2018-2019 Stanford University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity (broadly defined) of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and life or work experiences. Please discuss how factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine (2000 characters)
2) Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 characters)
3) How will Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals? (1000 characters)
4) Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL)(1000 characters)

Also a few small questions about whether or not your education has been interrupted or if there are current academic disputes.

Interview Feedback: Stanford University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Secondary just now. @gyngyn
1) The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity (broadly defined) of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and life or work experiences. Please discuss how factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine (2000 characters)
2) Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path? (1000 characters)
3) How will Stanford curriculum, and specifically the requirement for a scholarly concentration, help your personal career goals? (1000 characters)
4) Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL)(1000 characters)

Also a few small questions about whether or not your education has been interrupted or if there are current academic disputes.

Reactions: 4 users
+1 secondario just now

Reactions: 1 user
is the health survey at the end anonymous?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing the update, everyone. What are the practice scenario options in #2?

Secondary just now. @gyngyn

Interesting that they decided to drop the publications question this year, since this would actually be the first change they've made to their secondary questions in over a decade.

Best of luck to everyone applying... I can try to help answer questions if anyone has any (incoming MS1).

Interesting that they decided to drop the publications question this year, since this would actually be the first change they've made to their secondary questions in over a decade.

Best of luck to everyone applying... I can try to help answer questions if anyone has any (incoming MS1).

Publications one is still there

Thanks for sharing the update, everyone. What are the practice scenario options in #2?
Here you go

What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career?
Choose the single answer that best describes your career goals and clinical practice setting:

Academic Medicine (Clinical)
Academic Medicine (Physician Scientist)
Non-Academic Clinical Practice
Health Policy
Health Administration
Primary Care
Public Health/Community Health
Global Health

Why do you feel you are particularly suited for this practice scenario? What knowledge, skills and attitudes have you developed that have prepared you for this career path?

Please limit your answer to 1,000 characters including spaces.

is the health survey at the end anonymous?

If you read the below carefully, I do not think that it is anonymous.

Stanford : Give YOUR opinion for each item using the responses below. Prior to any potential use of this information for any research purpose, your name and unique identifiers will be removed from the data set to ensure anonymity.

If you read the below carefully, I do not think that it is anonymous.

Stanford : Give YOUR opinion for each item using the responses below. Prior to any potential use of this information for any research purpose, your name and unique identifiers will be removed from the data set to ensure anonymity.

I took that to mean that it was for research purposes and our identity wouldn't be known. I don't think it will be used for admissions.

Hi, for the future career goals/curriculum part of this secondary is it ok to focus only on the scholarly concentration? 1000 characters is very little to talk about the whole curriculum and they do mention specifically the SC part. Currently my essay barely fits with just talking about a specific scholarly concentration I am super interested in.

Hi guys! For people applying to Knight-Hennessy, do you know if our MD application gets penalized if we submit it later than we would have, since the KH application submission # is required before submitting our Stanford secondary? i.e. is it less likely to receive an interview if we submit the secondary later, or are MD + KH applications considered in a separate rolling pool? Would also love any insight from past applicants who received KH interviews as well. Thanks!

Hi guys! For people applying to Knight-Hennessy, do you know if our MD application gets penalized if we submit it later than we would have, since the KH application submission # is required before submitting our Stanford secondary? i.e. is it less likely to receive an interview if we submit the secondary later, or are MD + KH applications considered in a separate rolling pool? Would also love any insight from past applicants who received KH interviews as well. Thanks!
I didn’t apply Knight-Hennessy, but I remember last year there was some talk about Knight-Hennessy applications being fast-tracked once they were submitted to rectify this exact problem. I would email them and ask just to be sure, though!

Anyone else still waiting for this one?

Reactions: 18 users
Would it be strange if I talked about the Community Health scholarly concentration track but selected "Non-academic clinical practice" (instead of public/community health) for my practice scenario? I want to be involved with decreasing the access barriers to specialty medical services. I think that studying Community Health would help me discover real barriers within existing communities and give me the opportunity to work on solutions to these barriers. Not sure if this makes sense...

Would it be strange if I talked about the Community Health scholarly concentration track but selected "Non-academic clinical practice" (instead of public/community health) for my practice scenario? I want to be involved with decreasing the access barriers to specialty medical services. I think that studying Community Health would help me discover real barriers within existing communities and give me the opportunity to work on solutions to these barriers. Not sure if this makes sense...
I don't think that would be a problem. Medicine is multi-disciplinary. Clinical physicians are a vital part of community health just like any other field

Has any MSTP applicant received their secondary yet? Still waiting here.

Would someone be able to clarify just a little bit on the different clinical practice settings listed? I am especially confused on the differences between Academic Medicine, nonacademic clinical, and primary care.
Thanks!!

I'm still waiting on this secondary as well, but I'm regular MD. Anyone else?

Reactions: 3 users
I'm still waiting on this secondary as well, but I'm regular MD. Anyone else?
I'm still waiting for regular MD. They just seem to be taking their time sending secondaries.

Reactions: 2 users
Would someone be able to clarify just a little bit on the different clinical practice settings listed? I am especially confused on the differences between Academic Medicine, nonacademic clinical, and primary care.
Thanks!!
Academic medicine means that you are contributing to either the education of Healthcare professionals (ie. Teaching residents or med students) or the general body of scientific knowledge (ie. Research). Nonacademic clinical means just practicing clinical medicine, not teaching or carrying out research. Primary care refers to specialties which involve the "first line of care" when someone gets sick or for wellness checks (FM, IM, peds, and OB/gyn). These jobs can be academic or non-academic

For this question "4) Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL)(1000 characters)" do you guys think putting my adversity essay would work? I could mention what I learnt from the experience.

For this question "4) Please include anything else that will help us understand better how you may uniquely contribute to Stanford Medicine? (OPTIONAL)(1000 characters)" do you guys think putting my adversity essay would work? I could mention what I learnt from the experience.
I would leave it blank honestly unless your adversity essay is a compelling argument for what extra you bring to the table and that hasn't already been discussed. This is basically a second diversity prompt so if you have another aspect of diversity that is strong then put it but I wouldn't just throw in an adversity experience for the heck of it unless it's something that's really pertinent to who you are

still waiting, LM 83