2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone else wondering about the timed portion of the secondary: I asked a representative in the admissions office and they recommended giving yourself ~45 minutes to complete the timed portion in total, although you may finish quicker than that.

Cheers, everyone!

For anyone else wondering about the timed portion of the secondary: I asked a representative in the admissions office and they recommended giving yourself ~45 minutes to complete the timed portion in total, although you may finish quicker than that.

Cheers, everyone!
Can confirm, took me about 45 to complete

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@SOM Admissions Quick question: in the identifying information portion of the Secondary Application there is a Y/N question "Did you attend a junior/community college during your undergraduate years?"

If I did not attend community college during my undergraduate years, but I attended both prior to starting at my undergraduate institution and after graduating from undergrad to prepare for applying to medical school, would that be an appropriate reason to answer "Yes"? Or should I answer No to this question?

My literal interpretation of the question makes me think No, but if the essence of the question is to ask if I've completed considerable coursework at a community college, then I think I'd answer Yes.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

P.S: And if "yes", should I count the hours solely after graduation from college, or before starting undergrad as well (before undergrad was dual-credit in high school)?

Last edited:
@SOM Admissions Quick question: in the identifying information portion of the Secondary Application there is a Y/N question "Did you attend a junior/community college during your undergraduate years?"

If I did not attend community college during my undergraduate years, but I attended both prior to starting at my undergraduate institution and after graduating from undergrad to prepare for applying to medical school, would that be an appropriate reason to answer "Yes"? Or should I answer No to this question?

My literal interpretation of the question makes me think No, but if the essence of the question is to ask if I've completed considerable coursework at a community college, then I think I'd answer Yes.

P.S: And if "yes", should I count the hours solely after graduation from college, or before starting undergrad as well (before undergrad was dual-credit in high school)?
I had the same question regarding dual-credit hours (taken during high school) when I was filling out the secondary, so I called the Office of Admissions and the staff member I spoke with over the phone told me to count those hours as taken during my undergrad years. I would recommend calling their office to confirm for your specific situation, they have been very helpful in answering any questions I've had.

Reactions: 1 users

It is to capture the amount of education that came from a CC, regardless of when, so go with all credits earned.

Reactions: 2 users
@SOM Admissions I will be taking prerequisite courses in the spring semester. Do I need to submit proof of registration or an unofficial transcript to the admissions office in order to receive an interview invite?

Do we send any grade updates to the school or simply send our transcripts to amcas for fall semester final grade updates?

@SOM Admissions, I am expected to have a publication and have started a 1000 hour service project commitment since submitting my primary and was curious, does the school accepted an activity updates?

Members don't see this ad :)
@SOM Admissions I will be taking prerequisite courses in the spring semester. Do I need to submit proof of registration or an unofficial transcript to the admissions office in order to receive an interview invite?

You will include the projected coursework on the supplemental application only if the courses are to satisfy a prereq. Otherwise, we do not capture other enrollment and no transcripts are needed, unless requested, during the application process. All accepted candidates will submit a final transcript close to the start of school.

Still no interviews?

Our goal remains to send a few invitations prior to our break (we work through Friday) and we may even sprinkle some joy over the holiday closure - Dec 22-Jan 1.

Otherwise, work resumes on January 2.

Reactions: 18 users
Our goal remains to send a few invitations prior to our break (we work through Friday) and we may even sprinkle some joy over the holiday closure - Dec 22-Jan 1.

Otherwise, work resumes on January 2.
Thats great, thank you!!

Hoping beyond hope for this school to end that drought today, but I suppose even if I do somehow squeeze out a miracle II here I probably won't be one of the first lol
I hope you get an II. I was so nervous that I stuttered so much in my secondary so I doubt I'll get an II. Best of luck to all of you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

I hope you get an II. I was so nervous that I stuttered so much in my secondary so I doubt I'll get an II. Best of luck to all of you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile
Oh man, I am for sure in the same situation. I didn’t even realize the beginning of my secondary wasn’t recording for a portion of the audio response, so I think the main idea of one of my answers is messed up. Not too confident on the others as well haha. The mission statement focusing on empathy was something I could really relate to, so hopefully my application can attest to that. Hoping we all can hear some good news today or sometime during their interview invite season!

Oh man, I am for sure in the same situation. I didn’t even realize the beginning of my secondary wasn’t recording for a portion of the audio response, so I think the main idea of one of my answers is messed up. Not too confident on the others as well haha. The mission statement focusing on empathy was something I could really relate to, so hopefully my application can attest to that. Hoping we all can hear some good news today or sometime during their interview invite season!

Sometimes, I took too long to answer the question so I would panic and attempt to answer it in the last 20 seconds. :sorry: They'll definitely have a laugh listening to some of my answers. LOL Interestingly enough, I felt more nervous during this secondary than during my interviews.

Sometimes, I took too long to answer the question so I would panic and attempt to answer it in the last 20 seconds. :sorry: They'll definitely have a laugh listening to some of my answers. LOL Interestingly enough, I felt more nervous during this secondary than during my interviews.
Oh for sure, I can 100% agree. Glad I’m not the only one who felt that way. I think it’s cause we didn’t know what to expect and the nerves kicked in. It would be funny if a lot of people found the interview relatively relaxing compared to the secondary hahaha

I feel you!! I legit said OMG twice

It was a lot harder for me to come up with good answers when I'm literally talking to a computer screen. Most people are more comfortable talking to other people. Towards the end of the time limit I think my ability to verbalize my answer started to break down. Oh well.

Reactions: 5 users
I guess I'm an unusual applicant in this batch insofar as both my written and verbal responses went well. I am just thankful the verbal responses weren't video recorded else the application reviewers would have seen me drool on myself at one point.

Reactions: 5 users
@SOM Admissions Just a general question in the pre-req courses. I never took genetics in college, and I currently am out of college and am a full-time employee. Can short online courses be acceptable to fill the requirement. I feel like I am short on time to sign up for the spring courses at any 4 year college or community college now and most of the seats have filled up for the night classes.

Hey there. I took the CSU online "Pre-Health Genetics" course (BC353). It was quite in depth and was very doable in the evenings/weekends. You could probably complete most of the reading/lecture/quizzes for each of the four units during a single weekend if you dedicated yourself. You can't take all the exams right away (they open up for a week at a time) but you can get all the course material in quickly. I learned a lot and ended up with an A+. Suffice to say I recommend.

BC 353 | Pre-Health Genetics - CSU Online

Nope not yet. Since it’s a holiday week, I’m guessing we’ll see something next week
If I'm not mistaken, I believe they posted / noted that the office would be closed until Jan 2 (Christmas break 12/22 - 1/2). I also thing they were hoping to have sent out some II's prior to break, but it appears as though that didn't happen. Keeping fingers crossed and managing anxieties until Jan 2.

Got an email today asking some info about my prereqs--I'll choose to take this as a sign of interest (we want to give you an II so we're checking your prereqs are in order before sending it), rather than the more likely reason (they probably send this to everyone with prereq confusion lol)
Has anyone else received any emails asking about prereqs?

Hmmm I think I've completed all the prereqs required by them, but I did not receive any email asking for more prereq info. Hopefully, this doesn't mean I'm out of II consideration already... :(

Hmmm I think I've completed all the prereqs required by them, but I did not receive any email asking for more prereq info. Hopefully, this doesn't mean I'm out of II consideration already... :(
Same, here’s hoping for the best though!

Same, here’s hoping for the best though!

I'm willing to bet they aren't going to inquire with every single applicant that is interview-worthy about their pre-reqs. If it obviously meets their requirement, they aren't going to bother you to provide more info on something obvious.

Don't take the absence of an email as as bad sign. Their team is going through this process together for the first time.

I'm willing to bet they aren't going to inquire with every single applicant that is interview-worthy about their pre-reqs. If it obviously meets their requirement, they aren't going to bother you to provide more info on something obvious.

Don't take the absence of an email as as bad sign. Their team is going through this process together for the first time.

True. I'd assume if an application was poor, they wouldn't bother to email and look into it. Silence = not worth the time or that your prereqs were already completed and they don't need to look into them. My email was just for clarification before they decided.

The questions automatically proceed sequentially and you can't go backwards at all, not even to review what you said. Once the timer ends on a question, it will auto-save and proceed to the next question. That is when you can take a break if needed before pressing begin. After pressing begin, you have 60 seconds to read the question and then it will start recording automatically.

How long can we take a break for?

@SOM Admissions In regards to the secondary application, when you ask how many credits were taken at community college- do you mean the # of classes or the # of credit hours? For example, I have taken 5 classes, so should I answer 5 credits or 15 credit hours? Thank you!

@SOM Admissions In regards to the secondary application, when you ask how many credits were taken at community college- do you mean the # of classes or the # of credit hours? For example, I have taken 5 classes, so should I answer 5 credits or 15 credit hours? Thank you!

Not the admissions but credits always will mean total credits. For example, 1 class can be 3 or 4 credits.

Were anyone elses’ prereqs changed/swapped for another course on the secondary application? I did not receive any sort of email beforehand.

Were anyone elses’ prereqs changed/swapped for another course on the secondary application? I did not receive any sort of email beforehand.
I had gotten one of humanities classes switched out for another class, which had a lower grade! :(

I called the Admissions Office and they said that they'll make adjustments to the pre-reqs if necessary.

Happy New Year to all! Hope everyone had a break from studies/work and replaced the time with friends/family.

Updates.

--Interview invites have been sent and will increase weekly, if not more frequently, now that we are back to the office. Applicants who do not receive an invite may remain under consideration for an undetermined amount of time through January. We will begin making the hard decisions to release applicants later in the month and during the remainder of the season.

--The deadline to submit supplemental applications is January 15 at 11:59p Central time; do not wait until the 15th to start the supplemental, as high volume can cause interruptions. There will be NO extensions granted unless there is a technical issue (not the same as a user issue). Please read directions and complete the supplemental in its' entirety.

Reactions: 14 users
Happy New Year to all! Hope everyone had a break from studies/work and replaced the time with friends/family.

Updates.

--Interview invites have been sent and will increase weekly, if not more frequently, now that we are back to the office. Applicants who do not receive an invite may remain under consideration for an undetermined amount of time through January. We will begin making the hard decisions to release applicants later in the month and during the remainder of the season.

--The deadline to submit supplemental applications is January 15 at 11:59p Central time; do not wait until the 15th to start the supplemental, as high volume can cause interruptions. There will be NO extensions granted unless there is a technical issue (not the same as a user issue). Please read directions and complete the supplemental in its' entirety.

Is there any chance you're willing to share the number of "Interview Invites" you have and will be sending out?
Thank you in advance.