2018-2019 Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does NJMS get back to applicants in the order in which they interviewed? I saw there were some people who interviewed after me that have already heard back
it probably depends on whether your interviewer was able to make the committee meeting. if they weren't, their decision has to wait till the next meeting when your interviewer is there!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone here know how financial aid works for med school? Do we get grants, and what is the most amount of aid that we can get?

Does anyone here know how financial aid works for med school? Do we get grants, and what is the most amount of aid that we can get?
Not sure.. wondering the same thing myself. Did you already fill out the fafsa

Nearing 5 weeks since interview. How long do they usually take??

Based on financial aid presentations I’ve seen at other schools, most schools only give need based financial aid and I believe the amount varies from school to school. You have to fill out fafsa and there’s also external scholarship programs you can apply to. I’m not sure how NJMS specifically does things though

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure.. wondering the same thing myself. Did you already fill out the fafsa
Yes I filled it out but haven't heard back. I've heard that public med schools don't give much aid/scholarships so probs gonna have to take out a lot of loans

Do we know if anybody who interviewed after 10/4 has heard? I saw a bunch of posts from that day around last week, but nothing since

Members don't see this ad :)
should I? I think the thank you letter will not make any dent - they do not have time to read them.
Any one from 10/25 interview batch here back?
It might be too late for you to send a letter at this point, but I sent a letter to both the person who interviewed me and to the dean of admissions (whom I spoke with one-on-one during the interview day). I sent a thank you note to both via email and both responded to me - they definitely do have time to not only read, but respond to thank you letters as well.

Lol interviewed early Oct and still nothing.
I called admissions and they said their timeline for decisions post-interview is 4-6 weeks. She noted that we are coming up on the holiday however so we should expect a little longer if you are within that 4-6 week threshold rn

Does that mean that if people from the same day haven’t heard yet, it’s probably a waitlist or reject?

Nah usually it also depends on if your interviewer met with committee. Don't read too much into it.

Accepted! Just got the call from the dean! It was a "no caller ID" number so be prepared!

When is it acceptable to reach out to Dr. Heinrich or admissions regarding a post-II update? It was been about 8 weeks since my interview

When is it acceptable to reach out to Dr. Heinrich or admissions regarding a post-II update? It was been about 8 weeks since my interview
also curious, i've hit the 6 week mark. someone did mention that they called and were told that decisions would be slightly slow because of thanksgiving- not sure if that still applies

if yo u did not hear back within 5 weeks then slam an email to dean (they may take 6 to 8 weeks for acceptance and rejection), testing our ability to take pressure. LOL
I'm assuming you did this?? What did he say

Interviewed here last year and it took >15 weeks to hear back. You guys got a long way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually found one "NJMS Class of 2023" Waiting for admin to accept me in. 3 members currently in it.

Oh it didn’t come up in my initial search thanks for letting me know! Usually someone is already propagating the link to it by now :)

just an update, i called the admissions office to see where they were on mid-Oct interviewees and the lady said that the committee hasn't met for us yet and that it will be awhile

just an update, i called the admissions office to see where they were on mid-Oct interviewees and the lady said that the committee hasn't met for us yet and that it will be awhile

Huh... it seems that people from mid-October have heard back though. This is such a confusing process

ii today, anyone know how long the interview date is here? considering the 11 AM or 2 PM options for next Tuesday

ii today, anyone know how long the interview date is here? considering the 11 AM or 2 PM options for next Tuesday

The only mandatory agenda item is a 1-hr interview at the time you schedule. You will also have the opportunity to attend an optional tour (12 PM) and optional student interview (any time between 10 AM-12 PM and 2-3 PM, I think). You should be done by 2 or 3 latest.

Hey everybody!

I hope everyone in the purgatory of med school interview season is doing alright out there. Since it has been almost a week from the last post on here, I've decided to spice this thread up with some more stuff to read!

Just to ease any confusion about this process I put together a relatively short a list of questions for everyone so we can get a consensus about what to expect in the coming days. I have also compiled all the information I am aware of for your viewing pleasure.
----------------------------------------------------------------
vv--Questions Below--vv

For those who have been accepted:

- When did you get accepted
- When did you interview
- What time of the day did you get your call
- Are you an: in-state/out-of-state applicant

For those who have been rejected:
- how long has it been from your interview till your rejection
- What time of the day did you get your email
- Are you an: in-state/out-of-state applicant
- When did you interview

If you interviewed in October:
-Did you hear back from NJMS yet?
-When did you interview (Date)

If you interviewed in November:
-Did you hear back from NJMS yet?
-When did you interview (Date)
My speculation

So far I've gathered how long it has taken for the people who posted on here to hear back after their interviews

Days:39/36/36/34/31/32/36 ----> Approx. 5 Weeks on average to hear back for pre-October interviews
This would mean people who interviewed in October "should" have heard back by now(but this is not currently the case as there are at least a couple people on here who interviewed in October who have heard nothing yet... probably due to Thanksgiving delaying review process)

Someone who interviewed after Thanksgiving told me, NJMS said it could take from 6-8 weeks to hear back:

Conclusion: Anyone who interviewed from mid to late October and later on will probably have to wait for 5-8 weeks before hearing back from NJMS.

So... keep your phone on and learn to live with that tingling sensation in your stomach every time your phone rings!

interviewed 10/15 and haven't heard anything! i called admissions for an update on the timeline and was told that the committee hasn't met in awhile so i'm not sure when we can expect the next wave of decisions (hopefully before xmas)

Just got the call from Dr.Heinrich today!

Stats: Gpa:3.7, sGPA:3.55
4.0 junior and senior year
506 mcat
URM

Reactions: 3 users