2018-2019 SUNY Upstate Medical University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think too many people might be calling them now loll

Judging previous year threads they were all over the place about whether they gave out information before may 15th and it had no impact on ultimate acceptance. It may literally be who you're connected with or who sees the email because it makes no sense that they'd have the information and make you wait for an arbitrary date just so they can be slammed with phonecalls two weeks later.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Judging previous year threads they were all over the place about whether they gave out information before may 15th and it had no impact on ultimate acceptance. It may literally be who you're connected with or who sees the email because it makes no sense that they'd have the information and make you wait for an arbitrary date just so they can be slammed with phonecalls two weeks later.
Yeah definitely depends on who they contacted. If they’re feeling generous or not about giving information out

Emailed them about my position and just got a reply saying they haven’t started pulling people from the alternate list because the commit to enroll deadline just passed (didn’t tell me anything about my specific position)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Emailed them about my position and just got a reply saying they haven’t started pulling people from the alternate list because the commit to enroll deadline just passed (didn’t tell me anything about my specific position)

Got the same reply too.

Reactions: 1 users
+1

Yea, I'm afraid you guys definitely got trolled into calling them. That person earlier in the thread probably didn't even call, but just wanted you guys to bite the bullet:cigar::hilarious:

Yea, I'm afraid you guys definitely got trolled into calling them. That person earlier in the thread probably didn't even call, but just wanted you guys to bite the bullet:cigar::hilarious:

Uhhhh I called and was told my position after I PM’d the other person in the thread. you have to get in contact with Carolyn Couch. Not a troll. We’re all adults, there would be no need to mess our potential future classmates around.

EDIT: I was told that they would not start pulling from the alternate list UNTIL May 15th (sorry, pretty bad typo to make lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just withdrew my acceptance here! Wish y'all the best!

Reactions: 10 users
Well everyone, it's May 15th. Today is (maybe) the day some of us should get some good news!!! WHO'S EXCITED

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Well everyone, it's May 15th. Today is (maybe) the day some of us should get some good news!!! WHO'S EXCITED
watch them take literally no one today smh I wouldn't be surprised.

I have been waiting for this day!!!! Hahaha. Fingers crossed guys!!

Just called and they told me my relative spot on the HPA, but the list isn't moving yet. The person didn't tell me anything about when they might calling people up.

• Sad
These adcoms are ridiculous. In the start of May they say May 15th and now they say in the next 2 weeks. Is this because of the new AMCAS policies?

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe we'll get some news soon. No one has reported getting accepted off the HPA list yet, so I don't think there's any need to be worried. Last year they were still accepting people in early July! Just keep hoping for the best.

Supposedly my application is still "under committee review"....since February. Called them up because I don't buy it for a second. They told me they're still doing committee decisions until the end of May. Might explain why they claim 2 weeks more before they pull from the HPA list.

I have an acceptance at another school so I'm not upset about it, but it definitely seems disorganized and not that fair on their part.

• Sad
Supposedly my application is still "under committee review"....since February. Called them up because I don't buy it for a second. They told me they're still doing committee decisions until the end of May. Might explain why they claim 2 weeks more before they pull from the HPA list.

I have an acceptance at another school so I'm not upset about it, but it definitely seems disorganized and not that fair on their part.

You interviewed in February and never received a decision?!?!

You interviewed in February and never received a decision?!?!

That is correct. They did say 6-8 weeks for a decision but at this point it's ridiculous and reflects badly on them in my eyes. Hope y'all still waiting to hear get off the HPA list!! They're not really leaving you much time to organize housing by waiting until June. Almost every other school has started pulling from their waitlists already, the new system is supposed to streamline this process.

That is correct. They did say 6-8 weeks for a decision but at this point it's ridiculous and reflects badly on them in my eyes. Hope y'all still waiting to hear get off the HPA list!! They're not really leaving you much time to organize housing by waiting until June. Almost every other school has started pulling from their waitlists already, the new system is supposed to streamline this process.

I’m so sorry, that is so frustrating... luckily I’m in Syracuse already so I will be okay if I don’t hear back until June, but nevertheless I’d like to know if I have to start reapplying at the end of May!

Part of me just lost hope that I'm actually coming off this waitlist

@Dr.Mufasa did you call and ask about your rank?

They just told me the same stuff as everyone else. We usually reach beyond your point on the waitlist. They haven't had any movement on the wait list yet. They won't start taking student off it until a few weeks later. Part of me feels like it's just a script that they read out

So I called and the person I spoke told me the list has started moving very slowly, which is in contrast to what some of you guys appear to have been told on the phone. Let's just be patient I guess! The waitlist game is a long one.

• Angry
So I called and the person I spoke told me the list has started moving very slowly, which is in contrast to what some of you guys appear to have been told on the phone. Let's just be patient I guess! The waitlist game is a long one.

What?? Haha it’s like we’re all calling different schools at this point. Well, I’m going to hope for the best! Thanks for sharing.

What?? Haha it’s like we’re all calling different schools at this point. Well, I’m going to hope for the best! Thanks for sharing.

no problem! I'm not sure who I called it was just the first person that picked up the phone who told me, but I'm hoping that its true!

Hey everyone.. MS1 here. For those of you waiting to hear back about coming off of the HPA list: don't fret, especially if they haven't even pulled many people off of it yet. There was a lot of movement reported on here last year. I personally was pulled 2 days before orientation began last year! Was it optimal? No. Was it totally worth the crazy, hectic days that followed? Totally. Upstate is a great school. My experience here so far has been invaluable. I know it's agonizing, but hang in there. You'll look back in 6 months and be like man that feels like it was ten years ago! Good luck!!!! :)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone.. MS1 here. For those of you waiting to hear back about coming off of the HPA list: don't fret, especially if they haven't even pulled many people off of it yet. There was a lot of movement reported on here last year. I personally was pulled 2 days before orientation began last year! Was it optimal? No. Was it totally worth the crazy, hectic days that followed? Totally. Upstate is a great school. My experience here so far has been invaluable. I know it's agonizing, but hang in there. You'll look back in 6 months and be like man that feels like it was ten years ago! Good luck!!!! :)

I have gone back in prior year’s threads and have seen your name so when I saw this I was like “ahhh” celebrity Thanks for your support!

I have gone back in prior year’s threads and have seen your name so when I saw this I was like “ahhh” celebrity Thanks for your support!

hahaha me too I recognised the name! best of luck everyone. They pull a lot of people from the HPA list traditionally so hopefully this year is the same

Anyone know why they’re waiting so late to take people off of the HPA list?

• Sad
I called today to see if they could give me any updates, since I'm on the HPA list and dying of stress, and they just gave me another email address? Did anyone get an answer over the phone?

I called today to see if they could give me any updates, since I'm on the HPA list and dying of stress, and they just gave me another email address? Did anyone get an answer over the phone?

I second this. I called a week ago so I don’t want to call again so soon, but if anyone else could call that would be fantastic.

That’s odd. When I called on the 15th I stated I was on the HPA list and wanted to inquire about my position and they transferred my call. Perhaps the person who typically deals with the HPA list is out for the day? I’d try again tomorrow.

That’s odd. When I called on the 15th I stated I was on the HPA list and wanted to inquire about my position and they transferred my call. Perhaps the person who typically deals with the HPA list is out for the day? I’d try again tomorrow.

Call Carolyn couch, she is the person who told me!

Just got the call from Carolyn, it is moving! Need time to consider but likely withdrawing

Reactions: 5 users
Call Carolyn couch, she is the person who told me!
thank you! Yeah they gave me her email, I guess she was out. I ended up getting an email back saying they have reached my position in previous years, which doesn't sound great but also isn't a no I guess

Congrats!!! Did you call earlier and get your position by chance?
No I did not, she called me and said they reached my name on the list and few minutes later I got the A email

Woohoo! Congrats! Hoping I get that call in the next few days!

When did you get put on the HPA?
I was put on HPA on 4/5.
Also I've decided to withdraw my A from upstate, hope it goes to one of you!!!! Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 3 users
I was put on HPA on 4/5.
Also I've decided to withdraw my A from upstate, hope it goes to one of you!!!! Good luck everybody!

Best of luck to you wherever you are going! Thank you for opening up a space too lol

Does anyone know if Upstate accepts online courses for its English pre-requisite? MSAR doesn’t specify

So anyone have any speculations on the deafining silence in the thread RN?

So anyone have any speculations on the deafining silence in the thread RN?

I wish I knew :( Part of me thinks their class is close to full so theres only a little waitlist movement.... Anyone call recently?

I wish I knew :( Part of me thinks their class is close to full so theres only a little waitlist movement.... Anyone call recently?

I think they’re teasing at this point. They might take like 4-5 more people from here through August, but hopefully more

Did anyone get the required summer reading email this morning? Is this standard for med schools?