Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 The Commonwealth Medical College

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. TTP 1776

The downside is they will not let you pursue a fellowship

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. isAdoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Right there with ya...

cafedisco likes this.
  3. KaioKaizen

KaioKaizen Spaghet Boi

Pre-Medical
    Just read through all the comments about Geisinger being on “probation”

If this is how the prospective students act to get ahead, it surely makes me not want to go here. But damn well you know I'm gonna get an acceptance just to spite those willing to put others down for their own benefits

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Incursio, Msimas and Princess Pre-Med like this.
  4. soontobedoc123

really thought today was the day.... anybody hear anything post II?

notfanning and Princess Pre-Med like this.
  5. KaioKaizen

KaioKaizen Spaghet Boi

Pre-Medical
    I'm in this upcoming wave, 11/12 interview. Nothing yet :(

6. Princess Pre-Med

7. TTP 1776

11/06, really thought today would be the day :(

8. notfanning

Pre-Medical
    Really? I wasn’t aware of this, and it makes the deal a whole lot less appealing.......

9. HockeyGuy2772

Pre-Medical
    Do they limit who they offer that scholarship to? Such as offering it to students entering into Primary care residencies or could anyone be eligible?

10. notfanning

Pre-Medical
    I believe I asked this question in the interview and my interviewer said it was not limited by specialty, but I’m not 100% positive.

HockeyGuy2772 likes this.
  11. Jmh509

I read that it is possible to have do a fellowship and have the service commitment deferred as long as you get it approved by Geisinger. So from what I gathered it's not guaranteed but not impossible either

notfanning likes this.
  12. TTP 1776

Correct! No limit in specialty, just that you must work in Geisinger Health system (includes Atlántico city), however, you can’t do a fellowship.

I wonder if they’ll let you do fellowship within Geisinger Health though. I didn’t get to ask that question on interview day

Jmh509 likes this.
  13. soontobedoc123

has anyone called about not receiving post II decisions yet?

14. FutureMD96

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    For those who were accepted already, did they include scholarship information with the acceptance package or shortly after receiving the acceptance?

15. Princess Pre-Med

idk what to expect about post-II anymore..send help

notfanning, TTP 1776, edb63 and 3 others like this.
  16. Jmh509

Haven't gotten it yet, I think they start sending out the financial aid packages in March

17. cuban123

Has anyone that has been deferred heard back yet or is the deferral just a silent rejection?

18. Msimas

Medical Student (Accepted)
    I was accepted post deferral

19. cuban123

How long after your deferment were you accepted?

20. Princess Pre-Med

Was there a specific time in the day that deferrals/acceptances were sent out?

21. edb63

Pre-Medical
    when did you get deferred?

22. edb63

Pre-Medical
    i've seen in older posts from last year that some people got acceptances around 4pm

23. soontobedoc123

I also saw 2:30

edb63 likes this.
  24. Msimas

A month

25. TTP 1776

11/06, still waiting. This is a brutal wait lol every email notification makes my heart race.

26. Princess Pre-Med

Im just confused

27. TTP 1776

I really thought they’d get back to me by now so that I could use Geisinger to triage some other interview invites at places that I’m not that interested in anymore after going through this cycle, so that II spots can open up for others.

I was really impressed with Geisinger and I ended up loving the school (maybe, not the area so much) but I think it’s a great school and a perfect fit for who I am a student and person, so that’s what’s making this wait. Such. A. Struggle.

Lol if I ever have to answer another secondary about a “challenge/struggle” this wait is up there

soontobedoc123 likes this.
  28. soontobedoc123

I am thinking it will be released monday! past two decision days have been second monday of the month.. also could just be over analyzing lol

notfanning and TTP 1776 like this.
  29. TTP 1776

Alright gonna check out and just wait this out, boys and girls.

I’ll leave y’all with a dank meme while we wait

Attached Files:

KaioKaizen and soontobedoc123 like this.
  30. KaioKaizen

KaioKaizen Spaghet Boi

Pre-Medical
    Damn I feel like we're both in the same boat with a lot of our schools lmao

Go birds

31. TTP 1776

Hail BDN

32. themightyquinn

Pre-Medical
    I think it's tough to know whether it was an intentional disinformation campaign, or simply a misunderstanding. We're all prospective students, it doesn't mean they'll matriculate at Geisinger and I wouldn't allow a few gunners who didn't or are worried about making the cut color your view of the program. The students all seemed very nice, collegial and happy. Generally the gunners will get in line with the atmosphere of the overall program or find themselves ostracized -- I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as the Geisinger health program being discussed bere, it's not a scholarship -- it's a loan program in exchange for a service commitment they will forgive those loans on a 1:1 ratio of year worked for year of tuition. If you choose not to work for Geisinger when the time comes then it will convert to a regular loan which you then pay back to them. I believe I read or was told (and it's also the way I understand Geisinger health works in general*) that your placement is at their discretion. i.e. you go where they need you/your specialty the most, which may be a rural satellite clinic. Geisinger also has (what I consider) a pretty aggressive non-compete 30 miles from any Geisinger clinic you worked at for 2 years. A friend is currently being courted by Geisinger and because she'd be split her time between two facilities and the way those radii overlap (or don't) she's looking at being locked out of everywhere within 1.5 hours of our hometown area of she were to leave.

*Once you've contracted with Geisinger they are able to relocate you to other facilities at their discretion.

#482 themightyquinn, Jan 10, 2019 at 12:20 PM
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 12:26 PM
    TTP 1776 and KaioKaizen like this.
  33. KiddCo

Pre-Medical
    Even so, a 1:1 payback schedule sounds interesting. Do they also pay decent during that time frame? I'm curious if there is a difference in salary while doing that.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

34. themightyquinn

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, it's a good deal if you go in with your eyes open about the restrictions and how they might affect your future plans. Other enterprising med/pre-med students have struck similar deals with their local communities and hospitals, and there are other hospital systems that have similar programs as well, but it's nice to have such a large-scale, formal program in place.

AFAIK you receive a normal full salary, which makes sense as that's what similar programs offer. It's a good deal, but (and I didn't check on this) I believe it only covers tuition and not total COA. At $45k/yr, that's 180k (plus interest). My friend who's being recruited was offered $90K sign-on bonus (nominally for other things, but effectively the same) which works out to approximately half the tuition amount. Since those in the program are already committed to work for Geisinger you'll lose some of your negotiating position so your salary might not be as much as if you were coming in as an outsider. It's a win-win as you get your tuition reimbursed, and Geisinger locks in an employee for 4 years who will probably stay on once their service commitment is up. Recruiting and turnover are expensive. A lot of the value of the program will probably end up determined by your specialty and how in demand it is when you make it out into the job market, but if you know you want to work for Geisinger it's probably a very solid deal.

KaioKaizen likes this.
  35. Fermat'sLastTheorem

I need some help, everyone. I interviewed earlier this cycle and I had an interesting experience. So I'm a PoC and during my interview, my interviewer implied several times that I wouldn't belong here because of my race and somewhat directed a microaggression towards me. I tried my best play it off but honestly, I just didn't know what to do in the moment. And this is something that's just kind of been on my mind ever since. For a while after that, I kept replaying the whole experience over in my mind just trying to give my interviewer the benefit of the doubt or to find a means to tell myself that I misinterpreted all of it because I was hurt and I still kind of am. For a little while I thought hey, maybe he's just looking out. But what the heck. I told a friend about it and only after did I become more comfortable accepting this experience.

I didn't want to share this story initially because the more I thought about it, the more I just wanted to doubt my own interpretation I think. And plus, I'm just an applicant and I didn't want to share this earlier because I didn't want to seem like I was adding fire to the probation story. But I am just dumbfounded and I just don't know what to do. I mean of course, I'm not saying this one person represents a whole school but this interviewer's title showed that they pulled weight in the school's administration. But honestly, one is too many, what the actual heck? I'm not exactly sure what I'm trying to get out of sharing this story (perhaps advice?) but I'm just tired.

36. TTP 1776

This is really surprising. It seemed like they were pretty dedicated to diversity and inclusion from their 30 minute presentation before the AM interview

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

#486 TTP 1776, Jan 10, 2019 at 4:23 PM
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 4:43 PM
    KaioKaizen and Princess Pre-Med like this.
  37. Princess Pre-Med

+1
    I didn't get this vibe at all. They seemed very dedicated to diversity and inclusion; I mean it's all over their website as well.

KaioKaizen and TTP 1776 like this.
  38. TTP 1776

Even the person I interviewed with (high ranking AdCom member)... at first they seemed like they didn’t like ORMs because of their initial tone (I got really nervous when they asked me about my heritage and cultural background being ORM lol), but they assured me Geisinger is very diverse and inclusive, and the Diversity Office works really hard to emphasize/celebrate cultural competency/diversity within the Geisinger Medical community and surrounding community.

Princess Pre-Med likes this.
  39. Mouzer

@Goro has made the point repeatedly that interviews aren’t just the school interviewing you, you’re interviewing the school. I think you’d be within your rights to report this to the admissions committee. I don’t think they would want this person representing their school.

Goro and Princess Pre-Med like this.
  40. Incursio

2+ Year Member

To add on to what the other people are saying, this person definitely does not represent the school's view. They are big on diversity and inclusion (i.e. presentation about diversity and inclusion with that lady before our interviews) and overall people were super friendly and down to earth during my interview day.

Not trying to call you a liar or anything, but for you and ANYONE who had a bad interview at this school, don't let this experience scare you into not choosing this school as these people do NOT represent what the general culture of the school is like.

TTP 1776 and Princess Pre-Med like this.
  41. KiddCo

Pre-Medical
    Having grown up in the area and having traveled and lived in other parts of the US since, there does seems to be a much higher ratio of that sort of behavior in NEPA than other areas I've been.

But that's usually in the smaller towns and certain areas of wilkes-barre (at least in my experience). Scranton always seemed like a pretty inclusive place whenever I was in town.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

42. TTP 1776

I’m not trying to make this a political discussion. I do agree with KiddCo about the surrounding, non-medical community in NEPA being notorious for certain political views that would be considered “anti-diversity”, HOWEVER, the school’s faculty and students (and Scranton) did not give that vibe at all. As said earlier, it really felt like the administration is trying to champion diversity and improve educational programs to bring people of many background together.

KaioKaizen and Incursio like this.
  43. Goro

Faculty Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Without being there, it's hard to interpret the interviewer's motivation for the comment. Optimistically, they could have been warning you off that this is not a place that's friendly to PoC's.

But I'm more worried about the (more likely) negative aspect of this.

You have to inform the Admissions Dean about this; this is the only way the process can get rid of unprofessional interviewers. Even if the person meant well, there are better ways to warn you off of an unfriendly climate.

soontobedoc123 likes this.
  44. elcoquito

45. TTP 1776

I’m offended when schools tell us to expect to hear back in a certain time frame and then we’re all waiting like sitting ducks

46. EMS0821

Haven't been able to find this information and my MSAR prescription recently ran out, can someone tell me how many people get interviewed here? I'm in-state and recently interviewed here and want to have an idea what my chances are

47. DoctorSnow

Pre-Medical
    972 IS applicants --> 432 interviewed --> 79 matriculated

EMS0821 likes this.
  48. EMS0821

Thank you! Does it say how many get accepted? I don't remember if the MSAR showed that

49. medschol12344321

110 matriculate not 79

50. themightyquinn

Pre-Medical
    110 total, but the IS is 79, with 31 OOS. So roughly 20% of IS interviewees matriculate and 10% OOS.

MSAR doesn't give information on acceptances, that's part of the behind the curtain machinations. Maybe 40% of interviewees, and half end up going somewhere else? Geisinger kind of straddles a middle ground based on its medians where it's a reach for some who might have otherwise exclusively applied DO, and possibly a safety for many MD applicants, so WAG but their approach could differ significantly from other schools