2018-2019 SUNY Upstate Medical University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did anyone who was accepted here receive the background check email from Certiphi yet?
Yes. Got it this week, it was complete like 1 hour after I submitted it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a reminder set to send an update for my new grades/courses to SUNY in january... but I can't find any information about this on their site. Is this something I need to do or is it something that I accidentally set?

I had a reminder set to send an update for my new grades/courses to SUNY in january... but I can't find any information about this on their site. Is this something I need to do or is it something that I accidentally set?
You’re probably referring to the interview page on the portal, it has a place to submit new fall grades if you have em, not sure if it’s necessary tho

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got ACCEPTED! lol I’m having a good January. Good luck everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew acceptance from here, hope it goes to one of y'all :)

HPA list on 1/11, 11/7 Interview. Bummed because I really like this school, but I've heard they have good waitlist movement so maybe there's still hope.

The interview message in my portal has dissapeared. Been replaced with this:

Your application is under committee review, and you will be notified as soon as a decision has been made.

Anyone who has received a decision seen this? Nerves got me thinking it's an R =( cause all the accepptees say the whole thing is blank.

This is normal post-Interview! Most likely means they haven’t entered a decision yet

For all of you still waiting on II's here, I'm an MS1 here and I got mine last year in mid-Feb and was accepted. Start planning on improving your app but don't lose hope! I got all my interviews (4) last year in Feb and March. Best of luck!

For all of you still waiting on II's here, I'm an MS1 here and I got mine last year in mid-Feb and was accepted. Start planning on improving your app but don't lose hope! I got all my interviews (4) last year in Feb and March. Best of luck!

Are you IS or OOS?

Accepted. Went to update them about my winter course and saw the acceptance message. Interviewed early December so check your portals!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know what is the best way to travel to and from Syracuse in February? Scheduled interview here mid Feb, was thinking about Amtrak, but I just got another II scheduled for the next morning. Now I am thinking about flying back to NYC but not to sure about the snowy weather in Feb... Any suggestions? Do flights get delayed a lot this time of the year in Syracuse? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

How would you recommend improving my application at this point? I am on the pre-interview hold. LizzyM is 68 and I am in state. I have been continuing my engagement in medical and non-medical community service during my gap year in addition to working a non-medical job.

Anyone else interviewing on 1/28? Nervous cause this is my only MD II! Any tips?

How would you recommend improving my application at this point? I am on the pre-interview hold. LizzyM is 68 and I am in state. I have been continuing my engagement in medical and non-medical community service during my gap year in addition to working a non-medical job.
Keep updating them with everything you're doing. Focus on how your experiences have enriched your preparedness to start medical school and your understanding of what medicine is all about. I wrote a concise update letter to inform them of how my application had changed since fall. Send me a DM if you want my example.

I received an interview hold email earlier in the fall. When I emailed them today to check in, I was told that I withdrew my application in November, which I don't believe I did. Did this happen to anyone else?

Keep updating them with everything you're doing. Focus on how your experiences have enriched your preparedness to start medical school and your understanding of what medicine is all about. I wrote a concise update letter to inform them of how my application had changed since fall. Send me a DM if you want my example.
So you are an MS1 - and I wonder ~.~ who

Anyone else who interviewed 11/7 not hear back yet?

For those that interviewed already, are we expected to bring anything with us?

When should we start filling out all the forms and stuff on the accepted students checklist?

When should we start filling out all the forms and stuff on the accepted students checklist?
Sooner the better. Vacc, med records and physical are needed by all schools you get accepted to.

Interviewing here next week, any interview advice/details would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

Do any current students have any thoughts on what it might be like to attend Upstate OOS with no friends/family in the area?

Hey! Did anyone else have any trouble with trying to make a hotel reservation for their interview? The number they gave on the pdf (315 476 4212) is the direct number for one of the hotels, and if I call the other hotels directly, they don't know what the SUNY Student Affairs pricing is.

Withdrew my interview, hope it goes to someone here!

Hey! Interviewing here soon. Can anyone offer any advice/details on the interview day? Thanks!!!

I got an email stating I was rejected but am being considered for a special pathway to medical school. It said after the program is done, I am guaranteed acceptance. I was told I would be contacted in April again. I am hoping i get into this program.
OOS applicant

I got an email stating I was rejected but am being considered for a special pathway to medical school. It said after the program is done, I am guaranteed acceptance. I was told I would be contacted in April again. I am hoping i get into this program.
OOS applicant

Are you URM?

OOS applicant
Was this before or after an interview?

OOS applicant

I got the same email.

Interviewing here next week, any interview advice/details would be very much appreciated! Thanks!
Same, but the week after! Super nervous!!
Hey! Interviewing here soon. Can anyone offer any advice/details on the interview day? Thanks!!!

I was super nervous going into it because it was my first MMI but it was honestly an enjoyable experience. I prepared by reviewing UW's med ethics page and by listening MMI practice scenarios on youtube during my 6hr drive up. Reviewed my app and secondary essays. I was shaky going into my first one but once I got over those initial nerves I started to really enjoy it and it was honestly kinda fun.

Really liked the school as a whole, the administrators and students were really great and genuine. Crossing my fingers for an acceptance

I received the same email. I’m IS, URM. I’ll definitely consider it once I see where everything lands when the cycle ends.

I was super nervous going into it because it was my first MMI but it was honestly an enjoyable experience. I prepared by reviewing UW's med ethics page and by listening MMI practice scenarios on youtube during my 6hr drive up. Reviewed my app and secondary essays. I was shaky going into my first one but once I got over those initial nerves I started to really enjoy it and it was honestly kinda fun.

Really liked the school as a whole, the administrators and students were really great and genuine. Crossing my fingers for an acceptance
Thanks so much for the info! Definitely makes me feel a bit better going into the interview. Best of luck!

Has anyone gotten an acceptance letter? Interview was 12/12...

For people who've interviewed - did you bring boots for the tour outside and then shoes for the interview? Or just wore your nicer shoes the whole time?

For people who've interviewed - did you bring boots for the tour outside and then shoes for the interview? Or just wore your nicer shoes the whole time?

You won't be taken outside during the tour if there's snow on the ground/it's too cold. We ain't savages.

For anyone that interviewed, did they seem open to updates post interview but before a decision?