2018-2019 University of California - Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyngyn

Alta California
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please post the essays or lack thereof (in addition to word or character counts) in this thread and tag one of the pre-allo mods (WedgeDawg, Ismet, Lucca, or gyngyn) so we can update the OP.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of California Irvine School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondary received! Same essay prompts as last year

Members don't see this ad :)
June 30th.
early bird gets the worm. Congratz! Did they give you many options for dates? I'm not on the west coast but applying to lots of cali schools so would really love to group my interviews if I get multiple. Plane tickets ain't cheap

Members don't see this ad :)
early bird gets the worm. Congratz! Did they give you many options for dates? I'm not on the west coast but applying to lots of cali schools so would really love to group my interviews if I get multiple. Plane tickets ain't cheap
they only had two options: August 30th and the first or second week in sept. I forgot the exact date

Reactions: 1 user
just submitted my secondary! hopefully getting some UC love

II this afternoon!! submitted secondary Sunday morning

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think it's possible that UCI doesn't like high stat students because they know those applicants are only choosing them as a safety school?
possible? yes. although for a school with a 515 median MCAT and 3.82 median GPA i'd venture to say no. I have 0 idea how they screen tbh

Do you think it's possible that UCI doesn't like high stat students because they know those applicants are only choosing them as a safety school?
I doubt they would screen people out of secondaries for yield protection. They have to assess the applicants ties to the school first

lol meanwhile I still haven't received a secondary

Also no secondary love from UCI. IS LM 74 and got one from UCSD but maybe UCI is using some other kind of criteria to screen? Fingers crossed there will be one coming soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Secondary also received! IS as well

What are the prompts for those that received secondaries?

Same as last year. First one is "What personal accomplishment are you most proud of and why?"

Second one is "Please describe to the Admissions Committee a challenge you have overcome and what you learned about yourself from that experience."

Both 1500 characters without spaces

For those that have started the secondary app, are you repeating experiences under the "Activities" section. For example, if you have paid clinical experience, are you putting that under clinical and under employment or are you putting that only under one of those?

For those that have started the secondary app, are you repeating experiences under the "Activities" section. For example, if you have paid clinical experience, are you putting that under clinical and under employment or are you putting that only under one of those?

I placed my clinical research under just clincal

II this afternoon!! submitted secondary Sunday morning

Congrats! Also how long did it take you to reach complete? Do they send you an email once you're complete? On the portal it says they don't have my letters of rec which is surprising since I have all of them on there on AMCAS.

IS and no secondary yet, did get one from UCSD though

Just got a secondary this morning. IS, socal, LM: 70

when you click on the supplementary link does it take you to a page with one a "returning applicant" button?

if this is the first time im applying to uci, i wouldn't be a returning applicant no?

Congrats! Also how long did it take you to reach complete? Do they send you an email once you're complete? On the portal it says they don't have my letters of rec which is surprising since I have all of them on there on AMCAS.
I reached complete the same day, my letters were in AMCAS before submitting my primary so idk if that would make a difference

I have some dumb questions, but would appreciate help nonetheless!

1) For the participation in service to an underserved/community population for at least 1 year question, should we list only organizations we have volunteered with for one year (or more) or can we list multiple organizations adding up to a year or more?

2) For hours per week, should we list average hours per week from start to end date (including weeks not volunteered) or only the hours per week for weeks actually volunteered?

3) For the activities section, are we to list only the most important activities of the 15 we listed an AMCAS or all of the 15 activities on AMCAS?

Thanks!

I have some dumb questions, but would appreciate help nonetheless!

1) For the participation in service to an underserved/community population for at least 1 year question, should we list only organizations we have volunteered with for one year (or more) or can we list multiple organizations adding up to a year or more?

2) For hours per week, should we list average hours per week from start to end date (including weeks not volunteered) or only the hours per week for weeks actually volunteered?

3) For the activities section, are we to list only the most important activities of the 15 we listed an AMCAS or all of the 15 activities on AMCAS?

Thanks!
2) I did avg number of hours per week actually worked and explained it in the description

3) I listed 7 most meaningful activities