Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. AFMKM94

What's second look?

2. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive Class of 2023!
    Moderator Verified Expert 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Basically you go get another tour of the school and they try to convince you to go. A lot of schools have them. Some don't.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    AFMKM94 likes this.
  3. Vladimir7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah tbh I’m trying not to get my hopes up. I understand that my chances are much higher now but I could still get flat out denied. Ive been doing research on the different branches, why serve, why serve as a doctor, usuhs. Heck ive even looked into the whole walter reed army into combined tri-service conversion thing.

From the interview feedback forum though, it seems like the school admin os pretty laid back, as is the interview itself. So im less worried than I would be otherwise. Like at *cough* georgetown *cough*..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Oh yeah you should definitely be relaxed. The interview day is very stress free.

5. Msimas

oh my goodness do not be worried at all. The interview was like hanging out with a friend you havent seen in ages. USUHS does such a good job of making everyone feel welcome!

darwinsfinchbird likes this.
  6. MadDoc21

Pre-Medical
    It has not been even two weeks yet since my interview and I am already dying of anticipation!

NakMuay33, Vladimir7, lumya and 2 others like this.
  7. AFMKM94

I feel the same exact way. Ive been checking this forum multiple times a day waiting for people to post their acceptances or denials form the 11/1 interview!

#757 AFMKM94, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    MadDoc21 likes this.
  8. A_Good_Sword

Pre-Medical
    Hello all! New user here. Has anyone heard back (either II or rejection) from the dreaded "hold" email that was sent out? Would now (being mid-December) be a good time to send in an update letter to the school?

csg08 and AFMKM94 like this.
  9. Vladimir7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Which Hold email? The one sent on 11/30?

10. A_Good_Sword

Pre-Medical
    It is the "... We are pleased to report that your application has been reviewed, and that the Admissions Committee is favorably disposed to you through the information that you have provided us. The Committee would like to see more of the applying class before making a final decision on whether to offer you an Interview, this enables us to see more of the applying pool and the experiences and attributes they have to offer...." email (post-secondary application submission).

I received it on 10/16.

csg08 likes this.
  11. Vladimir7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Oh. I received mine on 11/30 and my II on 12/7 was hella surprised, since the email says they review monthly usually

12. chocolatebear94

Currently going through the Medical Waiver process for my shoulder and flat feet, ,Jennifer Wilsnack said it shouldn't be an issue to get the waivers. Is anyone else having to get Medical waivers or know if there's any correlation between being cleared medically and getting accepted? By that I just mean timeline wise and hearing back from the school

#762 chocolatebear94, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  13. adventurousapollo

Pre-Medical
    I also received an II after receiving this notification

14. Msimas

I think they’re independent. I was accepted a month before I was cleared.

chocolatebear94 likes this.
  15. chocolatebear94

Gotcha that's what I thought but figured I'd just check

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

16. jchung1130

jchung1130 jchung
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

They are not entirely independent. You will receive a "Conditional Acceptance" that is your initial acceptance into USUHS. When you receive this letter, there will be a stipulation that you are required to receive approval from the DoDMERB process and security clearance for your SF86 (Secret clearance that all Officers are required to have). Once approved for both of these additional requirements, you will receive an "Unconditional Acceptance" meaning you are officially accepted. You will not receive an "Unconditional" until you get approval for both.

Hope this helps and good luck!

chocolatebear94 likes this.
  17. Msimas

100%, I had meant that initial acceptance, my mistake!

18. csg08

Pre-Medical
    I've been on hold since 10/16 and have not heard anything.

19. AFMKM94

I received a letter placing me as an alternate. I read the guidelines however this is still confusing. I'm also waiting for a waiver on a preexisting heart condition. Ive never seen anyone on this forum placed as an alternate. Please help!!

20. AFMKM94

I just got an alternate today as well. Can you share what happened in your situation?

21. Vladimir7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What is this “alternate” list?? Same as waitlist?

22. lumya

Pre-Medical
    Vladimir7 likes this.
  23. Vladimir7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    " An area of concern" ...Goodness, now I'm panicking pre-interview date. Well thanks.

24. NakMuay33

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What is there to panic about? Take a deep breath, friend.

25. USAF_MBtheMD

Got the call today from the legendary Col Saguil. Truly honored to be part of his last round of calls! Since I have pulled some useful tidbits from these forums over the past years, the least I can do is give back... Figured I'd go ahead and create an account for it. I don't have much to offer at this point, but something is better than nothing, even if only a note of inspiration for some out there who may feel self-conscious about their numbers.

My initial academic credentials are not that impressive... bare minimum GPA and below average MCAT score for matriculates here. I surmise that I got in as a non-trad due to my back-end hustle and the writing skills the military has taught me in order to tell the story properly. So, if you don't have perfect scores across the board... relax. Put in the hard work and you can still be in good position! :)

Reviewing the past few USUHS message boards I have a guess what some folks are gonna ask so I've included that here for future reference:

Scores - MCAT: 507 (125 Chem, 129 CARS, 125 Bio, 128 Psy), Undergrad GPA: 3.29 (2.75 sci), Post-Bac GPA: 3.89 (3.88 sci), Total GPA: 3.35 (3.57 Sci), Post Graduate MBA: 3.93.

Timeline - AMCAS Submission: 17 June 2018, Secondary Requested: 2 July 2018, Secondary Completed: 15 July 2018, AMCAS Processed: 18 July 2018, Application Completed: 29 August 2018 (This was probably delayed by an unsigned LOR that was sent in), Prerequisite Request: 29 August 2018, II Invite: 26 September 2018, Interview Date: 1 November 2018 , Acceptance Call: 18 December 2018.

Military Service - Current Active Duty E-6, USAF.

Supplemental Material - 7 LORs (3 academic, 2 military supervisors, 1 community service leader in hospice field, 1 military physician from shadowing), Filled ECs with diverse life experiences that meshed well with what I interpreted the school's values to be.

My biggest issue throughout the whole process (pre and post application) has been bureaucracy. I missed the EMDP2 three times because of it and almost my chance at acceptance here because AFPC denied my initial request for the required LOA/LOR (Letter of Approval to Apply / Letter of Release). Thankfully, I had some guardian angels up in leadership looking out, but only because they knew what I have been trying to do for years. Fellow enlisted folks in tight career fields... it is VERY important that you impress and INFORM your leadership; then setup to play the long game. Persistence and resilience are key. It's been a long five years of rejection and disappointment... I have faith most of you can beat that, though. :)

Feel free to PM me with questions concerning the process for enlisted USAF applicants. It can be confusing and frustrating at times. I kept all my MFR templates which may or may not still be good for a few more years. Or contact me for anything else, really... I'm more than happy to share my story, struggles, and successes with any hopeful if it helps.

Best of luck to all remaining applicants in this cycle and any future members (or lurkers like myself) digging through this archive for information.

26. NakMuay33

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Congrats on your acceptance and kudos on your perseverance through the bureaucratic hiccups! Thank you for sharing all of your details, as it will be very helpful for other applicants. :)

MadDoc21 likes this.
  27. TheStudyOfLife

2+ Year Member

I recently received an interview invite for 1/17, do you believe this could be strictly for the waitlist?

dreamyrnb likes this.
  28. dreamyrnb

Pre-Medical
    curious to know the answer to this as well! I think they just added this date

29. Matthew9Thirtyfive

You’re never interviewing strictly for the waitlist. If you really impress the committee, you will get in.

NakMuay33 and dreamyrnb like this.
  30. Vladimir7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Wow congrats man!! Sounds like you went through hell of a journey.

Tbh though I was initially very inspired by your MCATs and getting in.. then I saw post bacc and masters and not only that but you aced them. On top of that you had a significant number of LORs, and prior military service. You might as well be AOA with high honors now lol. I am now quasi-inspired.

31. TheStudyOfLife

2+ Year Member

Thanks for your reply. So excited for this opportunity.

dreamyrnb, svantovid and NakMuay33 like this.
  32. MadDoc21

Pre-Medical
    Anyone else get calls or letters this week?

33. dreamyrnb

Pre-Medical
    are the PHS spots likely filled at this point?

34. Matthew9Thirtyfive

The PHS is very small, so it is likely that they have selected their 2 students.

dreamyrnb likes this.
  35. coys784

Pre-Medical
    Should I send an updated transcript directly to USUHS or through AMCAS?

36. Matthew9Thirtyfive

As far as I know, you cannot send them through amcas anyway. But regardless, send them to your admissions counselor then shoot her an email to give her a heads up.

coys784 likes this.
  37. lumya

Pre-Medical
    I sent them to the admissions counselor assigned to me by last name and she added it to my file.

coys784 likes this.
  38. Vladimir7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey need some transportation advice here. For those who have interviewed or have been to USUHS, how did you get there?

I plan on flying in the day before and spending a night at the school. On the interview feedback thing, one of the responses said to go for Reagan airport specifically, but does it really matter? All three airports (Dulles, Washington, Reagan) are about ~30 mins driving and 1hr + bus/metro to USUHS.

39. lumya

Pre-Medical
    I flew into Dulles the day before and stayed in a hotel near DuPont circle. I took an Uber from the airport to my hotel and then the metro to my interview the next morning. DC’s metro system is pretty on time so as long as you know the route and plan accordingly it won’t matter which airport you fly into or where you stay.

Vladimir7 likes this.
  40. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Give yourself extra time with the metro. The first time I used it, it broke down and I got stuck between stops for a bit. I was on my way to check in, so I got to sit there in my blues. Fun.

I like the plan though. If you stay near DuPont circle, @Vladimir7 , there is an amazing Italian restaurant right there called La Tomate. The spinach ravioli is awesome.

Vladimir7 likes this.
  41. Vladimir7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the tips guys!! Super stoked!

42. MadDoc21

Pre-Medical
    Happy New Year everyone! 2019 is the year we get accepted to medical school!

43. wasabisnortingwalruses

Is it normal for it to take a while for conditional acceptances to convert to unconditional acceptances? I submitted my tape test about a little over a month ago, and my DoDMERB status says qualified.

44. Msimas

Totally normal! Especially with the holidays

45. wasabisnortingwalruses

Sweet, thanks! Was worried that I might have missed something in the mail. Guess I better learn to "hurry up and wait" :whistle:

46. lumya

Pre-Medical
    If I needed to be taped they would’ve had it in my remedials, correct? I got the remedials I expected but I was like 2 pounds over so I didn’t know if I would have to get taped or if they just attributed it to the fact I had my physical after Thanksgiving.

47. wasabisnortingwalruses

I received an email from Ms. Wilsnack a couple months ago to get a tape test done. I'm guessing she'll be the one who'll contact you if you happen to need one.

48. daw05

Officially rejected today. I have to say, I'm really, really puzzled. I'm not complaining, I'm blessed to have an acceptance at an excellent school, but 6 months ago I would have bet anything that I was headed to USUHS. Such is life. Best of luck to all of you!

49. Cyclophage

Pre-Medical
    Well everyone, finally got my ejection email from USUHS today and it doesn't appear as if I'm getting an interview anywhere else, either, so I'm headed back into the Army to be a pilot instead.

Best of luck to you all in your various branches of service and endeavors in life.

50. Svk1

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back about a decision?