2018-2019 Rush University Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected

Members don't see this ad.

just rejected pre-II. This process is legit so unpredictable. I had thousands of hours of community service. Good luck to everyone left!

Lol this process is just SO weird. Ive been complete since mid june and havent heard anything, and my community service hours are middle of the road.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected pre-II. Had nowhere near as much community service as most successful Rush applicants so not a surprise.

So terrified, keep looking at my email apprehensively

So, it appears that RUSH does do pre-ii rejections? Thus, if we have heard nothing are we still in the game? Has been one of the top schools on my list for a while.

Also, to any current students, what does the clinical research look like at Rush?

Edit:

Also, I keep seeing the reference to “average community Service Volunteer hours.” What does the SDN community deem as average for Rush?

Last edited:
just rejected pre-II. This process is legit so unpredictable. I had thousands of hours of community service. Good luck to everyone left!
Also rejected pre-II
rejected pre-II. boooo.
Rejected pre-II. Had nowhere near as much community service as most successful Rush applicants so not a surprise.
I'm so sorry all of you! When were your complete dates?

Reactions: 1 user
Are the rejections still coming out?Can't tell whether I should relax or not

For those who have not had a decision from Rush yet, (and for posterity) I figure I'll just put this out there, for whatever it's worth ( and of course n=1 ) but I have very very few community service hours ( <50 )and I have an interview here.

My situation is quite nuanced but I share this just to show that there is more to it than just accruing hours!

Reactions: 2 users
Its not in order. I was complete sometime between late-august and mid-September and I was rejected today. I had thousands of volunteer hours and clinical hours, so I was a bit surprised. I really liked Rush, their emphasis on service, and the lovely city of Chicago.

Yeah I officially give up on trying to understand what they're looking for in this process. Kind of frustrating since this was my #1 going into the cycle. I wasn't rejected today so still a chance but I am legacy here, URM, stats and service hours well above their median, and very strong connections to Chicago. Oh, and complete in mid-July. Not sure what else I could've done to make myself competitive here.

I’ve been complete since 7/25 & nothing. The last thing I got from them was the email saying my file was complete and my status on the portal is the same: Application file complete

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any suggestions on things to do near campus after the interview? My return flight is late and I wanna explore the city a bit

Greektown and the Fulton Market area are both close to where Rush is and have good food. You could also head downtown (the loop) and sightsee if you're into that kind of thing - since the campus isn't too far from the loop either.

Greektown and the Fulton Market area are both close to where Rush is and have good food. You could also head downtown (the loop) and sightsee if you're into that kind of thing - since the campus isn't too far from the loop either.
The loooop: RPM Steakhouse > Ruth's Chris > Chicago Cut Steakhouse > life. At RPM you have to pay for the bread (tfff!?) ... and then I understood why.

Did anyone else receive a "save the date" email for second look day? I don't think I ever got an acceptance notification lol

That’s probably because you haven’t been accepted yet. They give that email to waitlisted and accepted applicants.
Did anyone else receive a "save the date" email for second look day? I don't think I ever got an acceptance notification lol

anyone get an interview recently?

I got that today too without getting my post-II decision yet!

Can I ask for what interview days? I want to see if I have a chance anymore? I went to grad school at Rush and would really like the chance to go back since I really admire the school.

When selected they had late January through February. it sounds like they interview fairly late into the cycle. I would say don’t count out hope yet.

Last edited:
Today i find out from Rush my post interview decision.... will be impatiently checking my email throughout the day

Last edited:
Pre-II R just now. Completed 9/21

• Sad
does anyone know when interview invites end???
I read somewhere that interviews end in February, but not sure if they will be sticking with that this year with the new rules... and given that there was a pretty recent wave of R's, it seems like they are still actively reviewing applications and could still be sending IIs soon?

I read somewhere that interviews end in February, but not sure if they will be sticking with that this year with the new rules... and given that there was a pretty recent wave of R's, it seems like they are still actively reviewing applications and could still be sending IIs soon?
Was just wondering about this too. Was that their first wave of Rs?

Interview early January,
Under active consideration email today.

How does this differ from the waitlist?

Hey! I was also confused about this during the interview. From my understanding, the committee meets every 2 weeks to "fine tune" their incoming class and they do this by pulling from the "active consideration" pool. Whereas the waitlist people aren't considered until later down the road (perhaps March?). So I'm assuming it is better to be under active consideration than on the waitlist. Hope this helps!

How does this differ from the waitlist?

Hey! I was also confused about this during the interview. From my understanding, the committee meets every 2 weeks to "fine tune" their incoming class and they do this by pulling from the "active consideration" pool. Whereas the waitlist people aren't considered until later down the road (perhaps March?). So I'm assuming it is better to be under active consideration than on the waitlist. Hope this helps!

To supplement what @insane_magician said above, this is the email they sent me:

"Dear Catnip12,

The Admissions Executive Committee recognizes your accomplishments and values your path towards a career as a physician and as such, would like to keep your application under active consideration to further evaluate your individual capabilities of adding to a rich and diverse educational experience for all members of the class.

This decision is not a waitlist decision, rather an opportunity for the Admissions Executive Committee to further explore, in depth, this cohort of applicants to determine who will embrace the mission of Rush and actively engage in the life and spirit of our campus and the communities we serve, enhance and contribute to the diversity of our college and university, and who will contribute unreservedly to promoting health, service the public and improving care.

Recognizing this is a stressful time, we will continue to communicate with you as we receive further updates from the Admissions Executive Committee. In the meantime, we welcome any updates to your application since your interview.

We may be reached at [email protected] should you wish to forward updates or should you need to contact us at any time.

Sincerely, "

Ahhh, gotcha! Thank you!

To supplement what @insane_magician said above, this is the email they sent me:

"Dear Catnip12,

The Admissions Executive Committee recognizes your accomplishments and values your path towards a career as a physician and as such, would like to keep your application under active consideration to further evaluate your individual capabilities of adding to a rich and diverse educational experience for all members of the class.

This decision is not a waitlist decision, rather an opportunity for the Admissions Executive Committee to further explore, in depth, this cohort of applicants to determine who will embrace the mission of Rush and actively engage in the life and spirit of our campus and the communities we serve, enhance and contribute to the diversity of our college and university, and who will contribute unreservedly to promoting health, service the public and improving care.

Recognizing this is a stressful time, we will continue to communicate with you as we receive further updates from the Admissions Executive Committee. In the meantime, we welcome any updates to your application since your interview.

We may be reached at [email protected] should you wish to forward updates or should you need to contact us at any time.

Sincerely, "
Super helpful! Thank you!

R they still interviewing?

For those who have not had a decision from Rush yet, (and for posterity) I figure I'll just put this out there, for whatever it's worth ( and of course n=1 ) but I have very very few community service hours ( <50 )and I have an interview here.

My situation is quite nuanced but I share this just to show that there is more to it than just accruing hours!

I interviewed in October and had nowhere near the average amount of service hours that others had during that day. I was shocked that I got accepted, so don't worry about the numbers. Good luck everyone!

I'm ecstatic!!!!!

LizzyM 75, OOS, one of my top choices!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Hi all! Since Rush has such a high post-II rate, are late interview dates at a big disadvantage? are we just interviewing for a waitlist?

Dead silence thus far. Does anything think it's worthwhile to email them and ask them the status of my application?