2018-2019 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Military and Public Health Medicine is a calling that is both rewarding and challenging. “America’s Medical School” is looking for the absolute best to serve all military and Public Health Service beneficiaries—service members, retirees, and family members. Please describe your motivation to learn and practice medicine with the U.S. military medical corps and/or the U.S. Public Health Service. (1500 characters)

2. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine features a distinctive curriculum that meets all of the requirements for a high quality medical degree AND prepares students to be high-performing officers in the medical corps of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force or Public Health Service. Please describe what in your research about our school and/or in your personal or family background attracts you to our institution’s unique mission and approach. (1500 characters)

3. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine receives far more outstanding applications from potential students than we are able to admit in any given year. Our Admissions Committee likes to assemble classes of students with a diversity of backgrounds, skills, experiences and talents to care for our patients—many of whom have overcome impressive challenges while serving our country. Please describe a special quality or experience that will help you relate to our unique population and that will strengthen your class if admitted to “America’s Medical School.” (1500 characters)

21 days to return secondary.

Interview Feedback: Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Weren’t you already accepted?
I'm in the EMDP2. It's a postbacc for enlisted servicemembers through USUHS. We get a nice leg up in admissions (ie, we don’t have to pay for prereqs or the MCAT, they give us student mentors, the professors are all awesome, we get a Kaplan class paid for, etc—it’s huge for me because I wouldn’t even be able to apply to med school without this program), but we still have to apply and go through the interview process just like everyone else.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Let’s get this party started! Dr. Saguil told us at orientation last year that the secondary questions would be the same as they were last year, so I’ve already written mine.
It looks like past years has only been a 200 character limit, but on their website it states that it is 1300 characters. Do you know which one it is for this cycle?

It's an awesome school. Dr. Saguil is the man, and the rest of the admissions office is super legit.

Agreed, we have met a few times over the past 2.5 years. Makes me want to attend that much more and is so helpful

I was curious does Med school count towards retirement? I know residency does, I'm just curious about the med school part.

I was curious does Med school count towards retirement? I know residency does, I'm just curious about the med school part.

It does not count towards your 20, but it gets added on at the end. So once you do 20, they tack it on to make 24.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else a current Naval Officer reservist applying? If so I believe all we need is the Conditional Release and your unit CO letter of recommendation correct? I have been trying for week now to get in touch with PERS and haven't heard anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else a current Naval Officer reservist applying? If so I believe all we need is the Conditional Release and your unit CO letter of recommendation correct? I have been trying for week now to get in touch with PERS and haven't heard anything.

This is peak orders season. They’re super busy right now. Just keep trying.

I’m AD, but I’m pretty sure that’s all you need.

Interested in applying but had a few questions that might affect my application/admissions chances:

1) I have ZERO background experience with the military. Apart from interacting with ROTC members at my UG and having a strong personal reason for serving the country, I don't have anything specific regarding the military or military medicine that I can draw from apart from what I have read online (though it certainly excites me).

2) I have a committee letter but no MD letter included in that. I know one is required. Any chance that the requirement can be waived? If not, I can get an MD letter from my gap year job but am wondering what the latest completion date of the application is to still get seriously considered and not have interviews too late (would be asking my gap year supervisor but obviously need to get to know him first and put in some work).

Interested in applying but had a few questions that might affect my application/admissions chances:

1) I have ZERO background experience with the military. Apart from interacting with ROTC members at my UG and having a strong personal reason for serving the country, I don't have anything specific regarding the military or military medicine that I can draw from apart from what I have read online (though it certainly excites me).

They care about two things wrt that:

1) That you have some sort of idea of what you’re getting into—see if you can talk to a military physician irl, talk about your interactions with rotc, etc. The secondary asks specifically why mil med.

2) That you have a demonstrated commitment to service. It doesn’t have to be military, but they want to see that you are someone committed to serving the public, and the best way to show that besides military service is through community service—so definitely have plenty of non-clinical volunteering to talk about.

2) I have a committee letter but no MD letter included in that. I know one is required. Any chance that the requirement can be waived? If not, I can get an MD letter from my gap year job but am wondering what the latest completion date of the application is to still get seriously considered and not have interviews too late (would be asking my gap year supervisor but obviously need to get to know him first and put in some work).

Not likely. They actually care about clinical experience. Get the letter as soon as possible. Spots fill up as they go, so sooner is better. But there is usually pretty good WL movement because people decide last minute that the military isn’t for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi all. Not sure if I can be of help to anyone, but I got in here (USAF) last year but was medically disqualified. I will not be reapplying. I'm open to answering any questions about applications, interview day, the DoDMERB, medical waiver/appeal process... just post or shoot me a message! :) Good luck everyone!

Thanks! You weren't prior service were you?

Hey guys! Finishing up my MS1 year at USU, about to head out for my summer operation experience before starting year 2. Happy to answer any questions!

So you actually just need a clinical letter, that doesn't necessarily mean MD. It could be PT, MD, DO, ATC, etc. Basically any clinical experience will work.

Hey guys! Finishing up my MS1 year at USU, about to head out for my summer operation experience before starting year 2. Happy to answer any questions!

Thanks for posting! Any tips in regards to secondaries?I am having a little bit harder of a time writing them than expected. I feel like all 3 questions are in a sense asking "why do you want to serve military members and their families?" As a previous AD service member and current reservist I know why I want to work with my fellow service members, but I cannot rewrite the same answer three times. Appreciate any tips!

Thanks for posting! Any tips in regards to secondaries?I am having a little bit harder of a time writing them than expected. I feel like all 3 questions are in a sense asking "why do you want to serve military members and their families?" As a previous AD service member and current reservist I know why I want to work with my fellow service members, but I cannot rewrite the same answer three times. Appreciate any tips!

Sure. So the first question is essentially asking "why military medicine/why USUHS." For you, I would think about why you are transitioning from whatever your prior career with the military was/is, and why you are moving to medicine. Is it something you saw? The people you worked with? etc. This is where I would put your "why do you want to serve military members and their families." I would look at this question as being why milmed--you could have the same answer for USUHS and HPSP.

The second question is asking why USUHS specifically. I think I wrote about how I knew I wanted to do military medicine, and USUHS is the best place to do that. I think the second question is asking why you want to be a physician (medicine), and a leader (military), specifically as it pertains to USUHS. Which is still a variant of the first question, but I think this is your opportunity to address something you've learned about the school. I.e. "the military emergency medicine curriculum will help me develop as both an officer and a physician and recognize the needs of my soldiers/sailors/airmen, etc" or maybe talk about the leadership skills you've cultivated in the military so far, and how different parts of USUHS can help you develop them further.

The third question is asking "why should we pick you/what unique skills/talents do you bring to the school." This is where you can talk about a wide range of things...you can talk about dedication and drive, what makes you a unique applicant, why your military background will help you help your peers, etc.

Hope that helps! All the questions are generally getting at the same point, but you can approach from different angles.

Reactions: 2 users
Sure. So the first question is essentially asking "why military medicine/why USUHS." For you, I would think about why you are transitioning from whatever your prior career with the military was/is, and why you are moving to medicine. Is it something you saw? The people you worked with? etc. This is where I would put your "why do you want to serve military members and their families." I would look at this question as being why milmed--you could have the same answer for USUHS and HPSP.

The second question is asking why USUHS specifically. I think I wrote about how I knew I wanted to do military medicine, and USUHS is the best place to do that. I think the second question is asking why you want to be a physician (medicine), and a leader (military), specifically as it pertains to USUHS. Which is still a variant of the first question, but I think this is your opportunity to address something you've learned about the school. I.e. "the military emergency medicine curriculum will help me develop as both an officer and a physician and recognize the needs of my soldiers/sailors/airmen, etc" or maybe talk about the leadership skills you've cultivated in the military so far, and how different parts of USUHS can help you develop them further.

The third question is asking "why should we pick you/what unique skills/talents do you bring to the school." This is where you can talk about a wide range of things...you can talk about dedication and drive, what makes you a unique applicant, why your military background will help you help your peers, etc.

Hope that helps! All the questions are generally getting at the same point, but you can approach from different angles.

Wow truly appreciate your thoughts on it and definitely brought a new approach to viewing the questions. USU has been my top medical school for the past 3 years as I have been making myself a competitive applicant. I look forward to getting this secondary in!

Wow truly appreciate your thoughts on it and definitely brought a new approach to viewing the questions. USU has been my top medical school for the past 3 years as I have been making myself a competitive applicant. I look forward to getting this secondary in!
@Gator2010 Have you already received a secondary?

@snowygirl no I have not. I have just looked up lasts years prompts and am pre-writting them. I believe I saw a post a while ago saying that USUHS is going to be using the same prompts. I just want to make sure I am able to get in the secondary ASAP once I receive it.

Does anyone know how strict they are on the LoR? I see that they want 3 academic - 2 science and 1 non. I've been out of my 4 year program for about 3 years now and finished my last pre-reqs (went back for post-bac) over a year ago; needless to say when I contacted professors for letters I didn't get them. I luckily have 1 science teacher I actually kept in contact with, but was going to use my Platoon Sergeant (currently Army Reserves) my manager from my civilian job (I work in a hospital) and my Medical Director for the other 3. Then just write a memo saying that my old professors told me to get lost basically.

I know for the non-science, it can be from a supervisor. I used one from my old Chief.
Sounds good. I know it's medical school, but hopefully the good old waiver applies here. Would hate to get locked out of USU just because an old professor wouldn't write me a letter; it has me a little nervous.

Sounds good. I know it's medical school, but hopefully the good old waiver applies here. Would hate to get locked out of USU just because an old professor wouldn't write me a letter; it has me a little nervous.

Yeah I don’t know how they are with the science letters. I know they don’t budge on prereqs being completed in person at all (fortunately, I don’t have to worry about that). Have you tried emailing them? They will respond and let you know.

Just got my secondary. @gyngyn @Lucca Here are the prompts:

1. Military and Public Health Medicine is a calling that is both rewarding and challenging. “America’s Medical School” is looking for the absolute best to serve all military and Public Health Service beneficiaries—service members, retirees, and family members. Please describe your motivation to learn and practice medicine with the U.S. military medical corps and/or the U.S. Public Health Service. (1500 characters)

2. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine features a distinctive curriculum that meets all of the requirements for a high quality medical degree AND prepares students to be high-performing officers in the medical corps of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force or Public Health Service. Please describe what in your research about our school and/or in your personal or family background attracts you to our institution’s unique mission and approach. (1500 characters)

3. The F. Edward Hébert School of Medicine receives far more outstanding applications from potential students than we are able to admit in any given year. Our Admissions Committee likes to assemble classes of students with a diversity of backgrounds, skills, experiences and talents to care for our patients—many of whom have overcome impressive challenges while serving our country. Please describe a special quality or experience that will help you relate to our unique population and that will strengthen your class if admitted to “America’s Medical School.” (1500 characters)

21 days to return secondary.

Last edited:
Just got mine today too, but I am not even verified in AMCAS. Weird!

received an email invite for secondary, but which user and password do i use?

received an email invite for secondary, but which user and password do i use?

I just reset my password. Your user id is your amcas id. Just a warning, there is no obvious way to save your progress. I finished all but one section and had to close my laptop and go home, and when I opened it back up it said my session had expired. When I opened the app again, it had erased everything I did.

Hi everyone! Just got the secondary today and I am excited and nervous. I have been following this school for the last 3 years as well and I want to make a great impression. For the third essay, it mentions the unique set of patients and ask how we can relate to them AND make add something to the class. Should we just focus more on the class? I wrote an essay similar to this one for TMDSAS about what makes you different and how that helps you as a med student and physician. Should I just alter that? Or do you think we need to relate it more to patients?

Hi everyone! Just got the secondary today and I am excited and nervous. I have been following this school for the last 3 years as well and I want to make a great impression. For the third essay, it mentions the unique set of patients and ask how we can relate to them AND make add something to the class. Should we just focus more on the class? I wrote an essay similar to this one for TMDSAS about what makes you different and how that helps you as a med student and physician. Should I just alter that? Or do you think we need to relate it more to patients?

I wrote about both, but I’m active duty, so it wasn’t too hard. Think of something that makes you relatable to service members. Think about the challenges we face in the military and things you’ve experienced that can help you relate.

I agree with Matthew. Try to find something that incorporates both. What experiences have you had that will help your fellow student as well as the special subset of patients you will interact with.

Just submitted the secondary......no photo required.

Just submitted the secondary......no photo required.

Yeah, which is weird because they took photos of us last year and told us we would use them as our secondary photos. I guess they changed it.

I saw Imagine Dragons last night, so I’m submitting my secondary today.

Secondary submitted... reapplicant this year... good luck everyone!

Thank you guys for the help and good luck this cycle!