2018-2019 Quinnipiac University (Netter)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawpy

42% Full Member
7+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Reaction score
Instructions: All applicants must complete questions 1 and 2. From the remaining five questions, select three additional questions and respond. Your responses to each questions cannot exceed 150 words. Type directly in the field or prepare your response with a word processing program and cut and paste it into fields.

Both questions 1 and 2 are required of all applicants.
  1. What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?

2. Please tell us something about yourself that is not captured in your application.

Please answer only three of the questions below.
  3. Discuss a personal role model (someone you know; not a historical or public figure). What attributes does this person possess that you admire and strive to emulate?

4. Which extracurricular activity is most important to you and why?

5. What non-academic advice would you give to your younger self?

6. Detail something about yourself (quality or non-academic accomplishment) that makes you extremely proud.

7. Describe your most humbling non-academic experience, and how that experience will affect your interactions with your peers and patients.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, I am SSG Jeremy Hodges, your local medical recruiter covering the state of Connecticut. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out to me. Best of luck to all of you!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone get a secondary from here yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I'm not mistaken, Quinnipiac screens before sending out secondaries.

Reactions: 1 users
Rising M2 at Netter, just adding myself to this thread. If anyone has any questions about the application process or Netter in general let me know and best of luck!

Rising M2 at Netter, just adding myself to this thread. If anyone has any questions about the application process or Netter in general let me know and best of luck!
Hi! Can you talk about the vibe around campus (competitive vs. collaborative) as well as your experience with the area around Quinnipiac?

Thank you in advance :)

Hi! Can you talk about the vibe around campus (competitive vs. collaborative) as well as your experience with the area around Quinnipiac?

Thank you in advance :)
Definitely collaborative; many of us study together and we share resources through a google drive and the facebook page. The area around Quinnipiac itself is subrurban with a lot of affordable housing and good places for hiking. New Haven is 15min south from the school which has a good city vibe and plenty of great food places and fun bars. It is no NYC of course, but NYC itself is an easy 1.5hr train ride away which we've done some weekends. I myself live closer to the school and prefer just taking an Uber or car pooling in to New Haven.

Members don't see this ad :)
What made you decide on Quinnipiac?
I think the top thing was how I just clicked with the school and current students. Sounds cheesy and I used to think the whole "fit" thing was kind of BS but that's how I'd explain my feelings during interview day and now my first year.

I also liked how the curriculum is a blend of regular lectures and small groups/PBL. I interviewed at some PBL only schools and very lecture heavy schools with both those extremes making for poor education systems for opposite reasons, in my opinion.
The fact that Netter is still relatively new means we have significant input as students. We have class reps sitting on different boards, test run potential new professors, and the surveys we fill out (while quite numerous) actually have led to positive changes. But now having 2 classes have a 100% match rate removes some of the new school apprehensions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Prompts @Lawper

Instructions: All applicants must complete questions 1 and 2. From the remaining five questions, select three additional questions and respond. Your responses to each questions cannot exceed 150 words. Type directly in the field or prepare your response with a word processing program and cut and paste it into fields.

1. What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?

2. Please tell us something about yourself that is not captured in your application.

3. Discuss a personal role model (someone you know; not a historical or public figure). What attributes does this person possess that you admire and strive to emulate?

6. Detail something about yourself (quality or non-academic accomplishment) that makes you extremely proud.

7. Describe your most humbling non-academic experience, and how that experience will affect your interactions with your peers and patients.

Based on what you know from your fellow classmates, do you think I have a chance of getting accepted with a 509 MCAT, 3.88 sGPA and 3.99 cGPA? This is my top choice..especially since I'm tied to the region.

Based on what you know from your fellow classmates, do you think I have a chance of getting accepted with a 509 MCAT, 3.88 sGPA and 3.99 cGPA? This is my top choice..especially since I'm tied to the region.
Looks good on paper, good luck!

Prompts @Lawper

hey im trying to prewrite this secondary and noticed it doesn't ssay anything about the word count for the questions 1 and 2. is there truly no word count for these 2 questions?

Hey Everyone! I just got a secondary too. I have put in all my courses but the page still says I'm incomplete. Anyone else have this issue?

Hey Everyone! I just got a secondary too. I have put in all my courses but the page still says I'm incomplete. Anyone else have this issue?

Did you include a full year for every course (except biochemistry I think)? I know you need to have at least two entries for both English and Math to make up two semesters. Otherwise, I would contact the admissions office.

I believe every verified applicant gets a secondary. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Are there student organizations that are actually participated in? Like things beyond class work that brings students together?

Does anyone have any tips on how to approach this prompt? Would you use a second-person perspective?
e.g.: younger self, you should be more open...
I would just write normally.

Maybe they’re looking for creativity though so if you write it like a letter, that’s something new I guess

Does anyone have any tips on how to approach this prompt? Would you use a second-person perspective?
e.g.: younger self, you should be more open...
I would just write normally.

Maybe they’re looking for creativity though so if you write it like a letter, that’s something new I guess

I think their prompts have a lot more room for creativity than many other medical schools. I say so long as it's professional/in good taste, do what you want :) I'm sure they've seen it all...

Reactions: 2 users
Are there student organizations that are actually participated in? Like things beyond class work that brings students together?
Absolutely! A ton of student organization for the specialties, volunteering ones, variois support groups, etc. All well attended and supported.

I'm not sure, I think it is just stats though?
I wasn't able to locate whether the screen is a stat or holistic one, or if there's a screen at all. But thanks for the heads up!

By stats or holisticness?
I wasn't able to locate whether the screen is a stat or holistic one, or if there's a screen at all. But thanks for the heads up!
It is a combination of the two. There is an initial algorithm that factors stats and (to some extent) experiences to screen out people. From there the app is reviewed by a team for holisticness. So they do not have a real cut off and the screen is based on the whole picture, but that can mean a few different things.

It is a combination of the two. There is an initial algorithm that factors stats and (to some extent) experiences to screen out people. From there the app is reviewed by a team for holisticness. So they do not have a real cut off and the screen is based on the whole picture, but that can mean a few different things.
This sounds like a stat screen plus a keyword search

This is what I found on MSAR:
Secondary Applications sent to - all screened applicants determined to meet minimum eligibility requirements

This is what I found on MSAR:
Secondary Applications sent to - all screened applicants determined to meet minimum eligibility requirements
But I don't see what the "minimum" is on the MSAR or on the school website, which is where I got confused.

Did you include a full year for every course (except biochemistry I think)? I know you need to have at least two entries for both English and Math to make up two semesters. Otherwise, I would contact the admissions office.
YEAH, you were right I needed two semesters for Math and that's what I changed thanks though!

For "What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?" are people approaching this as clinical practice vs. academic medicine or a specialty you are interested in?

For "What area of medicine do you envision yourself working in at the end of your training? What is shaping your vision?" are people approaching this as clinical practice vs. academic medicine or a specialty you are interested in?
Either one or both. Also while Netter has a primary care focus, many classmates wrote about specialties outside of primary care. Just keep in mind that you and your opinions may very well change so keep an open mind.

Last edited:
I have a similar question: can we use that space to say a specific patient population vs a specialty?