Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. chocolatebear94

depends on when you interview this is the guidance I got in an email with my interview information:
    Response Times
    DO NOT CALL THE OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS AFTER YOUR INTERVIEW TO CHECK YOUR APPLICATION STATUS. We will NOT give you your status over the phone if you call. Please use the following as a general guideline regarding response times from the Admissions Committee. These time frames will be lengthened if you are taking fall classes, did not secure a Letter of Approval, or any other extenuating circumstance.

If you interview in September/October, you MAY hear a response in four to six weeks.
    If you interview in November/December, you MAY hear a response six to eight weeks.
    If you interview in January, you MAY hear a response in eight to ten weeks.
    If you interview in February or thereafter, you MAY hear a response in ten or more weeks.

I interviewed on November 8th, so I'm gonna be hitting the 8 week mark this week, I'll keep the forum posted if I hear something.

MadDoc21 likes this.
  2. Svk1

Thank you!

3. csg08

Pre-Medical
    Is this school still giving out II?

4. lumya

Pre-Medical
    I think the last interview of this cycle is January 17th. It wasn’t on their original list of dates so I’m not really sure if they’re going to add more dates.

NakMuay33 likes this.
  5. Vladimir7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    No they update the II dates list regularly. They will have interviews in February and potentially onward.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. chocolatebear94

Just received my call from Col. Saguil to let me know I have been accepted for ARMY class of 2023. BEYOND HAPPY right now. Thank you SDN I will post a full description of myself/application on this forum to try and pave it forward. sdn has helped me out alot so I hope to do the same for others. Good luck everyone!! I interviewed Nov. 6

#806 chocolatebear94, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  7. lumya

Pre-Medical
    Congrats!!!

chocolatebear94 likes this.
  8. chocolatebear94

Hi all so as promised, here is the breakdown of my credentials and some info Col. Saguil shared with me about why I was accepted, if any of you have any questions that aren’t covered in this break down feel free to message me:

Undergraduate
    Case Western Reserve University Class of 2016
    Medical Anthropology with Minor in Chemistry
    cGPA: 3.506 sGPA: 3.25

Extracurriculars:
    Clinical/Shadowing Hours during college: 200 hours
    Research hours: ~200 hours
    Community service/volunteer hours: 1500 (established and ran local chapter of Camp Kesem for 3 years which took a large chunk of my time)

MCAT: 513 (128 chem, 129 CARS, 128 Bio, 128 Phys)

Post Graduation:

Served in the Gambia as a Peace Corps Health Extension Volunteer from October 2016 to February 2018. Was supposed to serve until December 2018 but had to be med evac'd back to states for shoulder reconstructive surgery. Long but funny story.

Clinical experience: OVER 9000. (But actually, lot of clinical work, community development, and public health work during my service)

Current Employment: Work as a Social Worker and Case Manager that works in community development and case management for the Near East Side of Columbus Ohio, community that was hit hard from the crack epidemic of the 90s.

Military Service: I have no prior military service but come from a long line of family that has served.

What to take away from my experience?: Don’t sell yourself short just because you may not have good grades or a lot of familiarity with the military. Understand your own motivations to serve in the military and express them both with your work and your interview. When Col. Saguil spoke to me, he told me that the biggest thing that stood out in my application and a big reason of why I was accepted was my commitment to service in my community and experience doing it for “my country” as a peace corps volunteer (side note: I appreciate that he phrased it that way but I still feel serving your country in the military is different than joining the PEACE corps). He said: “commitment to service is not something that you can fake”. This to me is what I think this school wants to see out of all the people who apply to the school, especially those who don’t have military service. There’s a lot of highs that come with military service but also a lot of lows and trade-offs when it comes to flexibility and what you are or are not allowed to do. Having a clear understanding of this is what I feel will allow you to understand what it means to attend the school, but also understand what your future as a physician will look like.

As you can see my grades were never that great because I was an idiot in undergrad and didn’t take it as seriously as I should have, but I took the MCAT after I graduated, before I left for the peace corps, used it as an indicator of whether or not I could actually keep up with the material in med school, and then used the Peace Corps as a time to really understand why I want to work in global health as a physician and also what my personal motivations for service are. Some interview questions that I received were: Because you can serve your country, and your community in many ways. But why do you want to serve? Why do you want to serve through medicine? Why do you want to work specifically as a military physician and serve? Having a good understanding for my own personal reasons and my track record of service are what I believe helped me get into the school.

If there are any questions that I haven’t answered feel free to ask or PM me and I’ll definitely try to respond. Have a great day y’all, done with the rant.

9. lumya

Pre-Medical
    Columbus, Ohio represent! I work at OSU, mainly at East. I interviewed a week after you and there was someone else in my group from Columbus.

Congrats once again on your acceptance. Your Peace Corp experience sounds amazing and it really aided you in your acceptance.

10. stevejohnson543215321

MDApps:
    MDApps:
  11. BunsenBeaker

Any current students care to share how they feel about Step 1 being taken during January of M3 year instead of Spring of M2? Does it really matter any particular way? I can think of pros (longer to prepare, clerkship experience might help?) and cons (I don't know of any other schools that do it this way... Does this give enough time to choose what specialty/ies you're thinking of and the feasibility of that wrt your Step 1 score?), but I'm interested in any other thoughts that I'm missing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. jcrane92

Pre-Medical
    It’s been one day since my interview... can I get a decision yet?!?! Lol. *2 month long drum roll*

13. BunsenBeaker

Really though.

Dr. Saguil, plz call me haha

@jcrane92 is 2 months how long they said it'd be? I didn't catch that on interview day. Yikes.

Vladimir7 likes this.
  14. lumya

Pre-Medical
    I interviewed November 15th so here’s hoping I get a call next week!

BunsenBeaker and Vladimir7 like this.
  15. jcrane92

Pre-Medical
    That’s what this thread has been saying. Good luck!

16. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Matthew9Thirtyfive Class of 2023!
    Moderator Verified Expert 2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    He told us last time we met with him that folks who interviewed in January likely wouldn't hear until March.

17. NakMuay33

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am not trying to be a spoilsport, but I am getting a feeling there may be delays in notifications on acceptances, etc due to the government shut down. If anyone does get notified between now and when the shutdown ends (hopefully very soon!), please post on here so we know. If you are waiting for a call/letter and it is "overdue" based on your interview date; do not fret and just write your representative!

18. Matthew9Thirtyfive

The military is funded through the year, so the military faculty and board members will still be there, including Dr. Saguil. However, you make a good point. I don't know if the board will still be meeting since I don't know what percentage is made of non-military members.

19. chocolatebear94

Does anyone here know how much the monthly base allowance and housing allowance is roughly? I know I'm getting ahead of myself but I wanted to try and start looking at apartments in the area and figure out pricing and moving slowly

20. NakMuay33

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There is conflicting information on the USU official facebook page:

"In accordance with Office of Personnel Management (OPM) guidance that FEDERAL OFFICES in the Washington, DC area are CLOSED on 14 Jan 2019, this is to advise you that USU Offices in the Washington, DC area will be CLOSED.

- This means non-emergency and essential personnel (to include all military and civilian students, faculty personnel, and teaching support staff) are not expected to report for work or class unless otherwise authorized.

- Non-emergency and essential employees will be granted excused absence (administrative leave) for the number of hours they were scheduled to work unless they are: 1) required to telework; 2) on official travel outside of the Washington, DC, area; 3) on pre-approved leave (including leave without pay); or 4) on an alternative work schedule (AWS) day off.

- Employees scheduled to telework today (14 Jan) are expected to report for work on time and must telework the entire workday or request leave (or a combination of both) unless the telework site is affected by the weather conditions or an emergency.

- Employees designated as emergency personnel are expected to report for work on time unless otherwise authorized.

Stay warm!"

21. runner12345

This is due to inclement weather! There was a lot of snow in Bethesda over the weekend.

Matthew9Thirtyfive and NakMuay33 like this.
  22. runner12345

Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) is approximately $2200 per month, without dependents, I believe.

23. NakMuay33

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That is awesome news! :)

24. Matthew9Thirtyfive

We got a foot of snow, so they closed the campus. It’s been running otherwise.

Edit: I see I was scooped!

NakMuay33 and militaryPHYS like this.
  25. Matthew9Thirtyfive

If you have less than 4 years of prior service, it is $2175/month for 2019 without dependents and $2544/month with dependents.

If you have at least 4 years and a day of prior service, it is $2535/month without dependents and $2655/month with dependents.

26. dreamyrnb

Pre-Medical
    how does branch service choice affect acceptance?

27. spinning-leaf

Just received my pre-II rejection. Complete 7/19/18. On hold 10/16/18.

28. runner12345

To my understanding, if you are recommended for acceptance by the Admissions Committee and your first choice branch is full, they may offer you a choice between the wait list and another branch. However, at this point, all three branches are likely full.

29. MadDoc21

Pre-Medical
    Well that’s disheartening.

30. Matthew9Thirtyfive

They actually put you on the waitlist for your primary branch and may offer a spot in another branch if they want you in but it doesn’t look like your primary branch will move enough.

31. AirForceNaz

Pre-Medical
    Do a lot of people decline acceptance/get cold feet? Trying to see what my chances are if I interviewed in December haha. Calls should be coming relatively soon and I’m sweating bricks

32. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Yes. They go through almost all of their waitlist most years.

MadDoc21 and AirForceNaz like this.
  33. BunsenBeaker

Plenty of people don't pass the medical/security clearance stuff, hence why it's a conditional acceptance and not just a "regular" acceptance. At my interview they said that they went through all of the waitlist for 2/3 branches last year. I know Air Force was one where they went through the whole wait list but I can't remember if it was Army or Navy for the other one.

34. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Army. They get more applications for Navy than any other branch and went almost through the whole waitlist but not quite.

35. NakMuay33

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They told us at the interview (December) that we were interviewing for open slots, not the waitlist, so I’m not sure why they would still be interviewing applicants if all positions in the class were full at the moment.

36. Matthew9Thirtyfive

The class is full. USUHS is different from other schools in that they do not outright accept 2-3 times their number of seats. Once the class is full, candidates who do not get a perfect score from the committee but who score high enough to be recommended for acceptance are placed on the priority waitlist. However, those who score at the top still are offered seats since there are a small amount of rotating slots due to people being disqualified or dropping.

As you can see, people have been outright accepted in the last couple months as reported on here despite the class being “full.” So even though all the seats are “taken,” you are still interviewing for a seat and not the waitlist.

Does that make sense?

37. lumya

Pre-Medical
    Congress only gives USU a budget for 171 students. USU is highly motivated to fill all 171 spots because Congressional budgets have a way of being “use it or lose it.” Since they can’t go over 171 but also can’t go under, the school has to interview and keep a long wait list to be able to fill the class exactly.

38. NakMuay33

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for these explanations. One of you does describe the situation that was explained at the interview: if you score 14 or 15 (out of 15), you will be offered a seat (despite the repeated statement above that the class is full). Otherwise, if you score high enough, you will be waitlisted. I appreciate all the information provided by those in the know and who have already been accepted.

39. Matthew9Thirtyfive

The class IS full. They are funded for 171 spots and currently have 171 students accepted into those spots. The reason they can offer 14s and 15s a seat is as I explained: there are 5-10 people every week who are disqualified or withdraw, so they stick the 14s and 15s on the waitlist temporarily until one of those seats opens up, then slide them in. So if you score a 14 or 15, you never even know you were on the waitlist, because it is only for a day or two. Sometimes hours.

So you can 100% still get a seat even though the seats are filled. It is not a normal medical school, and many, many people get disqualified all the time.

MadDoc21 likes this.
  40. TheStudyOfLife

2+ Year Member

Can someone clarify what "14's, or 15's" means? I assume you are referring to the interview scoring? What is the interview scored on?

NakMuay33 likes this.
  41. Matthew9Thirtyfive

It refers to your total score by the committee members. A 15 is perfect.

TheStudyOfLife likes this.
  42. taklus

Any idea what is the interview scored on?

43. d72s466

Just got the call! Accepted Navy!

44. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Basically the same things other schools score you on, plus whether they feel you will adapt to military life and will be able to relate to the patient population.

taklus likes this.
  45. Matthew9Thirtyfive

Congrats! Welcome Aboard, Sailor.

46. FutureDocAZ19

When did you interview?

47. d72s466

November 15th

48. FutureDocAZ19

Awesome! Congrats!!

d72s466 likes this.
  49. Red Lobster Actual

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    MS4 here.

I though it was really nice they did Step 1 after the core clerkships. It really puts into perspective all the information we learned during didactics. Since Step 1 is becoming increasingly clinical this is a natural advantage. The con is that you will lose some basic science details over the course of the year but that should come storming back considering you have 6-7 weeks of studying prior to Step 1. Other con is that you'll have to take Step 2 a few months later after Step 1 hah...haha...that kinda sucked.

By the time your scores come out you should have enough time to schedule your interview rotations and rotations for the rest of the year in preparation for your future wanted specialty (or just rotate on specialties you might never do again!). The typical timeline would be take Step 1 end of January or beginning of February. Scores typically take...a month-ish?...to come out during which you will be doing a month long didactic course called Bench to Bedside and Beyond (aka BBB). During that time period you will also be scheduling your future rotations. So you should be able to get your scores and figure out what rotations you need to do.

Feel free to ask anything else!

BunsenBeaker and svantovid like this.
  50. Vladimir7

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yikes step 1 and 2 back to back. I remember taking the MCAT and was like, I need a break for the next couple months haha. What branch are you? Are you M4 at USU?