2018-2019 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected post interview through snail mail. They told me to take a hike... oh well, good luck to the rest

PS. I showed up overweight to my physical but i never failed tape in the army. However, i didnt get a chance to get taped. The rejection letter was sent October 29th (the same day DODmerb was done reviewing my physical results) but I dont know if my physical had anything to do with my rejection though, it could have been due to other things.

Sorry dude, but congrats on your other acceptances!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear that. Best of luck with your other medical school applications. Are you thinking of doing HPSP?

I always felt that I would only go the military route through USU. So to answer your question, I don’t believe I will apply for hpsp.

Maybe that says something about my commitment to military medicine. Maybe USU was right for rejecting me I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for those resources. You're the man.

I'm not worried about being away from "family" generically. I'm worried about being stationed apart from my spouse as mil-to-mil.

Yeah that can obviously happen but they definitely take that into consideration if you’re both in the same branch. They also apparently allow an interservice transfer if you’re married while you’re in school if you’re not already in the same branch. Our tour guide told us about it (and Dr Saguil mentioned it) lol.

Reactions: 1 user
I always felt that I would only go the military route through USU. So to answer your question, I don’t believe I will apply for hpsp.

Maybe that says something about my commitment to military medicine. Maybe USU was right for rejecting me I guess.

That’s a mature way to look at it. Especially since your commitment with HPSP would be 3 years shorter than USUHS. Congrats on your other acceptances though. You’re gonna be a doctor!

Yeah that can obviously happen but they definitely take that into consideration if you’re both in the same branch. They also apparently allow an interservice transfer if you’re married while you’re in school if you’re not already in the same branch. Our tour guide told us about it (and Dr Saguil mentioned it) lol.

Yes if I get an II, this will be the main thing I need to talk to admissions about. My partner is very worried about it being a problem, so we'll see.

I was about 5-10 pounds over weight at my physical and got an email about going to get tapped after I got my acceptance call

It absolutely could have been something else, I’ll email or call to see

Any ideas how long the turnaround is from conditional to unconditional acceptance?

Caught that pre-II rejection this morning. Had been in contact with Dr. Saguil last week and it sounded like this year was a good year for me (re-applicant from last year). Best of luck to the rest of you still in it and congrats to those of you with acceptances already!

Reactions: 5 users
Have any accepted applicants received follow-up instruction aside from completing the commitment forms/transcript request?

Caught that pre-II rejection this morning. Had been in contact with Dr. Saguil last week and it sounded like this year was a good year for me (re-applicant from last year). Best of luck to the rest of you still in it and congrats to those of you with acceptances already!

Sorry man. Good luck in the rest of your cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will they do body composition test if you don’t meet height weight? If so does anyone know the body fat percentages or where I can find them?

Current M3, PM if you have questions.

Thanks for popping by! I was wondering how fellowships work for Military doctors. Is it something that they allow you to do? I know if you spend too much time in residency/fellowship they add extra time to your commitment.

Hello Everyone! I've been following this thread for a while now and it has been very helpful for the overall application process.
-Applied in July
-II on Nov 1st.
-Just waiting for the decision!!

So CBS is development a series about students residents and attendings at USUHS?

@Matthew9Thirtyfive Do you have any advice on looking for housing in the area?

I'm actually looking now. Are you looking to buy or rent? I started out looking to buy, but after discussing it with a couple financial advisors, their advise was that buying when you're active duty and will be moving around a lot is a terrible decision. So we're going to rent. There are a lot of nice places to rent in North Bethesda and Rockville, but you can find places farther away too.

I'm actually looking now. Are you looking to buy or rent? I started out looking to buy, but after discussing it with a couple financial advisors, their advise was that buying when you're active duty and will be moving around a lot is a terrible decision. So we're going to rent. There are a lot of nice places to rent in North Bethesda and Rockville, but you can find places farther away too.

I'm looking to rent and would love to live close enough to bike to campus (within 7 miles). Do you know if most unmarried students have roommates?

I'm looking to rent and would love to live close enough to bike to campus (within 7 miles). Do you know if most unmarried students have roommates?

I'm not sure. I can ask my student mentor, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people roommate up. It definitely saves money. Biking might not be very nice in the winter, especially when it snows. But if you live in North Bethesda or Rockville, there is a metro that goes right to campus.

I'm not sure. I can ask my student mentor, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people roommate up. It definitely saves money. Biking might not be very nice in the winter, especially when it snows. But if you live in North Bethesda or Rockville, there is a metro that goes right to campus.

Good point about the snow - I hadn't considered that!

Good point about the snow - I hadn't considered that!

They also offer carpool parking passes if you don't get an individual pass. But my student mentor said everyone in his class who applied for a permit got one. You can always get one and only use it when it snows or is really cold.

I think there's a bunch of apartments around the Bethesda metro station area, which is like 1 stop from Walter Reed. I have a friend that lived in one... it was pricey but had a decent amount of space for apartments in the DMV area.