2018-2019 TCU and UNTHSC School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You can request a review of your error by sending a statement to our office. It’s important that everyone take the time to read the instructions and practice several times to avoid issues.

Will the admissions office be timing receipt of secondary applications? I received a secondary, but have back-to-back final exams and papers until the 12th. I'd like to spend quality time with this secondary and ensure I submit my best work instead of rushing it during finals week. I know the email says submit asap, but would submitting it after 2 weeks affect admissions decisions in any way?

Will the admissions office be timing receipt of secondary applications? I received a secondary, but have back-to-back final exams and papers until the 12th. I'd like to spend quality time with this secondary and ensure I submit my best work instead of rushing it during finals week. I know the email says submit asap, but would submitting it after 2 weeks affect admissions decisions in any way?

Doesn’t affect decisions. Better to take your time than to rush. Good luck with finals!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
An applicant must submit at least three letters of recommendation, of which a committee letter will be considered one. The remaining letters are encouraged from those who can attest to professional and personal readiness for medicine. Letters from science faculty are not required. Letters must be received in order to advance in the review process.

If our school has submitted a committee packet, which includes multiple letters, will this suffice? On my secondary it says that I only have submitted a committee letter, although I believe it should say committee packet. Please let me know!

Also, on the secondary audio response portion, one of my responses was stuck saving at 50%. After a period of time I finally refreshed the page and it shows 'completed' next to the audio task. Can I confirm if the recording saved?

If our school has submitted a committee packet, which includes multiple letters, will this suffice? On my secondary it says that I only have submitted a committee letter, although I believe it should say committee packet. Please let me know!

Also, on the secondary audio response portion, one of my responses was stuck saving at 50%. After a period of time I finally refreshed the page and it shows 'completed' next to the audio task. Can I confirm if the recording saved?

Letters received as a "packet" or a "committee" are reviewed manually to ensure the three letter requirement is met. Once reviewed, we will mark these complete.

Regarding the audio question, please contact our office by email to [email protected].

Two quick questions:
(1) Does a graduate level course in Biostatistics satisfy the Statistics requirement?
(2) Would graduate courses in Epidemiology, Health Administration or Health Behavior satisfy the Social/Behavioral Science requirement?

Two quick questions:
(1) Does a graduate level course in Biostatistics satisfy the Statistics requirement?
(2) Would graduate courses in Epidemiology, Health Administration or Health Behavior satisfy the Social/Behavioral Science requirement?

Both sound appropriate to fulfill the expectations of the prerequisite courses for admission.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received this morning! I submitted the primary a week after it opened.

Secondary application received Friday. I submitted my AMCAS to them 2 days after they opened on AMCAS. Looks like they've worked out their kinks and secondary invitations will begin to ramp up for those who meet the cutoff.

Cheer to everyone in their submissions!

I also have same issues with audio recording. Hopefully it allows me to record it again.

Any issue related to the audio responses need to be brought to our attention by email - please be as descriptive as possible and include screen shots (if you have them) to help identify the source.

As a reminder to all - we strongly encourage you to use the "test" question several times to ensure the connection is strong, that your microphone is performing properly and to understand how the "end audio" feature is to be used. The instructions also include very important browser information and failure to follow these instructions will absolutely result in technical issues.

is anyone else having issues with the payment system for the secondary app?

is anyone else having issues with the payment system for the secondary app?
Did you try clicking on a different section of the app then going back to the payment tab? That worked for me. It usually takes a few seconds.

How many written essays were there? I typed out the first one and then it redirected me back to my application and it says "completed"?? Feeling nervous something went wrong because it said 45 minutes for the essays...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How many written essays were there? I typed out the first one and then it redirected me back to my application and it says "completed"?? Feeling nervous something went wrong because it said 45 minutes for the essays...

There is one timed written essay and it is not 45-minutes. Rather, the 45-minute references the estimated time to complete all of the timed components (audio and written).

If you were typing and the time expired, whatever was written was auto-saved.

Yes, it needs to be statistics - Math is the overall header, but statistics is the required course.

I have also made the same mistake and put a general Math course on the secondary (which has already been submitted) to fill the Math requirement slot. Since I have taken and passed Statistics already, what do you recommend doing to make sure the committee knows we meet this requirement?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Feel like I was stuttering hardcore during the audio part (nerves) but finally completed the secondary and looking forward to hearing back! Good luck to everyone and happy holidays!

I have also made the same mistake and put a general Math course on the secondary (which has already been submitted) to fill the Math requirement slot. Since I have taken and passed Statistics already, what do you recommend doing to make sure the committee knows we meet this requirement?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The review process includes a pre req verification and if any course is incorrectly listed, we will make the switch (as in your case) or contact the student that the course remains incomplete (if a suitable course is not listed in AMCAS).

Hi @SOM Admissions,

I have completed and submitted the secondary application, but it was just brought to my attention that on the audio questions, you must hit "end audio" first or your response is not saved. If I talked until the time ran out, does my response autosave? I am assuming so, since my portal says "completed" and let me submit my application, but I wanted to double check.

There is one timed written essay and it is not 45-minutes. Rather, the 45-minute references the estimated time to complete all of the timed components (audio and written).

If you were typing and the time expired, whatever was written was auto-saved.
Hey. Do you happen to know how many interview invitations you plan to extend? Thanks!

Hi @SOM Admissions,

I have completed and submitted the secondary application, but it was just brought to my attention that on the audio questions, you must hit "end audio" first or your response is not saved. If I talked until the time ran out, does my response autosave? I am assuming so, since my portal says "completed" and let me submit my application, but I wanted to double check.

The "end audio" is only a feature to use if you do not want to use the entire 3-minutes. The recordings are auto-saved otherwise.

Hey. Do you happen to know how many interview invitations you plan to extend? Thanks!

Medical schools tend to interview at least 4 times the entering class size - of course this varies, but should give you an idea.

Completed the secondary!

My advice, just go for it! The timed aspect definitely increases the nerves but if you have made it this far, you got this! Best of luck to everyone :)

Has anyone received an interview invitation?
Doubtful. A previous poster said they'd likely begin sending invitations mid-December, and even that bunch will be brief considering the upcoming holiday season.

Hi @SOM Admissions,

Thanks for answering our questions. Is there any way to send updates about meaningful experiences that I have done after my primary was submitted and I was unable to address in the secondary?

Hi @SOM Admissions,

Thanks for answering our questions. Is there any way to send updates about meaningful experiences that I have done after my primary was submitted and I was unable to address in the secondary?

Our committee will only review information captured on the primary, secondary and interview day; no additional information will be considered unless requested.

@SOM Admissions

Hi, will I be needing webcam access to complete the audio/written portion of the secondary? Or will only a microphone connected to my computer be enough? Thank you for your continued help and support!

Are there seats saved specifically for TCU grads...? Concerning if so. since there are only 60 available to begin with.

@SOM Admissions

Hi, will I be needing webcam access to complete the audio/written portion of the secondary? Or will only a microphone connected to my computer be enough? Thank you for your continued help and support!

Your computer microphone is sufficient - you’ll have an opportunity to ensure your microphone is testing properly before you begin the official recordings.

Are there seats saved specifically for TCU grads...? Concerning if so. since there are only 60 available to begin with.

No preference is given for any institution or state; our application pool is national and broad-based.

Reactions: 2 users
Secondary submitted and complete! Want to give a huge shout out to the whole admissions team who have been super responsive and helpful, thank you guys!!

I submitted the request to allow me to record my response. I hope you allow me to record it and submit my application.

Please follow up with a statement explaining the mistake -asking for a reset when it’s a user error requires a review by me. I haven’t received a statement from anyone to-date.

If I recall correctly, the secondary asked about how many credits were earned, if any, at a community college. As an economically disadvantaged student who has taken a decent amount of my basics at such an institution, I am wondering if having done so will be frowned upon by the admissions committee?

If I recall correctly, the secondary asked about how many credits were earned, if any, at a community college. As an economically disadvantaged student who has taken a decent amount of my basics at such an institution, I am wondering if having done so will be frowned upon by the admissions committee?

We ask this because we believe socioeconomic limitations is an important component to grit and resilience - definitely not a negative - and again, we are seeking a class of diverse learners.

An emergency fire drill unfortunately went off during my audio responses, which threw me off a bit, but I just submitted my application and hopefully my responses meet what they are looking for.

Everything I have seen from this school so far has embodied excellence, thank you very much to @SOM Admissions for being so helpful to all of us throughout this process! Greatly looking forward to hearing back, as a DFW native I’m really excited about the school’s mission.

An emergency fire drill unfortunately went off during my audio responses, which threw me off a bit, but I just submitted my application and hopefully my responses meet what they are looking for.

Everything I have seen from this school so far has embodied excellence, thank you very much to @SOM Admissions for being so helpful to all of us throughout this process! Greatly looking forward to hearing back, as a DFW native I’m really excited about the school’s mission.

Wait, you stayed inside to complete our secondary?! Dedication! (Teasing, drills are important).

First, I am so excited to be applying here. I have been drawn to this school since reading the mission statement.

@SOM Admissions Question about the secondary, I realize the audio replies and essay are timed, but is it possible to do the responses in any order. For instance if I wanted to do the written response first and then the audio ones. I have been hesitant to explore the secondary any because I don't want to accidentally start a timed section and not submit my best work. Also will the essay be looks at similar to a CASPer response, as to grammar and spelling?

First, I am so excited to be applying here. I have been drawn to this school since reading the mission statement.

@SOM Admissions Question about the secondary, I realize the audio replies and essay are timed, but is it possible to do the responses in any order. For instance if I wanted to do the written response first and then the audio ones. I have been hesitant to explore the secondary any because I don't want to accidentally start a timed section and not submit my best work. Also will the essay be looks at similar to a CASPer response, as to grammar and spelling?

Yes, you can complete the written essay before the audios - the written essay is not scored on grammar/spelling/conventions. However, there is an expectation of a cohesive response to the question.

Wait, you stayed inside to complete our secondary?! Dedication! (Teasing, drills are important).
I was lucky they were just testing the emergency system and didn't ask us to evacuate the building. It would have made it much more challenging to complete my responses if they had. :laugh: (Kidding, safety first, of course!)

Hoping for some IIs to start rolling out this week!

@SOM Admissions Just a general question in the pre-req courses. I never took genetics in college, and I currently am out of college and am a full-time employee. Can short online courses be acceptable to fill the requirement. I feel like I am short on time to sign up for the spring courses at any 4 year college or community college now and most of the seats have filled up for the night classes.

Also if I do not have all the pre-req courses, can I still be granted an interview invite? I'm assuming yes, but just asking to be sure.

@SOM Admissions Just a general question in the pre-req courses. I never took genetics in college, and I currently am out of college and am a full-time employee. Can short online courses be acceptable to fill the requirement. I feel like I am short on time to sign up for the spring courses at any 4 year college or community college now and most of the seats have filled up for the night classes.

Also if I do not have all the pre-req courses, can I still be granted an interview invite? I'm assuming yes, but just asking to be sure.

Any applicant with outstanding coursework will be reviewed/interviewed/offered admission, conditional upon meeting any outstanding requirement.

You can take the course however offered as long as the course is earned from an accredited institution and a grade is posted by June.