2018-2019 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Wallydoc801

It was this morning at 11:00 AM EST

El alfil likes this.
  2. AlmondLane

Pre-Medical

Hi! I am a bit late to the party but I do have some info directly from Wilsnack! So I was over weight for my physical (recently turned 21, alooooot of liquid calories gained), and was sent an email about getting a body composition exam. Once you receive this email, you have until the end of Feburary to send in a passed exam (be under the required body fat percentage for your height, age, and gender). If you cannot get under by that time, you will have to start having “serious conversations” with Wilsnack in March.

3. TybeeRagnar

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Any other interviewers from 10/18 hear anything yet?

4. Olivesinthesunshine

I interviewed on 10/18 and was accepted for Navy on Tuesday 11/13 by phone call. I got a letter dated 11/09 that same day. I hope they call you soon!!

5. spinning-leaf

That is actually super promising to a less-than-ideal candidate like myself! Still just crossing my fingers for an interview!

Matthew9Thirtyfive likes this.
  6. coys784

Pre-Medical
    II just now, I was put on hold a month ago. December 6th! I am so excited!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. AirForceNaz

Pre-Medical
    +1 Let's go!

8. MillertimeUSNA

II here as well for DEC 6. Woohoo! Complete OCT 5.

9. mayabee

Pre-Medical
    II today! Complete back in August.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. AirForceNaz

Pre-Medical
    SAFE doesn't work for anyone else, right? Can we email SECNAV to Ms. Baker directly?

BunsenBeaker likes this.
  11. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive Class of 2023!
    Moderator Verified Expert 2+ Year Member

I don't think SECNAV would appreciate being cut up into a bunch of photons.

AirForceNaz likes this.
  12. BunsenBeaker

13. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Woo hoo!

BunsenBeaker likes this.
  14. ALittleC8H10N4O2

I interviewed on Nov. 8, and had the chance to talk to Dr. Saguil. He gave me a little info that may be promising.

If you interviewed, you are interviewing for a slot. They perform a serious vetting process before interviews and approximately 70% of interviewees will be accepted.

If you are waitlisted, that is fine. All that is means is that you are waiting on a spot to open up, and this happens all the time. Many people dont accept or don’t meet the standsrda to commision. If that is the case, the waitlisted people are next.

They prioritize in order of your interview performance. If you do well, you’ll go to the top of the list and receive the next available slot.

This is my interpretation of the conversation, but Dr. Saguil made it seem like interviewees had a pretty good chance of being accepted. Good luck!

15. RockPaperScissorShoot

That is good news. Here is to hoping that we are part of the 70%!

BunsenBeaker and MadDoc21 like this.
  16. Cavalry

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would say quite a few, but most people choose based on program and fit. I don't have hard numbers and wouldn't want to lie to you, but my guess is that for the larger program like IM/Peds/FM, there will be slots available to the average graduating student in the NCR. I haven't heard that Walter Reed is the most competitive location for most programs or anything along those lines.

I agree with your other concern, and it's valid. There are no guarantees with matching and having a spouse PCS'd somewhere else for a long period of time certainly puts a strain on any relationship. Again I can't speak to numbers, but from what I hear (again taking this with a grain of salt) programs definitely factor in a military spouses' assigned station and try to keep couples together.

BunsenBeaker likes this.
  17. Cavalry

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That is correct, USU's waitlist moves faster than most civilian med schools (though still slower than every waitlisted student would like) and more of the class comes off the waitlist due to fewer acceptances offered outright. From what I understand, this is because USU's purse is controlled in large part by Congress, and they are prohibited to enrolling (and thus offering acceptances to) more students than their allocated funding allows. Therefore, USU only gives out exactly the number of acceptances that it has spots for, unlike civilian schools that accept 2.5-3.5 times more students than their average class, and once most of those acceptees choose to go elsewhere, then they take a few civilians off the waitlist. As a result, being on a waitlist at USU is actually pretty good overall, and much more optimistic than being waitlisted almost anywhere else.

18. MadDoc21

Pre-Medical
    So I am having a hard time filling out my branch preference sheet. Is there a detriment to putting no preference? I see good qualities in all of the branches and I would be honored to join any but would that reflect as apathetic? Also does your desired specialty play in to which branch you should join? I would appreciate all of your thoughts!

19. Matthew9Thirtyfive

The Army has more opportunities for subspecialties and competitive specialties, and is more likely to put you straight through to residency. If you don't mind the possibility of doing a battalion surgeon tour and know there's a good possibility you might want a subspecialty, the Army is probably a better bet. The AF has the smallest GME of the three branches; the Navy is much more likely to send you to a GMO tour if you want a competitive specialty, but there are no such things as battalion surgeon tours (i.e., you won't be pulled from your specialty to do primary care with a battalion). They all have pluses or minuses. I'm obviously biased to the Navy, but I know happy docs in the Army and AF and have met dissatisfied docs in all three. It just comes down to knowing what you're getting yourself into and making the best of what you get.

Putting no preference shouldn't hurt you as long as you're really okay with doing any branch.

MillertimeUSNA and MadDoc21 like this.
  20. lumya

Pre-Medical
    I have no prior service so I was also stumped on which branch to put. I asked a lot of current students that I met there and even my interviewer for advice. My interviewer told me that there are some people with a long family history or have a personal experience that makes the decision for them. For others, you might just like an arbitrary thing (i.e. this branch’s uniform looks cool or you like a specific base) and start to justify that choice. Overall, I don’t think they are really offended either way if you don’t have a strong preference. But given the way they do the waitlist system, I’ve heard that the Army wait list moves the fastest of the three branches.

MadDoc21 likes this.
  21. BunsenBeaker

As a person with plenty of prior service, If I were reviewing this page of someone's app, I'd be more likely to interpret checking "no preference" as saying "I really just want to go to USUHS and/or serve my country" rather than "IDC."

If USUHS is your top choice (or one of them), I'd either rack and stack your preferences if you had them and justify them in the comment box, or say no preference. This is what I would do if I weren't prior service. I think I'd get more questions about it if I didn't just put my current branch. Also, sounds kind of dumb, but I feel like I would look like a bonehead trying to figure out uniforms from another service after this many years wearing the one I'm used to.

One last parting thought.... If you do want to rack and stack branch preferences, you may want to look up the places you may be stationed. Air Force bases are often in places where you won't find Navy bases, etc. etc. Maybe google a map of AF bases, Army posts, Navy bases... for both CONUS and OCONUS.

MadDoc21 likes this.
  22. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Also keep in mind that while many Navy bases are in awesome locations, there are some that are not. You can also get stationed at marine corps bases.

23. BunsenBeaker

Excellent point. Definitely don't let the really Gucci locations distract you from what the average is. There are uncool places in all services, definitely think about the span of the places you could end up.

24. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Yep. Although personally I think the Navy has a larger portion of Gucci locations lol. I just don’t want people to think they’re all Gucci.

BunsenBeaker likes this.
  25. RockPaperScissorShoot

Building on what everyone else has said about choosing a branch, I used the MedicineandtheMilitary website to help me decide my preferences.

Map of the base locations: Military Medical Facilities Map
    Which medical specialty each branch may need: Medical Specialties + Roles

Honestly it seems like there is no real wrong decisions as long as you want to go into military medicine.

MadDoc21 and BunsenBeaker like this.
  26. Belljarofbees

Can anyone clarify the timeline leading up to officer training? I understand civilians are commissioned, take the oath, etc. before going to BOLC. Are there commissioning ceremonies or certain events we have to attend beforehand? Can family be present for the oath?
    I have some family in the Army but I’m not sure how it works for USUHS.

27. BunsenBeaker

You know, I had been thinking about how mid-August seemed late as a start date (MSAR says 14 Aug is when USUHS starts class), but I guess it's because OTS/BOLC/whatever happens before then. I haven't seen specific timelines, but will see if I can get gouge on that during interview day. I'm sure that unless your oath is randomly done in a cruddy Vietnam era tent in the middle of your officer training program, your family can go and they'll make sure it's at a time/place that they can all go and take pictures and be proud of you. Commissioning/promotion is a very special time, so it's always appropriate to make it accessible to family. If you have family in the Army that served as officers, you might even be able to get them to swear you in (not sure about WO's though).

Belljarofbees likes this.
  28. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Orientation starts August 1. Or at least it did this year. I'm not sure how they do it for civilians commissioning, but when I took the oath of enlistment it was at the MEPS station, and my family was there. We're active duty, so we will be doing a commissioning ceremony a week or so before we go off to ODS. The ODS/COT/BOLC dates overlap. There is also some talk about the Army and AF changing some stuff up, but I'm not really in the know there. ODS has dates in June and July. Our folks go off in the first week of June.

29. BunsenBeaker

Eyyy to starting that butterbar pay in June.

Matthew9Thirtyfive likes this.
  30. RockPaperScissorShoot

Does USU send an e-mail for either waitlist or rejection? Or do they do snailmail for both?

31. El alfil

Still nothing. You?

32. snowcrawler85

snowcrawler85 Accepted! Class of 2023

Were you able to interview being out of body composition parameters?

So if I pass physical except body weight/compositions I have till Feb to reach that goal?

33. lumya

Pre-Medical
    I did my physical the day before my interview and some people I interviewed with hadn’t done it yet. So your physical results don’t impact whether or not you get an interview. If after you interview and your physical results come back that you weren’t within their parameters you’ll be given a conditional acceptance until you either remedy the issue or get a waiver.

34. El alfil

I just got qualified by DoDmerb last night. About time. Interviewed Oct 4. I was given an interview notice late in the game so I had to scramble to schedule my physical as soon as possible. I’ve still heard nothing, so either snail mail is on the way with a rejection or they were waiting on my result. Anyone gotten accepted/waitlisted without first being qualified on DoDmerb?

35. Msimas

I got accepted 10/15 and DoDMERB qualified 11/15

36. RockPaperScissorShoot

I think things are just slower this cycle. It is likely that people that interviewed in October will need to wait 6-8 weeks before hearing back for anything. I have absolute faith that the USU adcom are working as fast as they can, but this cycle just seems slower overall.

Edit: That being said, I am also anxious for my own results from USU!

#686 RockPaperScissorShoot, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  37. BunsenBeaker

Agree.. this cycle seems super slow in general. It's actually made me feel a little better considering I didn't even submit my AMCAS primary until well after 1 June...

MillertimeUSNA likes this.
  38. It’s Levi0sa

Medical Student
    First year student (Air Force). I was accepted an April and was sent directions for my oath the next week. There is no organized commissioning ceremony for those coming straight from civilian life. I took my oath in May at a bank (looking back, I would recommend something more exciting but I was running short on time). Started COT at the end of June and then moved to DC 1 Aug for orientation. Army and Navy have their training a few weeks earlier than us, but I couldn't say exact dates. You'll get instructions for what needs to get done once you get your unconditional acceptance and orders. To give you an idea, our orders didn't make it out until early June. Welcome to the "hurry up and wait" that is the military. Other than second look, there is no USU organized activities until MS1 orientation in August.

39. El alfil

Rejected today by snail mail. I’ll be trying to set up a phone call to Dr. Saguil to see where I may have slipped. Good luck to you all!

40. runner12345

Received my unconditional in the mail earlier this week - be on the lookout if you've completed your physical/security requirements!

41. peanutbuttercup24

Anyone else interview 10/18 and not hear back yet?

RockPaperScissorShoot likes this.
  42. TybeeRagnar

I interviewed 10/18 and am still waiting to hear as well.

43. NakMuay33

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone expect more IIs to come out from USUHS?

Killakait likes this.
  44. RockPaperScissorShoot

Sorry to hear that, best of luck to you during the rest of the application cycle!

45. BunsenBeaker

I'm sure there will be more. The latest interview date I've heard of is in January, but their MSAR says they send interview invites into December, so that's probably when they'll send all the CY 2019 invites.

46. Mochilazo

Got the unconditional today!!!

47. TybeeRagnar

Congrats! when did you interview?

48. Mochilazo

I interviewed 9/20, got my conditional acceptance on 10/15

TybeeRagnar likes this.
  49. Gastrapathy

Gastrapathy no longer apathetic
    Physician Lifetime Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I hope y’all follow the milmed forum. There’s (drastic?) changes afoot in military medicine and even the rosiest folks say GME will be reduced. You aren’t just choosing USUHS...

50. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Just saw the POM20 thread. Not a great sign if you want any IM or peds subspecialty.