2018-2019 SUNY Upstate Medical University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II 09/26/18 International Non-Canadian, Submitted 8/28... Went to a SUNY for undergrad.
Mind me asking what's your stats?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stupid question, but how do you check the status of your application?!

When I login to my portal, it just shows that they've received everything, no status tab or anything like that. I haven't received a completion emails, just a submission one!
Submitted 08/26, Casper 09/12

Reactions: 1 users
Correct me if I'm wrong, but admissions said decisions will come out earliest on the 16th right? I just want to make sure since this is probably going to be the first school I hear back from. Good luck to everyone else waiting for a final decision!
I heard the earliest decision will be made/sent out from 10/15. I interviewed on 10/3, and they said the people who interviewed on that day will hear back from them from the first week of November.

I heard the earliest decision will be made/sent out from 10/15. I interviewed on 10/3, and they said the people who interviewed on that day will hear back from them from the first week of November.
Yep i interviewed in early September and they said they couldn’t release until October 15 and would then... so can confirm this

Can Anyone who’s been on the interview already give a summary of how the day was like?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I'm a MS1 at Upstate right now. I didn't browse the thread if anyone had received this from the adcom yet, but if you get a "hold for spring consideration", it isn't over! Me and three people at my interview were placed on hold for spring consideration in October, then interviewed in Feb and were admitted. Best of luck with your applications and if you have any questions specific to Upstate I'm happy to help.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else having trouble logging into the portal?

-And also is there a student host program available?

Is anyone else having trouble logging into the portal?

-And also is there a student host program available?

Same, it says that there's network problems and I can't even get to the log in webpage

Pre-II hold email received this morning. LM: 69, OOS (Canadian), complete 10/4.

Does anyone have an idea of why I was complete weeks before and still silence? Also Canadian.
It’s usually normal to have a long silent period after completion unless you completed super early in the cycle.

It’s usually normal to have a long silent period after completion unless you completed super early in the cycle.
what's your definition of super early? I was complete for all of my schools during the last 2 weeks of August. Is this late? Haven't heard back from ~ 85-90% of my schools!

what's your definition of super early? I was complete for all of my schools during the last 2 weeks of August. Is this late? Haven't heard back from ~ 85-90% of my schools!

Definitely isn’t super early. I’ve only heard back from one school i completed after August 1st.

I consider around mid July as super early, in your case it’s not early but not very late as well. I guess you will start to hear back in one month.

Bannerweb works fine for me at the moment.

Thanks mine started working also, I believe it was down for a moment.

-Also can anyone who already interviewed here or any current students PM me? Thanks!

Recently interviewed and liked the school a lot. Idk if it has been posted earlier in the thread, but they said they offer acceptances to 350-400 of the 750-800 interviewees.

Recently interviewed and liked the school a lot. Idk if it has been posted earlier in the thread, but they said they offer acceptances to 350-400 of the 750-800 interviewees.
To be more accurate, they said they offer 420 acceptances, which makes the post interview acceptance rate of 53-56%.

Accepted!! No email, just checked the portal! Interviewed 9/5 (the first day).

Last edited:
Hi friends pls post when you interviewed if you're accepted or put on a waitlist. I was not in the first interview round (oct 3rd), but I'd like to see if anyone from my cohort was accepted! Congrats to those who heard great news already, though!

Hey guys, congrats on the acceptances! For those of you who interviewed, what did you like and dislike about the school?

Guys I am confused, if I want to pay the deposit to secure my place I need to accept the offer right? But can I withdraw later if I have better place to go? The office said we have two weeks to make the decision.

Yes you need to accept the offer. I already payed the deposit and it is 100 dollars, which is refundable up until May 1st. It explains it as you go through the online acceptance pages.
So I can withdraw in the future if I have better place to go, even after accepting the offer?

Guys I am confused, if I want to pay the deposit to secure my place I need to accept the offer right? But can I withdraw later if I have better place to go? The office said we have two weeks to make the decision.
Yes, you have until April 30th to fully accept or rescind all offers

Yes, you have until April 30th to fully accept or rescind all offers
Sweet, sorry I have so many questions, how do we "fully accept or rescind"? Like Upstate, if I accept their offer now and want to withdraw later, do I just email them or call them? Thank you for your patience of answering my questions! I am excited and confused at the same time XD

Sweet, sorry I have so many questions, how do we "fully accept or rescind"? Like Upstate, if I accept their offer now and want to withdraw later, do I just email them or call them? Thank you for your patience of answering my questions! I am excited and confused at the same time XD
No worries! So the way I’ve been told it works by second and med students alike is that you can accept offers from multiple schools up until I think April 15th when you can only hold 3 acceptances. Then you have until April 30th to choose only one school. So basically you accept whichever offers you want and rescind the ones you don’t by April 15/30th (idk if it’s by email or phone call but I’d imagine phonecall is better cuz they’d tell you if you need to do it over email instead).

Personally I havent Interviewed at upstate yet (mines in a couple of weeks) but I’m debating rescinding my interview because I got Other acceptances. Mind telling me some pros and cons about the school?

Has anyone gotten the acceptance via Email?? Curious to see my campus assignment

No worries! So the way I’ve been told it works by second and med students alike is that you can accept offers from multiple schools up until I think April 15th when you can only hold 3 acceptances. Then you have until April 30th to choose only one school. So basically you accept whichever offers you want and rescind the ones you don’t by April 15/30th (idk if it’s by email or phone call but I’d imagine phonecall is better cuz they’d tell you if you need to do it over email instead).

Personally I havent Interviewed at upstate yet (mines in a couple of weeks) but I’m debating rescinding my interview because I got Other acceptances. Mind telling me some pros and cons about the school?
Sure! Students seem happy and I love the atmosphere of cooperation. The hardware of the school is not bad. The interview at upstate is the one I enjoyed the most so far TBH. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I don’t really love the location and the city, but it’s still a OK place.
Has anyone gotten the acceptance via Email?? Curious to see my campus assignment
you will see that after you accept the offer, it will be on the portal.

Isn’t the MD/PhD program here not a true MSTP, as it is not NIH funded?
You are right, but MSTP is 1 entire less character :p
Personally it doesn't matter to me as long as the class size is decent and its fully funded.

You are right, but MSTP is 1 entire less character :p
Personally it doesn't matter to me as long as the class size is decent and its fully funded.

Are you sure it’s fully funded? At the interview I thought I heard that there was a stipend during PhD years, but it sounded like you still need to pay MD tuition maybe? I could be wrong though.

Are you sure it’s fully funded? At the interview I thought I heard that there was a stipend during PhD years, but it sounded like you still need to pay MD tuition maybe? I could be wrong though.
Stipends & Fees | MD/PhD Program |SUNY Upstate Medical University
All MD/PhD students receive a full-tuition waiver and a competitive 12-month stipend of $26,051.
Yes all MD/PhD students receive a stipend and tuition waiver for all years - both while in the COM and in the CGS. The stipend for 2017-2018 is $26,051.00.

Did anyone who interviewed after the week of 9/10 hear back yet?

After the week of 9/12 - did anyone hear back yet?