2018-2019 Southern Illinois University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I would like to know as well. This wait is a killer lol. Checking my email 40 times a day looking for that acceptance!

April 30th is right around the corner, so hopefully there's movement soon!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted off AWPA in late March! Interviewed in August. Declined my acceptance so hopefully it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted off AWPA in late March! Interviewed in August. Declined my acceptance so hopefully it goes to one of you!
Congrats! So did you receive the acceptance email from beth? and what time during the day did you receive the email?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Good to hear there is some action happening, although slowly it appears.

Congrats! So did you receive the acceptance email from beth? and what time during the day did you receive the email?
Thank you! I got a call followed by an email around 2 in the afternoon

Reactions: 1 users
besides completing FAFSA should we go on studentloans.govs as well to request a loan if we're on the waitlist for SIU(or do you do that once you're accepted)?

besides completing FAFSA should we go on studentloans.govs as well to request a loan if we're on the waitlist for SIU(or do you do that once you're accepted)?
I don't think you have to do anything besides complete the FAFSA at this point. For admitted students, the financial aid office has started preparing award packages that won't need to be accepted or rejected until July. You shouldn't have to request anything on your own, unless you have found a private loan that has an interest rate lower than federal unsubsidized or Grad PLUS loans. (First ~$40,000 can be borrowed with federal unsubsidized loan, which has interest rate of 1.066%. The rest can be covered with Grad PLUS loan, which has interest rate of 4.262%). I'm not a finance person, but hope that is a little helpful!

Good luck to everyone hoping for news after tomorrow! :)

Ok, so does anyone know when exactly we will start hearing if we’re AWPA? The day is tomorrow...so will it be quick or in weeks again?So ready to know where I will be!! Good luck to everyone!

Ok, so does anyone know when exactly we will start hearing if we’re AWPA? The day is tomorrow...so will it be quick or in weeks again?So ready to know where I will be!! Good luck to everyone!

Another school told me that it'll probably be a couple weeks after, but I'm not sure if this applies to this school. Probably doesn't help much lol

Another school told me that it'll probably be a couple weeks after, but I'm not sure if this applies to this school. Probably doesn't help much lol
Base on previous threads, it seemed like a lot of people were hearing back the Friday following the multiple decision deadline.

So I’m hoping we should start hearing things by Friday!

We can hope, wouldn’t acceptance be a great gift for our moms for Mother’s Day?

• Haha
We can hope, wouldn’t acceptance be a great gift for our moms for Mother’s Day?
TELL ME ABOUT IT! I have faith though. We will get accepted soon!!

I think movement might just be a little slower because of the new traffic rules, but hopefully the overall stats remain the same.

It seems there has only been one person on SDN so far accepted after the batches.. Is this true? Does that just mean movement isn’t happening just yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if/when there will be a Facebook group created? In previous years it appears to have been made earlier this month, but I haven’t been able to find one yet.

Did you get an email today??? We need details!
I’ve been accepted since late November but SIU updated their policy that by July 1st everyone who has been accepted and plans on being in the class has to change their AMCAS status to “commit to enroll” (aka dropped all other waitlists, not holding any other acceptances). That status just became available this morning

Did anyone talk to admissions recently to understand this years stats ?

Just got accepted earlier today, I am beyond shocked! :)

Reactions: 9 users
Wonder how long this process takes?
I'm sure there will be plenty more acceptances to come throughout this month. I hope we all get to be classmates in the fall! Best of luck to everyone! :)

Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone know if there is an orientation in Carbondale before classes start where I can meet people/look at housing? What apartments do students usually live in their first year? Also does anyone know how to join a facebook group if there has been one created?

Does anyone know if there is an orientation in Carbondale before classes start where I can meet people/look at housing? What apartments do students usually live in their first year? Also does anyone know how to join a facebook group if there has been one created?
Optional pre orientation is June 14th and actual orientation August 14th right before school starts! Still waiting on that fb group too

Well if 70-90% come off that list then more than one of us should’ve heard. Patience is a virtue I’m all out of. Lol

My bad guys for just now popping in (currently in the midst of exam week). For those still waiting to hear a response, no worries! There usually is still some movement up until July but otherwise think of a back-up plan just in case. For those who were accepted/committing to SIU CONGRATS! THIS MED SCHOOL IS AMAZING and it blows my mind every time I think how much I am getting out of this school and how prepared I will be for residency. Now to answer the question...

In terms of finding housing there is no rush at all. No place in carbondale usually fills up except this one complex called Evolve. The summer orientation in June is a good time to search for housing (but still no rush if you do not attend this orientation), mingle with your class, and see who will be a good match for roommates. The most popular option for housing is the Reserve at Saluki Pointe (The Reserve at Saluki Point) - Everyone gets their own bathroom, if you get a 4 bedroom then rent is around $470-480 I think?, free parking, a 5 min drive away from campus max, comes FURNISHED, has a pool, and its own gym! The second most popular option is Sun Valley (Carbondale's First Choice in Luxury Living) - Has the option of a one bedroom (the Reserve is only 2, 3, and 4 bdr), a lot of space, around a 5 min drive from campus as well, more quiet area than the Reserve since more grad students/actual families live at Sun Valley...however it is UNFURNISHED (some people did not mind that but others did not want to do the hassle of buying/moving furniture just for a 9 month stay). Besides those two options there are a lot more! Just to list some off Evolve (convenient but pretty expensive - Southern Illinois University Student Housing at Evolve), The Pointe (SIU Housing | The Pointe at SIU Apartments | Welcome), University Village (Off Campus Student Housing by SIU in Carbondale | University Village), Wedgewood Hills (Home).

Phew okay I think this is a good start for y'all! Anymore questions just let me know and I will try my best to get back to it!

Reactions: 5 users
I've been following this thread since the beginning of the cycle, but I made an account to post that I was accepted this week via email. I'm so excited!
Interviewed in November, LizzyM 71 :)

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know how many people have been added to the Facebook page?

My request to join the facebook group still hasn’t been approved... Have you all been accepted?

There’s now 49 Facebook group members

Has anyone contacted admissions for an update of any kind?
I called admissions last week to see about getting any feedback for improvement. When I talked to Beth she reminded me that they are still sending out acceptances, and she told me to call back in mid June if I haven't heard anything by then. I didn't think to ask how this year's movement is comparing to prior years though.