2018-2019 University of Arizona - Tucson

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Arizona College of Medicine - Tucson

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You misspelled Tucson.

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary received earlier today. Same questions as last year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone having trouble submitting the secondary without listing a relative who's associated with the school? It looks like they made the "alumnus/faculty/staff" question mandatory but there's no option for none

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone having trouble submitting the secondary without listing a relative who's associated with the school? It looks like they made the "alumnus/faculty/staff" question mandatory but there's no option for none
lol, yes. I even tried inserting a fake name "first name not, last name applicable" and it wont let me move on

Reactions: 3 users

Yeah I tried all of the options and none of them seem to make a difference.

Has anyone been able to submit the secondary yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Everything is working correctly as of a few hours ago. Please try and submit now, if you haven't done so already.

Reactions: 4 users
Verified 7am this morning and received their secondary later in the morning. I submitted right away and had no issues. Everything appears to be resolved!

1. Please share a meaningful experience you have had working or volunteering in the health professional field or a time in your past in which you were responsible for the care and well-being of someone else. What did you learn from this as it relates to becoming a physician?
    (Limit: 350 words)

2. Discuss a time in your life in which you have failed at something other than an academic experience. How did you confront the failure and what did you learn from it? Please describe how you typically approach challenges that you face in your life.

3. "The mission of the University of Arizona College of Medicine Office of Admissions is to select a diverse cohort of students who will become the future leaders in advancing health care to the distinct communities that comprise Arizona and the United States. Consistent with the mission of The University of Arizona College of Medicine, selection of individuals with a demonstrated commitment to serve as care providers, physician scientists, clinical leaders, medical educators and/or public health experts, including advocates for rural and urban underserved populations, is highly valued. Applicants seeking admission should exhibit qualities of altruism, academic excellence, leadership and dedication to becoming lifelong learners through research endeavors and academic development."

Please describe the role(s) you can play in helping the College of Medicine to achieve its mission.

4. Describe the effect that your experiences with engaging diversity have had on your own growth and development. Provide an example and describe how it will impact your career in the medical profession.
  5. Re-applicant essay 350
@gyngyn

Last edited:
Anybody know how strict the school is about the clinical letter? I have a letter from a mentor who is a MD and is able to talk about my qualities as we have worked together and have spent a lot of time together, but it hasnt been a shadowing/scribing type of experience. I really like this school but not 100% sure my letters will meet the requirements :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know how strict the school is about the clinical letter? I have a letter from a mentor who is a MD and is able to talk about my qualities as we have worked together and have spent a lot of time together, but it hasnt been a shadowing/scribing type of experience. I really like this school but not 100% sure my letters will meet the requirements :/
Won't hurt to email them about it. They respond pretty quickly.

How many distinction tracks do students usually pursue at UACOM? I'm currently interested in two of them...

For the first essay, do you think it's appropriate to write about something impactful I saw when I was shadowing? Or do you think they are looking for a more involved experience?

For the first essay, do you think it's appropriate to write about something impactful I saw when I was shadowing? Or do you think they are looking for a more involved experience?
I took it to mean a more involved experience.

Do any IS applicants know how this school is with OOS/how many OOS they accept? Do OOS usually need higher MCAT and GPA than IS? I’m in a state bordering Arizona. Thanks :)

Do any IS applicants know how this school is with OOS/how many OOS they accept? Do OOS usually need higher MCAT and GPA than IS? I’m in a state bordering Arizona. Thanks :)
I believe UA is required to accept at least 50% from Arizona residents, so max acceptance for OOS would be 50%.

@UAZ COM-T Admissions are the letter requirements fairly strict? I have 2 MD letters from clinical research and one from a clinician who works primarily in academics so he unfortunately has not seen me directly interact with patients. Thanks in advance!

I love how Arizona schools have these trackers for interview invites sent out. I wish all schools had them

VERY strict - without a clinical letter, you won't get an interview

We're very strict with the clinical letter. No letter, not interview.
Thanks for the insight! Is this the same for the Pheonix campus? I see the site says its highly recommended but it doesnt say its 100% needed (though I assume not having it would put one at a disadvantage).

@UAZ COM-T Admissions my clinical letter is from a volunteering supervisor from a clinic in which I had a great deal of patient interaction. They can attest to my ability to interact with a variety of people in the clinical environment. Would that be accepted for the Letter of Recommendation requirement?

We're very strict with the clinical letter. No letter, not interview.
Does this go for MD-PhD applicants too? I was just working on your secondary but it would be helpful to know so I don't waste your time or mine, or money!
Since most of my time has been devoted to research, I don't have an MD letter addressing my characteristics in the clinic. I do, however, have a letter from an MD addressing my research and clinical skills in pathology.
I would appreciate any comments you have. Thank you sharing information on here!

Even though the Phoenix campus is under the University of Arizona, their College of Medicine is a separate entity from COM-T (different admission requirements, process, committee, etc.). I will say that if you are applying to COM-T, they are clinical based. This means you MUST have a clinical letter. On the other side, COM-P has some research element in their curriculum and there is a separate thread if you want to ask their admission about the letter requirements.

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know when they begin interviewing?

My letters of recommendation do not show up in the documents status in the secondary app, does anyone else have this same problem? Also, are we allowed to send more letters after submitting the app?

My letters of recommendation do not show up in the documents status in the secondary app, does anyone else have this same problem? Also, are we allowed to send more letters after submitting the app?
I had this issue, too, but noticed a green checkbox next to "Secondary Application File Complete." I assumed this meant they have my letters too, but called to make sure and they confirmed!

@UAZ COM-T Admissions my clinical letter is from a volunteering supervisor from a clinic in which I had a great deal of patient interaction. They can attest to my ability to interact with a variety of people in the clinical environment. Would that be accepted for the Letter of Recommendation requirement?
I also have this question if anyone knows the answer?

Received an II. Looks like there's only 1 available date as of now, which is August 24. Looks like I'll have to move around some of my summer plans.

I also received an interview invite for August 24th. I'm an IS applicant.

Last edited:
Does this go for MD-PhD applicants too? I was just working on your secondary but it would be helpful to know so I don't waste your time or mine, or money!
Since most of my time has been devoted to research, I don't have an MD letter addressing my characteristics in the clinic. I do, however, have a letter from an MD addressing my research and clinical skills in pathology.
I would appreciate any comments you have. Thank you sharing information on here!

Yes, it applies for dual degree applicants. You're still a MD applicant, not just PhD.

This most certainly counts!

What is the frequency between IIs? If you do not mind.

Thanks for the insight! Is this the same for the Pheonix campus? I see the site says its highly recommended but it doesnt say its 100% needed (though I assume not having it would put one at a disadvantage).

You'll have to check with Phoenix - we're 2 different schools with different requirements.