2018-2019 Rocky Vista University (Ivins, Utah)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got an II last week and the only one I could make was 1st weeks of December. I know the email says 80% acceptance after interview, but is this late interview date going to lower my chances? I just need some support I guess.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

How long did you have to wait to hear back from admissions following your interview? It has been about 7 business days so far and I am stressing because I thought I remember hearing I'd hear back the following week.

How long did you have to wait to hear back from admissions following your interview? It has been about 7 business days so far and I am stressing because I thought I remember hearing I'd hear back the following week.
I actually think it's 2 weeks. So Maybe you could catch the new Fantastic Beast movie and get nervous with me. Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually think it's 2 weeks. So Maybe you could catch the new Fantastic Beast movie and get nervous with me. Lol

Aww, I need to be stressed for another week :( Also good luck, if you end up taking the December interview! If you have any questions about interview day just let me know

Current students, do you feel like you are receiving a pretty good education and practice on OMM? I know some schools really stress OMM and give students over 200 hours within the first 2 years. Also is there any type of clinical experience within the first two years?

Website says:
"Students are exposed to clinical settings in their first semester, which gives them the opportunity to prepare for the "real world" of medicine" but i read that some of you haven't actually had that clinical experience..?

Last edited:
Just received an interview here. I'm from Missouri and have been accepted to A.T. Still University in Kirksville and ARCOM in Fort Smith, AR. Can anyone weigh in on if it is worth it for me to book a flight and interview at Rocky Vista even though I have other acceptances? What are the reasons students choose this school over others?

hey im in the same boat as you! message me!

hey im in the same boat as you! message me!
I would say check it out. I was very impressed by the school to the Point where I would gladly go there over certain MDs. Also, you can certainly squeeze in a day to check out nearby Zion National Park. You can't put a price on that man.

Current students, do you feel like you are receiving a pretty good education and practice on OMM? I know some schools really stress OMM and give students over 200 hours within the first 2 years. Also is there any type of clinical experience within the first two years?

Website says:
"Students are exposed to clinical settings in their first semester, which gives them the opportunity to prepare for the "real world" of medicine" but i read that some of you haven't actually had that clinical experience..?

I feel like the amount OMM is appropriate. On average 2-hours of lab/week with varying amounts of lectures, 0-2 hours a week. Also of plenty of open labs, I haven't heard a single student say they want more OMM.
As far as Clinical Settings, my hope is more doors open in the future. That being said the website is talking about the Standardized Patient experiences. Basically, you learn a physical exam and they have you demonstrate with a live person that role plays as a patient. I like them, sometimes you wish you were doing something else but they are helpful and informative.

Anybody that interviewed on Nov 5 hear back yet? I though they told us we would be notified on 11/19.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if there are non-LDS churches in Ivins? also has the large mormon population had any affect on students that aren't initially from Utah?

Sorry for all the posts, but in the waitlist email it says we can "send any additional supporting documentation (updated grades, letters of acceptance at other U.S. medical schools, etc)". I have an acceptance from another school, do you think sending them the letter of acceptance will actually be beneficial and has anyone done this before?

Sorry for all the posts, but in the waitlist email it says we can "send any additional supporting documentation (updated grades, letters of acceptance at other U.S. medical schools, etc)". I have an acceptance from another school, do you think sending them the letter of acceptance will actually be beneficial and has anyone done this before?
Well they do ask for it so it can't hurt especially in light of the deadline approaching quickly to put down a deposit.

Hey all I'm just starting my second year. If you have questions about RVUCOM-SU campus let me know. Good luck with this long process!
Hi! I have an interview here and I was wondering what it's like? Is it open book? 1-1? professors/student? etc? Thank-you! Also as a student here, how do you like it? was it your first choice? how're the classes and the student body in terms of competitiveness? I guess the over all vibe I mean.

Hi! I have an interview here and I was wondering what it's like? Is it open book? 1-1? professors/student? etc? Thank-you! Also as a student here, how do you like it? was it your first choice? how're the classes and the student body in terms of competitiveness? I guess the over all vibe I mean.

Congrats!

The interview is supposed to be pretty conversational. They can see your application but do not see your scores, they are more trying to get to know you as a person. So be able to talk about the activities you listed and show them that you are a genuine person. It's two faculty interviewering each student. The one thing i say you should do is "over prepare". I had a two interviews at different schools where I was told it was conversational and relaxed and it ended up being quite the opposite. So I would prepare by practicing answering the "normal" (slightly difficult) interview questions and hopefully you are surprised by how relaxed it is. But it really depends on which interviewer you get matched up with that day. But just remember they are looking for reasons to accept you not really looking for reasons to reject you.

I really enjoy school here. It was definitely the best choice out of the options that I had. Out of my acceptances, my top choices were KCU RVU and Des Moines, but i ultimately decided on RVU. All of those are great schools but, looking back I'm glad I did. It has definitely been an advantage for me to be relatively close to home (within 6 hours) and in a place that I really enjoy (it's beautiful here). I feel that academically RVU pushes us hard and prepares us for boards. I really like the majority of the professors, and some of the best ones are on our campus. Just know that if you come here you WILL work hard. I think the tough curriculum is part of why a lot of RVU students are successful in rotations and on boards.

The students are generally really nice here. There are many students who share resources and help each other out. I'm not going to say there aren't gunners here and that some people don't feel left because there are (probably at any school), but the majority of students are really chill. I don't get to see the first year students as much but it seems like they have also gotten along really well with each other (maybe even better than our class), so I hope that trend continues.

No matter where you go, I think a lot of it depends on you personally. A lot of people might seem more cold than they really are. Just be friendly and you'll find out that most people are really cool and helpful.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Put on the alternate list for Utah campus. Hopefully there is some waitlist movevment.
I interviewed the same day as you I think and was also put on the alternate list. Thought the interview went really well but hopefully some spots open up! Have you heard any updates yet?

Hey guys! I was accepted in late October, but just withdrew my application. I hope this spot goes to one of you!

Ill be reluctantly giving up my acceptance here due to an acceptance to a school closer to home. Was super impressed with the school and the Dean! (he called personally to ask for update on my decision, he really cares about his students!) Hopefully this will open up a spot for one of you all!!

I interviewed the same day as you I think and was also put on the alternate list. Thought the interview went really well but hopefully some spots open up! Have you heard any updates yet?
I have not, sadly. I’m nervous that I won’t hear anything until Feb/March and have already made a decision by then and be looking at apartments, etc.

does anyone know if there are non-LDS churches in Ivins? also has the large mormon population had any affect on students that aren't initially from Utah?

Lots of other churches. My next door neighbor is a Christian preacher with a church in the area. There is Jehovas Witness building nearby the school and tons of different churches in st. George.

That said, the vast majority of people here are LDS. That culture definitely dominates. No bar/social scene, not many people drink alcohol. Lots of young families and the area is very conservative. Very little ethnic diversity as well. Community is 90% white people.

I’m from Utah so this is the culture I’m used too. I’m sure it is a culture shock for those coming from other areas of the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Declined my acceptance here. Loved the school and area but just not for me. The dean at the school is super nice and helpful. During my interview I could tell he really cared about the students.
Good luck everyone!

Just got a call @ 10:30! Interviewed 12 days ago. LizzyM 65.
I thought the interview went poor and was very scared.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted today! Loved the school and the area. Really nice students and staff.

Was accepted to another school and withdrew my acceptance from RVU-UT. Best of luck everyone and hope to see you in the future at some point!

Is anyone aware of RVU's avg COMLEX and USMLE scores? Might head over to the Parker thread to ask as well since they talked about reporting all program scores as a whole..

For those of you currently attending or in the area, does RVU provide any discounts to local gyms? That's one of the only downfalls I noted while I was there. I've looked up gym facilities in the area but was wondering if RVU has addressed that.

For those of you currently attending or in the area, does RVU provide any discounts to local gyms? That's one of the only downfalls I noted while I was there. I've looked up gym facilities in the area but was wondering if RVU has addressed that.

No discounts. Gyms are $10-$20/month.

Just got accepted off the alternate list! It's a dream come true! Can't wait to live in St. George!

Reactions: 3 users
For those who have been accepted, how do we go about sending our health records/immunizations to the school? Is it done through the PreCheck website?

Placed on the alternate list today :( interview was on 2/5/19. Luckily, I have other acceptances, but I really liked the campus and the people!

Anyone know when we can maybe expect some movement off the waitlist? Early March?

Received an acceptance offer yesterday and plan on attending. Anyone on here looking to rent a house near the campus?

Interviewed Jan 29 but found out last night (Feb 12) I was put on the alternate list... What exactly does this mean for RVUCOM-SU??

Received an acceptance offer yesterday and plan on attending. Anyone on here looking to rent a house near the campus?
I was looking at houses in the area but couldn't decide if I could find an apartment/house that would beat the price of on campus living. Would be interested in finding a decently close house with a prospective student tho!

How do you current students feel about clinical rotations? Everyone says be wary, but it looks like quite a few of the sites do have residency programs there as well? And Dean Parker talked about partnering with Intermountain Healthcare. Anyone care to let me know how they feel about rotations here moving forward?

I was looking at houses in the area but couldn't decide if I could find an apartment/house that would beat the price of on campus living. Would be interested in finding a decently close house with a prospective student tho!

See my post above about housing. For me off campus is better, even at a comparable price. I secured a rental around May-ish (?) before school started. I suggest looking on FB/Criagslist and avoiding property management companies.

How do you current students feel about clinical rotations? Everyone says be wary, but it looks like quite a few of the sites do have residency programs there as well? And Dean Parker talked about partnering with Intermountain Healthcare. Anyone care to let me know how they feel about rotations here moving forward?

At this point no one knows, but we're hopeful they'll be good. Getting IHC was a good achievement, but until we get into our rotations, we really won't know.

My friend who is a 4th year at another DO school came back to live in Utah for the majority of his 3rd and 4th years and set up his own rotations in Utah. He has said it is one of the better decisions he has made being able to have the ability to be first help at some of the lesser staffed facilities. As he is interviewing and doing his away clerkships at Vanderbilt, Alabama, Mayo, etc., the residents have been shocked at his experience and has made him feel very comfortable about his abilities. As long as you are working hard to try to get good experience even if it’s in the boonies, you can still have terrific experience.

Reactions: 1 users
See my post above about housing. For me off campus is better, even at a comparable price. I secured a rental around May-ish (?) before school started. I suggest looking on FB/Criagslist and avoiding property management companies.

At this point no one knows, but we're hopeful they'll be good. Getting IHC was a good achievement, but until we get into our rotations, we really won't know.

How did you go about finding your roommates?

Anyone know if they're still sending out IIs? I know the Parker campus was full as of a few weeks ago. Thanks!

Im going to get a facebook group for the class of 2023 started (so long as one doesn't already exist?). It requires me to send an invite to at least one person to create the page. If someone is willing to share their FB contact info we can get things started!

Im going to get a facebook group for the class of 2023 started (so long as one doesn't already exist?). It requires me to send an invite to at least one person to create the page. If someone is willing to share their FB contact info we can get things started!
I saw one already but there's like, no activity on it yet! Would like people to at least introduce themselves or something lol. Maybe another would be benefitial..? I wanna say there's only like 20 something likes/subscribes

I saw one already but there's like, no activity on it yet! Would like people to at least introduce themselves or something lol. Maybe another would be benefitial..? I wanna say there's only like 20 something likes/subscribes

I cant seem to find it... could you post a link?

Just got accepted off the alternate list! It's a dream come true! Can't wait to live in St. George!

Can I message you about the alternate list? I'm in the same boat and wondering what kinds of updates you sent, whether or not you had any correspondence with the adcom, etc, any and all advice is appreciated :)