2018-2019 Rocky Vista University (Parker, Colorado)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just had an interview here this week. Great school, good luck to everyone applying. They said they would let our group know by early next week with their admissions decision.

here are some of my statistics if anyone wanted some comparisons.

MCAT. 1st 499 2nd 504
GPA 3.54cGPA 3.4sGPA 3.54GradGPA

Little bit of research, solid EC, lots of volunteer, and outside 100 hours of shadowing, about 300 hours of working in a clinical setting.

My LOR are excellent (comittee school wrote me their highest category reccommendation - top 10%)

No DO LOR, no prior service, no Colorado connections at all.

I am planning on pursuing military medicine and that is reflected in my application.

AACOMAS submitted June 17th
AACOMAS verified June 22nd
RVUCOM secondary submitted June 28th
Interview Invite July 11th.

I also have 3 more interviews at BCOM, PNWU, and LMUDCOM coming up, and I expect a few more before the end of the cycle.

Goodluck to everyone, RVUCOM was fantastic, and I can't wait until the news next week.

I also interviewed this week. Was told the admissions committee is meeting today, and that we'd find out Monday or Tuesday next week

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I also interviewed this week. Was told the admissions committee is meeting today, and that we'd find out Monday or Tuesday next week

Can you give any feedback on how the interview went?
Not specific questions of course, but what type of interview what type of questions to expect?
Thanks in advance!

Not specific questions of course, but what type of interview what type of questions to expect?
Thanks in advance!

I felt the interview went very well. Pretty relaxed. Took a couple questions to get comfortable, but the interviewers (2) did their best to make it as conversational and relaxing as possible. All but two or three questions were related to my file and experiences. There was one question I never thought of, so it was nice to be put on the spot in a good way and give a sincere, totally unrehearsed/pre-meditated answer

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I felt the interview went very well. Pretty relaxed. Took a couple questions to get comfortable, but the interviewers (2) did their best to make it as conversational and relaxing as possible. All but two or three questions were related to my file and experiences. There was one question I never thought of, so it was nice to be put on the spot in a good way and give a sincere, totally unrehearsed/pre-meditated answer

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!
I’m interviewing here on the 7th so I’m trying to start getting prepared on what to expect!

Thanks in advance!
Be genuine and know your application.

Thanks in advance!

So I also interviewed here this week, and they advertise how relaxed it is the entire time you are there. Yet my interview was not relaxed at all and it definitely caught me off guard and I didn’t feel like I was being myself. It might’ve totally screwed me over. My best advice is to not make the same mistake I did. Expect this to be just like any other interview regardless of what they advertise in their emails and at their interview. My room almost felt like a “good cop bad cop” scenario where one of them was trying to see how I handled pressure. The school is beautiful, the faculty rocks, and George is the man. I hope this helps!

Reactions: 3 users
So I also interviewed here this week, and they advertise how relaxed it is the entire time you are there. Yet my interview was not relaxed at all and it definitely caught me off guard and I didn’t feel like I was being myself. It might’ve totally screwed me over. My best advice is to not make the same mistake I did. Expect this to be just like any other interview regardless of what they advertise in their emails and at their interview. My room almost felt like a “good cop bad cop” scenario where one of them was trying to see how I handled pressure. The school is beautiful, the faculty rocks, and George is the man. I hope this helps!
George was the best!

Last edited:

I think it all depends on your interviewers because mine were really laid back and just really genuine and welcoming. But I definitely noticed some interviewers seemed really serious. Just be yourself and try to feel out the interviewers towards the beginning!

I think it all depends on your interviewers because mine were really laid back and just really genuine and welcoming. But I definitely noticed some interviewers seemed really serious. Just be yourself and try to feel out the interviewers towards the beginning!
+1, I agree with this.

Interviewed last week, Accepted today!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Sorry for your experience! When ever someone asks me about the interview I try lean them toward preparing for it like any other med school interview. It's better to go in and be surprised by how casual it is than by how 'hard' it is. I interviewed at both campuses and my interview at Utah was much more intense than the one at CO even though they both said they were easy going. Totally depends on the interviewer. Hope it all goes well and you get good news

I interviewed last week as well and received an acceptance earlier today!

Reactions: 2 users
interviewing next week! nervous but the feedback so far sounds really good, so im hopeful cause RVU is my top choice! any advice from acceptee/interviewees?

interviewing next week! nervous but the feedback so far sounds really good, so I'm hopeful cause RVU is my top choice! any advice from acceptee/interviewees?

As I'm sure you have noticed, there is some variance between what people experienced. I would look up a list of common med school interview questions and think about how you would answer them. Also, you should review your primary and supplementary application. My interview included the typical interview questions, ethical questions, and questions about my application. However, it was a very relaxed atmosphere. So basically, prepare for a traditional interview and hope for a relaxed one.

If you have an interviewer that is trying to get a "rise" out of you, then stay calm and deliver your answers with confidence. If they disagree with something you have said or offer a different viewpoint about an ethical question then stay calm, consider it, and explain why you agree or disagree with what they have said.

Also, prepare some questions for the interviewers.

Finally, enjoy the day. I was quite nervous, but it was a great experience and I was extremely impressed with the RVU faculty, staff, students, and facilities.

Reactions: 3 users
interviewing next week! nervous but the feedback so far sounds really good, so im hopeful cause RVU is my top choice! any advice from acceptee/interviewees?
Be genuine and try to relax a little right before the interview (i.e. drink some water, do superman poses in the bathroom, etc.). Know why you want to be a physician and show them your passion.

Accepted!!! Congrats to everyone else accepted!

For those heading into an interview: I will mimic others in saying read over and prepare for common interview questions, be yourself, and try to enjoy the day! (Good luck!)

RVU impressed and I’d be surprised if I don’t end up there next fall!

Reactions: 5 users
Just checked my portal today and it says I've been put on the waitlist for an interview.

I got accepted here this Monday as well. My best advice for people who will be interviewing soon here is to be yourself. The interview is very laid back, and when I say that, I seriously mean it. My interviewers and I were making jokes back and forth towards the beginning which decreased the amount of pressure and let me show off my personality. If you go in confidently and come prepared to speak about the important aspects of your experiences you will do well. The two people who interviewed me based their questions around my experiences for the most part.

I got accepted here this Monday as well. My best advice for people who will be interviewing soon here is to be yourself. The interview is very laid back, and when I say that, I seriously mean it. My interviewers and I were making jokes back and forth towards the beginning which decreased the amount of pressure and let me show off my personality. If you go in confidently and come prepared to speak about the important aspects of your experiences you will do well. The two people who interviewed me based their questions around my experiences for the most part.
I think we had the same interviewers haha.

+1
Anybody have any advice for this? Rocky Vista is one of my top choices.
Yeah I'm not too sure what to make of it, my guess is maybe we will receive an interview later in the cycle, if they still have interviews to give. Looks like all we can do is keep working on the weak points of our app and update the school later on in the cycle.

I just checked my portal and saw that I was put on the interview waitlist. Anyone else have experience with this or know how much the waitlist moves?

I just checked my portal and saw that I was put on the interview waitlist. Anyone else have experience with this or know how much the waitlist moves?
I was just put on this as well!

For all you guys who were also put on the interview waitlist. Check your portals again. I just checked mine and they removed it from my status and now it just says my file is complete. Maybe it could have been an error?

Definitely confirm with admissions about any confusion. I received an interview invite email, and then a few minutes later received a rejection email. I called them and they said it was a system error, and they said that I do indeed have an II.

For all you guys who were also put on the interview waitlist. Check your portals again. I just checked mine and they removed it from my status and now it just says my file is complete. Maybe it could have been an error?
Yeah, that happened to me also.

How did you guys send thank yous? Like did u ask for their email or something or just send a letter to admissions and ask them to forward it to your interviewers?

How did you guys send thank yous? Like did u ask for their email or something or just send a letter to admissions and ask them to forward it to your interviewers?

I was able to find one email online as it was a faculty member but my other interviewer was a student. Before I left my interview day I asked this and they said if I emailed the admissions email with the name of the interviewer they would forward it.

I did that and they replied to me confirming they had forwarded it.

Wow that was quick. Mind sharing stats? And did you get an email?
Non trad. Low undergrad GPA, 4.0 GPA in SMP. 510 MCAT. Lots of clinical and research experience.
And yes, they sent me an email.

For those who are complete, how long did it take? I submitted my supplement app about a week ago and my portal still says applicant. Just want to have a rough timeframe so i don't drive myself crazy. Thanks

For those who are complete, how long did it take? I submitted my supplement app about a week ago and my portal still says applicant. Just want to have a rough timeframe so i don't drive myself crazy. Thanks
I got lucky and mine was super quick. Submitted on 8/28, complete 8/31, II 9/4

I got lucky and mine was super quick. Submitted on 8/28, complete 8/31, II 9/4

Are you in-state? Wondering if that has anything to do with the quick turn around or not. Either way though, that's an awesome timeframe, congrats btw! Nice to know adcoms are capable of giving quick attention

Are you in-state? Wondering if that has anything to do with the quick turn around or not. Either way though, that's an awesome timeframe, congrats btw! Nice to know adcoms are capable of giving quick attention

Nope, OOS. Reapplicant.

II!
Complete early August.

Hey guys, any idea on how to decipher this? I'm unsure what the AACOMAS Application entry means under the "File Status" tab. I was FILE-C on 8/10, and then went back to APPL a couple days later and back to FILE-C. I'm unsure what this newly added "AACOMAS Application" thing is. Do other people have this also? I submitted my primary on 6/2, so I'm unsure what's going on lol. Any idea what this is about? RVU's portal seems to be really funky.

Committee/Advisor Recommendation 08/10/2018
Physician Recommendation 08/10/2018
Supplemental Application 07/23/2018
AACOMAS Application 08/30/2018

Do you guys think it's worth calling the school to inquire about my app or is that just overkill? I would like an update, but don't want to be a nuisance. Any advice? Thanks!

For those who flew from/are flying from OOS...do we fly into Denver International? Also, the pdf the school sent says that the Radisson Hotel has a shuttle to/from the airport and RVU. Did anyone use that option for getting to/from the hotel/interview?

Trying to figure out transportation for my interview on the 28th of this month! Thanks y'all, and feel free to pm me if you are interviewing same day!

Hey guys, any idea on how to decipher this? I'm unsure what the AACOMAS Application entry means under the "File Status" tab. I was FILE-C on 8/10, and then went back to APPL a couple days later and back to FILE-C. I'm unsure what this newly added "AACOMAS Application" thing is. Do other people have this also? I submitted my primary on 6/2, so I'm unsure what's going on lol. Any idea what this is about? RVU's portal seems to be really funky.

Committee/Advisor Recommendation 08/10/2018
Physician Recommendation 08/10/2018
Supplemental Application 07/23/2018
AACOMAS Application 08/30/2018

Do you guys think it's worth calling the school to inquire about my app or is that just overkill? I would like an update, but don't want to be a nuisance. Any advice? Thanks!

I see the same thing you do! Only difference is at the very top, I have another item called "Interview Date" and the date of my interview.

For those who flew from/are flying from OOS...do we fly into Denver International? Also, the pdf the school sent says that the Radisson Hotel has a shuttle to/from the airport and RVU. Did anyone use that option for getting to/from the hotel/interview?

Trying to figure out transportation for my interview on the 28th of this month! Thanks y'all, and feel free to pm me if you are interviewing same day!

I used radisson to shuttle for both hotel and RVU, but definitely tell them about your RVU interview time to make sure they have a shuttle then