2018-2019 Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone happen to know when the whole 250-300mile travel radius will be enacted? I have a trip out west planned for MDW and am worried that I might have to bag it.

You won't check in until after ODS/COT/DCC. Have fun on MDW. But not too much fun. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know when we will hear something next after mailing in the commitment form?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we will hear something next after mailing in the commitment form?
After you mail it in, as long as all your stuff is taken care of, they should convert you to an unconditional. You should get it in the mail in about a week or two.

Reactions: 1 users
I saw somewhere that there is/was a "book day." Is that still a thing? I'm trying to make a shopping list.

So far I haven't bought anything besides First Aid but I'm eyeing up Bose vs Sony noise-canx headphones and a VariDesk.

What's on everyone else's shopping list?

I saw somewhere that there is/was a "book day." Is that still a thing? I'm trying to make a shopping list.

So far I haven't bought anything besides First Aid but I'm eyeing up Bose vs Sony noise-canx headphones and a VariDesk.

Yes, USUHS does have a day where they issue the books you will need, though I'm not sure if they supply First Aid or other supplementary materials.

They don't provide FA. They provide all the other books you need though. Bring a rolling suit case. The book issue is in the anatomy lab, and the Chief told us that every year someone brings a duffel bag and has it break because the books are so heavy.

I bought 2019 FA, but I'm going to wait until we get everything else. I'm probably going to get sketchy and B&B.

• Haha
They don't provide FA. They provide all the other books you need though. Bring a rolling suit case. The book issue is in the anatomy lab, and the Chief told us that every year someone brings a duffel bag and has it break because the books are so heavy.

I bought 2019 FA, but I'm going to wait until we get everything else. I'm probably going to get sketchy and B&B.

Do you mean Pathoma? Aren't Sketchy just videos?

Do you mean Pathoma? Aren't Sketchy just videos?

Sketchy and pathoma are different. Pathoma is specifically for pathology and is a book with online video access. Sketchy is a series of videos for micro, pharm, and I think one other subject. The videos are really, really helpful because they are essential visual mnemonics.

I might get pathoma, but I'm not sure yet.

Solid protip on the suitcase. I wouldn't have thought of that. I guess I'll wait too on other things. I'm planning on Sketchy and Pathoma but I'm not sure about B&B yet.

Solid protip on the suitcase. I wouldn't have thought of that. I guess I'll wait too on other things. I'm planning on Sketchy and Pathoma but I'm not sure about B&B yet.

I was planning on just UFAPS-ing it, but friends of mine have been using B&B and really like it (and said pathoma is really overkill), so I think I'm going to give it a shot. We don't take step until third year, so I'm not stressing.

Also, we had our EMDP2 orientation right before book day for the M1s. Can confirm that it is a **** ton of books. They were on tables that completely lined the anatomy lab.

I was planning on just UFAPS-ing it, but friends of mine have been using B&B and really like it (and said pathoma is really overkill), so I think I'm going to give it a shot. We don't take step until third year, so I'm not stressing.

Also, we had our EMDP2 orientation right before book day for the M1s. Can confirm that it is a **** ton of books. They were on tables that completely lined the anatomy lab.
I am way pumped. I already got rid of a TON of undergrad books before I moved here, so for once I think I have room on my bookshelf.

Anyone here doing Uworld/Zanki? Also step might have changed by the time we take it

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here doing Uworld/Zanki? Also step might have changed by the time we take it

I have zanki. There is a set of USUHS specific decks for anki. I am going to do uworld but probably not until dedicated so I don’t waste it.

I’m sure it will be different. I’m wondering if the P/F thing is really going to happen.

I am way pumped. I already got rid of a TON of undergrad books before I moved here, so for once I think I have room on my bookshelf.

I just got rid of four boxes of books plus all my undergrad and grad books. I think I need to build another bookcase for all the med school books though.

I have zanki. There is a set of USUHS specific decks for anki. I am going to do uworld but probably not until dedicated so I don’t waste it.

I’m sure it will be different. I’m wondering if the P/F thing is really going to happen.

That would change a lot of things forsure. The focus will shift out of STEP 1 (so thankfully i can actually focus on LEARNING from lectures)..

However, the way USUHS does it already is fantastic imo. I love that during my pre clinical years i can just focus on learning, i don’t *really* have to worry about STEP till third year. Meanwhile all i have to worry about is getting accepted right now lmao.

Last edited:
That would change a lot of things forsure. The focus will shift out of STEP 1 (so thankfully i can actually focus on LEARNING from lectures)..

However, the way USUHS does it already is fantastic imo. I love that during my pre clinical years i can just focus on learning, i don’t *really* have to worry about STEP till third year. Meanwhile all i have to worry about is getting accepted right now lmao.

Lol yeah. Plus the board scoring system combines preclinical grades and Step into a 5 point system.

So if my RNLTD is 22 Jul, but the academic calendar doesn’t start til 1 Aug, what happens during that last week in July? In processing should just be like a day, right?

Super lucky that I picked the summer travel dates that I did... feel like I’m threading the needle and will get back just in time ... had no idea it was going to work out that they wanted us in the area so early.

So if my RNLTD is 22 Jul, but the academic calendar doesn’t start til 1 Aug, what happens during that last week in July? In processing should just be like a day, right?

Super lucky that I picked the summer travel dates that I did... feel like I’m threading the needle and will get back just in time ... had no idea it was going to work out that they wanted us in the area so early.

The first two weeks (starting 1 Aug) are military orientation. Checking in is just getting your orders signed. They might make you do the check in sheet then or have everyone do it during the orientation together. Probably the latter.

Once you check in, use that time to get yourself settled before school starts.

The first two weeks (starting 1 Aug) are military orientation. Checking in is just getting your orders signed. They might make you do the check in sheet then or have everyone do it during the orientation together. Probably the latter.

Once you check in, use that time to get yourself settled before school starts.
Whew. Ok that sounds better.

Finally got the call for a Navy spot a couple days ago!

Interviewed Oct 18th
Waitlisted End of Nov

Reactions: 3 users

yeah house hunting, inprocessing get stuff you need done. the first 2 weeks in any base is always just inprocessing stuff and house hunting

Does anyone have any info about BOLC this summer? I'm still waiting on my unconditional and am trying to figure out my summer schedule. Thanks!

yeah house hunting, inprocessing get stuff you need done. the first 2 weeks in any base is always just inprocessing stuff and house hunting
Yeah house hunting leave is nice. I haven’t gotten to use much of it since my first duty station PCS, so icing on the cake here for sure.

Unrelated, are we going to get to sign up for the Mass Transit Benefit program during orientation or is that something for us to take care of on our own? It’ll be nice for all the metro/bus users out there.

Similar question, once my unconditional comes will I be getting information about ODS and other general information?

Does anyone have any info about BOLC this summer? I'm still waiting on my unconditional and am trying to figure out my summer schedule. Thanks!
As far as I know, all the June slots for DCC are taken up (we don't attend BOLC-only DCC, which is in Fort Sill, OK). There is a July session as well that starts July 7th!

Does anyone know when the “Commit to Enroll” deadline is for USUHS?
Not sure, but in order to get into ODS/COT/DCC in time, there's some lead time to get orders for that... I imagine if there's a CTE deadline (haven't seen a specific one per se), it's not necessarily 21 days before school starts like many schools.

Not sure, but in order to get into ODS/COT/DCC in time, there's some lead time to get orders for that... I imagine if there's a CTE deadline (haven't seen a specific one per se), it's not necessarily 21 days before school starts like many schools.

It is. The deadline set by USUHS is 21 days prior to the start of your branch’s officer training school.

If that's the case, then if the Army has two summer sessions of DCC, wouldn't that mean there are two CTE deadlines?

I wouldn't buy too much before you get to USUHS and get in the grind. First Aid, yes. Anything further I would wait to see what you think you will need when the time comes. I guess if you have already used the product personally and feel like you can't live without it, fine, but even then....MS1-you will be a much different person than Premed-you.

The book issue is crazy. You are provided a ton of stuff for free. I agree with the rolling suitcase. Large carry on size or small checked bag size.

The only things I bought extra were First Aid and then Doctor's in Training for STEP 1.

Reactions: 3 users
I wouldn't buy too much before you get to USUHS and get in the grind. First Aid, yes. Anything further I would wait to see what you think you will need when the time comes. I guess if you have already used the product personally and feel like you can't live without it, fine, but even then....MS1-you will be a much different person than Premed-you.

The book issue is crazy. You are provided a ton of stuff for free. I agree with the rolling suitcase. Large carry on size or small checked bag size.

The only things I bought extra were First Aid and then Doctor's in Training for STEP 1.

Yeah I don’t plan on buying much. The people I’ve talked to who go here have said the school does a really good job of teaching the material and that some people don’t use anything except FA.

Anyone know what day White Coat ceremony is? Mom wants to buy a plane ticket.

Does anyone know the report date for those who don’t have to go to OTS? Also, how do you get added to the Facebook page?

Does anyone know the report date for those who don’t have to go to OTS? Also, how do you get added to the Facebook page?
22 July is my RNLTD.
It won't be until April.
Interesting. Many schools I was accepted to had August as their WC ceremony so I assumed it was around then. I’ll tell mom to wait to buy her plane ticket

Last edited:
Is there another official way to let USUHS know that we are accepting the unconditional acceptance other than just selecting “commit to enroll” on AMCAS?

Is there another official way to let USUHS know that we are accepting the unconditional acceptance other than just selecting “commit to enroll” on AMCAS?

CTE is enough because that implies that you are withdrawing from all other schools per the guidelines.

Got the call on Thursday!

-Air Force
-Interviewed in October
-Primary Waitlisted in November

It has been a long wait to get in but I am so excited to join you all. I have been closely watching this forum from a distance for months with anxiety but many of you gave me hope that there was still a good chance I would get in. I appreciate everyone here and I look forward to meeting some of you at COT and the rest at orientation! On a side note, Dr. Saguil said there is still plenty of movement going on.

Reactions: 9 users
Got the call on Thursday!

-Air Force
-Interviewed in October
-Primary Waitlisted in November

It has been a long wait to get in but I am so excited to join you all. I have been closely watching this forum from a distance for months with anxiety but many of you gave me hope that there was still a good chance I would get in. I appreciate everyone here and I look forward to meeting some of you at COT and the rest at orientation! On a side note, Dr. Saguil said there is still plenty of movement going on.
Welcome to the Air Force!!