2018-2019 Postdoc Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroLady

Gero Neuro Nerd
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! It looks like it's that time again!
This would be a good place to ask questions, share information, and generally commiserate.

Some information to get us started:

First applications look like they're due in November.

February 26th, 2018 is the universal notification date.

Some helpful links:
Here's the thread from last year... and two years before that.
UPPD
APPIC Postdoctoral Training Resources
APPIC Postdoctoral Selection Guidelines
APPA CAS
APPIC FAQ... anyone know if there is a new one?

What else?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
everything is the worst

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone figured out how to send undergrad or other grad transcripts through APPA CAS? Or do we know whether APPA CAS allows it?

If nothing has changed from last year, then there should be instructions on the site about requesting transcripts from your institution and having them sent directly to APPA CAS. Earlier the better since schools can take a while and APPA CAS folks take even longer to verify it and record it in their system.

Reactions: 1 user
If nothing has changed from last year, then there should be instructions on the site about requesting transcripts from your institution and having them sent directly to APPA CAS. Earlier the better since schools can take a while and APPA CAS folks take even longer to verify it and record it in their system.
Are you aware of whether they accept undergrad/ other grad transcripts? APPA CAS will only generate a letter with bar code for doctoral work and they state that they only require those transcripts. However, some sites list undergrad and/or all graduate transcripts as a requirement. FAQ has not been helpful. Although I may be missing something.

Are you aware of whether they accept undergrad/ other grad transcripts? APPA CAS will only generate a letter with bar code for doctoral work and they state that they only require those transcripts. However, some sites list undergrad and/or all graduate transcripts as a requirement. FAQ has not been helpful. Although I may be missing something.

I got the same impression and had my graduate transcripts only sent to the system. It was a nearly identical process as APPIC.

everything is the worst

How in the world are we doing this already? I submitted my first app yesterday!

Not sure about undergrad, but you may be able to upload these as supplementary documents (i.e., I don't know that APPA CAS actually validates these). You can always e-mail programs and ask what to do if it's not clear. I was terribly not on top of things and my transcripts actually went into the system after one deadline, but the training director was understanding- I am now at that site. :shifty:

It's strange sites are asking for undergrad at this stage, when you're just about done with the doctorate.

So are people having undergrad (or other graduate) transcripts sent to their house, scanned, and loading them as supplementary materials? Thanks!

I'm looking at research postdocs and feel like I'm on an island throughout this process :cryi:

Members don't see this ad :)
So are people having undergrad (or other graduate) transcripts sent to their house, scanned, and loading them as supplementary materials? Thanks!

Yes. I verified with sites whether they wanted official or unofficial transcripts. For the latter, I'm having official copies sent to my house and then scanning in.

What do people think of contacting group practices now about whether they are open to taking someone in the Fall of 2018? Is it way too early?

Yes. I verified with sites whether they wanted official or unofficial transcripts. For the latter, I'm having official copies sent to my house and then scanning in.
Same.

What do people think of contacting group practices now about whether they are open to taking someone in the Fall of 2018? Is it way too early?
I think it's a bit early. I think we have a lot more time to apply for the unofficial postdocs...?

Hey, Fellow Interns! I'd love to get some support on managing my climbing anxiety about unofficial postdocs. I am sitting out the post doc match, because my spouse is applying to doctoral programs and I am waiting to see what city we will be moving to. We should know any time between Feb and April (fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck). Intellectually, I have confidence in my training and am hopeful I will land something. Emotionally, I can't stop obsessing about how many potential official postdocs in ~15 different cities I am potentially missing out on. Anyway, I'll appreciate any input ya'll may have!

Hey, Fellow Interns! I'd love to get some support on managing my climbing anxiety about unofficial postdocs. I am sitting out the post doc match, because my spouse is applying to doctoral programs and I am waiting to see what city we will be moving to. We should know any time between Feb and April (fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck). Intellectually, I have confidence in my training and am hopeful I will land something. Emotionally, I can't stop obsessing about how many potential official postdocs in ~15 different cities I am potentially missing out on. Anyway, I'll appreciate any input ya'll may have!
Yeah, that's tough. I remember applying to grad schools that were either in the area my husband was in or was only 1 state away and my anxiety was pretty high. I did a lot of reminders to myself (reminding myself about how lucky I am to have my partner and what would life be like without him) and basically thought of those options as never having been options. I also thought that, in the grand scheme of things, it didn't really matter if I went to this one school or even had a specific career (I can pursue what I enjoy in various ways and this was just one way).

Yeah, that's tough. I remember applying to grad schools that were either in the area my husband was in or was only 1 state away and my anxiety was pretty high. I did a lot of reminders to myself (reminding myself about how lucky I am to have my partner and what would life be like without him) and basically thought of those options as never having been options. I also thought that, in the grand scheme of things, it didn't really matter if I went to this one school or even had a specific career (I can pursue what I enjoy in various ways and this was just one way).
I think you bring up a great point - postdoc will affect how 2018-2019 will go for me, but not how 2028, 2038, etc. will go for me. I have several training interests and have enjoyed a number of work settings, so I know I'll make the best of it, wherever and whatever postdoc might be. I just wish I didn't have to be in limbo for potentially 6 months!

Unofficial postdocs come up here and there at any time; you just have to keep your eyes open once you know where you're headed. I applied/interviewed for several different jobs via Indeed.com throughout a 3 month period of time after my internship ended and was offered 2 jobs; I picked the one I liked best. Vastly underpaid, as postdocs tend to be, but critical for getting hours for licensure. There are many unofficial postdocs out there that pop up here and there for all the folks who don't end up with an official one; you just have to keep your eyes open for "regular" jobs that offer psychologist supervision and postdocs that pop up that don't follow the usual hiring cycle, etc. Prior to finding a job, I tried networking with local folks, but that didn't result in any meaningful leads, so just applying to jobs was the most successful route for me. Good luck and don't stress too much!

Unofficial postdocs come up here and there at any time; you just have to keep your eyes open once you know where you're headed. I applied/interviewed for several different jobs via Indeed.com throughout a 3 month period of time after my internship ended and was offered 2 jobs; I picked the one I liked best. Vastly underpaid, as postdocs tend to be, but critical for getting hours for licensure. There are many unofficial postdocs out there that pop up here and there for all the folks who don't end up with an official one; you just have to keep your eyes open for "regular" jobs that offer psychologist supervision and postdocs that pop up that don't follow the usual hiring cycle, etc. Prior to finding a job, I tried networking with local folks, but that didn't result in any meaningful leads, so just applying to jobs was the most successful route for me. Good luck and don't stress too much!
Thanks for the reassurance! I keep my eyes peeled for Indeed.com jobs, but I just need to chill and focus on stuff I CAN control (dissertation, anyone??) until we pick a city.

Thanks for the reassurance! I keep my eyes peeled for Indeed.com jobs, but I just need to chill and focus on stuff I CAN control (dissertation, anyone??) until we pick a city.
It's definitely tough! If it helps, I had a long talk with my supervisor about career & life and she reminded me about how I ended up on a completely different path (from intense researcher to clinician only, from CBT to more integrative and interpersonal) and that we never know beforehand what is the "right" path for us, if there even is one. So even if we think or feel in our hearts that a path not taken was what we needed, sometimes all we can do is remain present and open to the paths that open in front of us. This really struck a chord with me when she said this and I wanted to share, in case it's helpful for you.

Really feeling for my letter writers who have so generously volunteered to submit multiple letters through both APPA CAS *AND* via email. I never thought I would miss the APPI.

Reactions: 3 users
Don't forget to also look at APA's early career/ career finder/ or wherever they post job openings. I can't remember where it was on the website exactly but might find some things there, or through the state psych association, or by frequently checking the local job listings on the website of local university etc (they don't always show up on indeed). Some folks have good luck with linked in and being contacted by people if they are moving to a particular area but I can't speak to that specifically- I don't have a linked in page.

that's a good strategy :) And the sooner you get that knocked out the more time you'll have to dedicate to the job search once you know where you are headed. FWIW, I have a couple of classmates who took a year / 1.5 years after internshp before doing postdoc (and are currently doing cool postdocs). In their case, to have kids, but people take time off for various reasons and apparently it still works out. So if you find yourself there for a few months before you manage to land anything, it's OK!

Hoping someone can help me with two questions:

1) Can sites see your incomplete application on APPA CAS *before* you submit? (I received an email that suggests this could be true...?)

2) Can you submit your application on APPA CAS *before* all of the evaluations are in?

My letter writers are submitting their letters which means I actually have to finish these cover letters. *groan*

Hoping someone can help me with two questions:

1) Can sites see your incomplete application on APPA CAS *before* you submit? (I received an email that suggests this could be true...?)

2) Can you submit your application on APPA CAS *before* all of the evaluations are in?

For #2, from APPA CAS FAQ:

Q: Must I wait for my evaluations to be complete before submitting my application?
A: It is not necessary, nor is it suggested, to wait until your evaluators have responded to submit your application.

For #2, from APPA CAS FAQ:

Q: Must I wait for my evaluations to be complete before submitting my application?
A: It is not necessary, nor is it suggested, to wait until your evaluators have responded to submit your application.
Nice! Thanks! In that case a handful of my apps will be submitted this weekend. Ugh. I can't believe this is real.

My letter writers are submitting their letters which means I actually have to finish these cover letters. *groan*

Oh right. Cover letters. Blah.

Does anyone know how the LORs aka Evaluations work within APPA CAS? It appears as if I would enter my letter writer's email and then I am assuming they will receive an email with a link to upload the letter? So if I am applying to say, 11 sites, they would have to do this 11 times?

Hello everyone! It looks like it's that time again!
This would be a good place to ask questions, share information, and generally commiserate.

Some information to get us started:

First applications look like they're due in November.

February 26th, 2018 is the universal notification date.

Some helpful links:
Here's the thread from last year... and two years before that.
UPPD
APPIC Postdoctoral Training Resources
APPIC Postdoctoral Selection Guidelines
APPA CAS
APPIC FAQ... anyone know if there is a new one?

What else?

https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2017-18-post-doc-interview-thread.1236390/

This is the thread for last year's invites/rejections

Does anyone know how the LORs aka Evaluations work within APPA CAS? It appears as if I would enter my letter writer's email and then I am assuming they will receive an email with a link to upload the letter? So if I am applying to say, 11 sites, they would have to do this 11 times?
Yep. One letter for each site. It's a drag. My letters writers have been awesome about it though and I gave them a heading/ address for each site to help facilitate the process (if they choose to address the letters individually).

Soooooo does anyone have advice re: who to select as letter writers? I am applying mainly to child/family community mental health and medical settings. Most are clinical-focused, but there are a couple 2-year postdocs with 50/50 clinical/research.

How important is it to include your dissertation chair as a letter writer to reassure regarding dissertation progress, particularly if that chair is the absent-minded-"what, I still have an advisee?"-foot-out-the-retirement-door type? Should I prioritize letter writers from my current internship site who can speak to my clinical and assessment skills? How about an externship supervisor to demonstrate positive relationships across settings??? Ahhhhh!

Right now I am thinking: 1) primary clinical supervisor from APPIC internship, 2) assessment supervisor from APPIC internship, 3) dissertation chair?! externship supervisor?! secondary clinical supervisor from APPIC internship?! DCT from my program?! :shrug:

Soooooo does anyone have advice re: who to select as letter writers?

I followed advice to have one letter writer from graduate school (my dissertation chair) and one from internship (primary supervisor). I switched my 3rd letter depending on the research emphasis of the postdoc position. I applied to primarily research sites but I had a few that were mostly clinical. used another research-heavy letter from a graduate school professor for the research sites and I used a 2nd clinical supervisor letter for the clinical sites.

Soooooo does anyone have advice re: who to select as letter writers? I am applying mainly to child/family community mental health and medical settings. Most are clinical-focused, but there are a couple 2-year postdocs with 50/50 clinical/research.

How important is it to include your dissertation chair as a letter writer to reassure regarding dissertation progress, particularly if that chair is the absent-minded-"what, I still have an advisee?"-foot-out-the-retirement-door type? Should I prioritize letter writers from my current internship site who can speak to my clinical and assessment skills? How about an externship supervisor to demonstrate positive relationships across settings??? Ahhhhh!

Right now I am thinking: 1) primary clinical supervisor from APPIC internship, 2) assessment supervisor from APPIC internship, 3) dissertation chair?! externship supervisor?! secondary clinical supervisor from APPIC internship?! DCT from my program?! :shrug:

Did you figure out what you're going to do? Most of the sites on my list have specific requests regarding letter writers... and they varied a bit... I did some excel ninja :ninja: work to figure out from whom to request a letter for which site(s). I ended up with two internship supervisors (different rotations)... a previous prac supervisor... my doc program adviser (he can speak to diss progress and my research experience)... and a smattering of letters from my internship program director and another smattering from my doc program director. None of them are writing letters for every site.

I just submitted my first app and may or may not have freaked out a little bit. :scared: Many more cover letters to finish and apps to submit over the next few weeks.

@syzergy have you already submitted all of your apps?! DANG!

How's everyone doing?

Has anyone heard about interviews for T32 research sites? If so, would you be willing to share where? Thanks!

I'm looking at research postdocs and feel like I'm on an island throughout this process :cryi:

I also love cats and applied to research postdocs. It is like an island, isn't it? My internship site gave essentially 0 guidance on research postdocs and it was like flying blind. Good luck!

I also love cats and applied to research postdocs. It is like an island, isn't it? My internship site gave essentially 0 guidance on research postdocs and it was like flying blind. Good luck!

fellow research fellowship-applier and cat lover here. Anyone heard any peeps from research sites, T32 or otherwise? I applied to some so long ago and know of some people who are interviewing at some research sites in December...not sure whether to interpret the silence from sites as disinterest or that it's still early.

fellow research fellowship-applier and cat lover here. Anyone heard any peeps from research sites, T32 or otherwise? I applied to some so long ago and know of some people who are interviewing at some research sites in December...not sure whether to interpret the silence from sites as disinterest or that it's still early.

I haven't heard from any... but I also haven't turned in many applications. Some are rolling deadlines so I need to get my butt in gear. Do you mind sharing which sites have sent out interview notifications?

I applied last year (in my first year of postdoc now) to two T32s and one of another type of postdoc training grant. Both T32s took their sweet, sweet time getting back to me. I'd been in contact with people from both sites for months but I don't think I got interview invitations until January, and even then I suspect it was because I had the other program's invite and they were getting their own butts in gear haha. How long have you had the apps out? Could probably email them for an update if it's been >1mo. Personally, I wouldn't chalk it up to disinterest yet, but I also did take responsiveness and organization of the program into account when making choices.

I applied last year (in my first year of postdoc now) to two T32s and one of another type of postdoc training grant. Both T32s took their sweet, sweet time getting back to me. I'd been in contact with people from both sites for months but I don't think I got interview invitations until January, and even then I suspect it was because I had the other program's invite and they were getting their own butts in gear haha. How long have you had the apps out? Could probably email them for an update if it's been >1mo. Personally, I wouldn't chalk it up to disinterest yet, but I also did take responsiveness and organization of the program into account when making choices.

Thanks for the info! This is very helpful to know that the current silence doesn't necessarily indicate disinterest. The email I got after I submitted my app (in October) said that they would be reviewing apps "through early spring" and to let them know if I get another offer before then - so it sound similar to your situation wherein they may review/offer an interview at that point. I am temped to check in since I'm really interested in this site, but I'm holding off since they seemed to indicate that I should check-in with them if/when I have another opportunity on the line.

@syzergy - I'll check in with my colleagues and definitely let you know

"So if I am applying to say, 11 sites, they would have to do this 11 times?" YUPPPPPPP. I gave my recommenders a heads up about it, stating that I would be applying to XXX sites and the first deadline would be on ____ and that the website would continue to send notifications for every time a letter would have to be uploaded...and a special thanks for them for writing me a letter.

Finding postdocs is a drag.......one of the more helpful things for me was having mentors, supervisors, etc. forward me emails about any postdocs they learn about.. I specified geographic area and type of postdocs I was interested in.

I am so missing the APPI process (can't believe I'm saying this). Organizing letter writers is so much more complicated for postdoc. I have different writers depending on the position and trying to keep track of APPA CAS, direct to site, sent to me is ROUGH. To my letter writers: Sorry I applied to so many positions.

The Boston VA is asking for a personal statement. Do you think it's okay to submit a cover letter instead?