2018-2019 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Middletown Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my acceptance this morning! I interviewed 12/10 so if anybody has questions about that date please let me know! good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 01/14 and still haven’t heard back, although it is still early. Did you receive an email and did you follow up with admissions after interview?

To the people accepted, what were your stats?

According to admissions, average Touro admission stats last cycle (both campuses): 505/3.4-3.5

I got accepted (IS, non-URM), and my stats were above the average. Others get in with below-avg stats. It’s a holistic admission process.

According to admissions, average Touro admission stats last cycle (both campuses): 505/3.4-3.5

I got accepted (IS, non-URM), and my stats were above the average. Others get in with below-avg stats. It’s a holistic admission process.
Agree with you! I had a 500 mcat but my gpa was a 3.62. I did a lot of outside things which I think is why I had 3 med school interviews in the first place since my mcat wasn't so good

If you look at their table, it doesn't look like they made an improvement. Having trouble deciding whether to risk going to a new school or trusting the administration to improve the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you look at their table, it doesn't look like they made an improvement. Having trouble deciding whether to risk going to a new school or trusting the administration to improve the school.

I share your concerns, but I personally think Middletown > ICOM. Middletown’s board performance isn’t great, but it’s been around long enough to prove that it can put its best students into great programs and specialties.
ICOM is a brand new for-profit school, and from my understanding, its admission standards have been really lax... Not sure how its debut graduating class will fare in a post-merger climate.

Reactions: 1 users
ICOM is a brand new for-profit school, and from my understanding, its admission standards have been really lax.

Depends what you consider lax admissions standards. ICOM only has incoming stats from one class and they opened up applications in the middle of last cycle. The averages stats for ICOM class of 2022 were:
cGPA 3.45
sGPA 3.4
MCAT 503

Those are actually pretty good stats for a new DO school. The rest of your post I agree with.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends what you consider lax admissions standards. ICOM only has incoming stats from one class and they opened up applications in the middle of last cycle. The averages stats for ICOM class of 2022 were:
cGPA 3.45
sGPA 3.4
MCAT 503

Those are actually pretty good stats for a new DO school. The rest of your post I agree with.

Yeah, I stand corrected on that point. Their incoming student stats are almost as good as Touro’s, and they’re in line with the DO matriculant national avg.

Oh, yeah, another thing: you can’t take out federal loans at ICOM yet, so you have to take out private loans, with higher interest rates and less opportunity for loan forgiveness down the line.

are any of you guys worried about the low COMLEX LEVEL 2 scores?

Can't remember where I heard this, but , in the past, Touro did not count the scores on the shelf exams as a part of your 3rd and 4th year GPA. Because of this, many students did not feel they needed to study for these. Not studying for your shelf exams means most likely low comlex 2 scores. Just try and fully grasp your rotations and study and you should be fine.

Edit: I think I heard this from a 4th year at Harlem.

Can't remember where I heard this, but , in the past, Touro did not count the scores on the shelf exams as a part of your 3rd and 4th year GPA. Because of this, many students did not feel they needed to study for these. Not studying for your shelf exams means most likely low comlex 2 scores. Just try and fully grasp your rotations and study and you should be fine.

Edit: I think I heard this from a 4th year at Harlem.

Do you recall if the Middletown campus has an OSCE suite for practice patient encounters? That would be helpful for COMLEX Level 2 prep, I'd think

Do you recall if the Middletown campus has an OSCE suite for practice patient encounters? That would be helpful for COMLEX Level 2 prep, I'd think

Yes. I toured it. It is close to the Anatomy lab.

Yes, we have an OSCE examination 3 times a semester for first years and I think the same goes for second years. We also do our OMM practical exams in those rooms.

got accepted today off the waitlist! very quick response time

for anyone who is in the current class, how are the classes set up? how much time do you spend in class, versus working at home online?

How did you get off the waitlist over the weekend? What did you do specifically?

I sent an update letter right before I got waitlisted. After I got waitlisted I emailed frank rose and told him about how I really would love to go here and asked about an update on the waitlist

Can any current student provide a schedule on how long you're in class? And how long are the videos/ do you have time to study for boards?

Has anyone been able to find the facebook group for the 2023 class? I have had no luck finding it.

Are research opportunities available?
We touched base on it briefly a few posts back. Basically, you’ll get an email invitation on occasions to participate in research. I don’t know the details, but, yes, if you want to do research, there are opportunities to do so.

No but you aren’t required to watch them. Each class has about an hour video so you can just spend a day watching your lectures.
But aren't the clicker sessions based on the videos? So how do you delay watching the videos?

For my class (1st year) we have class/lab from 8-5 Tuesday thru Thursday. We have a test about once a week and they are scheduled Monday or Friday mornings 9-11.

And everything from 8 to 5 is mandatory?

Also, isn't having exams every week super burdensome? How are you supposed to prep for boards when you have to dwell on low-yield content that's relevant to class exams?

Regarding classes (clickers), they are not technically mandatory but they count for 10% of your grade. The lowest clicker grade is dropped.

So, you could skip every clicker if you wanted to and assuming you make As on the exams you would end up with a 90.

Labs and the like are mandatory as they are at most if not all schools. The above is all regarding first year—I don’t really know how second year compares.

upload_2019-2-8_15-9-46.png

Thought you guys might find this interesting... initial AOA match results for Middletown this year. Two ortho and one plastics is pretty impressive!

Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 250092

Thought you guys might find this interesting... initial AOA match results for Middletown this year. Two ortho and one plastics is pretty impressive!

It's really an ENT program, not plastics -- which is still competitive, of course.

Who knows if these sorts of outcomes will happen after the merger is in full effect :(

Reactions: 2 users
View attachment 250092

Impressive match list so far! ENT is ultra competitive along with Orthopedic Surgery! I would love to add Ophthalmology to the list when it's my time! :) Work hard guys, and soon, we'll be living our dreams!

And everything from 8 to 5 is mandatory?

Also, isn't having exams every week super burdensome? How are you supposed to prep for boards when you have to dwell on low-yield content that's relevant to class exams?
Well I mean I think you’ll find a burdensome schedule at any medical school. Some schools have one exam every 4 weeks that covers all your classes. I’d rather have a test every week. They do give you a month to study boards, some schools don’t give any time. We have a professor that writes questions for boards and another professor (Dr. Fischer) who wrote part of the Kaplan board prep book. A lot of our clicker questions are pulled from board prep books and boards are often referenced during lectures as well.

Hi ! Any transportation tips on how to get from your hotel to the school. I got an email from Frank saying Uber is not reliable, has anyone else found this to be true? Are there taxi services?

There are taxis that are supposedly $7 from/to any location within the city limits. I’ve never taken one.