2018-2019 Saint Louis University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long before your interview day did you find out the time of your interview?

I found out who my interview was with and what time about a week after I scheduled the interview, a month and a half beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How optional is research and community service at this school? Is it unranked P/F curriculum? How easy is it to find free events like music festivals in St. Louis?

Edit: Also, I know that lectures are not mandatory. are there any mandatory class sessions that we’re not told about at the interviews?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What does a regular day as an M1 look like - when does class start and end?

Also do we get an acceptance letter in the mail?

II today! I sent an ITA request a few weeks before I received this.

How optional is research and community service at this school? Is it unranked P/F curriculum? How easy is it to find free events like music festivals in St. Louis?

Edit: Also, I know that lectures are not mandatory. are there any mandatory class sessions that we’re not told about at the interviews?

In orientation week there are service activities, you could probably skip them if you hate meeting people but t's more social than anything. Neither research nor service is required, but both are available. Lots of free clinics/outreach is available.

What does a regular day as an M1 look like - when does class start and end?

Also do we get an acceptance letter in the mail?

Not an M1 anymore but usually class 9A-12P? Can watch recorded lectures online if you want. Anatomy is different as it will have dissection every other day for about 3-4 hours. Classes often have (mandatory) labs 1-2 times a week in the afternoon where you are taught in a small group setting. Overall M1-2 is pretty chill, lets you direct your learning however works for you. Wellness here is actually giving you time off to do other stuff and have a life rather than obsessive mandatory lectures.

Reactions: 4 users
Just got accepted!!! OOS, so excited! Interviewed 10/15

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Accepted! Interviewed late sept

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted. OOS, interviewed 9/24.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted yesterday! OOS, Interviewed 10/8.

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone have any tips for the interview? I'm getting mixed signals from the SDN interview feedback site about how some people were just asked to re-explain their activities while others were asked different questions... And how long did the interview itself last?

Can anyone speak on interview day in general? I'm a little confused by how the interview is scheduled separately from the rest of the day, which seems to only last from 10:40-1.

Can anyone speak on interview day in general? I'm a little confused by how the interview is scheduled separately from the rest of the day, which seems to only last from 10:40-1.
my interview was scheduled in the morning before presentations at 10:40 so after my interview I just chilled with the other applicants in the conference room. Everyone with a morning interview finished before the 10:40 call-time. From 10:40-1, there's presentations, tours, and lunch with medical students. All applicants are present for this block of time. After that, you can leave if you had your interview in the morning. People with afternoon interviews had to stay obviously. hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
In orientation week there are service activities, you could probably skip them if you hate meeting people but t's more social than anything. Neither research nor service is required, but both are available. Lots of free clinics/outreach is available.

Not an M1 anymore but usually class 9A-12P? Can watch recorded lectures online if you want. Anatomy is different as it will have dissection every other day for about 3-4 hours. Classes often have (mandatory) labs 1-2 times a week in the afternoon where you are taught in a small group setting. Overall M1-2 is pretty chill, lets you direct your learning however works for you. Wellness here is actually giving you time off to do other stuff and have a life rather than obsessive mandatory lectures.

Can you talk about specific research activities/labs? I was looking for labs to talk about during my interview but I couldn't find anything specific online :(

Can you talk about specific research activities/labs? I was looking for labs to talk about during my interview but I couldn't find anything specific online :(

Medical Research

I'm not the best one to ask, I have done a lot of other extracurriculars but not a ton of research. If you have a particular focus (for example cardiology) look up the important people in that department on pubmed and see if their research interests you.
I think few of my classmates did bench research. Those that did are going into research-heavy fields (rad-onc), had a lab from undergrad in which they continued to pursue research, or pursued MD/PhD. Most people's research is clinical, typically retrospective review stuff which they found by joining an interest group, meeting with faculty in that field and showing interest, when these people needed someone to abstract data from hundreds of charts then they found the student that was interested, had some free time and was easily available.

Edit: here's another site SLU Newsroom some recent highlights: HepB research/vaccine development, head and neck cancer related to suicide risk, liver transplant rejection, youth HIV testing, geriatrics.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when SLU sends out more information about logging into online portals like email or canvas? When I'm trying to look at it through the mySLU portal, it won't let me log in to anything more

Got an II! By the time I had finished deciding which date I wanted though, the only available date was 5 days from now, so I chose that one. I just read that it took someone else a week after they scheduled to find out when their interview was, but I don't have a week? Is this usual to have an interview scheduled for the next 5 days? I hope it wasn't a fluke!

Anyone who interviewed here knows what time the interview day starts and ends? Trying to get plane tickets

II today as well, complete mid July.

For those who have uploaded an update, does it indicate that your update has been uploaded under “Document Upload” or anywhere else in the app portal? Im not sure if my document has been uploaded because I couldnt see it anywhere. Thanks

Anyone who interviewed here knows what time the interview day starts and ends? Trying to get plane tickets
it will depend on if you have morning or afternoon interviews. I'm not sure how early morning interviews are but I know for afternoon interviews they usually will not go past 3:30 so you should be good booking tickets that leave STL after 6!

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed here and would like to send my interviewer a follow-up email. Admissions staff said to upload a thank-you to the portal when I asked for the interviewer's email address, but that seems kind of strange to me. Has anyone sent a thank-you or other email to their interviewer, and how did you get their address/did you just upload to portal?

Thanks!

I interviewed here and would like to send my interviewer a follow-up email. Admissions staff said to upload a thank-you to the portal when I asked for the interviewer's email address, but that seems kind of strange to me. Has anyone sent a thank-you or other email to their interviewer, and how did you get their address/did you just upload to portal?

Thanks!

I just emailed my interviewer directly. He gave me his business card so I thought it was OK. I can’t recall admissions given specific instructions regarding thank you notes.

II yesterday as well! OOS.

Thanks!

I just mailed a thank you note to the address of the admissions office with my interviewer's name on it!

Has anybody interviewing on 11/13 heard about details for dinner tonight on 11/11?

Accepted! Interviewed mid-late October. The email came on Friday and went to my junk box.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 3 users
A buddy of mine just got an II after being complete in July! So July people have hope please :D

For those who were accepted, are we supposed to both submit the 100$ deposit on MySLU, AND click "accept" under admission offer tab on our portal?

I just want to make sure I'm doing it right and not either: 1) missing something and not holding my place at SLU, or 2) effectively accepting the offer officially and removing myself from consideration from other schools via AMCAS.

For those who were accepted, are we supposed to both submit the 100$ deposit on MySLU, AND click "accept" under admission offer tab on our portal?

I just want to make sure I'm doing it right and not either: 1) missing something and not holding my place at SLU, or 2) effectively accepting the offer officially and removing myself from consideration from other schools via AMCAS.

I don't think number 2 is possible until Spring, but yeah go to the portal page and click the accept offer and then pay the deposit on mySLU. Then you should get an email with a notification. I just followed these instructions (although link is for undegrad but instructions worked for me) Confirm Your Enrollment

I don't think number 2 is possible until Spring, but yeah go to the portal page and click the accept offer and then pay the deposit on mySLU. Then you should get an email with a notification. I just followed these instructions (although link is for undegrad but instructions worked for me) Confirm Your Enrollment
Thank you!

I just got a supplemental app today. Is it worth it to compete it this late in the cycle?

I just got a supplemental app today. Is it worth it to compete it this late in the cycle?
My thought is if they sent it they're interested, and if they're interested there still must be space in their class. Up to you! I would weigh out how much you like them vs. financial cost of applying now.

When did everyone hear back about student hosts after filling out the google form?

When did everyone hear back about student hosts after filling out the google form?

After about 3 weeks of not hearing anything, I sent an email to the student host program... Because it was 1 week out from my interview day and they didn't have any contact with me. Then, a few days later I got an email from the med student I would be staying with. I highly recommend emailing 1 - 2 weeks before your interview day if you haven't heard anything

Last edited:
For anyone who was scheduled for the 1pm interview, when did your interview day end? I'm trying to figure out when to book a flight back the same night... Thank you :)

For anyone who was scheduled for the 1pm interview, when did your interview day end? I'm trying to figure out when to book a flight back the same night... Thank you :)

If you have the interview at 1pm its your last thing, so you can leave around 2 depending on how long it takes.

Does anyone know how the lcme probation will affect students? I know it’s lifted now but could it affect how you’re perceived when it’s time to apply for residency?

Also, how much support is there for students who may be interested in doing something competitive?

Does anyone know how the lcme probation will affect students? I know it’s lifted now but could it affect how you’re perceived when it’s time to apply for residency?

Also, how much support is there for students who may be interested in doing something competitive?
A number of the students during my interview day spoke very highly of the school actually taking action in response to the issues that were raised. Also, take a look at SLU's match list--They have a pretty impressive number of people going into crazy competitive specialties like anesthesiology or ophtho.