2018-2019 SUNY Upstate Medical University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who have been accepted -- any idea regarding how the acceptance packet is received? Would it have been sent in an e-mail or will it arrive via snail mail? I never received an e-mail, just saw my acceptance on the portal. Wondering if anyone has any info before I contact the admissions office. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The portal is so ****ty, just logged in and it literally just says accepted in the bottom! Does anybody know when is the deadline to make the deposit? Also by what date can we request a refund?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The portal is so ****ty, just logged in and it literally just says accepted in the bottom! Does anybody know when is the deadline to make the deposit? Also by what date can we request a refund?
What week did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, not a very active poster, but an avid reader of this forum, I got an acceptance here today and am thrilled. To all those who got acceptances today: Congratulations! To all who were wait-listed: Best of luck and keep your spirits up! To those who were rejected: don't despair, if this is really what you want then keep pushing and you'll make it happen. If you're still waiting to hear or have an interview coming up: best of luck and congratulations!

For those who have been accepted -- any idea regarding how the acceptance packet is received? Would it have been sent in an e-mail or will it arrive via snail mail? I never received an e-mail, just saw my acceptance on the portal. Wondering if anyone has any info before I contact the admissions office. Thanks!
I didn't get an email when I was accepted. I just knew that the results would be out yesterday so I went into the portal and saw. After I paid the deposit and accepted my spot, I got an email with the acceptance and a link to the letter.

The acceptance packet gets mailed to whatever your permanent address is. So for me, it's going to my parent's house and they're going to forward it on to my current address. You have an option to change your address if you want but I didn't since it pertains to tax stuff and wanted to keep it the same

I didn't get an email when I was accepted. I just knew that the results would be out yesterday so I went into the portal and saw. After I paid the deposit and accepted my spot, I got an email with the acceptance and a link to the letter.

The acceptance packet gets mailed to whatever your permanent address is. So for me, it's going to my parent's house and they're going to forward it on to my current address. You have an option to change your address if you want but I didn't since it pertains to tax stuff and wanted to keep it the same

I accepted my spot and put down $100, but I only got an email for the receipt of paying the fee, I never got an email with the acceptance.

Anyone hear who interviewed on or later than 9/19. I'm waiting here at the computer hoping!

I payed the deposit yesterday. Did your message of "Thank you for the deposit!" go away on the portal? It disappeared for me this morning haha.
Same for me, but I guess we have the confirmation email so it should be fine. Also when I click on the "acceptance letter" link in the acceptance email today, it led to the portal and I didn't see the letter again, although it was there the first time I clicked on the link yesterday. Is that the same case for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if you would know the answer to this, but how many of your classmates were admitted in October/How likely is it to be admitted in October for this school? I'm anxiously waiting for a decision that will most likely come out this week! Thanks!
I know at least 4 or 5 people that got admitted in October, it isnt something most people talk about so it could be many more than that.

Did anybody get any sort of scholarship notification, either through the portal or their acceptance letter here? I wanted to inquire as to whether they provide merit scholarships, but I don't want to do that if they already disperse them during acceptances. Thanks!
I didn’t see that anywhere, won’t hurt if you email them and ask.

Has anyone tried to log into My Upstate? I got the email with the User ID but using my password from the application portal isn't working. Any suggestions?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can someone confirm for me what the grading system is for upstate? I got a bunch of different answers from the med students so I am kind of confused.
It's pass/fail for preclinical.

My confusion is whether or not this is with internal rankings. If it is with internal rankings, do residencies see it? My biggest concern is whether or not the schools is true pass/fail or not.
From what I got in the interview. You need a minium of 70% for the block to pass it. The raw percantage you get per block will be aggregated with your clinical rotation grades into your overall class ranking in your dean's letter (they have to rank students anyways) and AOA determination. So upstate isnt true pass fail. Most or maybe even all residencies place more emphasis on Step 1 and clinical grades than preclinical grades. Most of the students I met were pretty laid back despite the internal ranking system.

My confusion is whether or not this is with internal rankings. If it is with internal rankings, do residencies see it? My biggest concern is whether or not the schools is true pass/fail or not.

I'm an MS1 so not 100% sure but pretty sure that residencies don't see preclinical grades. There is an internal ranking to determine AOA but the dean letters are based on clinical grades.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Has anyone received an on hold email?

I applied and was accepted into the rural medical scholars program, anyone else on here do this too?

Does anyone know the policy on sending updates?

Does anyone know the policy on sending updates?
They welcome updates. Done through the application portal once you've interviewed. I only did a post-I update so I'm not sure what the process is for pre-I updates

Dropping my interview today. Good luck everybody!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have an idea whether the upstate corruption investigation will affect the medical education?

Anyone have an idea whether the upstate corruption investigation will affect the medical education?

In short, most likely not. The LCME and ACGME don't care about politics. The figureheads that have caused the controversies played a minimal role in teaching positions. While the medical school curriculum has been constantly changing, it has been due to student feedback with none of it attributed to the financial/political upheavals.

In short, most likely not. The LCME and ACGME don't care about politics. The figureheads that have caused the controversies played a minimal role in teaching positions. While the medical school curriculum has been constantly changing, it has been due to student feedback with none of it attributed to the financial/political upheavals.

Do political things like this happen often with US med schools?

Sure! Students seem happy and I love the atmosphere of cooperation. The hardware of the school is not bad. The interview at upstate is the one I enjoyed the most so far TBH. Everyone is so friendly and helpful. I don’t really love the location and the city, but it’s still a OK place.

I wish I had interviewed on the day you did! I was expecting to love Upstate but left the interview day feeling very put off. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it but I think it was because I didn’t meet any students who seemed enthusiastic or even very knowledgeable about the school.

I asked several of my typical questions I like to ask at interviews and frequently heard things like “I’m not sure you should ask an [class year] student.” Then we didn’t get a chance to meet any of that year student. Most students we talked to didn't seem happy, and I don't really feel like we even got to interact with many students.. At other schools, the interview day is almost entirely student-run: tours, info sessions, lunches, interviews. At upstate it felt like we were being kept away from students. Although medical students did conduct the MMI's with us and we did have student tour guides, the information sessions were all conducted by faculty. We couldn't talk too much with the interviewers, so we really only talked to a few students.

Every other spot I’ve interviewed had random students in the halls hanging out, studying, smiling and saying hello to our tour groups. They would say things like “good luck!” Or “hope you come here it’s great!”. But I didn’t see that at all at upstate. The students and deans we met with seemed bored of us from the get-go, and indifferent towards our opinion of the school. This is a huge difference from all of my other schools!

I was really sad that this was my experience at upstate. I love syracuse and expected to love upstate. Maybe I just got unlucky and interviewed on a bad day. I am glad to hear that you had the opposite experience!

I wish I had interviewed on the day you did! I was expecting to love Upstate but left the interview day feeling very put off. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it but I think it was because I didn’t meet any students who seemed enthusiastic or even very knowledgeable about the school.

I asked several of my typical questions I like to ask at interviews and frequently heard things like “I’m not sure you should ask an [class year] student.” Then we didn’t get a chance to meet any of that year student. Most students we talked to didn't seem happy, and I don't really feel like we even got to interact with many students.. At other schools, the interview day is almost entirely student-run: tours, info sessions, lunches, interviews. At upstate it felt like we were being kept away from students. Although medical students did conduct the MMI's with us and we did have student tour guides, the information sessions were all conducted by faculty. We couldn't talk too much with the interviewers, so we really only talked to a few students.

Every other spot I’ve interviewed had random students in the halls hanging out, studying, smiling and saying hello to our tour groups. They would say things like “good luck!” Or “hope you come here it’s great!”. But I didn’t see that at all at upstate. The students and deans we met with seemed bored of us from the get-go, and indifferent towards our opinion of the school. This is a huge difference from all of my other schools!

I was really sad that this was my experience at upstate. I love syracuse and expected to love upstate. Maybe I just got unlucky and interviewed on a bad day. I am glad to hear that you had the opposite experience!

It sounds like you had a terrible experience. My experience was totally opposite to yours.

Do political things like this happen often with US med schools?

Not really too sure to be honest with you. When they do happen, things are generally kept hush hush until the media catches wind, which is what happened here.

Hi - sorry to hear you had a bad interview day experience. That is honestly not the norm here because we try our best to make everyone feel welcome and relaxed for their interviews! Unfortunately, first impressions are tough to change but feel free to contact any of the current students here if you have any further questions/complaints or even suggestions as to what we can do to make sure this doesn’t happen in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Not really too sure to be honest with you. When they do happen, things are generally kept hush hush until the media catches wind, which is what happened here.

Hi - sorry to hear you had a bad interview day experience. That is honestly not the norm here because we try our best to make everyone feel welcome and relaxed for their interviews! Unfortunately, first impressions are tough to change but feel free to contact any of the current students here if you have any further questions/complaints or even suggestions as to what we can do to make sure this doesn’t happen in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That is a great idea. Thank you for commenting. I think if I do get accepted I will call to set up a second-look type thing!

I had a good experience here but I will say one of my tour guides mentioned that he should've gone to Buffalo so was definitely put off by that....

Tbh, I also left the tour with a off-put mood. Maybe it was the weather that day, but the place just seemed dark and depressing. The student tour guides were knowledgeable and tired their best to sell the school, but compared to other tours I've been on, the place just seems dead. Not sure if others experienced the same thing I did...

Absolutely my favorite interview thus far. Hope I get an acceptance soon!

Does anyone know if the stations are open or closed-file, in general?

Hey.... those who interviewed on the 19th of Sept may want to check their portals... no email, but I got the good news :)

Reactions: 1 user
For those that interviewed, is there a place to store luggage? Will be traveling back right from the campus afterwards at the end of the day.

For those that interviewed, is there a place to store luggage? Will be traveling back right from the campus afterwards at the end of the day.
Yeah there's a cozy closet for you to store things into during the interview day.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey.... those who interviewed on the 19th of Sept may want to check their portals... no email, but I got the good news :)
thank you - also received some good news MD class of 2023:clap:

Last edited:
Interview on Wednesday, Nov. 7th for RMSP! If anyone else on here has an interview that day, could you send me the details about the day, please? I am not receiving any of the emails from them and there is no arrival time or anything on my applicant portal. Thank you!

Here are my stats for anyone who is curious!
In-state applicant
Undergrad sGPA- 3.7
Undergrad cGPA- 3.8
Master's sGPA- 4.0
Master's cGPA- 3.98
MCAT- 515

Interview on Wednesday, Nov. 7th for RMSP! If anyone else on here has an interview that day, could you send me the details about the day, please? I am not receiving any of the emails from them and there is no arrival time or anything on my applicant portal. Thank you!

Here are my stats for anyone who is curious!
In-state applicant
Undergrad sGPA- 3.7
Undergrad cGPA- 3.8
Master's sGPA- 4.0
Master's cGPA- 3.98
MCAT- 515

Nice! I got accepted into RMSP! I actually set up a meeting with Carrie Roseamelia PhD, the director of RMSP, to talk about the program. I highly suggest it, she's super cool and can tell you more about the program than what's on the website.

Just got a post-interview rejection - interviewed October 10. Good luck to all of you!! :)