2018-2019 The Commonwealth Medical College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry to hear that :( Was this pre-II or post-II? when were you complete?
I was rejected pre-II, and complete on August 7th. I appreciate the sentiment, so thank you. Unfortunately that is the nature of the process, and I will choose to keep my head up. Can't stop won't stop!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know if Geisinger accepts updates pre-II on activities, publications, etc? If so, how do we submit them? Any information is appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if Geisinger accepts updates pre-II on activities, publications, etc? If so, how do we submit them? Any information is appreciated! :)

I think they do accept up to 2 updates per cycle, but not sure if this is for all applicants or just for those who interviewed since the following is under the 'interview' tab:

"Applicants may submit up to two meaningful updates to their AMCAS application by sending a PDF document detailing new, substantial updates to: [email protected]."

Doesn't hurt to call/email and ask though, I am sure they will be pretty receptive

Reactions: 1 user
II on 10/16, IS complete 8/10- scheduled for next week!
Does anyone have advice about the interview day?

II on 10/26, IS complete 8/10- scheduled for next week!
It's very relaxed and they make you feel welcome so don't be nervous!

I submitted an update then received a II a few weeks later!

Reactions: 1 users
How long after you were complete did you submit the update? I've been complete since 8/6 but don't want to send one too early...

I was complete 8/10 and sent my update in September.
I had several papers submitted/accepted for publication.

II on 10/16, IS complete 8/10- scheduled for next week!

Be familiar with the sample itinerary! TCMC gets the interviews out of the way early which I actually liked.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview day was a pretty low-key affair, the itinerary has most of the pertinent information. I'm not sure what access to my file the faculty interviewer had, the student interviewer IIRC said they had only seen my secondary -- so come prepared to drop relevant tidbits/anecdotes from your PS, ECs, etc as neither interviewer seemed to be familiar with mine.

In the II email they mention that visitor parking will be available starting at 9 am. I got there at 8:30ish and waited for the security officer to show up to open up the lot for visitor parking but they never did. I ended up waiting a few more minutes past 9 and then parked in the hospital's parking garage. Walked in the door a little before 9:10 which is later than I like to be, but still fine. I'm sure it was just a fluke, but If you're driving I'd just park in the garage to begin with rather than worrying about parking in the lot. It was something silly cheap like $1.75 for the entire time I was there (cash only).

There are a lot of really good things about the school and after the interview it climbed from a "wouldn't be too bad" spot to pretty much my number one choice. Not really sure how the interview went from their perspective, but I was very impressed and I'll be really bummed if I get waitlisted or rejected.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
FYI, the faculty interviewer DOES have access to the experience section of your primary AND your secondary, whereas your student interviewer only has access to your secondary.

The interview experience (and the questions) seems to be dependent on the interviewer you get, but they are all very welcoming and eager to get to know more about you, so my advice for anyone interviewing is to just be yourselves because they like what they saw on paper when they decided to invite you for an interview.

+1 about parking difficulty... luckily there are a slew of garages nearby.

Also appreciate the schools focus on being as eco-friendly as possible.

Is the admissions office receptive to phone calls regarding status? I was complete early july and still havent heard a peep

@FutureMD96 I can't tell you if the office is receptive to such calls, but they admissions are very very friendly if you call for any reason. I say take a shot and see what happens.

Yeah! I have talked to Amanda a few times and she has been very nice!

wow that's a fast turn around time for you? do you have some type of connection to the school or are your stats just amazing?
I don’t have any connections and I wouldn’t say my stats are too amazing either

Same, I was on the late side for secondary and got my II around three or so weeks later. Definitely nothing amazing stats wise, no connections to the school, but I'm in-state and currently live in and intend to return to a semi-rural area which based on their mission and my interview cohort is very big for the school. That would be my guess for why I (and maybe kw2019) got such a quick turnaround.

Or it could just be our apps ended up in a pile that worked its way through the system faster than some others

Anyone have any luck with rescheduling? Might email them to say I won't be able to make it that day but can make it another day because of car troubles... when in reality it's so I can go up with a friend

Anyone have any luck with rescheduling? Might email them to say I won't be able to make it that day but can make it another day because of car troubles... when in reality it's so I can go up with a friend
Just be honest! They will work with you, but honesty is key.

Lying to them is kinda getting off on the wrong foot, and honestly if I'm looking at it from the Adcom's persepective, you made a commitment, it's your responsibility to get there. There are going to be times as a student and a doctor when unexpected stuff is going to come up and you need to be able to react and adapt so that your commitments are fulfilled. Unless you're planning on calling them the day of or night before from their perspective you've got enough time to borrow a car or rent one. Lots of people fly in to interview, it's certainly a lot more expensive than the $30/day Enterprise gets for a Hyundai.

Telling the truth is worth a shot although the confirmation implied rather heavily that changes were unlikely, that's also assuming there are spots available on the same day as your friend.

anyone who interviewed here recieve a decision yet? I interviewed 10/6 and am wondering when i should be hearing something

anyone who interviewed here recieve a decision yet? I interviewed 10/6 and am wondering when i should be hearing something

At my interview they said decisions would be released around 6-8 weeks

If they're consistent with last year, theres a good chance they release some decisions at some point this week

Does this mean they are releasing decisions today?
Not sure if today, but may be thursday/friday? It depends on when you interviewed, but not much longer for those who interviewed late september/early october

Not sure if today, but may be thursday/friday? It depends on when you interviewed, but not much longer for those who interviewed late september/early october
Im so anxious! I interviewed first week of September, and was deferred in October. can't wait for next notice

Also, do you get a notice each time the committee meets? For example, I got deferred in October, so will i hear in november if i get deferred again? Or only hear from them again if my status changes (accepted/rejected)

Also, do you get a notice each time the committee meets? For example, I got deferred in October, so will i hear in november if i get deferred again? Or only hear from them again if my status changes (accepted/rejected)
how long after you intereviewed did you hear your first correspondence? man deferred sounds anxiety-inducing just waiting each month to hear back

how long after you intereviewed did you hear your first correspondence? man deferred sounds anxiety-inducing just waiting each month to hear back
I interviewed early September (9/2 I think it was, first week of sept.) and heard the first round of decision release 10/15, that was the earliest day early decision- decisions could be released I believe. I didn’t opt in for ED, so I wasn’t surprised that I was deferred until the next committee meeting.

Anyone from mid October hear back yet? Not expecting anything until after Thanksgiving but I thought Id ask haha

Also silence here!

I interviewed 9/24. Im pretty sure that the 21st was the cutoff for their first review. I didnt get an email for deferral/acceptance and didnt get the rejection snail mail so I'm anxiously waiting!

I interviewed 9/24. Im pretty sure that the 21st was the cutoff for their first review. I didnt get an email for deferral/acceptance and didnt get the rejection snail mail so I'm anxiously waiting!
you have any guess as to when the next round of decisions are coming

No idea how consistent they are year to year, but if it is consistent with last year, it could be at the end of this week. Im sure there are many factors that go into when they release decisions so it easily could be different

Hi! was wondering if there were any current students out there that had some advice about interviewing here? or just any general knowledge about the school would be great :) Thanks!