2018-2019 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if you don't mind me asking, what ruined your day and why?
Probably a post-II R or something? C O N T E X T
;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Alternate. Interviewed in September. Damn my interview must’ve been bad lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Alternate list just now, interviewed Oct 24. The weekend is gon be bumping alright

Reactions: 1 users
So it seems like they filled the class up months ago, gave alternate offers late March, and will begin to offer acceptances to alternates early April? (I’m on the alt list by the way, interviewed early Jan)

So it seems like they filled the class up months ago, gave alternate offers late March, and will begin to offer acceptances to alternates early April? (I’m on the alt list by the way, interviewed early Jan)

Yeahhh probably after April 15th and 30th.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeahhh probably after April 15th and 30th.

Can’t help but wonder when the class was filled.. like was it full prior to some of our interviews and they just anticipate a lot of movement? Otherwise it wouldn’t make sense to even continue offering interviews

is there any difference between this and a waitlist? are there any ideas about an alternative list occupant's chances of being accepted?

Can’t help but wonder when the class was filled.. like was it full prior to some of our interviews and they just anticipate a lot of movement? Otherwise it wouldn’t make sense to even continue offering interviews

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that was the case... Some schools do that and guessing by the traffic/responses after the wave of acceptances in January, that was probably their plan. But that's also assuming that no one got accepted after January, which I can't say for sure :/.

Honestly, we'll just have to wait for people to drop their acceptances and hope for the best LOL

Anyone from Jan/ Feb Interview hear anything? Seems all the decisions are for Sep-Dec

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed early December and placed on alternate list. Not the best news but honestly better than the weeks of hearing nothing

+1 for the alternate list (1/17 interview date)

Can't help but wonder how many of us there are (seems like a lot), if it's ranked, how it's ranked, or how many spots there might be for those of us on the list. Seems quite different than last year as well, so idk if theres a way of learning any of those answers.

I'm wildly speculating, but my guess based on the school and their interview "style" (or lackthereof) is that it is probably a safety for a lot of folks with a lot of movement. That said, I might be thinking wishfully.

Did you guys who got decisions all get the late spring email? if so then at least we solved the mystery of when "late spring" actually is lol

Did you guys who got decisions all get the late spring email? if so then at least we solved the mystery of when "late spring" actually is lol

I did, and am assuming most others did, since I thought they sent than email to most everyone.

I interviewed early December and placed on alternate list. Not the best news but honestly better than the weeks of hearing nothing

Honestly, considering how they handled this admissions process, I threw in the towel the moment we got those "hold emails" and expected us to be in the "alternate/back-up list" crew... ah well lol

Interviewed late November. Got late spring email. Haven't received anything today.....

Reactions: 3 users
Is there information on how many alternates there are? I also was put on the alternate list today, interviewed in Jan for reference.

If we want to accept our alternate list offer, do you sign the form? The form makes it look like only a signature needed if you check the "No" box. Maybe I'm just seeing things..

Interviewed mid dec and for late spring email. Have received no news today.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I didn’t receive the “late spring” email but I did receive an email yesterday saying they are “holding all initial decisions on admission until early 2019” and that “you should be hearing from us again in mid April”
Is this equivalent to a WL or is it the same as the “late spring” email?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I didn’t receive the “late spring” email but I did receive an email yesterday saying they are “holding all initial decisions on admission until early 2019” and that “you should be hearing from us again in mid April”
Is this equivalent to a WL or is it the same as the “late spring” email?

That's the late Spring email. The waitlist email requires you to send back a completed form to confirm your waitlist spot.

Interviewed February 11th. Alternate list today despite the interview having gone really well. Received the holding all decisions until mid spring email a few weeks ago. Bummed but hopeful

I was placed on alternate list. I interviewed February 5th.

Did the late spring email mention you will be hearing back mid April?

Mine states "We will re-review your application in the late Spring for a final decision." I then got the alternate email today.

I hope that helps. I'm sorry to anyone who is not getting the emails they want, and how frustrating the whole process is. Hope you all hang in there.

I got placed on the alternate list. Interviewed on 12/12. I'm hopeful. This is my first waitlist. All I've gotten previously were rejections lol. Better than nothing

Reactions: 6 users
Interviewed mid feb. got an email yesterday saying decisions were being withheld until mid april.

What time did you guys receive the email about alternate list/rejection/anything??

Last edited:
Me, a January 16th interviewee, who's heard nothing so far

I'm also an early January interviewee with no alternate list and no rejection. It's the end of the business day now, so...no news is good news? At this point that's all I can hope for.

I'm also an early January interviewee with no alternate list and no rejection. It's the end of the business day now, so...no news is good news? At this point that's all I can hope for.
+1

Interviewed mid February, R today. Good luck everyone!

It is predominately B neighborhood, middle of BKLN (no where).

I just withdraw my application! good luck! I was on LSH list.

Last edited:
This might be a silly question, but I'm trying to fill out the PDF they sent, and really don't want to have to print it off, hand write answers, and then scan it. However, I'm noticing that the field where they want you to write a few sentences on why you want to attend Downstate is not very big and tends to scrunch your text down/force it to run off the page. Does anyone have any clue how to make this not happen/stop it from happening??

This might be a silly question, but I'm trying to fill out the PDF they sent, and really don't want to have to print it off, hand write answers, and then scan it. However, I'm noticing that the field where they want you to write a few sentences on why you want to attend Downstate is not very big and tends to scrunch your text down/force it to run off the page. Does anyone have any clue how to make this not happen/stop it from happening??

Haha was wondering the same thing and don’t have an answer! It seems like the grey text box is only on the first line so I don’t think there’s a way to fix it? But also related note, won’t we have to print and scan it to check off the “YES” box? Or is there a way to click there?

Has anyone still not heard anything back yet? I interviewed in October

Alternate list email this morning, interviewed in December.

Anyone confused about the May 1 info in the email? From my understanding, by April 30 you have to "commit to enroll" through AMCAS to a school or else you'll lose your seat -- why can't we remain on the alternate list after that point? For example, if we have another acceptance and definitely want to start med school this fall, but would much rather hold out for the downstate acceptance in the summer if possible?

Alternate list (received yesterday); interviewed early January.

This may be an odd question, but on the form if we check "Yes" to being placed on the alternate list we also should sign above "signature", correct? (the formatting/placing of the signature line is a little confusing).

Alternate list email this morning, interviewed in December.

Anyone confused about the May 1 info in the email? From my understanding, by April 30 you have to "commit to enroll" through AMCAS to a school or else you'll lose your seat -- why can't we remain on the alternate list after that point? For example, if we have another acceptance and definitely want to start med school this fall, but would much rather hold out for the downstate acceptance in the summer if possible?

You have to "Plan to Enroll" by April 30th and can stay on waitlists. Selecting "Commit to Enroll" means you are 100% going to that school (AAMC will notify the other schools you applied to that you've committed elsewhere). Most schools don't require you to select "Commit to Enroll" until 21 days prior to matriculation.

You have to "Plan to Enroll" by April 30th and can stay on waitlists. Selecting "Commit to Enroll" means you are 100% going to that school (AAMC will notify the other schools you applied to that you've committed elsewhere). Most schools don't require you to select "Commit to Enroll" until 21 days prior to matriculation.
Thank you so much for clarifying!!

Haha was wondering the same thing and don’t have an answer! It seems like the grey text box is only on the first line so I don’t think there’s a way to fix it? But also related note, won’t we have to print and scan it to check off the “YES” box? Or is there a way to click there?
There is usually a function on adobe that allows you to put in check marks or an X, although it seems to not be cooperating on the form. There may not be a way to avoid having to hand write, but I still might print out my 2-3 sentences, cut them out, and glue/tape them onto the form before scanning. I may not be a doctor yet, but I have doctor handwriting, and I'll be dammed if I'm going to let any part of my app look sloppy.

Got the alternate list email yesterday for the record. It looks like last year there were 728 IS interviews/162 IS matriculates and 346 OOS interviews/40 OOS matriculates. Maybe 20% rejected post interview and about twice as many accepted as matriculates? Good luck to everyone else waiting!

There is usually a function on adobe that allows you to put in check marks or an X, although it seems to not be cooperating on the form. There may not be a way to avoid having to hand write, but I still might print out my 2-3 sentences, cut them out, and glue/tape them onto the form before scanning. I may not be a doctor yet, but I have doctor handwriting, and I'll be dammed if I'm going to let any part of my app look sloppy.
If you have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, there is an option for you to "Comment" (on the right side), and there I was able to draw an X on the YES option and also insert a text box under the why Downstate question so that I didn't have to squish everything in the blue box. Hopefully when I send it to them, they'll be able to see the comments, but thought this was a better alternative to printing, writing, and scanning.
Kinda disappointed about the waitlist tbh - I'm from the NYC area and Downstate was like #1/#2 for me :(