2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody know if UCLA is receptive to ITA requests?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

Could any current med students/other interviewees speak to:

1) The diversity of clinical exposure at UCLA (especially interested in community health)
2) The level of support for students to pursue clinical research
3) Student involvement in the medical humanities
4) Good places to eat near campus

?

1) I'm part of the Westwood program and have less experience with the community health side, but I agree with @MrsDrDr in that we do have a diverse range of hospitals and clinics that we work with.
2) There's a ton of support for clinical research; the labs that I have looked through have basically been like "wow great! when can you start?" after I send over my CV, there are tons of hunting-for-research seminars, and both upperclassmen and faculty are very helpful in talking to you about your research interests.
3) This one I'm also unsure about because tbh I don't really know what medical humanities is? Message me and I can try to figure out more about it with you!
4) I'm biased because I grew up around LA, but there are tons of good places to eat around campus. There are quite a few places within walking distance, and if you have a car/are willing to Uber/Lyft, you can get to Sawtelle (about 10 minutes away) which has really great Asian food. If you don't have a car, on weekends the people with cars are almost always down for a food adventure a little farther away, and Los Angeles is amazing for food.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this mean UCLA is nearing its end too? Jesus my friend interviewed in the new year and is there now. :(

Reactions: 3 users
I thought UCLA typically had a longer interview season?? How do you know the last interview date is December 10th?

Dean Hall stated it during the my interview and also showed us an Admission Timeline table

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone I just got an email that I’ve been awarded a DGSOM travel award that covers interview-related travel costs. Does anyone know whether this is hinting towards an acceptance or whether it’s simply need-based as I’m an FAP recipient? Can’t seem to find any posts about this in threads from previous years...

Reactions: 2 users
I wonder what this means for PRIME applicants?
On the website it says we will know if they extend an interview to us in early December and there are 3 dates in January.

Just to clear up any doubts, I emailed the admissions office regarding the interview timeline and this is their reply:

"December 10, 2018 is the last date for an interview for this cycle for the MD only program. Other programs such as the MSTP or PRIME program may be interviewing in January."

Reactions: 5 users
Wow, kinda sad they end so early. Was hoping to have a shot at the geffen scholarship but I'm guessing they're pretty much out of interview spots. Anyone get one recently know what dates were still open?

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if they are interviewing fewer people than previous cycles? Since last year I know a lot of people who interviewed in Feb. Thanks!

Just to clear up any doubts, I emailed the admissions office regarding the interview timeline and this is their reply:

"December 10, 2018 is the last date for an interview for this cycle for the MD only program. Other programs such as the MSTP or PRIME program may be interviewing in January."
to be fair, doesn't seem like the communication in their admissions office is really up to par. seems like every interview day in september was told they'd hear back on Oct. 15 but not a peep from them, and then their office says before the holidays. Who knows tbh

to be fair, doesn't seem like the communication in their admissions office is really up to par. seems like every interview day in september was told they'd hear back on Oct. 15 but not a peep from them, and then their office says before the holidays. Who knows tbh

I think what happened is that the admissions office planned on accepting students starting Oct 15th, but they ran behind. All throughout September, I'm sure Dean Hall meant it when he said when he said Oct 15th will be the first day for acceptance (especially given that the website timeline indicates this). It's possible that administrative assistants answering phone calls are not aware of changes in timeline. Like @Laix said, I think we can expect the first batch of acceptances starting this week or next week. It's a waiting game for all of us.

If they end dec 10th why did they just send more secondary invites lol?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone I just got an email that I’ve been awarded a DGSOM travel award that covers interview-related travel costs. Does anyone know whether this is hinting towards an acceptance or whether it’s simply need-based as I’m an FAP recipient? Can’t seem to find any posts about this in threads from previous years...

Got the same thing! Anyone know what this could mean? Good luck to everyone!

If they end dec 10th why did they just send more secondary invites lol?

I love how people don't believe the words interviewees and admission officer's response, but rather their own speculation. I don't think they are done screening until the middle of Nov according to the timeline table, but again, screening could be meant for secondary, interview invite, or both. None of us interviewees asked the question.

Reactions: 3 users
I love how people don't believe the words interviewees and admission officer's response, but rather their own speculation. I don't think they are done screening until the middle of Nov according to the timeline table, but again, screening could be meant for secondary, interview invite, or both. None of us interviewees asked the question.

Lol regardless we r the stupid ones for choosing medicine over everything else hahaha

Got an II yesterday afternoon, LizzyM ~77 and complete late August. There were only 3 dates available and the last date was 12/10. Guess I'm a part of the last wave.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone who interviewed recently have an update on what they said about when they would release first acceptances?

Got an II yesterday afternoon, LizzyM ~77 and complete late August. There were only 3 dates available and the last date was 12/10. Guess I'm a part of the last wave.
Damn I guess I am being silently rejected from UCLA

Reactions: 1 users
Have PRIME interview invites been sent out?

Complete late August. I’m worried they won’t even get to reading my app since they’ve only got a few interview spots left...:(:xf:

Last edited:
wow that is sad - i was complete mid august so can assume i may have already been passed

Lol I just got referred this morning from PRIME to regular MD pool (complete early sept). No idea how this is going to pan out if the final interview dates are as early as it sounds like they are..!

Lol I just got referred this morning from PRIME to regular MD pool (complete early sept). No idea how this is going to pan out if the final interview dates are as early as it sounds like they are..!

Interestingly enough, I was in the same situation. It was two weeks from when I got the PRIME > regular MD email to the invite. Funny how they lead that email with congratulations right? Or maybe that was just mine..

I wonder what this means for PRIME applicants?
I was curious about this too and did some digging around last year's UCLA PRIME thread. It sounds like PRIME applicants will know by mid-December whether they are offered an interview. By mid-March all of should know whether we have been accepted, rejected or passed on to regular SOM admissions. Given the early cycle this year I was concerned that there may not be any additional spots left for SOM, but here's what was posted:
Hi all,
I called UCLA and got some info recently. I'm not sure if it will be helpful to anyone else.
It sounds like for PRIME applicants that have been passed over to regular SOM, there is no "you will hear back by "x" date".

Rather, we can be accepted up to 1 week prior to orientation (orientation is 8/6) so very end of July.
When I asked about realistic odds, they said that this is not necessarily a soft rejection, and that PRIME applicants are accepted into regular SOM--but there exists no data about how frequently this happens.

Not particularly helpful info, I know.. but I thought I'd share

Should anyone really give up hope just yet? It says on their admissions timeline that they send out interview invitations through December and will be interviewing through January of 2019. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist but it seems a little too early to be out for the count.

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Should anyone really give up hope just yet? It says on their admissions timeline that they send out interview invitations through December and will be interviewing through January of 2019. Maybe I'm too much of an optimist but it seems a little too early to be out for the count.

How would they send IIs through December if the last day they interview is December 10th?

How would they send IIs through December if the last day they interview is December 10th?
I would imagine they begin opening up January dates in mid to late November. Most of the schools I've applied to have rolling schedule availability.

For specific programs like PRIME they actually only start II in December for January dates. Maybe that’s what they’re referring to?

Anyone who interviewed recently have an update on what they said about when they would release first acceptances?

I interviewed within the past week, and the dean said the first batch of acceptances would likely be released next week!

Reactions: 11 users
Wait..really?
Yep, although I’m not sure why they do that. Some folks who have applied PRIME have already been referred to SOM, so they are giving out some info to us, but I haven’t seen Rs yet.

Yep, although I’m not sure why they do that. Some folks who have applied PRIME have already been referred to SOM, so they are giving out some info to us, but I haven’t seen Rs yet.

Oh cool! that's good to know. I had counted myself out for UCLA given that I saw their last interview was mid-december, but I didn't know PRIME was different from the regular SOM.

Oh cool! that's good to know. I had counted myself out for UCLA given that I saw their last interview was mid-december, but I didn't know PRIME was different from the regular SOM.
Same, although it does make me worry how applying PRIME affects our chances at regular MD. I applied PRIME because I love the program, but I don't think my app is well suited too it, so my odds are low. I would hate to think anyone passed by PRIME will miss out on a chance at regular MD just because their app gets passed so late

I interviewed within the past week, and the dean said the first batch of acceptances would likely be released next week!
Thank you!! Won't get my hopes up in case I don't hear anything but good to know it definitely won't be as late as the holidays!

Same, although it does make me worry how applying PRIME affects our chances at regular MD. I applied PRIME because I love the program, but I don't think my app is well suited too it, so my odds are low. I would hate to think anyone passed by PRIME will miss out on a chance at regular MD just because their app gets passed so late
I was worried about that too but from last year’s thread we it appears that they still accept people to SOM who were deferred from PRIME all the way until July. I hope they use a similar system this year.

Reactions: 4 users
I was curious about this too and did some digging around last year's UCLA PRIME thread. It sounds like PRIME applicants will know by mid-December whether they are offered an interview. By mid-March all of should know whether we have been accepted, rejected or passed on to regular SOM admissions. Given the early cycle this year I was concerned that there may not be any additional spots left for SOM, but here's what was posted:

Mm interesting find. I hope PRIME and MD-only committees review our applications concurrently to avoid any delays for those of us that aren't considered for PRIME in the end

Could anyone who's interviewed here lmk how the interview day is:
- general vibe: chill? or not?
- MMI: how many stations, time?
- 1v1 interviews: conversational or getting grilled?
My interview is tomorrow and i'm trying to do some last minute prep. Appreciate all the help

My interview is tomorrow and i'm trying to do some last minute prep. Appreciate all the help

We signed an agreement not to disclose anything specific about the interview. However, definitely a relaxed atmosphere compared to my other interviews, and the people I talked to while there agreed. Good luck!

We signed an agreement not to disclose anything specific about the interview. However, definitely a relaxed atmosphere compared to my other interviews, and the people I talked to while there agreed. Good luck!

Agree definitely relaxed. Suggest just reviewing your primary and secondary essays well so you are ready if they have a question.

I thought the agreement was just not to release any topic discussed in MMI and One-on-One

You will see how happy the students are there. They are so happy.

MMI 4 stations + 2 rest stations. 10 minutes per station.
2 Faculty interviews. 20 minutes each. Open File.
Good vibe, great people

This was my interview experience in October.

I thought the agreement was just not to release any topic discussed in MMI and One-on-One

You might be right, but I just figured I'd rather be safe than sorry and not discuss any specifics!

Also, I want to echo how happy the students were - and in my experience, all of the faculty I met, too. I would be thrilled to get the chance to go to school here.