2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for your response! Do you also happen to know why only one date for March is available rn (I can't seem to find April interview dates) ? Does the school usually offer one interview date?

No they are making sure that each interview day has a fair shot at getting an acceptance so the seats won’t be full until they have interviewed everybody! Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

II just now! :) I also only have one date on March 25th to choose from. I'm OOS hopefully they'll open up some additional dates in April so I can have a little more time to plan

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response! Do you also happen to know why only one date for March is available rn (I can't seem to find April interview dates) ? Does the school usually offer one interview date?
I would guess they had a late cancellation from someone for an interview and would really like to use all their interview slots. That's why they put that March date out there first.

Reactions: 1 user
I wish they would just send out the pre-II rejections. No hope left anymore

Reactions: 3 users
Friday is right around the corner, this makes me so anxious..

I wish they would just send out the pre-II rejections. No hope left anymore
They said initially that they would be prompt about rejections/releasing applicants, but I guess it's gonna happen after the last interview date. The optimism is rapidly fading away these days...

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

This thread has been reported by several users due to the comments about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind the OP and all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

Members who have serious concerns about their career and would like to post details more anonymously may do so in the Confidential Consult forum.

Reactions: 10 users
Hi all,

This thread has been reported by several users due to the comments about self-harm. SDN takes such statements seriously and we would like to remind the OP and all posters that SDN should not serve as a place to obtain counseling or other advice regarding significant psychological issues. Anyone who is contemplating harming themselves should immediately seek professional counseling advice, not rely on SDN or other non-professional resources.

Members who have serious concerns about their career and would like to post details more anonymously may do so in the Confidential Consult forum.

Thank you.

Challenge accepted:

"I hear the Interview a comin'
Its rollin' round the bend
And I aint seen that Rejection email
Since, my app sent in
I'm stuck in Interview Season
And time keeps draggin' on
But those Interviews keep a-rollin'
Adcom, please give me one"

Verse 2: coming soon (after the interview invitation ;) )

And what wouldn't go better with this song than a album solo cover

View attachment 249398

As promised, the highly-anticipated second verse to "Interview Season". Folsom Prison is a tough to work with, like seriously whats something good that rhymes with Reno?? but let's see what I can do here folks. And hey, I know its late, but when does a band actually start on time at a concert, eh?

Since, my app sent in

"When I was at the 'brary,
I got the email "Son,
Congrats here's your interview,
Come over and have some fun"
And I planned my visit pronto
Noooottt that hard to decide
When I hear the adcom likes me
I lift my head with pride"

Coming soon: verse 3. Post-interview!

In case anyone noticed, I thought it was only fitting to enter the Fort Worth Union Pacific railyard with some lovely UP trains, so we switched engines, haha. And yes, we are going towards Fort Worth, not away from it, in that image.
View attachment 250981

Ladies and Gents, I never make a promise that I cannot keep; Therefore, here comes yet our third installation into the highly anticipated "Interview Season" soundtrack (Yes, yes, I know, everyone you can hold your applause). Before I get started, I'd like to give a big shout out to all the awesome interviewers that I met yesterday, y'all were super great and I wish the best for all of you! Also, a enormous shout out to @SOM Admissions. I can speak for all interviewers yesterday that we appreciate the tremendous job you did for us. In addition to my personal thanks at the end of the day, I hope I do not disappoint with this latest verse!

Now, on with what everyone is clearly waiting for, huh (again you can hold your applause). Now, I was just about to submit "epic guitar solo," ha, but just can't let everyone down. So this is the best I could come up with! Hope you like it!

Since, my app sent in

“When I was at the 'brary,
I got the email "Son,
I lift my head with pride”

Iconic guitar solo

"I bet the adcom’s thinkin’
In their fancy meeting hall
They’re probably drinking coffee
And evaluatin’ us all
Well I know my fate, its comin’
I know I’m not home free
But their decisions keep a-movin’
Adcom, please accept me"

The fourth and final verse: coming in 10ish days. No matter what the final decision is, whether an A, H, or R, one will be composed. Yes, I would like an A, but at the same time, to me, an H or R means my final destination is better somewhere else in some other way, and I definitely encourage everyone to look at their situation from that POV. Good luck to everyone in 10 days.

Obiwan: "Anakin, its impossible to dock a UP train at the IREB"
Anakin: "You underestimate my power"
Interview Szn 3.png

Reactions: 18 users

As promised, the highly-anticipated second verse to "Interview Season". Folsom Prison is a tough to work with, like seriously whats something good that rhymes with Reno?? but let's see what I can do here folks. And hey, I know its late, but when does a band actually start on time at a concert, eh?

Since, my app sent in

I got the email "Son,

In case anyone noticed, I thought it was only fitting to enter the Fort Worth Union Pacific railyard with some lovely UP trains, so we switched engines, haha. And yes, we are going towards Fort Worth, not away from it, in that image.
View attachment 250981

Ladies and Gents, I never make a promise that I cannot keep; Therefore, here comes yet our third installation into the highly anticipated "Interview Season" soundtrack (Yes, yes, I know, everyone you can hold your applause). Before I get started, I'd like to give a big shout out to all the awesome interviewers that I met yesterday, y'all were super great and I wish the best for all of you! Also, a enormous shout out to @SOM Admissions. I can speak for all interviewers yesterday that we appreciate the tremendous job you did for us. In addition to my personal thanks at the end of the day, I hope I do not disappoint with this latest verse!

Now, on with what everyone is clearly waiting for, huh (again you can hold your applause). Now, I was just about to submit "epic guitar solo," ha, but just can't let everyone down. So this is the best I could come up with! Hope you like it!

Since, my app sent in

I got the email "Son,

Iconic guitar solo

And evaluatin’ us all
I know I’m not home free
Adcom, please accept me"

The fourth and final verse: coming in 10ish days. No matter what the final decision is, whether an A, H, or R, one will be composed. Yes, I would like an A, but at the same time, to me, an H or R means my final destination is better somewhere else in some other way, and I definitely encourage everyone to look at their situation from that POV. Good luck to everyone in 10 days.

View attachment 253641
But did you sing during your interview day? :bow:

Members don't see this ad :)
But did you sing during your interview day? :bow:

You know, as a matter of fact...its how I responded to all my MMI's actually. Gotta make myself stand out, right? Lolol but no, I didn't want to distract my fellow interviewers with my beautiful singing voice

Since, my app sent in

I got the email "Son,

View attachment 250981

Since, my app sent in

I got the email "Son,

Iconic guitar solo

And evaluatin’ us all
I know I’m not home free
Adcom, please accept me"

View attachment 253641

Well done!! It was a pleasure meeting you.

How did you guys get around for your interviews? Uber, rent a car, public trans?

II on Monday. LM 66. Submitted early December.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to those who recently received interview invites!

Praying I’m on their interview “waitlist”. I would be elated to have the chance to interview here.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats to those who recently received interview invites!

Praying I’m on their interview “waitlist”. I would be elated to have the chance to interview here.
Same my friend. I’m praying and being as hopeful as I can to get that invite.

How fast is everyone hearing back post interview?

How fast is everyone hearing back post interview?

According to the school, interviewees should hear back some sort of news post-interview in a little less than two weeks after their I.

Almost that time of the week guys! Phone’s fully charged, I practiced my ninja phone-answering move, and the sound is all the way up. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back today!

Received hold email a minute ago. #LeWaitContinues

Reactions: 5 users
Got the phone call a little over an hour ago! Very grateful and excited. I hope the rest of you hear good news soon as well! See you guys for the second look weekend!

Reactions: 5 users
3rd hold. My special ninja phone answering move will have to wait to (hopefully) be used in the future

Do y'all think it's a fair assumption that the last batch of II's have been sent out?

Do y'all think it's a fair assumption that the last batch of II's have been sent out?
I believe I got my II around 3 weeks before my interview date (I picked the earliest available), so there's a decent chance they are still going out! Just my guess though

Reactions: 4 users
Another Friday is approaching! :D

Prayers to everyone still huddled in the corner, refreshing their email to see if they'll be blessed by an interview invite / acceptance or that "thanks but not thanks". I've resolved to the reality of re-applying in a few weeks.

Reactions: 8 users
This will be my first opportunity to hear back. I know chances are slim, so I’m trying to be open minded! Feeling excited and antsy at the same time

Reactions: 8 users
Not looking for anything specific. But can anyone say if the MMI was acting/interactive vs hypothetical/conversationally based or a mix?
In my experience there seems to be two very different kinds of MMI out there. Really hoping for the latter.
I would like to know this as well.

I would like to know this as well.

All future interviewees, be aware of the fact that all applicants that already interviewed signed a confidentiality agreement regarding all aspects of their MMI format. Just be able to think on your feet and articulate answers in a non-scripted manner. This school has given as much information as they want to divulge about their MMIs on their website and portal.

All future interviewees, be aware of the fact that all applicants that already interviewed signed a confidentiality agreement regarding all aspects of their MMI format. Just be able to think on your feet and articulate answers in a non-scripted manner. This school has given as much information as they want to divulge about their MMIs on their website and portal.
Thank you for your reply. My confusion was regarding the style of MMIs as I've never done had this kind of an interview. Fortunately, I found my FAQs answered by the SOM on page 17.

If anyone's interested, here is SOM's reply:

Are all of the stations scenarios based?

MMI stations may be presented as a traditional question (tell me about you), a situation or scenario and/or a role-play (with a Standardized Patient).

How long do we have to respond?

2-minute preparation and 7-minute conversation.

Do the prompt arbitrators answer questions/interact with you?

ANY MMI by design should be a conversation, even those that involve a role-play. MMIs are not a one-way interaction from either you or the interviewer (or Rater). Our Raters are trained to be conversational, welcoming and engaging.

Anxiously waiting to hear results today. I absolutely loved this school and their approach to medicine! It's one of the most (if not the most) innovative medical school programs I've seen! My interview day was also very welcoming and fun! I probably shouldn't have stressed out about it as much :rolleyes:

No matter what the outcome today, I want to thank @SOM Admissions and the entire TCU/UNTHSC team for creating such a supportive and vibrant community and program! We really need this sort of compassionate and empathetic learning in today's changing medical world, and I especially realized how crucial this is during the compassionate practice portion of the interview (which was my favorite part of the day btw - future interviewees will likely enjoy this too) Excited to see how this school flourishes and all the amazing things that will be achieved in the future! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 17 users