2018-2019 Stanford University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As far as I am aware, no calls have been made. FYI, we are behind this cycle

out of curiosity, any known reason why (like new traffic rules, e.g.) or just one of those yrs

Members don't see this ad.

out of curiosity, any known reason why (like new traffic rules, e.g.) or just one of those yrs

I am not aware of any. However, I’m not privy to all the details so no guarantees!

I am not aware of any. However, I’m not privy to all the details so no guarantees!

Are you privy to how far back we're pushed? Are they still aiming for the 3 releases with late jan/early feb, feb, and march?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is Stanford still sending out II?

Reactions: 2 users
Fellow Comrades in Neurosis,
I have heard from an inside source which will remain unnamed that this year's process of post-interview decisions is going to take longer than years past, for a variety of reasons which shall remain undisclosed.

Unfortunately, the waiting shall be prolonged for all of us.
On the brighter side, all of us will be experiencing a prolonged wait.

Which means we're all in this together!
KW

lol its already taken like 2 weeks longer than historic release dates...are you saying like much longer than that??

Fellow Comrades in Neurosis,

I have heard from an inside source which shall remain unnamed that this year's process of post-interview decisions is going to take longer than years past, for a variety of reasons which shall remain undisclosed.

Unfortunately, the waiting shall be prolonged for all of us.
On the brighter side, all of us will be experiencing a prolonged wait.

Which means we're all in this together!
KW

To be clear, two weeks after decisions normally come out and still waiting on those decisions, we have received confirmation that decisions will, in fact, come out later than decisions normally come out? Any other inside information to share?

Definitely not a student/applicant! He or she does receive a salary. Can't say from where/what as you can probably understand.

So no acceptances prior to March is confirmed then? That's really unfortunate...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else feeling like it’s quite cruel of the administration to not release decisions and give us absolutely no update on any timelines. It demonstrates a lack of empathy and concern for student wellbeing that I’m not sure I’m comfortable with in a medical school...

Anyone else feeling like it’s quite cruel of the administration to not release decisions and give us absolutely no update on any timelines. It demonstrates a lack of empathy and concern for student wellbeing that I’m not sure I’m comfortable with in a medical school...
Girl chill out lmao.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users

They didn’t promise they would release decisions to us in Jan. A fairly good chunk of medical schools don’t release any decisions until March. It’s not cruel or anything. Waiting sucks but it’s not the end of the world or indicative that the school doesn’t care about their students.

I don’t know what’s going on in Palo Alto, but whatever it is I trust that they are working hard to make some very difficult decisions. As long as it’s not “lmao we lost all of our admissions files, can u remind us who dis”

you say this now but if you get in you would 100% go.

Your feelings are completely valid, and I agree that it wouldn’t take much for the administration to send us a small update. Hopefully they will soon :) I know it would make a lot of us feel less stressed out.

Reactions: 4 users
Holy crap II just now! Thought it was over for me here!

Reactions: 6 users
Holy crap II just now! Thought it was over for me here!

sAME ahhhh! I saw the sender in my inbox and was like "great, guess that dream's finally over" before realizing what it actually said. Not a Knight-Hennessy applicant if that matters!

Sorry, this might sound dumb, but does Stanford normally do interviews on weekends? I looked up my date and was surprised to see that it was on a Saturday since I've never been invited to a weekend interview before.

Edit: complete very late August because I'm a slow sloth.

sAME ahhhh! I saw the sender in my inbox and was like "great, guess that dream's finally over" before realizing what it actually said. Not a Knight-Hennessy applicant if that matters!

Sorry, this might sound dumb, but does Stanford normally do interviews on weekends? I looked up my date and was surprised to see that it was on a Saturday since I've never been invited to a weekend interview before.

What dates are available?

CONGRATS! When were you complete? did you apply KH?
Complete mid-August! Just regular MD.

My interview is Saturday too! See you there if it's Feb 23rd :)

Congratulations to all who received an II. It would be helpful if you could ask when they expect the decisions to be released. Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:
Sorry this might have already been answered, but does anyone know what their policy is on pre-II update? I have an II but I also have an update I would like to send but I'm not sure if I should just wait until after the interview.

Sorry this might have already been answered, but does anyone know what their policy is on pre-II update? I have an II but I also have an update I would like to send but I'm not sure if I should just wait until after the interview.
You should mention it at the interview, or if you don't get a chance to talk about it, then I would send after

those have got to be some of the last II’s, right? I’m sad but ready to be served that juicy R soon :(

They are done sending out interview invites and now it is just a matter of people cancelling for spots to fill up. Dr. Gibbs informed me over the phone.

Last edited:

I'm so sorry decisions aren't out yet, since waiting for decisions really sucks. I have to disagree that its demonstrates a lack of empathy and concern for student well being though... my understanding has been that the official timeline has always been "between January and March", and while the first batch of decisions are usually expected to go out by the end of January, this should have always been emphasized as an estimate. I definitely get how frustrating the entire application process is, but I also don't think you can read too much into something like this - I can't speak for this cycle, but during mine more than half the schools I interviewed at missed their estimated release dates (some by over a month...) without any additional communication since they were "estimates", and they were all schools I definitely wouldn't characterize as having a willful disregard for student well-being either.

For what its worth, student well-being/quality of life, in addition to a school administration that actively listens to students and put their money where their mouth is when it came to implementing changes based on student feedback, was actually one of the major reasons why I choose to come here over the other similar-ish acceptances I managed to get during my cycle (Harvard, NYU, Penn etc.). This has ranged from everything from permanently pushing back the start time of morning classes a few years ago based on student feedback, killing a course and removing it from the curriculum entirely that was not well-liked last year, to polling the student body prior to almost every major curriculum-related decision (and many times opting to change plans entirely if a proposed change gets consensus opposition from the student population).

This quarter alone, our finals schedule was completely restructured half-way into the quarter (despite how difficult this must have been from an administrative perspective) in order to extend the finals period slightly so we would only have at most 1 final per day and reduce the content covered by one of our finals, purely as a response to student feedback about student well-being (as we originally having two finals on the same day in the original schedule). And all this is on top of a curriculum that already is kinda designed with student wellness in mind: MS1 starting with a 1 month "mini-quarter" of about 70% courseload to ease the transition to medschool/new location, no classes on Wednesday ever, almost everything except clinical skills training being optional and recorded - like I'm sure you guys heard on interview day even anatomy lab is technically optional attendance here, the ability to choose when you want to sit step 1, and so on.

Reactions: 14 users
They are done sending out interview invites and now it is just a matter of people cancelling for spots to fill up. Dr. Gibbs informed me over the phone.
Wait, were you on the phone with Dr. Gibbs receiving an acceptance!? And don't they interview into March, meaning if the most recent IIs were for February, there should still be a few invites to go out?

Wait, were you on the phone with Dr. Gibbs receiving an acceptance!? And don't they interview into March, meaning if the most recent IIs were for February, there should still be a few invites to go out?
Ahaha no don’t worry. I had to cancel my interview so someone else now got that spot :). She told me that they are done sending out IIs and now it is a matter of cancellations for new interview spots to fill up.

Just read through the emotional rollercoaster that was this thread last week, but it doesn't seem like this q was answered with any real certainty: Are they still doing 3 release dates, aka can early interviewees expect (hope?) to hear soon, or is everything just coming out next month?

Agree that Stanford has been amazingly supportive of its students. If anyone wants to chat about life at Stanford (especially once you are making your decisions on where to go), feel free to PM me!

Just read through the emotional rollercoaster that was this thread last week, but it doesn't seem like this q was answered with any real certainty: Are they still doing 3 release dates, aka can early interviewees expect (hope?) to hear soon, or is everything just coming out next month?
I believe this remains in the Top 5 Questions Science Still Can't Answer

Reactions: 10 users
Ya but #1 is "When is Stanford going to free tuition?"
What if its the same question? No decision has been released because they are working out how to give free tuition too? Wouldn't that be a happy ending to our extended wait?

Has anyone who interviewed recently inquired about decision dates? Thank you for your help and consideration.

Hi, I’m brand new to actually posting but have been checking this thread for the last couple weeks so feel like it’s my civic duty to update. I got an acceptance call from here about 40 minutes ago (I’m in the central time zone btw). Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 10 users
Vanity of Vanities, all is vanity.

Generations of premeds toil and to what end?
What profit have we of all our labor which we taketh under the sun?

Stanford giveth the II and Stanford giveth the R.
But the Earth abides forever.

He that observeth the wind shall not sow; and he that regardeth the clouds shall not reap.
He that refresheth his portal shall not know, and he that waiteth for post-II decision shall not sleep.

If the clouds be full of rain, they empty themselves upon the earth: and if the tree fall toward the south, or toward the north, in the place where the tree falleth, there it shall be.

If he the applicant is accepted outright, or rejected forthright, that he shall be.

As thou knowest not what is the way of the spirit, nor how the bones do grow in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of Stanford who decideth all.

But if a man be accepted to Stanford, rejoice for him; yet let him remember the days of darkness; for they shall be many. All that cometh is vanity.

Rejoice, O young applicants, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things Stanford will bring thee into judgment.

For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow.
And likewise, he that increaseth in prestige increaseth in folly.

Remember my words and bask in the days of thy youth, for there is nothing better for a man than to eat, drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour.

Thus spake QOHELETH.

:clap:Accepted !!!! Edit: interviewed early Jan

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Hi, I’m brand new to actually posting but have been checking this thread for the last couple weeks so feel like it’s my civic duty to update. I got an acceptance call from here about 40 minutes ago (I’m in the central time zone btw). Good luck everybody!

Accepted !!!!

Congrats! Any portal changes?

Got the acceptance call as well! Interviewed Jan 11th

Reactions: 8 users
ah so is that it? or should the rest of us keep holding our breath?

GOT THE CALL! Freaking out

Edit: Interviewed late October!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users