2018-2019 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received any additional information since receiving their unconditional acceptance? The letter said they would send a package with information regarding dates and relocating to Bethesda

Same here; I’ve been waiting with my unconditional and haven’t heard anything too. Maybe we have to wait until after waitlists are finalized and students with offers start marking “plan to enroll” choices on AMCAS.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the waiver process is like and how likely it is to get a medical waiver? I had a right shoulder labrum and hill-sachs tear repair done and need a waiver for it. Getting all the documents and doctor's notes ready that state I don't have any physical limitations. Which is true, after recovering and finishing PT, have gone back to working out 7 days a week and slowly doing more body weight pull-ups and other calisthenic exercises. Anyways, I just have seen a full spectrum of answers which were freaking me out and was wondering if anyone here had some insight. Thanks y'all.

Does anyone know what the waiver process is like and how likely it is to get a medical waiver? I had a right shoulder labrum and hill-sachs tear repair done and need a waiver for it. Getting all the documents and doctor's notes ready that state I don't have any physical limitations. Which is true, after recovering and finishing PT, have gone back to working out 7 days a week and slowly doing more body weight pull-ups and other calisthenic exercises. Anyways, I just have seen a full spectrum of answers which were freaking me out and was wondering if anyone here had some insight. Thanks y'all.

Contact Ms. Wilsnack the commissioning coordinator.

I haven't gone through the waiver process but I'm pretty sure I'll need one if I get an acceptance so I've been looking at previous years threads. People have mentioned that Ms. Wilsnack is really helpful in the process and will guide you in what to do.

If it makes you feel any better, I met someone who was a current student who had some former back issues I thought would have disqualified him, but he was able to get a waiver.

Members don't see this ad :)
Contact Ms. Wilsnack the commissioning coordinator.

I haven't gone through the waiver process but I'm pretty sure I'll need one if I get an acceptance so I've been looking at previous years threads. People have mentioned that Ms. Wilsnack is really helpful in the process and will guide you in what to do.

If it makes you feel any better, I met someone who was a current student who had some former back issues I thought would have disqualified him, but he was able to get a waiver.

yeah she's been in touch with me and letting me know all that I need, she originally said it shouldn't be a problem but shoulder instability is a pretty big red flag and I was just wondering what other's experience has been. But thanks for the encouraging words!

Two questions, what time of day do acceptance calls usually go out? Also does a rejection post interview come through email or postal mail?

Last edited:
Two questions, what time of day to acceptance calls usually go out? Also does a rejection post interview come through email or postal mail?

Rejections come through the mail, I took the L from here yesterday.

If we did our DoDMERB physical recently and haven't gotten any word back could that be because of the shutdown? I did my medical on 1/2 and haven't seen any updates on my portal.

If we did our DoDMERB physical recently and haven't gotten any word back could that be because of the shutdown? I did my medical on 1/2 and haven't seen any updates on my portal.
Interesting... I completed my physical on 1/16 and it was forwarded to DODMERB within a week

Interesting... I completed my physical on 1/16 and it was forwarded to DODMERB within a week

I went to my last appointment on 1/14 and the DODMERB site says they have everything and my case is being reviewed by a case manager. I'm interested to see if I have any issues despite my prior service (but not broken) dinosaur status. @coys784 what does your latest update say?

Interesting. Are they hurting for psychiatrists?

Always. In general most medical students don't go into medicine to become a psychiatrist and for some strange reason society has this view psychiatrists aren't real doctors. Maybe that's changed since 1994...you know that Tim Allen movie The Santa Claus?...there was a scene in there...

I'm ranting at this point. In this new military re-prioritization of medical specialties psychiatry is still one of the top priority ones and there just is never enough mental health doctors.

Always. In general most medical students don't go into medicine to become a psychiatrist and for some strange reason society has this view psychiatrists aren't real doctors. Maybe that's changed since 1994...you know that Tim Allen movie The Santa Claus?...there was a scene in there...

I'm ranting at this point. In this new military re-prioritization of medical specialties psychiatry is still one of the top priority ones and there just is never enough mental health doctors.

Yeah, mental health is a hot mess. And yes, I've definitely heard the stereotype that psychiatrists aren't real doctors. I myself have some interest in it, but my hesitation is I would miss "real" medicine--touching patients, etc. I'm glad there are people who do it, but we definitely need more of them. Maybe we wouldn't have so many active and veteran suicides if we did.

Can I PM you to ask what your psychiatry rotation was like?

I did my physical and DODMets said it received my exam 3 weeks later. Then I made a DODMerb account and a few days later it said my physical was entered into DODMerb and was under review. Finally after like 10 more days I was qualified on DODMerb if that helps at all!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I went to my last appointment on 1/14 and the DODMERB site says they have everything and my case is being reviewed by a case manager. I'm interested to see if I have any issues despite my prior service (but not broken) dinosaur status. @coys784 what does your latest update say?

It says now that as of 1/17 it's complete and on hold. Would anyone like to clarify this for me? Thanks!

It says now that as of 1/17 it's complete and on hold. Would anyone like to clarify this for me? Thanks!
Your results from your providers will be reviewed by a case manager before it is sent off to DODMERB.

Yeah, mental health is a hot mess. And yes, I've definitely heard the stereotype that psychiatrists aren't real doctors. I myself have some interest in it, but my hesitation is I would miss "real" medicine--touching patients, etc. I'm glad there are people who do it, but we definitely need more of them. Maybe we wouldn't have so many active and veteran suicides if we did.

Can I PM you to ask what your psychiatry rotation was like?

Anytime brother

Would we get any idea if we are A or R now for those interviewed in this month . Or do we have to wait until March.

Got my rejection letter today. I wish the best to the rest of you.

got my waiting for a place, having been recommended for selection by the admissions committee letter today. not a bad place to be on. just a waiting game now

got my waiting for a place, having been recommended for selection by the admissions committee letter today. not a bad place to be on. just a waiting game now

Congrats. Given how many people withdraw or get disqualified, you have an extremely good shot of getting off that list.

thanks this late in the game i can only assuming the class is filled up and unfortuately USUHS can not accept 2x-3x the seats like most schools. the wait list is a good place to be at

i consider the alternate list the waitlist most people think of and this one a you got accepted but we don't have a seat for you right now just wait a bit

thanks this late in the game i can only assuming the class is filled up and unfortuately USUHS can not accept 2x-3x the seats like most schools. the wait list is a good place to be at

They filled up a long time ago. But yes, this list is the "we can't accept more than 171 at a time, so you have to wait until people get DQed or withdraw--if this were a civilian school you would have gotten an acceptance" list.

i consider the alternate list the waitlist most people think of and this one a you got accepted but we don't have a seat for you right now just wait a bit

The hold list is really the waitlist. The alternate list is the waitlist to the hold list. You're good! :)

I was accepted into my dream school, I will be withdrawing from USUHS. Hope it opens up a spot for someone on the waitlist. Good luck everyone, thanks for all of the advice!

Reactions: 6 users
For everyone who is curious about DoDMERB timeline.

1/16/19: Date of exam

1/23/19: Date exam received at DoDMERB

1/25/19: Medical data entry (no idea what this means)

1/29/19: Date exam reviewed (qualified)

Hope this helps!

Hope this helps!

Data entry is the date your med tech puts your information into the dodmerb system from the report from dodmets.

That timeline can look different if you need remedials.

Got the email from Dr. Saguil, I am on the primary waitlist! Now, we wait. Hope to be in Bethesda next fall!

For anyone wondering, I interviewed 12/6.

Reactions: 5 users
Finally got my letter of release from Navy PERS and sent it in yesterday. This morning got an email from Col Saguil that I am on the primary waitlist, which is great news!

Col Saguil shared that primary waitlist movement occurs on Feb. 19 / Apr. 30 which coincides with multi-acceptance/commit to enroll deadlines. Good luck to everyone still waiting on a slot!

Reactions: 5 users
Got the email from Dr. Saguil, I am on the primary waitlist! Now, we wait. Hope to be in Bethesda next fall!

For anyone wondering, I interviewed 12/6.
Congrats! I interviewed that day too and no news so far :(

Finally got my letter of release from Navy PERS and sent it in yesterday. This morning got an email from Col Saguil that I am on the primary waitlist, which is great news!

Col Saguil shared that primary waitlist movement occurs on Feb. 19 / Apr. 30 which coincides with multi-acceptance/commit to enroll deadlines. Good luck to everyone still waiting on a slot!
Congratulations..Could you please explain what multi acceptance/commit mean? What happens on those two dates?

Congratulations..Could you please explain what multi acceptance/commit mean? What happens on those two dates?

On Feb 19, AMCAS will open an option for students to indicate which school they plan to enroll in. On April 30, you are required to be holding only one acceptance.

So there will be some minor movement in February because some people will say they are not interested in USUHS and have their files removed, but there will be the most movement after April 30 when tons of people withdraw.

On Feb 19, AMCAS will open an option for students to indicate which school they plan to enroll in. On April 30, you are required to be holding only one acceptance.

So there will be some minor movement in February because some people will say they are not interested in USUHS and have their files removed, but there will be the most movement after April 30 when tons of people withdraw.
Thankyou

Hope this helps!

My Exam was Jan-2. Data entry happened yesterday for me. It just happens more slowly for some.