2018-2019 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I am having a hard time filling out my branch preference sheet. Is there a detriment to putting no preference? I see good qualities in all of the branches and I would be honored to join any but would that reflect as apathetic? Also does your desired specialty play in to which branch you should join? I would appreciate all of your thoughts!

The Army has more opportunities for subspecialties and competitive specialties, and is more likely to put you straight through to residency. If you don't mind the possibility of doing a battalion surgeon tour and know there's a good possibility you might want a subspecialty, the Army is probably a better bet. The AF has the smallest GME of the three branches; the Navy is much more likely to send you to a GMO tour if you want a competitive specialty, but there are no such things as battalion surgeon tours (i.e., you won't be pulled from your specialty to do primary care with a battalion). They all have pluses or minuses. I'm obviously biased to the Navy, but I know happy docs in the Army and AF and have met dissatisfied docs in all three. It just comes down to knowing what you're getting yourself into and making the best of what you get.

Putting no preference shouldn't hurt you as long as you're really okay with doing any branch.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So I am having a hard time filling out my branch preference sheet. Is there a detriment to putting no preference? I see good qualities in all of the branches and I would be honored to join any but would that reflect as apathetic? Also does your desired specialty play in to which branch you should join? I would appreciate all of your thoughts!
I have no prior service so I was also stumped on which branch to put. I asked a lot of current students that I met there and even my interviewer for advice. My interviewer told me that there are some people with a long family history or have a personal experience that makes the decision for them. For others, you might just like an arbitrary thing (i.e. this branch’s uniform looks cool or you like a specific base) and start to justify that choice. Overall, I don’t think they are really offended either way if you don’t have a strong preference. But given the way they do the waitlist system, I’ve heard that the Army wait list moves the fastest of the three branches.

Reactions: 1 user

As a person with plenty of prior service, If I were reviewing this page of someone's app, I'd be more likely to interpret checking "no preference" as saying "I really just want to go to USUHS and/or serve my country" rather than "IDC."

If USUHS is your top choice (or one of them), I'd either rack and stack your preferences if you had them and justify them in the comment box, or say no preference. This is what I would do if I weren't prior service. I think I'd get more questions about it if I didn't just put my current branch. Also, sounds kind of dumb, but I feel like I would look like a bonehead trying to figure out uniforms from another service after this many years wearing the one I'm used to.

One last parting thought.... If you do want to rack and stack branch preferences, you may want to look up the places you may be stationed. Air Force bases are often in places where you won't find Navy bases, etc. etc. Maybe google a map of AF bases, Army posts, Navy bases... for both CONUS and OCONUS.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a person with plenty of prior service, If I were reviewing this page of someone's app, I'd be more likely to interpret checking "no preference" as saying "I really just want to go to USUHS and/or serve my country" rather than "IDC."

If USUHS is your top choice (or one of them), I'd either rack and stack your preferences if you had them and justify them in the comment box, or say no preference. This is what I would do if I weren't prior service. I think I'd get more questions about it if I didn't just put my current branch. Also, sounds kind of dumb, but I feel like I would look like a bonehead trying to figure out uniforms from another service after this many years wearing the one I'm used to.

One last parting thought.... If you do want to rack and stack branch preferences, you may want to look up the places you may be stationed. Air Force bases are often in places where you won't find Navy bases, etc. etc. Maybe google a map of AF bases, Army posts, Navy bases... for both CONUS and OCONUS.

Also keep in mind that while many Navy bases are in awesome locations, there are some that are not. You can also get stationed at marine corps bases.

Reactions: 2 users
Also keep in mind that while many Navy bases are in awesome locations, there are some that are not. You can also get stationed at marine corps bases.

Excellent point. Definitely don't let the really Gucci locations distract you from what the average is. There are uncool places in all services, definitely think about the span of the places you could end up.

Excellent point. Definitely don't let the really Gucci locations distract you from what the average is. There are uncool places in all services, definitely think about the span of the places you could end up.

Yep. Although personally I think the Navy has a larger portion of Gucci locations lol. I just don’t want people to think they’re all Gucci.

Building on what everyone else has said about choosing a branch, I used the MedicineandtheMilitary website to help me decide my preferences.

Map of the base locations: Military Medical Facilities Map
Which medical specialty each branch may need: Medical Specialties + Roles

Honestly it seems like there is no real wrong decisions as long as you want to go into military medicine.

Can anyone clarify the timeline leading up to officer training? I understand civilians are commissioned, take the oath, etc. before going to BOLC. Are there commissioning ceremonies or certain events we have to attend beforehand? Can family be present for the oath?
I have some family in the Army but I’m not sure how it works for USUHS.

Can anyone clarify the timeline leading up to officer training? I understand civilians are commissioned, take the oath, etc. before going to BOLC. Are there commissioning ceremonies or certain events we have to attend beforehand? Can family be present for the oath?

You know, I had been thinking about how mid-August seemed late as a start date (MSAR says 14 Aug is when USUHS starts class), but I guess it's because OTS/BOLC/whatever happens before then. I haven't seen specific timelines, but will see if I can get gouge on that during interview day. I'm sure that unless your oath is randomly done in a cruddy Vietnam era tent in the middle of your officer training program, your family can go and they'll make sure it's at a time/place that they can all go and take pictures and be proud of you. Commissioning/promotion is a very special time, so it's always appropriate to make it accessible to family. If you have family in the Army that served as officers, you might even be able to get them to swear you in (not sure about WO's though).

You know, I had been thinking about how mid-August seemed late as a start date (MSAR says 14 Aug is when USUHS starts class), but I guess it's because OTS/BOLC/whatever happens before then. I haven't seen specific timelines, but will see if I can get gouge on that during interview day. I'm sure that unless your oath is randomly done in a cruddy Vietnam era tent in the middle of your officer training program, your family can go and they'll make sure it's at a time/place that they can all go and take pictures and be proud of you. Commissioning/promotion is a very special time, so it's always appropriate to make it accessible to family. If you have family in the Army that served as officers, you might even be able to get them to swear you in (not sure about WO's though).

Orientation starts August 1. Or at least it did this year. I'm not sure how they do it for civilians commissioning, but when I took the oath of enlistment it was at the MEPS station, and my family was there. We're active duty, so we will be doing a commissioning ceremony a week or so before we go off to ODS. The ODS/COT/BOLC dates overlap. There is also some talk about the Army and AF changing some stuff up, but I'm not really in the know there. ODS has dates in June and July. Our folks go off in the first week of June.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I am a bit late to the party but I do have some info directly from Wilsnack! So I was over weight for my physical (recently turned 21, alooooot of liquid calories gained), and was sent an email about getting a body composition exam. Once you receive this email, you have until the end of Feburary to send in a passed exam (be under the required body fat percentage for your height, age, and gender). If you cannot get under by that time, you will have to start having “serious conversations” with Wilsnack in March.

Were you able to interview being out of body composition parameters?

So if I pass physical except body weight/compositions I have till Feb to reach that goal?

Were you able to interview being out of body composition parameters?

So if I pass physical except body weight/compositions I have till Feb to reach that goal?
I did my physical the day before my interview and some people I interviewed with hadn’t done it yet. So your physical results don’t impact whether or not you get an interview. If after you interview and your physical results come back that you weren’t within their parameters you’ll be given a conditional acceptance until you either remedy the issue or get a waiver.

I just got qualified by DoDmerb last night. About time. Interviewed Oct 4. I was given an interview notice late in the game so I had to scramble to schedule my physical as soon as possible. I’ve still heard nothing, so either snail mail is on the way with a rejection or they were waiting on my result. Anyone gotten accepted/waitlisted without first being qualified on DoDmerb?

I just got qualified by DoDmerb last night. About time. Interviewed Oct 4. I was given an interview notice late in the game so I had to scramble to schedule my physical as soon as possible. I’ve still heard nothing, so either snail mail is on the way with a rejection or they were waiting on my result. Anyone gotten accepted/waitlisted without first being qualified on DoDmerb?
I got accepted 10/15 and DoDMERB qualified 11/15

Reactions: 2 users

I think things are just slower this cycle. It is likely that people that interviewed in October will need to wait 6-8 weeks before hearing back for anything. I have absolute faith that the USU adcom are working as fast as they can, but this cycle just seems slower overall.

Edit: That being said, I am also anxious for my own results from USU!

Last edited:
I think things are just slower this cycle. It is likely that people that interviewed in October will need to wait 6-8 weeks before hearing back for anything. I have absolute faith that the USU adcom are working as fast as they can, but this cycle just seems slower overall.

Edit: That being said, I am also anxious for my own results from USU!
Agree.. this cycle seems super slow in general. It's actually made me feel a little better considering I didn't even submit my AMCAS primary until well after 1 June...

First year student (Air Force). I was accepted an April and was sent directions for my oath the next week. There is no organized commissioning ceremony for those coming straight from civilian life. I took my oath in May at a bank (looking back, I would recommend something more exciting but I was running short on time). Started COT at the end of June and then moved to DC 1 Aug for orientation. Army and Navy have their training a few weeks earlier than us, but I couldn't say exact dates. You'll get instructions for what needs to get done once you get your unconditional acceptance and orders. To give you an idea, our orders didn't make it out until early June. Welcome to the "hurry up and wait" that is the military. Other than second look, there is no USU organized activities until MS1 orientation in August.

Rejected today by snail mail. I’ll be trying to set up a phone call to Dr. Saguil to see where I may have slipped. Good luck to you all!

Received my unconditional in the mail earlier this week - be on the lookout if you've completed your physical/security requirements!

Does anyone expect more IIs to come out from USUHS?

Does anyone expect more IIs to come out from USUHS?

I'm sure there will be more. The latest interview date I've heard of is in January, but their MSAR says they send interview invites into December, so that's probably when they'll send all the CY 2019 invites.

I hope y’all follow the milmed forum. There’s (drastic?) changes afoot in military medicine and even the rosiest folks say GME will be reduced. You aren’t just choosing USUHS...

I hope y’all follow the milmed forum. There’s (drastic?) changes afoot in military medicine and even the rosiest folks say GME will be reduced. You aren’t just choosing USUHS...

Just saw the POM20 thread. Not a great sign if you want any IM or peds subspecialty.

Top of the military medicine forum. Hard to know what it means but the billet reductions, if they happen, will land right when you enter GME.
Do you think these cuts will be Navy specific? Or will it spill over to other branches?

I'm not sure if this was asked earlier, but when filling out the ranking sheet should we write personal comments?

Are we able to take our suitcases on interview day?

Are we able to take our suitcases on interview day?

Yes, they let you know that there is a place in the Admissions office to leave bags and coats behind while you go on the tour, etc. Just be sure to keep your ID and interview papers on your person of course.

Accepted 11/21, interviewed 10/18. Go Navy beat Army!!

Reactions: 10 users
R this morning, pre-II complete mid Sept. it was a long shot, my stats were below average, but best of luck to you all!

Has anyone else had any trouble sending the security clearance since SAFE appears to be down?

Has anyone else had any trouble sending the security clearance since SAFE appears to be down?

I got this from their security team:

"Please use ADOBE to protect, encrypt the document. You can also use any encryption software you prefer. If all else fails please just bring a copy of your forms, passport of birth certificate on interview day. Thank you "

Also for everyone's SA, there is a delay in applicants being uploaded to DoDMERB so if you are like myself and have yet to be able to login don't sweat it.

Last edited:
Am I pretty much down for the count if I was put on pre-interview hold and have not heard anything by now?

Am I pretty much down for the count if I was put on pre-interview hold and have not heard anything by now?
I don’t think so. The last interview day on the schedule is Jan 10th. This invite for me seems really last minute, so I wouldn’t give up hope here until after Christmas.

I don’t think so. The last interview day on the schedule is Jan 10th. This invite for me seems really last minute, so I wouldn’t give up hope here until after Christmas.

This is good to hear because I too was put on an interview hold Oct 16th and still haven't heard anything. The hold email said interviews go through February, but their website says the last interview is January 10th. Does anyone know if they they have additional dates for people to interview for the waitlist?