2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I fit the metrics and I feel like I fit the mission, but dead silence on my end. Man, I must suck.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
On hold again!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Again? Are previous waitlisted interviewees evaulated again in the subsequent committee meetings?
Yup, we get evaluated with the other interviewees that interviewed the past week and so on. But we can also get rejected at any point in the season. We get updated every meeting, but I think the people on hold won't actually see movement until the end of the season

Again? Are previous waitlisted interviewees evaulated again in the subsequent committee meetings?

It’s not actual wait list, they described it as the “viable” list. Meaning could be accepted or rejected at any point and you get evaluated at each committee meeting moving forward.

Reactions: 2 users
On hold again as well! I’m speculating that they’re holding off and will accept more towards the end since they emphasize equal chance throughout the cycle, I’m trying to stay positive. Any acceptances today?

On hold again as well! I’m speculating that they’re holding off and will accept more towards the end since they emphasize equal chance throughout the cycle, I’m trying to stay positive. Any acceptances today?
They did say they’re being “very selective and conservative” early on so I would keep on keeping your head up!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all - we are just crossing the half-way mark for interview invitations - March and April remain very large months for our season.

Metrics of invited applicants to interview - 3.6 overall; 504. The process calls for a balanced applicant in academic, professional and personal readiness. Heavy emphasis on the personal and professional for an interview invite as informed by the ABRs, Written Essay, experiences, and other elements of the application process.

We may make an invitation to interview by phone to a "local" applicant when attempting to fill a recent vacancy - we hate to lose an interview spot because we can't recover them after a last-minute cancellation or no-show. Rarely do this, but that is why you have "heard" about a phone call. Email is the best method of our communication.

ALWAYS remain professional and remember to inform schools as far in advance as possible if you are not planning to attend. Emailing at midnight of your interview day is unacceptable and quite frankly, very disappointing and unprofessional. I share this message on behalf of every single medical school admissions dean who is trying to broaden the reach and interview pool.
When you say these our your metrics, do you mean that is the minimum for applicants to get an interview? Or that those are the averages of students who have received interviews?

i'm kinda liking the fast paced movement.

When you say these our your metrics, do you mean that is the minimum for applicants to get an interview? Or that those are the averages of students who have received interviews?
I think those are simply the average stats for those who have received an II as of now. The only specified minimum stats were those that were required for us to get a secondary.

I fit the metrics and I feel like I fit the mission, but dead silence on my end. Man, I must suck.

I can relate to this so much...we just have to stay as optimistic as we can, because they are still reviewing our apps and there are still around 6 interview days available.

Members don't see this ad :)
Silence since I was completed over two months ago. I’ll go ahead and take that as my final R for the cycle. Best of luck to y’all wherever you end up

Silence since I was completed over two months ago. I’ll go ahead and take that as my final R for the cycle. Best of luck to y’all wherever you end up
Except the admissions director just said they have given out about half of the interview invitations at this point. Being the first application year and with the timeline shifted later than a conventional timeline, there are still chances to interview here.

Reactions: 7 users
Has anymore who submitted their secondary on Jan received an II? I submitted mine on Jan 4, and I'm wondering if the waiting game needs to be played a little bit longer.

Also, best of luck to everyone who received an invitation.
Cheers.

Has anymore who submitted their secondary on Jan received an II? I submitted mine on Jan 4, and I'm wondering if the waiting game needs to be played a little bit longer.

Also, best of luck to everyone who received an invitation.
Cheers.
Submitted first week of December and haven’t had any luck yet. :( I also fit the average Interviewee profile that the admissions posted earlier...
It’s definitely still early in the interview cycle so fingers crossed we hear back soon!!

Reactions: 4 users
Submitted first week of December and haven’t had any luck yet. :( I also fit the average Interviewee profile that the admissions posted earlier...
It’s definitely still early in the interview cycle so fingers crossed we hear back soon!!
Same here, submitted around the first week of Dec and dead silence. Hoping for an II in this second half.

Has anyone sent in an update letter to this school? I'm not seeing an obvious spot on the application portal. It's a research job (already 2000+ hours of research logged) that I got after my AMCAS was submitted and that's a section of AMCAS you can't update but I feel like it's pertinent.

Has anyone sent in an update letter to this school? I'm not seeing an obvious spot on the application portal. It's a research job (already 2000+ hours of research logged) that I got after my AMCAS was submitted and that's a section of AMCAS you can't update but I feel like it's pertinent.
There was a post in this thread awhile back from the school stating they do not accept updates. I have a few exciting things I wish I could share with them too but I understand how time consuming update letters can be especially with this being their first year accepting applications.

There was a post in this thread awhile back stating they do not accept updates. I have a few exciting things I wish I could share with them too but I understand how time consuming update letters can be especially with this being their first year accepting applications.

Actually, during interview day they told us that you can send updates to them but the admissions committee probably won’t see it unless it’s a tie between you and someone else, then that update would be helpful! So it’s worth a try! Good luck

Actually, during interview day they told us that you can send updates to them but the admissions committee probably won’t see it unless it’s a tie between you and someone else, then that update would be helpful! So it’s worth a try! Good luck

The prior post from admissions said no updates after the secondary is considered (post #546) Did they tell you this was only for post-interview or also pre-II?

I was referring to post #428...after secondary submission, pre-II. It says no additional info considered unless requested.

I assume that they are referring to post-II updates. Most schools mention that during the interview day if you get waitlisted or need to update your file after your interview. I don’t think they’ll be too receptive towards pre-II updates, especially since they’ve got a lot of apps to sort through.

There was a post in this thread awhile back from the school stating they do not accept updates. I have a few exciting things I wish I could share with them too but I understand how time consuming update letters can be especially with this being their first year accepting applications.
You’ll have to just spend some time talking about this with enthusiasm if you are invited for an interview :cat:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Does anybody know if they are dropping the worst and best (or just worst) MMI scores to reduce bias? I've heard of schools doing that sometimes and was curious.

Does anybody know if they are dropping the worst and best (or just worst) MMI scores to reduce bias? I've heard of schools doing that sometimes and was curious.

We do not modify our report unless a conflict of interest is noted, which results in a voided score for that one station. Bias is reduced by a larger sample size - we have 10 cases.

Reactions: 8 users
While on the topic of MMI format.. hoping some people who have finished their II can answer some general questions I had about the MMI structure here. Are all of the stations scenarios based? How long do we have to respond? Do the prompt arbitrators answer questions/interact with you?

Sorry if these have been asked already! If so, feel free to point me to the post. Also if these are too specific feel free to also ignore me haha. I just wanted to get kind of an idea of how the MMI is set up here.

While on the topic of MMI format.. hoping some people who have finished their II can answer some general questions I had about the MMI structure here. Are all of the stations scenarios based? How long do we have to respond? Do the prompt arbitrators answer questions/interact with you?

Sorry if these have been asked already! If so, feel free to point me to the post. Also if these are too specific feel free to also ignore me haha. I just wanted to get kind of an idea of how the MMI is set up here.

While we aren’t allowed to disclose anything about the MMIs, they do go over everything and answer questions you may have before it starts! Just have fun and you’ll be good!:)

While we aren’t allowed to disclose anything about the MMIs, they do go over everything and answer questions you may have before it starts! Just have fun and you’ll be good!:)

Ah okay I see, no problem. Thanks for the response!

Are all of the stations scenarios based?​

MMI stations may be presented as a traditional question (tell me about you), a situation or scenario and/or a role-play (with a Standardized Patient).

How long do we have to respond?

2-minute preparation and 7-minute conversation.

Do the prompt arbitrators answer questions/interact with you?

ANY MMI by design should be a conversation, even those that involve a role-play. MMIs are not a one-way interaction from either you or the interviewer (or Rater). Our Raters are trained to be conversational, welcoming and engaging.

Reactions: 9 users
For the MMI, will we be allowed to jot down notes/talking points doing the 2 minute preparation time and refer to them during the 7-minute conversation?

For the MMI, will we be allowed to jot down notes/talking points doing the 2 minute preparation time and refer to them during the 7-minute conversation?

No, you'll actually leave behind your personal items in our locked room before starting the MMI.

@SOMAdmissions Can a prerequisite be satisfied if a class was taken for credit P/F or must there be a letter grade associated with it?

P/F credits for prerequisite coursework is reviewed on a case-by-case basis. You can send our office an email with the details of this decision and the assessment equation from your university that determines a Pass grade. We may also request information from your professor regarding performance.

Hoping for some news tomorrow. Nothing says love like an interview invite!

Reactions: 5 users
An interview invitation from TCU-UNTHSC is the only valentine I want this year... but I will also gladly accept chocolates and wine while I wait ;)

To be honest, regardless of whether I get to interview here or not (and I suspect the latter is more likely lol)--I really appreciate SOM admissions being so helpful and kind in this thread, and even throwing in some inspirational messages here and there. I really hope that they continue doing this next year, I think CUSM did something similar last year but stopped this year ):

But even if not it's been great to have someone sympathetic and willing to answer questions for at least this year!

Honestly, the staff is a HUGE part of why this medical school is going to be so great!! The school preaches empathy and compassion and the staff doesn’t lack it one bit. I have yet to meet someone otherwise! I hope you get an interview so you can see it for yourself! Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
TCU showing some true love on Valentine's day with that early morning interview invite! Complete 12/19 for those wondering.

Reactions: 10 users
Just got an II. I’ll check the available dates when I get out of lab.

Complete date: 12/4 but I had prereq questions.

Reactions: 12 users
II invite just now! So happy with this lovely Valentine's Day gift :)

+1, extremely blessed to have receive an interview invitation from TCU/UNT. Now about the song I wrote a couple days back....second verse coming soon after class this evening hehehe

3 dates in March was all that showed.

II invite just now! So happy with this lovely Valentine's Day gift :)

Congrats! When were you complete? I recall you posting that you submitted towards the end, perhaps they are re-reviewing apps now?

Wow congrats all you guys! I’m glad that everyone received some II’s! I hope that there might be one left for me haha.

Congrats! When were you complete? I recall you posting that you submitted towards the end, perhaps they are re-reviewing apps now?

Yes, I was complete on the later side. I'd be happy to PM you of the exact date and time, but I think you have to change your settings to receive the PM!

Still in silence over here unfortunately, complete 12/1. Guess I wont be getting any Valentine's day love =(

Congratulations to everyone that got a II today!!! Hope you kill those interviews =)

Interview invite this morning, but I withdrew it. I hope you all get some love today! :) I was complete on Dec. 9th I believe.

Reactions: 6 users