2018-2019 University of Alabama

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the call yesterday evening! Accepted into the Primary Care Track!!!
Interviewed 11/01
MrJ - You are awesome! Big time congratulations!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh 12 days until we hear anything again. Looked at the FB group and there is 95 members. It’s been constantly going up since I’ve been watching it. Theoretically if that number is accurate we still have around 90 ish acceptance to go out. Probably less bc people turn off or get rid of their FB during the cycle.

Good vibes to all you post and pre interviewers. Keep your heads up and let’s hope we hear good news soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh 12 days until we hear anything again. Looked at the FB group and there is 95 members. It’s been constantly going up since I’ve been watching it. Theoretically if that number is accurate we still have around 90 ish acceptance to go out. Probably less bc people turn off or get rid of their FB during the cycle.

Good vibes to all you post and pre interviewers. Keep your heads up and let’s hope we hear good news soon!

Thank you! I needed this; I interviewed on the first day of interviews and still have yet to hear anything. I absolutely LOVED UAB so some good news would be amazing.

in the group last year they also added student leaders from the other classes, so there may still be more than 90!

Rejected pre-II LOL. Not surprised though, I'm technically OOS even though UA is my soon to be alma mater. Congratulations to all who got acceptances and interviews! Seems like a great program.

Hopefully you peeps will get good news somewhere else!

in the group last year they also added student leaders from the other classes, so there may still be more than 90!

I hope you’re right. That would probably give us at least 100 spots since some of those will probably go to south or somewhere else.

I hope you’re right. That would probably give us at least 100 spots since some of those will probably go to south or somewhere else.
yeah if you look at last year's group, I believe they had 256 members, but the class size is only 186.

I just got the acceptance call about 10 minutes ago!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the acceptance call about 10 minutes ago!!

Congratulations ! Wish I could say the same. I received a weird email about them not accepting ppl from the 3rd tier waitlists. I didn’t think they waitlisted anyone until April.

Congratulations ! Wish I could say the same. I received a weird email about them not accepting ppl from the 3rd tier waitlists. I didn’t think they waitlisted anyone until April.
I remember them saying they let people know early on if they are 3rd tier. but the 1st and 2nd tiers don't know until April.

I remember them saying they let people know early on if they are 3rd tier. but the 1st and 2nd tiers don't know until April.

Ah that’s probably it. I received a clarification email from Dr. Grabowski.

Either way it stinks that I was put in 3rd tier. I really thought my interview went well. Guess if I am accepted at ACOM after my interview I’ll be doing med school alone. My wife already told me she would not be moving to Dothan LoL.

Haven’t ruled out South but since I haven’t heard anything by this point. I’ll expect a rejection letter by the end of the month.

I’m super happy for you alice_!!! Congratulations future doctor

Last edited:

Either way it stinks that I was put in 3rd tier. I really thought my interview went well. Guess if I am accepted at ACOM I’ll be doing med school alone. My wife already told me she would not be moving to Dothan.

did you interview for regular md?

did you interview for regular md?

Yeah, I’m regretting not trying for the primary care track. It was mainly because I knew my family wouldn’t move with me and driving two hours a day round trip from our house didn’t sound like ideal. Now it’s not seeming so like a big deal from the 3rd tier lol.

Either way it stinks that I was put in 3rd tier. I really thought my interview went well. Guess if I am accepted at ACOM after my interview I’ll be doing med school alone. My wife already told me she would not be moving to Dothan LoL.

Haven’t ruled out South but since I haven’t heard anything by this point. I’ll expect a rejection letter by the end of the month.

I’m super happy for you alice_!!! Congratulations future doctor
Aw man, I hate that for you. wishing you an acceptance from another school. thank you. we will both be doctors someday.

Just got an II earlier today. Super excited because i would love to go here. OOS completed 9/5. They have 2 interview dates left for the year.

Does anyone know how long they take to get back to you? I interviewed mid-November and I'm still waiting.

It's an ongoing process, they review everyone at every session I believe.

I interviewed 8/30 and am still waiting to hear back, hang in there!

Last edited:
I think we'll know in 20 or so days. At least, that's the dream. Here's to hoping things work out!

The next ADCOM meeting is tomorrow per their Twitter; generally they send calls the day of and the day after a meeting!

Wait, it's not today? I thought it was on 1/24 on the twitter? Either way, here's to hoping this time is our time! I'll keep a careful eye on my phone and hope for the best in any case.

Oh right, today, my bad!

Those who are going to the campus visit days, are you guys going to both or just one? I'm not sure if i'll be able to attend both days plus I'm more interested in rural medicine and applied to the PCT and I guess Huntsville is the other campus with a rural focus.

Those who are going to the campus visit days, are you guys going to both or just one? I'm not sure if i'll be able to attend both days plus I'm more interested in rural medicine and applied to the PCT and I guess Huntsville is the other campus with a rural focus.
I'll only be attending the Huntsville one as well, I don't think they have any problem with that. Just make sure you RSVP.

Some people who interviewed in September were just accepted. There's no rhyme or reason to their process, but it sure is long!

what do you mean just accepted? Like 2 days ago Friday? and do you know if they were regular MD or PCT?

Is PCT more competitive than regular MD? And are you able to switch into the PCT program from regular MD or vice versa? Apologies if this seems like a silly question

can someone put a link up for the accepted students fb page...sorry if it is already somewhere

Accepted PCT last Thursday afternoon via phone call. 3rd time applicant

Reactions: 2 users
When they say silence means you are still being considered, should we have any expectations? It seems some people get accepted pretty fast and others wait. Should an extended period of waiting lead us to believe we'll be on the waitlist? No other school I'm aware of does things the way UAB does it. I'm basically just assuming a WL because I don't know what having an application "reviewed" means or what this excessive waiting period means.

I’m pretty much assuming the same thing, but I’m not entirely sure. I guess it depends on whether you applied pct or regular md and whether your IS or OOS. I’m hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

I think it's a little unprofessional keeping us waiting this long given we have to plan our future opportunities based around timely responses. It's unfortunate that applicants have no power in this process. Not a fan of this limbo.
I understand your frustration completely (I've been waiting since the first interview day for a response) but in this time of very qualified applicants and with the new traffic rules, it is in schools' best interests to err on the conservative side when deciding to send out acceptances. I wouldn't call it unprofessional, since schools want to fill their class up as soon as possible, but due to the way the system is right now, there's a lot of uncertainty for both schools and applicants.

Is PCT more competitive than regular MD? And are you able to switch into the PCT program from regular MD or vice versa? Apologies if this seems like a silly question

Not sure specifically about UAB, but I know several schools where the PCT is not more competitive with regards to grades and scores, and they will not allow you to transfer out of PCT and into regular MD. So choose wisely.

I'm going to both.

Hey y'all! I submitted my secondary back in september (or oct can't remember now... lol) but haven't heard anything regarding II. Should I just expect to not received an II ever? I have no ties to Alabama or UA so just trying to gauge my chances here haha

Hey y'all! I submitted my secondary back in september (or oct can't remember now... lol) but haven't heard anything regarding II. Should I just expect to not received an II ever? I have no ties to Alabama or UA so just trying to gauge my chances here haha
I'm out of state also with minimal ties to Alabama, but I got offered an interview last night ~7 PM, so don't give up hope yet!! :)

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks! 2/28, but I could pick between 2/14 and 2/28, so they may still have some invitations to send out?
Wellllll, I got the R today so hopefully others will hear soon :) thank you anyways and good luck at your interview!

Accepted today! Interviewed 1/31 OOS

Reactions: 3 users