2018-2019 Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone on the priority alternate list get any news today? I assumed we’d be hearing back at some point this week.

Also priority alternate list and waiting. Keep checking my phone religiously lol

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone get rejected? It kind of seems like you're either on the priority alternate list or alternate list as a soft rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone get rejected? It kind of seems like you're either on the priority alternate list or alternate list as a soft rejection.
People do get rejected I know someone who did! Priority alternate is not a soft rejection it’s we want you but there Was something with ur app (time or other things) ... any priority alternates hear back yet ?

Reactions: 1 user
Probably ask how many applicants are left to take from priority. Given that I have to consider options from other schools, as well as other financial aid packages, it does seem reasonable to know if I actually have a chance with Rutgers.

What would you say? I know they sent that email asking for additional updates the other week

Dear NJMS ADCOM,

Thank you for your rejection letter but after careful consideration, I regret to inform you that I am unable to accept your refusal to offer me admission into the 2019 freshman class at Rutgers NJMS.

This year I have been extremely fortunate to receive rejections from the best and brightest medical schools across the country but due to my unique rejection criteria, I was unable to bring myself to accept your rejection.

Despite Rutgers NJMS's outstanding success in rejecting previous applicants, you simply did not meet my qualifications. Therefore, I will be attending Rutgers NJMS 2019 freshman class.

Thank you, and I cannot wait to see you this July.

(I don't know why but I feel like it's important to note that I didn't get rejected, I just like quipping)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Probably ask how many applicants are left to take from priority. Given that I have to consider options from other schools, as well as other financial aid packages, it does seem reasonable to know if I actually have a chance with Rutgers.
Did you end up calling?

Crickets again. Anyone get the call this week?

Emailed Dr. Heinrich, got hit with the "I am out of the office" auto-reply. Might explain why no calls have gone out yet

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
How does the situation compare with last year? When did the last round of confirmation for priority waitlist end?

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe high priority WL started to hear back late May (like next week-ish) last year. This is n=1, but I know someone 2 cycles ago on the HPWL who did not hear back until mid-June. In terms of those on the regular alternate list, like myself, I have 0 idea when/if we will hear back anytime soon.

Yeah that's what the past forums for NJMS have shown, but with all the new CTE and PTE rules, I'm not sure how or when this is going to pan out for us

Hoping for some good news in the next couple weeks before I admit defeat and begrudgingly begin the re-application process :/

How are high priority waitlists looking this year? Maybe a little more movement later with the new changes to traffic?

I don’t think everyone on the WL posts to SDN, but compared to last year’s it’s looking pretty dead :/

Called over to admissions a few days ago, they said they haven't started pulling from the Priority WL yet because they haven't dropped below their max class size #. Didn't say when they would start pulling. Also said the WL is not ranked!

Called over to admissions a few days ago, they said they haven't started pulling from the Priority WL yet because they haven't dropped below their max class size #. Didn't say when they would start pulling. Also said the WL is not ranked!
Basically I should start working on my reapp is what I’m taking from that... if they haven’t fallen below the Max size by now idk what will change that... unless anyone has some answers ?...

Basically I should start working on my reapp is what I’m taking from that... if they haven’t fallen below the Max size by now idk what will change that... unless anyone has some answers ?...

Likely, the majority of accepted students are PTE and not CTE, meaning that they may still be on waitlists at schools which they would prefer over NJMS. If they get off those waitlists and they change their PTE school, it will open up some more spots.

I feel like we would need to see a lot of waitlist movement from other schools at this point for a significant amount of PTE->CTE here. Seeming less likely...

I withdrew off the alternate priority list a few days ago. I'm not sure if it provides much insight, but I was WLed last year here as well after my interview March, and waited until late August before being told it wasn't going to happen. At the 2019 interview, multiple M1s said they believe they had a better chance because they applied early decision, and looking back, if Rutgers was my #1, that's what I would have done to secure the early interview and early spot. Don't give up hope, and best of luck, everyone!

I withdrew off the alternate priority list a few days ago. I'm not sure if it provides much insight, but I was WLed last year here as well after my interview March, and waited until late August before being told it wasn't going to happen. At the 2019 interview, multiple M1s said they believe they had a better chance because they applied early decision, and looking back, if Rutgers was my #1, that's what I would have done to secure the early interview and early spot. Don't give up hope, and best of luck, everyone!
if you don't mind my asking, were you on the P-AL last year too?

Has anyone been able to contact the admissions committee via e-mail? I sent in an Updated Letter to the e-mail specified in the P-AL e-mail they sent plus sent an e-mail to the Dean of Admissions but have not received any feedback?

Has anyone been able to contact the admissions committee via e-mail? I sent in an Updated Letter to the e-mail specified in the P-AL e-mail they sent plus sent an e-mail to the Dean of Admissions but have not received any feedback?

I sent an email directly to Heinrich and got a response within a couple of hours.

hi all! withdrew my A and some scholarship money a few weeks ago and i know others who also withdrew recently. when i spoke to the dean of admissions from another NJ school recently, they said that its trickier to decide who to pull off the waitlist b/c they don’t have a sense for WHERE other students have clicked “plan to enroll” for (i.e. if you are a NJ/NY resident who would prefer to stay in the area but are PTE for a school in the midwest),which students from their waitlist would be likely to enroll, and which students have just forgotten that they are on priority waitlist here and have no interest in matriculating.

Strongly recommend showing your hand at this point and sending letters of continued interest!!

Reactions: 4 users
Even people on the HPWL talking about not receiving any updates but is there any hope for me at all on the normal Waitlist..? Is there any point to continuing to send updates for me? I sent one last in April and not sure if it would be too much to send another letter of interest at this time

Anyone heard anything back yet? Still waiting on HPAL

Hey everyone, so I recently spoke to Heinrich and based on his language I'm not sure if there are any open spots at NJMS right now. He mentioned that HPAL applicants would be contacted "when and if" they had positions, so I don't know if they have any of those positions seeing as no one has been contacted yet. Fingers crossed for us all though, theres still a lot of time until the CTE deadline so we may see some WL movement in the coming weeks as schools start to finalize positions

I got THE call a few hours ago!!! Accepted off the priority alternate list! This is my first acceptance this cycle so I literally cried

Reactions: 13 users
I got THE call a few hours ago!!! Accepted off the priority alternate list! This is my first acceptance this cycle so I literally cried
Congratulations!!! Did you receive an email at any point during this cycle after May 1st asking you if you were still interested? I know they sent those out last year as well so I wanted to know if you received it as well?

Congratulations!!! Did you receive an email at any point during this cycle after May 1st asking you if you were still interested? I know they sent those out last year as well so I wanted to know if you received it as well?
Nope, didn’t get any emails beyond the “May 1st we will begin reviewing priority list, send in your updates if you have any” email

Nope, didn’t get any emails beyond the “May 1st we will begin reviewing priority list, send in your updates if you have any” email

Congrats!

Could you share when you were placed on to the priority waitlist please?

Just got an email from admissions saying that they have had some movement but it has been a little slower this year. They are still expecting a few more changes between now and Aug 6 when they finalize the class. Hang tight everyone haha still a little hope.

Just got an email from admissions saying that they have had some movement but it has been a little slower this year. They are still expecting a few more changes between now and Aug 6 when they finalize the class. Hang tight everyone haha still a little hope.
Did you contact them first and this is them responding to you or was it out of the blue?

Got the call a few hours ago!! Interviewed 10/23, APL’d 1/18, sent in multiple update letters and a letter of interest to everyone I could find, and got an email yesterday morning asking if I was still interested. I’m sooooooo happy, NJMS is my dream school!!

Reactions: 6 users