2018-2019 Tulane University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long does it take from when Tulane says "application under review" until it's completed?

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile
Just got the R today pre-II, and was put under review on 11/29 so I think it's around 2 weeks. Complete 9/22.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II invite. Was on hold for interview on the 16th​

Reactions: 9 users
So if we want to send in updates post-interview we should send them via the admissions email provided on the website?

So if we want to send in updates post-interview we should send them via the admissions email provided on the website?

You should send it through the document upload page on the portal. I think if you email you won’t receive a response or they’ll just tell you to go to the portal anyways.

You should send it through the document upload page on the portal. I think if you email you won’t receive a response or they’ll just tell you to go to the portal anyways.
This may be a silly question to ask but how would you format an update document?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hold for interview- under review mid November, complete early September

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here with the Hold for Interview. Under review 11/28 and complete 9/21.

Sent from my SM-G965U using SDN mobile

Is a hold from this school a death sentence?

It doesn't seem that way so I'm kind of hopeful.

Are they done with interviews/interview invites? Do they often take people off of hold?

They schedule a lot of interviews really early on so I think at this point you're waiting for someone to cancel

Reactions: 6 users
@Gem91 If we don't hear today before break, when is the adcom going to resume meeting to make decisions?

Reactions: 1 users
@Gem91 If we don't hear today before break, when is the adcom going to resume meeting to make decisions?
Some decisions will be released today before the break. Hope you get some good news.

Wow! Accepted!!!! :soexcited: Interviewed 10/25

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Do they all go out at the same time? So if I didn't hear anything just now, then I have to wait till after break? Thanks

@Gem91

Looks like it’s about that time for a class of 2023 page on FB:claps:

Reactions: 3 users
is anyone else from mid oct still waiting...? I interviewed 10/19

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does Tulane send II's after December? I got the hold for possible interview Dec. 20

Random, but if you do choose to submit updates or letters of interest/intent, please include a date. Likely a fault of the application software, but when you download these things there's currently no timestamp. I read several updates today with no date in the content of the upload, which makes it harder to consider in the context of the remainder of the application.

Withdrawing app before interviewing at end of January. I guess spot may be open during that time period for anyone looking for an earlier date

@Gem91 is 4 weeks of dedicated step time enough for students? I hear the ideal time is 6 weeks.

@Gem91 is 4 weeks of dedicated step time enough for students? I hear the ideal time is 6 weeks.

4 weeks isn't a lot, but schools can be tricky with scheduling dedicated time. I'll tell you what we are advising the current second years (also what we did). They technically have 5 weeks of dedicated time from their last "shelf" exam until 3rd year orientation. The reality is that the last "class" exam is February 22nd. So for 10 weeks (February 22 to May 6) there is no new material-no classes-but still 3 "shelf" exams, March 14, 28, and 29. Everyone I know used these 10 weeks to study for step 1 and take these 3 "shelf" exams as step 1 practice, for which you do need to be on campus. After the last one on March 29, there are still 5 weeks if you want to go home to study and take step 4 or 5 weeks later. I think this set-up works well. 10 weeks with no new info, but 3 days of practice tests ending halfway through. It's not 10 weeks of dedicated, but it kinda is if you use the "shelf" exams as practice (your studying for step is enough to do well on these in a p/f curriculum). I prefer this to 4 or 5 weeks of dedicated time. Also, other schools may have similar set-ups while only advertising 4 or 5 weeks of dedicated time. If a school truly only has 4 weeks of no new material/exams, I'd be dissatisfied. If they have 5 or more, I'd be cool.

Reactions: 6 users
@Gem91 do you know when the people who interviewed early dec should be hearing back? last year it was the first week of jan, will it be the same thing this year?

@Gem91 do you know when the people who interviewed early dec should be hearing back? last year it was the first week of jan, will it be the same thing this year?
Looking to be a while lol. Most of us Nov people haven’t heard back. Some late oct people too. Wonder what’s going on with Tulane. They’re so behind on decision this cycle

Looking to be a while lol. Most of us Nov people haven’t heard back. Some late oct people too. Wonder what’s going on with Tulane. They’re so behind on decision this cycle
I interviewed 10/4 and still nothing, so it might be quite a while off.

Looking for some insight on this. I've heard people say that Tulane is the best unranked school, what does this mean?

I interviewed 10/4 and still nothing, so it might be quite a while off.

Do they skip people and come back to them later with a decision? Or do they go in order of intereview date cause that makes me nervous for you

Looking for some insight on this. I've heard people say that Tulane is the best unranked school, what does this mean?

It’s based on us news ranking. Most Schools are ranked in research (aka how much grant money they get) and primary care. Some schools like tulane which don’t have an emphasis on either of those things choose not to participate in the ranking system so they’re unranked. School rank plays a role in residency match decisions, so not having bad one could be a red flag of sorts for a school. Tulanes reputation is stellar among Program Directors even without a ranking so it’s called the best of the unranked

Do they skip people and come back to them later with a decision? Or do they go in order of intereview date cause that makes me nervous for you

It’s based on us news ranking. Most Schools are ranked in research (aka how much grant money they get) and primary care. Some schools like tulane which don’t have an emphasis on either of those things choose not to participate in the ranking system so they’re unranked. School rank plays a role in residency match decisions, so not having bad one could be a red flag of sorts for a school. Tulanes reputation is stellar among Program Directors even without a ranking so it’s called the best of the unranked

You don’t have to worry for me, I already got accepted to a school that’s higher on my list. Just providing a data point for the rest of you!

rejected this morning, OOS. Secondary submitted 8/28. Complete on 11/1.

I still haven't received any follow up email containing financial aid information / FASFA instructions after receiving an acceptance on 12/21 - checked my spam, too. Could the holiday be delaying it for this long, or do you guys think it's time to reach out?

I still haven't received any follow up email containing financial aid information / FASFA instructions after receiving an acceptance on 12/21 - checked my spam, too. Could the holiday be delaying it for this long, or do you guys think it's time to reach out?
I would say its the holiday, wait some more. You technically don't have to do anything until March, I believe for fin aid.

You’re able to fill out FASFA anytime after October, I would do that if you haven’t already. Just put in Tulane’s name and the code will come up. There’s also a med school addendum on their website (might be Gibson portal can’t remember) that you can also complete if you’re eager to start the process