2018-2019 Tulane University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those that interviewed, are all these interviews blind/closed file? I'm guessing the student one is but the faculty one too?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, what are good ways to prepare for the standardized patient interaction? I'm a bit nervous about this probably because I don't know what to expect.

On a different note, and this has probably been asked a thousands times, does "in progress" mean that my app is not under review yet?
Imagine if you were talking to a patient, what would you do? You would be empathetic. If you start thinking about these types of situations, that should hopefully help. Go onto youtube and find some mock patient MMI scenarios to practice on as well.

Edit: I did sign a NDA, so this is as much as I will go into that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Admitted ED. For the person who asked: I believe Tulane favors those who show strong interest in the school and city and applying ED helps a lot.

Reactions: 6 users
Congrats Cranberry93! I too just got accepted ED. I agree completely with your assessment. I interviewed @ Tulane last year and everyone was so nice. I made up my mind that was where I wanted to be. Dr Morris was so helpful, I applied to numerous schools last year, but she was the only Adcom member at any school that ever returned my calls.

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats Cranberry93! I too just got accepted ED. I agree completely with your assessment. I interviewed @ Tulane last year and everyone was so nice. I made up my mind that was where I wanted to be. Dr Morris was so helpful, I applied to numerous schools last year, but she was the only Adcom member at any school that ever returned my calls.

Congrats!! Yup she’s the best! I’m a second time applicant as well and she happily met with me and pushed me towards ED.

Reactions: 1 user
Admitted ED. For the person who asked: I believe Tulane favors those who show strong interest in the school and city and applying ED helps a lot.
Out of curiosity, when did you guys interview?

Congratulations to both of you! And thanks for your insight regarding early decision. I'm in New Orleans, love the area, and want to stay. I obviously have to consider LSU but for a variety of reasons I have been very drawn to Tulane. It seems that for many schools, ED is a big risk with not much reward, but I had a hunch that it might be more of a positive factor with Tulane.

Under review this morning, complete 8/14.

Anybody hear post interview R or Weight list? I know they can accept til the 15th but just wondering if they had sent out anything else

Hey, what are good ways to prepare for the standardized patient interaction? I'm a bit nervous about this probably because I don't know what to expect.

On a different note, and this has probably been asked a thousands times, does "in progress" mean that my app is not under review yet?

To prepare for a standardized patient, just think about how you want your interaction with a Doctor to go. Look up the qualities a good physician has and try to show them throughout your interview. You really can not prepare too much for the scenario, but I can assure you it is NOT something to worry about. You got this

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody hear post interview R or Weight list? I know they can accept til the 15th but just wondering if they had sent out anything else
I interviewed here 9/27 and am pretty sure 10/15 is when they start sending out RD acceptances, not the last day they do them. In years past its always been sometime during the Oct 15-17 period.

ED is probably gonna be even more favored with the multiple acceptance reports gone this year.

Does anyone know how to get off the hold list? Are we suppose to send a letter of intent or? Canadian here.
Not sure but just wanted to point out that letters of intent won't do you much good unless you have an acceptance in hand. Normally, I've only ever seen them being sent when someone is on the waitlist for the school they want to attend. Maybe you mean letter of interest? I don't know how much of an impact that'll make but it can't hurt to try if they accept them

I interviewed here 9/27 and am pretty sure 10/15 is when they start sending out RD acceptances, not the last day they do them. In years past its always been sometime during the Oct 15-17 period.

Sorry i meant I knew they can’t** accept but was wondering if there had been any post-Interview R/WL yet. Sorry for the confusion!

For those that interviewed, are all these interviews blind/closed file? I'm guessing the student one is but the faculty one too?
At the beginning of the day the dean mentioned interviews could be closed file but they would have your secondary and PS. Mine ended up being open file though so I think its a mix tbh

At the beginning of the day the dean mentioned interviews could be closed file but they would have your secondary and PS. Mine ended up being open file though so I think its a mix tbh
That’s kinda unfortunate lol. So you’re either gonna have a chill conversation cause you can talk about your app/experiences or it’s gonna be like an actual interivew with your interviewer asking you standardized questions

That’s kinda unfortunate lol. So you’re either gonna have a chill conversation cause you can talk about your app/experiences or it’s gonna be like an actual interivew with your interviewer asking you standardized questions
Haha, pretty much, just prepare for anything.

Any other ED acceptances? Looking at past threads, it seems like they stagger acceptances even for those who interviewed earlier or on the same day, so in some years it’s hard to tell whether news is coming your way on a certain day.

Hey @FigmundSreud, received my ED offer and accepted yesterday as well! Interviewed on 8/28! From Canada and really excited about the MD/MBA program. If anyone makes a FB group let me know:)

Reactions: 3 users

Me as well! See you both in 2019!!

Congrats to all ED acceptees. I reckon that they probably sent all those out yesterday. Did anyone ask about the earliest date RD people could hear back?

Congrats to all ED acceptees. I reckon that they probably sent all those out yesterday. Did anyone ask about the earliest date RD people could hear back?
The first day any school can send an RD acceptance is October 15 per AAMC rules.

The first day any school can send an RD acceptance is October 15 per AAMC rules.

But some schools may be giving most of them out much later due to the amcas policy change on acceptnac reports, and may only give very few acceptances on October 15 in spite of having interviewed a lot of people before then (like Tulane has done)

Submitted 7/20, just got under review email today. I guess this was pretty much a waste of money..

10/15

But some schools may be giving most of them out much later due to the amcas policy change on acceptnac reports, and may only give very few acceptances on October 15 in spite of having interviewed a lot of people before then (like Tulane has done)
I've heard Tulane doesn't like to keep people waiting. So, I would assume 10/15.

Is anyone else still not under review? Was complete mid-August and still have "In Progress"

Why are we already at 28 pages? A lot of folks must’ve applied this year.

If you go back through, I'm sure we could fill up 10-15 pages alone with "what does the red exclamation point mean'' or "am I under review yet" or "Finally under review today"

We're a very neurotic bunch

Reactions: 11 users
Yep. Tulane is a highly coveted school. Good location and excellent clinical training compared to others

App still in progress, submitted secondary on 8/28

Hey guys. I am still waiting to hear back from other schools and very anxious to end up with all rejections. Is it too late to send a secondary to Tulane now?

Hey guys. I am still waiting to hear back from other schools and very anxious to end up with all rejections. Is it too late to send a secondary to Tulane now?
Yes. Save your money

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with @medschoolzombie it may be too late. I usually say if you don't apply you have 0% chance of getting in, but since I would assume 95% of II's have been sent out, I would hold off on Tulane.

Thanks for your advice! is there any other school that has not yet sent this many ii already? :D

As opposed to any other school? Why?

I’d reckon what I said above as well as that it’s more accessible to people with lower stats who fit the mission

edit: edited above shortly after

1/4 applicants to medical school send an application to Tulane. I would guess it's because of lower stats (though you must fit mission), cool location, great patient population, great exposure to all types of pathology and medicine. Plus it's an old and well established school that almost everyone has heard of.