2018-2019 SUNY Upstate Medical University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone got any idea of post-interview acceptance rate here?

They interview about 800, and accept between 380-420, some of those being off the waitlist. So maybe almost 50% through the whole cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone from 11/7 know how far they are behind with apps?
unfortunately no... during the information session, they mentioned to call the office if we don't hear back after 6 weeks, which would be next Wednesday for us

Members don't see this ad :)
Placed on the HPA list today, interviewed 11/5. Disappointed as this was my top school but not giving up hope yet. Anyone know how many people they generally take off the HPA list each year?

Placed on Hold this morning - said they will be reviewing after Dec 15th? LM 82 - Oct 25 CASPer

I'm well aware. Kudos to him, that's all.
Thank you!

I am hoping that they do see past my stats - I wasn't aware that having strong scores might actually be actually work against me - as a Canadian applicant I already have a limited number of schools that will consider me as an OOS applicant. On top of my late completion dates, I am getting a lot of silence so far in all my apps.

Have people had success getting an II after hold? What was the turnaround like?

Does this school accept updates regarding experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you!

I am hoping that they do see past my stats - I wasn't aware that having strong scores might actually be actually work against me - as a Canadian applicant I already have a limited number of schools that will consider me as an OOS applicant. On top of my late completion dates, I am getting a lot of silence so far in all my apps.

Have people had success getting an II after hold? What was the turnaround like?

Best of luck to you! I hope everything works out. It's perfectly possible that you'll get an II after a hold, not sure about turnaround though!

Placed on the HPA list today, interviewed 11/5. Disappointed as this was my top school but not giving up hope yet. Anyone know how many people they generally take off the HPA list each year?

I remember when they spoke to us during lunch that day they said we could always ask how much of a chance we have of being accepted and the lady said she’d be honest with us. If they really are your top school it probably wouldn’t hurt to just reach out and ask how far up on the list you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember when they spoke to us during lunch that day they said we could always ask how much of a chance we have of being accepted and the lady said she’d be honest with us. If they really are your top school it probably wouldn’t hurt to just reach out and ask how far up on the list you are.

I remember from my interview day the dean of admissions saying that she probably won't know much until April, after which, when you call, she will be honest about your chances.

I remember from my interview day the dean of admissions saying that she probably won't know much until April, after which, when you call, she will be honest about your chances.

Thank you for your input guys! Keeping my fingers crossed

Do you think that those who interviewed on 11/7 will hear back before the holidays?

II
Complete in early mid October
IS
Only dates available were in March and April

Reactions: 1 users

Being placed on the HPA is good. There is generally quite a lot of movement. I'm not sure what the AAMC traffic rules are now but as people decline their acceptances, the HPA will move.

Does this school accept updates regarding experiences?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! Feel free to email/snail-mail/fax them with any updates and it'll be added to your application.

Being placed on the HPA is good. There is generally quite a lot of movement. I'm not sure what the AAMC traffic rules are now but as people decline their acceptances, the HPA will move.

I've heard! I'm staying optimistic. :)

For 11/7 people, just called the admissions office and they said that the Admissions Committee is still reviewing apps so we probably won't hear until after the holiday break...Bummer.

For 11/7 people, just called the admissions office and they said that the Admissions Committee is still reviewing apps so we probably won't hear until after the holiday break...Bummer.
Nooooooooo!!! Well happy holidays everyone and good luck!

Does anyone know if they accept pre-ii update letters?

Did they give you an estimated time for how long after the holidays it would be?

Can somebody who interviewed please give a breakdown of how long we have for preparing our answer and the actual interview? Also, how many stations + rest stations were there? Thanks :)

When I called the week before Christmas they said to call again the week after the holidays (so next week). Kinda bummed it's taken so long, I understand with the holidays but on our interview day (11/7) the Dean definitely said to expect something after 5 weeks. Going on 10 weeks is a little bit stressful to say the least lol.

As for the interview day there aren't any rest stations, but one station is a survey and one station is an essay on the computer which you could consider a rest. There's like 9 stations in total I think, you get a minute or two to read the prompt before going in, and from there it's just your typical MMI format. I thought it was very easy going, and less stressful than the traditional interview format. Go over your application and make sure you know some unique things that make Upstate appealing. Hope that helps, and good luck!

Has anyone received an interview invite while previously on hold?

Pre-II rejection just now. IS LM68 complete mid-Sept and put on hold at the end of October

Pre II R just now. International. Complete end of October.

Pre II R just now. International. Complete end of October.
Just out of curiousity, as I am an international applicant as well, have you gotten any interviews from med school this cycle yet? I feel so dejected.

When I called the week before Christmas they said to call again the week after the holidays (so next week). Kinda bummed it's taken so long, I understand with the holidays but on our interview day (11/7) the Dean definitely said to expect something after 5 weeks. Going on 10 weeks is a little bit stressful to say the least lol.

As for the interview day there aren't any rest stations, but one station is a survey and one station is an essay on the computer which you could consider a rest. There's like 9 stations in total I think, you get a minute or two to read the prompt before going in, and from there it's just your typical MMI format. I thought it was very easy going, and less stressful than the traditional interview format. Go over your application and make sure you know some unique things that make Upstate appealing. Hope that helps, and good luck!
did you have to give your name when you called or just the date you interviewed on?

Just out of curiousity, as I am an international applicant as well, have you gotten any interviews from med school this cycle yet? I feel so dejected.

Just one so far. I had a late reference response, so wasn’t complete until end of October. Still hoping!

Did they give you an estimated time for how long after the holidays it would be?

Check your portals! Just got my first acceptance!

Reactions: 3 users
did anyone who was accepted here receive the background check email from Certiphi yet?

Reactions: 1 users
Just received a surprise interview here after being placed on hold in Sep (complete late July) :) Dates from late Feb

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, just wondering what the outlook is for getting off the pre-interview waitlist at this point in the cycle as an OOS? Was complete late August, placed on hold early September. Thanks in advance!