2018-2019 Rocky Vista University (Parker, Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if they pre screen? 499 mcat (127,120,126,126) 3.87 gpa 3.82 sgpa. Ik I’m an underdog since my mcat is trash, but I heard a lot of schools give leeway towards cars. Have a do letter & everything else. Planning on retaking September rn, but we’ll see
Is English your second language? If so you can definitely spin it in your favor. Otherwise I'm not sure if they'll overlook a 120 CARS.

Sent from my SM-G955U using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

So if I only have about 160 hours of hospital volunteer when I submitted plus the amount since then and until matriculation, is it worth the $100 to send in an app if they look on clinical interactions so highly? I think this is a fantastic school, but I also think not throwing money completely in the fire is also fantastic. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
So if I only have about 160 hours of hospital volunteer when I submitted plus the amount since then and until matriculation, is it worth the $100 to send in an app if they look on clinical interactions so highly? I think this is a fantastic school, but I also think not throwing money completely in the fire is also fantastic. Thanks!
I'd still apply. 160 hospital volunteer hours is not an insignificant amount of time and honestly, no one really knows how these adcoms look at our applications

Reactions: 1 user
Ya it is, but I was told it’s a hard screen D:
Well you won't really know till you try. I don't know where you heard their criteria for screening like that because I haven't seen anything on their website so it's all hearsay my opinion. Regardless, You could always mention on the next application cycle that you applied to that school and there are things that you did better name me the MCAT. Granted this is if you do not get in the cycle but I'm sure if you apply to a newer schools like Idaho they will probably give you a shot because your science is solid and that's probably all you need to do well on boards

I was admitted with no DO letter of rec and <160 hours of clinical volunteering, FWIW. Although admittedly my experience becomes worth less and less each year we get from when I matriculated. Still, it would be very surprising to hear RVU has shifted its culture enough to require osteo letters or tons and tons of volunteering, so I wouldn't be discouraged on those fronts.

My patient care is mostly volunteering at the hospital for 500 hours but I don't have exactly "CNA, EMT experience". Just the typical ED stuff.
That could be it.

Don't worry about it, sounds like you have a good application, and the fact that you have another II means you probably don't have some horrible red flag hiding in your app. Getting rejections from random schools for unclear reasons that will still be baffling to you years later is a natural part of med school applications.

I was admitted with no DO letter of rec and <160 hours of clinical volunteering, FWIW. Although admittedly my experience becomes worth less and less each year we get from when I matriculated. Still, it would be very surprising to hear RVU has shifted its culture enough to require osteo letters or tons and tons of volunteering, so I wouldn't be discouraged on those fronts.

Don't worry about it, sounds like you have a good application, and the fact that you have another II means you probably don't have some horrible red flag hiding in your app. Getting rejections from random schools for unclear reasons that will still be baffling to you years later is a natural part of med school applications.

Yeah it's just weird. One minute my app wasn't complete due to no letters being in. The next minute I'm rejected.

Yeah it's just weird. One minute my app wasn't complete due to no letters being in. The next minute I'm rejected.
It probably was the lack of actual clinical experience. Either way I agree with the other poster. If your II at azcom is indication of anything it's that you have a solid app otherwise.

This year, they only had one primary app in AACOMAS.
On the secondary, they asked for you to choose which campus you preferred and if you selected no preference, they would make the decision for you.

Do you think I shot myself in the foot by selecting "no preference?" I feel like they won't extend me an invitation unless they have a vacant seat in either campus at the end of the cycle.

OMS-1 chiming in. Just to piggy back off of what some other people are saying about clinical experience: I 100% believe that RVU wants students to come to them with real clinical experience. The majority of my classmates (and myself) have a year or more of hands-on clinical work, not volunteering. I would say greater than 60% of us. Just a little anecdote.

Reactions: 5 users
Damn, my stats are similar to yours, 3.65 and 510, and I also don't have a DO letter or shadowing haha so I'll probably get the reject also
Stay positive! 3.65/508, no DO letter but I managed to get an II.
Although I do have a lot of clinical experience: 3000+ ED scribing, 400+ as a volunteer MA over 3 years, + others

Last edited:
Stay positive! 3.65/508, no DO letter but I managed to get an II.
Although I do have a lot of clinical experience: 3000+ ED scribing, 400+ as a volunteer MA over 3 years, + others
Glad to hear they value clinical experience. I'm OOS but I have 650 hrs as a medical assistant, 700 hrs as a scribe, and 400 hrs hospital volunteering. I hope that's enough. Would really like a shot at this school.

Reactions: 3 users
Glad to hear they value clinical experience. I'm OOS but I have 650 hrs as a medical assistant, 700 hrs as a scribe, and 400 hrs hospital volunteering. I hope that's enough. Would really like a shot at this school.
so were kinda the same then~ hopefully it works out for u too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

Anyone got II for CO campus? There has been total silence in this forum since the last batch of IIs a while ago. Just wondering if anyone can share an update.

I just received a rejection email post-secondary due to the competitive nature of the applicant pool. I submitted my secondary on 8/3. 507 MCAT, 3.80 cgpa, 3.79 sgpa. I have more volunteer than actual clinical experience.

I just received a rejection email post-secondary due to the competitive nature of the applicant pool. I submitted my secondary on 8/3. 507 MCAT, 3.80 cgpa, 3.79 sgpa. I have more volunteer than actual clinical experience.

Brutal. Sorry, man. With those stats you'll find luck somewhere. When were you file complete?

Brutal. Sorry, man. With those stats you'll find luck somewhere. When were you file complete?
I never got the notice that I was file complete. I was still waiting on my LOR from a DO when I got that email.

Brutal.
I got rejected too with higher stats as well. Also more volunteering than clinical (guess they prefer non-trads who have more time to actually work)

Brutal.
I got rejected too with higher stats as well. Also more volunteering than clinical (guess they prefer non-trads who have more time to actually work)
I am a nontraditional student. I took off this past year to do a year of service. They probably want people who have been scribes or have other experience. Oh well!

I am a nontraditional student. I took off this past year to do a year of service. They probably want people who have been scribes or have other experience. Oh well!

I'm so sorry to hear about your rejection but I am always excited to meet fellow post-grad service members. I'm sure you will find amazing opportunities elsewhere!
But I just wanted to let those who have similar experiences know not to get discouraged either. I also did a year of service and I am interviewing at RVU in a few weeks.
Don't lose hope! Know that you are unique and you have your own story to tell!

Good luck to all!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm so sorry to hear about your rejection but I am always excited to meet fellow post-grad service members. I'm sure you will find amazing opportunities elsewhere!
But I just wanted to let those who have similar experiences know not to get discouraged either. I also did a year of service and I am interviewing at RVU in a few weeks.
Don't lose hope! Know that you are unique and you have your own story to tell!

Good luck to all!
Lol thanks mom

Lol thanks mom

giphy.gif

You should be good!

Hi there,

Anyone got II for CO campus? There has been total silence in this forum since the last batch of IIs a while ago. Just wondering if anyone can share an update.
Maybe they send them out in batches.

Radisson says the "RVU rate" is all booked out (not rooms just the special rate), but will still add me to the shuttle group....seriously?

Radisson says the "RVU rate" is all booked out (not rooms just the special rate), but will still add me to the shuttle group....seriously?
I would get in touch with the manager. The school probably spends a lot of money getting that discounted rate.

Does anyone know if both campuses will contact you regarding II?

I applied for both campuses, received II for the southern utah campus but have not heard anything from CO. Will they send a a rejection email or do i just assume?

How long after submitting did you guys wait until the applicant tab showed up? I submitted my application but didn't see a place to submit payment. I also don't have an applicant tab on my portal.

Edit: Any ideas? The portal states to wait "several minutes" before the tab appears. It's now been hours since I submitted. Anyone else experience this?

Last edited:

I applied for both campuses, received II for the southern utah campus but have not heard anything from CO. Will they send a a rejection email or do i just assume?
I think you picked a preference on your application. If not, I would assume they pick a campus for you and you would only get one II from one campus.

Anyone got the pre-interview jitters for this coming week.... So excited but also nervous- my first interview is at CO campus

Anyone got the pre-interview jitters for this coming week.... So excited but also nervous- my first interview is at CO campus

Also interviewing this week, and feel similarly

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone confirm where on the portal the "Applicant" tab appears? I just want to be sure I'm not simply missing it before contacting the admissions office.

Can anyone confirm where on the portal the "Applicant" tab appears? I just want to be sure I'm not simply missing it before contacting the admissions office.
At the top right under the My Vista logo

Attachments

• rvu.PNG
    rvu.PNG
    47.2 KB · Views: 81

If you selected "no preference," the decision was made for you. You are being considered for the SU campus only.

rejection post-secondary today :'( 3.73 cGPA, 3.37 sGPA, 515 MCAT

rejection post-secondary today :'( 3.73 cGPA, 3.37 sGPA, 515 MCAT
Dang, you will definitely get in somewhere else with those stats though! Good luck! How were your EC's? And do you have employed clinical experience? Since this school seems to value that so greatly

Just got an interview! No email, no anything. I just logged onto the portal and it was there?

Woohoo!

Dang, you will definitely get in somewhere else with those stats though! Good luck! How were your EC's? And do you have employed clinical experience? Since this school seems to value that so greatly

haha, thanks for the sentiment.

i have ECs of leadership in a public health focused non-profit org, being a resident advisor, and clinical research x2 years; for clinical experience, i have the research and I've been scribing for about a year. i think i'm probably lacking in connection to Colorado (am from the Midwest) and in volunteering experiences (no consistent meaningful volunteering experiences)

not too unhappy since this school is so selective w/ their interviews but obviously rejection is not a confidence booster.

good luck everyone! :)

I just had an interview here this week. Great school, good luck to everyone applying. They said they would let our group know by early next week with their admissions decision.

here are some of my statistics if anyone wanted some comparisons.

MCAT. 1st 499 2nd 504
GPA 3.54cGPA 3.4sGPA 3.54GradGPA

Little bit of research, solid EC, lots of volunteer, and outside 100 hours of shadowing, about 300 hours of working in a clinical setting.

My LOR are excellent (comittee school wrote me their highest category reccommendation - top 10%)

No DO LOR, no prior service, no Colorado connections at all.

I am planning on pursuing military medicine and that is reflected in my application.

AACOMAS submitted June 17th
AACOMAS verified June 22nd
RVUCOM secondary submitted June 28th
Interview Invite July 11th.

I also have 3 more interviews at BCOM, PNWU, and LMUDCOM coming up, and I expect a few more before the end of the cycle.

Goodluck to everyone, RVUCOM was fantastic, and I can't wait until the news next week.