2018-2019 SUNY - Downstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
still never got a confirmation and a lil concerned, anyone else? I’m considering calling just to confirm

Members don't see this ad.

Just spoke with someone from last cycle who was accepted off waitlist around June 25 via email. The email was cryptically worded, saying "we have looked favorably upon your application".

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does SUNY drug test prior to first year? Or at all?
To my knowledge (based on all my friends in med school) most schools don't test you until you have patient contact in a hospital setting during second year.

Okay so any current students at SUNY that can confirm that there is no drug test prior to starting 3rd year?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Seems like everyone got waitlisted from the last handful of interviews. Guess they were just interviewing for the waitlist.

Have any other OOS applicants not received any news post interview? Interviewed mid-January

OOS. Interviewed early march, have not heard back other than the email that I would be hearing back in mid-April.

IS, interviewed in the fall, no alternate list, nothing aside from the late spring email.

Reactions: 1 users
Why would a school conduct a bunch of interviews throughout more than three months for spots on a waitlist

Unless they’re expecting a lot of movement. Could there be any other rationale, or am I plagued with motivated reasoning?

Reactions: 3 users
Why would a school conduct a bunch of interviews throughout more than three months for spots on a waitlist

Unless they’re expecting a lot of movement. Could there be any other rationale, or am I plagued with motivated reasoning?
I’m so confused about this as well

My alternate list email stated that their class was "full." Whether all of the acceptances have been announced or not, I don't know. I also find all of this odd.

My guess would be that they are expecting a lot of movement. I haven't looked at the MSAR in a while, but I remember Downstate's matriculated to interviewed ratio being really, really low, which could be a function of a lot of withdrawn applications. That's what I'm assuming anyhow, in light of the seemingly huge alternate list.

I think it's also important to remember that a lot of people just apply to tons of schools on the East Coast because it's a region with a lot of great hospitals, diverse patient populations, they want to live in a big city/do urban medicine, etc. This is not near as prestigious as a lot of other East Coast schools, so it could be a safety for a lot of people just trying to get to the Northeast.

And while SDN threads are not a greatly reliable indicator, this one seems to have almost no rejections and quite a few withdrawals being reported relative to all of the other school-specific threads I've followed this cycle (there are a lot of them). Though anecdotal, I think that plus everything else points to a lot of waitlist movement. Guess we'll find out in the coming weeks.

My guess would be that they are expecting a lot of movement. I haven't looked at the MSAR in a while, but I remember Downstate's matriculated to interviewed ratio being really, really low, which could be a function of a lot of withdrawn applications. That's what I'm assuming anyhow, in light of the seemingly huge alternate list.

I think it's also important to remember that a lot of people just apply to tons of schools on the East Coast because it's a region with a lot of great hospitals, diverse patient populations, they want to live in a big city/do urban medicine, etc. This is not near as prestigious as a lot of other East Coast schools, so it could be a safety for a lot of people just trying to get to the Northeast.

And while SDN threads are not a greatly reliable indicator, this one seems to have almost no rejections and quite a few withdrawals being reported relative to all of the other school-specific threads I've followed this cycle (there are a lot of them). Though anecdotal, I think that plus everything else points to a lot of waitlist movement. Guess we'll find out in the coming weeks.
I mean my guess is that people are less likely to post about rejections but I think you are right about waitlist movement.

It just doesn't make sense to for all acceptances to be from the first half of interview season

Does anybody have the post-interview acceptance rate information for IS sand OOS students?

I wonder if there’s gonna be movement soon since people need to narrow down acceptances on April 15th if they have more than three

Reactions: 4 users
Has this school stopped interviews altogether? Have people still not heard back?

Sounds like Downstate will be rejecting the rest of the applicants that did not get an interview soon. I think it's crazy that they held on to some people's applications for so long knowing that they had no intentions of interviewing them.

Is anyone else going to the Shadow-A-Student/Research Day on Wednesday?

Sounds like Downstate will be rejecting the rest of the applicants that did not get an interview soon. I think it's crazy that they held on to some people's applications for so long knowing that they had no intentions of interviewing them.
Lots of schools do that, they will send out rejections I would assume within the next weeks.

If my counting is correct, about 20 people posted they were put on the alt list. If we say about 10% of people post on SDN that would mean about 200 people were put on the Alt list so far.

Similar state schools in size put anywhere between 100-300 on their wait list and accept about 25%-50% of them.

But people are waiting to hear back from downstate still. So I wonder what that entails

If my counting is correct, about 20 people posted they were put on the alt list. If we say about 10% of people post on SDN that would mean about 200 people were put on the Alt list so far.

Similar state schools in size put anywhere between 100-300 on their wait list and accept about 25%-50% of them.

But people are waiting to hear back from downstate still. So I wonder what that entails

Are people still waiting to hear anything from downstate? I feel like I’m the only one. Really think my app got lost or something

Are people still waiting to hear anything from downstate? I feel like I’m the only one. Really think my app got lost or something
everyone is waiting to see if any movement off waitlist... They are done interviewing.

Still haven't heard back. Interviewed in the fall.

Haven't heard back either, but I interviewed in March. Someone asked about when we will hear back, and we were told end of April. I'm not sure how accurate this is, so don't quote me lol

Today is actually the last day of interviews at Downstate.

They must anticipate massive WL movement because in my alternate list email, they said that their class was "full"

This is just my optimistic speculation, but my hunch is that by saying their class is "full," they mean that they've issued acceptance offers to at least the number of seats for the class, per the March 15 AAMC deadline. Even if half of the applicants take those offers, that leaves roughly 100 seats that Downstate will need to fill from the alternate list.

This is just my optimistic speculation, but my hunch is that by saying their class is "full," they mean that they've issued acceptance offers to at least the number of seats for the class, per the March 15 AAMC deadline. Even if half of the applicants take those offers, that leaves roughly 100 seats that Downstate will need to fill from the alternate list.
Right. And what percent of those 200 will withdraw apps is the $1,000,000 question that no one has any way of answering until April 30th.

I'm also very curious/anxious about how/if the new AMCAS traffic rules will affect the number of waitlist spots offered and waitlist movement itself.

Also, is 50% of accepted applicants withdrawing a normal thing, or just a number you used for illustration? I'd like to believe half will do that, but I'm skeptical.

Also, is 50% of accepted applicants withdrawing a normal thing, or just a number you used for illustration? I'd like to believe half will do that, but I'm skeptical.

Medical schools generally send about 1.5x-2x as many acceptances as seats in the class. This holds especially true for many state schools that are considered "safety's"

So if a school like downstate has 200 seats to fill they will send out a maximum of 400 acceptances throughout the cycle.

The fifty percent withdrawing is entirely possible.

What I think the wait listing this many people does is weed out people who won't matriculate if accepted

Reactions: 2 users
tfw rooting for the nets because you think their win will portend your acceptance

Reactions: 3 users