2018-2019 Stanford University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MSTP rejects: did you ever hear about your MD application?

Members don't see this ad.

Just received an II! Secondary submitted 09/12. Longest wait I've had from any school for sure.
Stats in signature

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!! I'm curious to know which dates are available?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile
I couldn't see any dates, unfortunately. My schedule interview tab only had "Please be advised that your interview date is currently being scheduled. Details will be sent soon." on the page.

Reactions: 1 user
I couldn't see any dates, unfortunately. My schedule interview tab only had "Please be advised that your interview date is currently being scheduled. Details will be sent soon." on the page.
If you applied KHSP then maybe that's really good news!

Just received an II! Secondary submitted 09/12. Longest wait I've had from any school for sure.
Stats in signature
DUDE 11 II's out of 11 secondaries? To what I assume are mostly T20s? You are killing it, congrats!

Reactions: 3 users
DUDE 11 II's out of 11 secondaries? To what I assume are mostly T20s? You are killing it, congrats!
Thank you! I've been really fortunate so far in the cycle :)

Reactions: 1 users
+1 with the II, KH, and vague message just now

was complete late august and it seems like its getting closer to the end of their interview cycle, slowly losing that hope lmao

was complete late august and it seems like its getting closer to the end of their interview cycle, slowly losing that hope lmao

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stanford does their cycle a bit later than everyone else, right? II's were sent out pretty late last year, seems like there is still time to remain hopeful

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Stanford does their cycle a bit later than everyone else, right? II's were sent out pretty late last year, seems like there is still time to remain hopeful
yeah I guess we'll see, as long as I don't get an R i'll hold on to a little bit of it lol

II early this morning! Complete 8/17, dates available mid-January.

Reactions: 5 users

yeah I guess we'll see, as long as I don't get an R i'll hold on to a little bit of it lol

Looks like the recent IIers already had other IIs. Hope Stanford will care and love those without any II now.

+1 on this last night and I reached out to admissions this morning asking them about the message and they gave me a date

Was the date they gave you the same weekend that KH is hosting finalists?

Does Stanford give take-home exams? If so, do they make all exams take-home or some proportion of them? I have also read that students are expected to watch lectures on their own time, but come to class for group discussion sessions. Is this true, and if so how often are the group discussion sessions per week and are they all required? If a student/faculty can provide some insight into the dynamics of the group sessions themselves (what do they consist of, what are the expectations), that would be strongly appreciated as well.

Does anyone know what post-interview acceptance rate is? Also, does interviewing later in the cycle hurt your chances here? Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Any IIs for any KHSP applicants yet? I got a weird email in response to an ITA email a while back saying I'd be notified of my status, and otherwise, silence.

Any IIs for any KHSP applicants yet? I got a weird email in response to an ITA email a while back saying I'd be notified of my status, and otherwise, silence.

They are not receptive to ITA requests so it was probably just a nice way of saying wait till we get to you.

I'm a KHSP applicant and haven't heard back either way (interview or rejection)

I remember two peeps here mentioning they got interviews.

I remember two peeps here mentioning they got interviews.
I was curious, so I just dug through this thread and couldn't find anyone who'd applied KH who had said they'd gotten an ii. There's hope for us yet!

I was curious, so I just dug through this thread and couldn't find anyone who'd applied KH who had said they'd gotten an ii. There's hope for us yet!
On Dec 11, m_tsflame and abcdedcba said they had gotten MD II and applied to KH. I mightve misunderstood something.

On Dec 11, m_tsflame and abcdedcba said they had gotten MD II and applied to KH. I mightve misunderstood something.
Ah whoops, I didn't really understand their posts -- my bad! Hopefully those of us in silence are all still in the running, though.

I submitted around 9/20 and am figuring out when I would receive an II. Anyone who completed around the same time received II already?

Has anyone submitted an update here post-interview? Do you know what the process for that is?

Does anyone know what post-interview acceptance rate is? Also, does interviewing later in the cycle hurt your chances here? Thanks!
For the last couple years, to my understanding at least, post-interview acceptance rate has been between 20% and 25%. I can’t imagine that interviewing later in the cycle would hurt your chances significantly, since they don’t even start releasing decisions until early winter. It’s possible that interviewing after the new year could slightly diminish your chances, but I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Does Stanford give take-home exams? If so, do they make all exams take-home or some proportion of them? I have also read that students are expected to watch lectures on their own time, but come to class for group discussion sessions. Is this true, and if so how often are the group discussion sessions per week and are they all required? If a student/faculty can provide some insight into the dynamics of the group sessions themselves (what do they consist of, what are the expectations), that would be strongly appreciated as well.
M1 here. I have not had a take-home exam yet. Also, the vast majority of lectures are available in-person. However, many of us choose to not attend all in-person lectures, because they’re recorded and can be watched sped-up and at your leisure.

One true flipped classroom we had last quarter was Biochemsitry. We watched short videos on the week’s topic (usually around an hour of video content per week total), and then there were optional TA sessions to do practice-problems and ask questions that some of us attended. There were also group sessions that were technically not required but that essentially everyone attended because they were well-done and very helpful. In these sessions, you worked with a group of 5 or 6 people to figure out answers to clinically relevant biochem problems, in a kind of story-format. Then, the TAs would discuss the answers with the class at large. Many of us found Biochem to be one of the best-designed and most interesting classes last quarter—it was easy to tailor it to your own learning style and to spend as much or as little time on each section as needed.

On the other hand, our anatomy class, which was also well-taught and very interesting, was more traditional. There were lectures (which were also recorded if you wanted to watch them later) followed by dissection work in the anatomy lab. There were also many other optional tools, such as the Complete Anatomy app, recordings of prior years’ lectures that you could watch beforehand, and many TA review sessions held in the lab.

Hope that helped—please feel free to reach out if you have any other questions!

Have any of the recent interviewees heard any more specific details about the timeline for releasing decisions? Aka when the first batch of acceptances will be released (early, mid, late jan?), and what the interview cutoff date is for hearing back in January vs. February or march?
IIRC from interview day, they seemed to indicate that decisions would be released sometime in March.

IIRC from interview day, they seemed to indicate that decisions would be released sometime in March.

On my interview day they said decisions would be released “by March” but that there were still three decision dates. I interviewed in October