2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@SOM Admissions Will your team be providing an academic profile for the class soon so that those of us considering re-applying to your school can better make that decision, as well as number of applications you received (both primary and secondary)? And will that be on here or just reported to AAMC and accessible via MSAR?

Thanks.

I'm sure we can post here, too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I forgot to ask during interview day, but did anyone question whether or not laptops or a tablet would be provided with tuition?

I forgot to ask during interview day, but did anyone question whether or not laptops or a tablet would be provided with tuition?

The School of Medicine will provide hardware/software requirements for personal purchase of a machine - the cost of a machine is included in the "cost of attendance - books and supplies" for MS1 year-only. But it is on you to purchase (we do not provide).

Members don't see this ad :)
So as I understand it, we should get an update today instead of tomorrow, correct?

Kidding... kidding... kinda. :po_O

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry to hear that! It's been a long journey thus far, best of luck in the future.

Thanks! I got my first acceptance earlier in the week at a school I'm starting to love, so it's no big deal anyway. Whoever goes here will have a great education.

Apparently Fort Worth is Cowboys territory too, so.......

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Same here!! Not mad about it! Happy to make it this far

Alternate list as well! Soul crushed. I was really praying for the A today but it could be worse! Trying to stay positive!

I wonder how large the waitlist is...

I wonder how large the waitlist is...
I can only assume it is very large. Given it's a first year program, the price, and the fact that many acceptances we're likely OOS students with other acceptances, I'm sure they are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.

I can only assume it is very large. Given it's a first year program, the price, and the fact that many acceptances we're likely OOS students with other acceptances, I'm sure they are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best.
And also many accepted Texans with cheaper tuition as well.... praying for that A though, I fell in love with fort worth and this program

Same! As glad as I am to still be in consideration, this being the 12th week of waiting only to get more waiting is a little hard. I love this program so much, but who knows what the movement on the list will be.

Reactions: 3 users
Fingers crossed for lots of waitlist movement because I’m so ready to withdraw from my other acceptances.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask if you guys could give me your reasons for wanting to go to TCU, regardless of whether you are weighing other acceptances or not. Feel free to ignore if it is too personal, I just wanted to see what people's thoughts as I make my final decision. Thank you!

Question: if we are on the alternate list, are we allowed to apply this upcoming cycle (while being on the alternate list)? (May 1 for TMDSAS and June 1 for AMCAS)

Hey everyone, I just wanted to ask if you guys could give me your reasons for wanting to go to TCU, regardless of whether you are weighing other acceptances or not. Feel free to ignore if it is too personal, I just wanted to see what people's thoughts as I make my final decision. Thank you!

Also wondering the same!

Family for me, I could see myself living in Texas for decades to come.

Question: if we are on the alternate list, are we allowed to apply this upcoming cycle (while being on the alternate list)? (May 1 for TMDSAS and June 1 for AMCAS)

It’s absolutely allowed and highly recommended that you have your next cycle prepared with as much energy as possible. For anyone reapplying, give your ENTIRE application a fresh look, seek updated letters, revise your essay — do not submit the same application as you did this year and expect different outcomes.

For those accepted, do you mind sharing your MCAT score (you can PM also)? I scored a 513.

I know that some medical schools give rejected/waitlisted applicants feedback on their application if they have an unsuccessful cycle and need to reapply. I'm wondering, is TCU/UNTHSC SOM receptive to giving such feedback? Additionally, I know that interviewees were discouraged from sending update letters, but I'm wondering whether waitlisted applicants can send in updates/letters of interest/intent? @SOM Admissions

I know that some medical schools give rejected/waitlisted applicants feedback on their application if they have an unsuccessful cycle and need to reapply. I'm wondering, is TCU/UNTHSC SOM receptive to giving such feedback? Additionally, I know that interviewees were discouraged from sending update letters, but I'm wondering whether waitlisted applicants can send in updates/letters of interest/intent? @SOM Admissions
I would like to know the latter question as well.

They just sent a confirmation email to me about holding spot on alternate list.

They just sent a confirmation email to me about holding spot on alternate list.

I got it as well! Did you say thank you? I don’t know if I should reply

I got it as well! Did you say thank you? I don’t know if I should reply

I didn’t, since they don’t want statements of intent and haven’t requested any additional information from me.

Reactions: 1 users
With a heavy heart, I withdrew my acceptance today. Hope it goes to one of you beautiful people.

Reactions: 9 users
@SOM Admissions Will wait-listed applicants who are eventually accepted have the opportunity to attend an accepted students day before making the decision to attend? I would have liked to tour the school and maybe attend more info sessions at the interview day, and I feel like I will be kind of in the dark if I am eventually given the opportunity to make the decision to attend or not.

@SOM Admissions Will wait-listed applicants who are eventually accepted have the opportunity to attend an accepted students day before making the decision to attend? I would have liked to tour the school and maybe attend more info sessions at the interview day, and I feel like I will be kind of in the dark if I am eventually given the opportunity to make the decision to attend or not.

Great question and we schedule a revisit by request. We do not duplicate the same program that was offered during Second Look Weekend (last week), but are sure to provide the pertinent details that impact decision-making.

@SOM Admissions if you do not mind me asking, since the wait list is unranked, how do you plan to pull people off of it? Will there weekly/biweekly committee meetings to reassess the wait-list applicants?

@SOM Admissions Will TCU/UNTHSC follow the TMDSAS rule "After 5:00 pm CT on May 15, 2019, no medical school in Texas may offer a position to an applicant already accepted by another medical school in Texas.  This is the result of an agreement among the six UT System Medical Schools, Baylor College of Medicine, Texas A&M HSC College of Medicine, Texas Tech University HSC School of Medicine, Texas Tech University HSC Paul L. Foster School of Medicine at El Paso and UNT-Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine."?

Per AAMC protocols, schools are advised to not force students to choose a final school until (at least) 21-days ahead of that schools' start date. We are using June 1 as our deadline.

We follow the AAMC AMCAS protocols: if a student has made the "commitment to enroll" on the Choose Your Medical School tool, this means they should have removed their position from other schools' waitlists; therefore, they will no longer be in our alternate pool. If you do not remove yourself from the pool and we see that you have indicated a "commit to enroll" to any school (Texas or others), we will remove you from our waitlist.

To hold an offer and remain on a waitlist (and therefore remain eligible for another offer), you should mark "plan to enroll."

Last edited: