2018-2019 University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences College of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well here goes nothing the time to apply is finally here. I'm in state and UAMS is my first choice school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth submitting my primary this late? It’s almost Labor Day and it seems to take forever to get a secondary

Is it worth submitting my primary this late? It’s almost Labor Day and it seems to take forever to get a secondary
I think it should be fine. UAMS doesn't have rolling admissions anyway, and their official deadline isn't until November. Also, if you're an Arkansas resident, as soon as you submit your primary, you can call to schedule an interview. I think the secondary is just a formality anyway, which asks about where you live, etc.

I think it should be fine. UAMS doesn't have rolling admissions anyway, and their official deadline isn't until November. Also, if you're an Arkansas resident, as soon as you submit your primary, you can call to schedule an interview. I think the secondary is just a formality anyway, which asks about where you live, etc.
I’m technically oos but I lived in AR for the majority of my life and went to school their up til high school. Does that still apply?

I’m technically oos but I lived in AR for the majority of my life and went to school their up til high school. Does that still apply?
I believe it depends on where you are legally a resident in regards to the interview. However, I don't think they have started sending interview invites for OOS residents, so you should still have time to apply. You can search their website for their applicant guide which lists dates and deadlines for everything.

I believe it depends on where you are legally a resident in regards to the interview. However, I don't think they have started sending interview invites for OOS residents, so you should still have time to apply. You can search their website for their applicant guide which lists dates and deadlines for everything.
Will do! Thanks

I read on their website that the adcom doesn't decide on when to send interview invites until December

I read on their website that the adcom doesn't decide on when to send interview invites until December
Yup just read that too

I don’t know if it’s worth it. They apparently also require statistics which I haven’t taken so idk how that would work out

Does anyone have advice on writing the strong ties letter? I am technically OOS but I went to high school here for a year and my mom still lives here/is an alumna. Is it okay to go into detail about why you want to apply (as if it is a secondary application)? Thank you!

Yup just read that too

I don’t know if it’s worth it. They apparently also require statistics which I haven’t taken so idk how that would work out

Yeah not sure about that either. Also I've definitely seen you on other forums too. You've gotten a couple of interviews right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah not sure about that either. Also I've definitely seen you on other forums too. You've gotten a couple of interviews right?
Haha only 1 so far. This one would’ve been my state school had my family and I not moved away during college

Yup just read that too

You can apply without the stats course completed. Should you be offered a position, you will need to have completed the course before matriculation. An on-line course is acceptable. Simply write "to be taken" on your supplemental application.

Does anyone have advice on writing the strong ties letter? I am technically OOS but I went to high school here for a year and my mom still lives here/is an alumna. Is it okay to go into detail about why you want to apply (as if it is a secondary application)? Thank you!
Ultimately, the school would be hopeful you might stay in Arkansas to practice medicine. Thus, any ties to the state would be valuable. Include time/dates spent in Arkansas, names/locations of relatives living here, schools attended in Arkansas, your or your family's employment, etc. Your assessment of how lovely the state is and that you follow the Hogs won't make a difference! But details, details, details of any connections will benefit you.

Reactions: 1 user
You can apply without the stats course completed. Should you be offered a position, you will need to have completed the course before matriculation. An on-line course is acceptable. Simply write "to be taken" on your supplemental application.
Ok! I might do that then. I’ve apparently got until November to submit since they only review all oos apps mid December

OOS with strong-ish ties. Secondary submitted today. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back about an interview invite/rejection? The email said no later than Dec. 20, but hopefully it won't take that long.

OOS with strong-ish ties. Secondary submitted today. Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back about an interview invite/rejection? The email said no later than Dec. 20, but hopefully it won't take that long.
Oos people are all reviewed on one day in dec and then II/rejections are sent you later. Interviews are in Jan and you find out in feb

Ultimately, the school would be hopeful you might stay in Arkansas to practice medicine. Thus, any ties to the state would be valuable. Include time/dates spent in Arkansas, names/locations of relatives living here, schools attended in Arkansas, your or your family's employment, etc. Your assessment of how lovely the state is and that you follow the Hogs won't make a difference! But details, details, details of any connections will benefit you.

Thank you!! I was more thinking about potentially pointing out specific aspects of the programs at UAMS that I am interested in but I probably will just stick to the details of my connections.

Did anybody submit a declaration of intent with their secondary? Don't know if I should write one or wait until later...

So if we are OOS with stats in the range for this school but NO TIES, should we def not be applying?

So if we are OOS with stats in the range for this school but NO TIES, should we def not be applying?
I would also like an opinion on this. I'm from Louisiana and my boyfriend is thinking about moving to Arkansas and thats about all I got. But my stats are average for this school.

I'm an in-state student and I've talked to the dean of admission when he visited our university about this because I have a green card I didn't know if I would be considered an in-state student. Anyways he said if a person is out of state in order for them to see that you have strong ties to the state you need to have physically lived here at some point or gone to school whether high school or college here.

Not to be discouraging here but UAMS also has to give 140-150 of the 174 seats to in-state students, they can give the rest of them to anyone they want who are mostly out of state students but the competition for them is pretty high they get about 2300 applications and call about 500 or fewer people for the interviews. so unless you have really strong ties to the state I wouldn't apply.

Last edited:
So I've submitted my secondary and have a GUS account or whatever, however I do not know how to schedule the interview? Any in state in the same boat or could point me in the right direction? Thanks!

So I've submitted my secondary and have a GUS account or whatever, however I do not know how to schedule the interview? Any in state in the same boat or could point me in the right direction? Thanks![/QUOT

If you're in-state, all you have to do is call to schedule an interview. The number from the applicant guide is (501) 686-5354.

I finished my interview with uams on October 20th, let me know if you guys have any questions.

What did they ask? haha
It started out with the usual tell us about yourself? What interested you in medicine and what steps you have taken to fulfull that interes? Strengths and weakness? And someQuestions about my research work. I didn't get asked any ethical or political questions which was surprising. A couple of my freinds on the other hand had a different experience they were asked only ethical and policy questions and not much about their personal experiences. I had and M4 and a PhD student on my panel some people had doctors and medical students on theirs. Hope this helps.

Can someone tell me how many OOS applicants they interview on 1/12? MSAR number says they interviewed 91 OOS last cycle, so I'm guessing there are multiple dates for OOS interviews?

I thought I read somewhere that they interview all OOS applicants on the same day.

I thought I read somewhere that they interview all OOS applicants on the same day.
Yup. They select tomorrow:
"NON-ARKANSAS RESIDENTS: The Admissions Committee will select a group of non-Arkansas residents to be interviewed on Saturday January 12, 2019. This interview is by invitation only and you will be informed of your interview status, either way, by December 20, 2018"

Yup. They select tomorrow:
"NON-ARKANSAS RESIDENTS: The Admissions Committee will select a group of non-Arkansas residents to be interviewed on Saturday January 12, 2019. This interview is by invitation only and you will be informed of your interview status, either way, by December 20, 2018"

MSAR number must be wrong then. They can't possibly interview 91 on one day. I think the 91 number might include interviews to Arkansas residents who sent in their applications from another state.

MSAR number must be wrong then. They can't possibly interview 91 on one day. I think the 91 number might include interviews to Arkansas residents who sent in their applications from another state.
They probably send out maybe 30 II and have an interview group of 25?

There were about 90 people on my interview day. The number isn't wrong. They interview three cohorts of ~30 students in a day

Reactions: 2 users
Any OOS students get an II today? I thought today was the day we were suppose to hear?

My thoughts as well...
I made an account just to answer this question. Hahah I'm anxious waiting in this position too. I called today. They said that we would not hear until tomorrow or next Wednesday since they will be closed Monday and Tuesday. Just wanted everyone to know! Good luck!

I made an account just to answer this question. Hahah I'm anxious waiting in this position too. I called today. They said that we would not hear until tomorrow or next Wednesday since they will be closed Monday and Tuesday. Just wanted everyone to know! Good luck!
Did they mention if this applies to IS early acceptances too?

No, they didn't, but I'm guessing if they are doing these later, they are doing the others later as well.

Last edited:
I know of someone who received an early acceptance letter today. The applicant guide says early acceptance letters were supposed to be sent yesterday, so it seems they were.

Reactions: 1 users
I know of someone who received an early acceptance letter today. The applicant guide says early acceptance letters were supposed to be sent yesterday, so it seems they were.

Congratulations to them! I was hoping to see one in my mailbox yesterday too. I'd rather know before my DO deposit is due, but I might have to wait until January/February to find out :/

Reactions: 1 users
Got the R earlier today. OOS. Secondary complete 9/15