2018-2019 SUNY Upstate Medical University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MS1 here guys! Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
MS1 here guys! Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!!!
Was the MMI difficult in your opinion or was it more of a general conversation? I've never been to a MMI before and I just want to get a general vibe of the interview in general. Thanks!

Was the MMI difficult in your opinion or was it more of a general conversation? I've never been to a MMI before and I just want to get a general vibe of the interview in general. Thanks!
It was definitely different from anywhere else I interviewed at. However, I must say it was the most fun I had while interviewing. You have multiple chances of making a great impression and the topics range a lot. Just be yourself and take one station at a time, I know it's been said multiple times, but it is the best way I think you can prepare for it.

Also, it doesn't matter how the previous station went just focus on the one you are doing right now! They are all independent of each other!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was invited to interview earlier this week and scheduled my interview for early November. Is that too late to interview? Will this hurt my chances at Upstate??

I was invited to interview earlier this week and scheduled my interview for early November. Is that too late to interview? Will this hurt my chances at Upstate??
Even though it’s rolling admissions I believe they interview until March so you’re still on the earlier side, you’ll be fine!

It was definitely different from anywhere else I interviewed at. However, I must say it was the most fun I had while interviewing. You have multiple chances of making a great impression and the topics range a lot. Just be yourself and take one station at a time, I know it's been said multiple times, but it is the best way I think you can prepare for it.

Also, it doesn't matter how the previous station went just focus on the one you are doing right now! They are all independent of each other!

I was wondering if you could answer this question for me?

I'm a little confused about the curriculum. It says they have a Preventative Medicine Program, but is that for after you complete medical school (i.e. residency?) It's confusing because it says that its four years: Curriculum Overview | Public Health and Preventive Medicine |SUNY Upstate Medical University

For those that did their CASPer and got the complete email how long did it take?

Also did anybody else who wrote the CASPer on August 8th still not have their application portal updated with CASPer being received?

I'm in the same boat! Wrote CASPer Aug 8 and still no confirmation on SUNY portal

on pre-ii hold as of 6:00am this morning

I was also placed on hold. I found this message from last year's thread "Hi all, Upstate M2 here. I will try my best to answer any questions you might have about Upstate.

My cycle: I was put on pre-interview hold at Upstate on Sept 1st, and I received an II in January, interviewed, and was accepted a week later. This also happened to several people last year on last year's thread, so if you're on pre-interview hold, it does not mean you're rejected!"

Looks like there is still some hope!

Reactions: 3 users
Got the complete email this morning finally! They added my CASPer on 8/31 :|
That's good to hear! Still nothing on my end but hopefully something within the next couple days :(

Members don't see this ad :)
That's good to hear! Still nothing on my end but hopefully something within the next couple days :(

I emailed them before they added CASPer to my file. Not sure how much that helped, just an FYI. It seems to be taking a week for them to add it either way.

email this morning. never got a complete email but i believe i got everything around early to mid August

Everyone with a hold. What’s your LizzyM and IS/OOS if you don’t mind sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If anyone can please be kind enough and let me know how long it took for them to get a secondary?
Thanks in advance.

Just got put on hold

Pre-II hold this morning. IS LM ~67, but upward trend and 3.96 masters GPA

On Pre-II hold here as of Saturday, Sep 1st.

Was complete here 07/17, IS, Stats in signature.

Anyone who has an interview yesterday care to share their experience?

wow 47 secondaries! how long did all that take? was it all M.D or some D.O too?

all 47 MD! And it did take forever. I'm actually in a PhD program about to graduate, so luckily I set my own schedule and therefore have a ton of flexible time to insert writing sessions. But yeah I would say I was writing almost every night for four hours a night from July 10th to August 1st. WHEW, thankfully it's done.

How is everyone checking their portal? mine says my waiver was approved, nothing else.

I was wondering if you could answer this question for me?

I'm a little confused about the curriculum. It says they have a Preventative Medicine Program, but is that for after you complete medical school (i.e. residency?) It's confusing because it says that its four years: Curriculum Overview | Public Health and Preventive Medicine |SUNY Upstate Medical University

I believe that you are looking at the Public Health college. It's a tiny bit complicated, but at Upstate, there are four colleges, one university. Public Health is definitely a huge and very well-received program here, but it is not traditionally part of the COM curriculum. There are some students who temporarily halt their COM program after second year and spend an additional year to complete an MPH degree, but that is only for students who choose to and apply for it. Most COM students don't have that as part of the curriculum. As far as I am aware, it's not a residency program.

Just an MS2 here, so don't quote me on this. When in doubt, don't hesitate to reach out to the admissions office! They are always super friendly and more than happy to answer any questions you have. Hope this helps!

Is there supposed to be something on the status column of the portal? Everything is in for me but that column is blank.

Any general comments on interview day and the MMI process? Please tell me it wasn’t too stressful haha.
It really wasn't and the MMI is all explained before you go through it so you will know exactly what to expect on it! They are great at that

Also on hold, anyone else keep getting the email sent to them? I'm on my 4th over the last 6 days :bored:

Reactions: 7 users
Man, they really want us to remember where we stand. You’re on hold and DON’T FORGET IT.

Reactions: 5 users
Can anyone who’s already interviewed/interviewing Monday please PM me the text from the 3-day-before confirmation email? I realized that since I never got the interview email when I got my II I might not get the confirmation email and I wanna make sure I have all the info I need for this week. Thanks!

Can anyone who’s already interviewed/interviewing Monday please PM me the text from the 3-day-before confirmation email? I realized that since I never got the interview email when I got my II I might not get the confirmation email and I wanna make sure I have all the info I need for this week. Thanks!
Please allow this email to serve as a reminder that you are scheduled for an interview at SUNY Upstate Medical University on 09/10/18.

Please report to room 1213 Weiskotten Hall no later than 08:45 am.

If you were scheduled for a virtual interview, you do not need to come to campus. Please note that if a virtual interview was not offered to you through you interview invitation, it is not an option for the program to which you have applied.

If for some reason you cannot attend your scheduled interview please notify us as soon as possible at 315-464-4570.

does anyone know if we can send update letters once we are on pre interview hold? thanks!

II on 8/28! LM ~67 forgot to update the thread but yaaayyy NY is my home state :)