2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Geffen scholarship here!! Informed yesterday and I interviewed early October. I got the travel award from UCLA soon after my interview (I think this is because of my financial status. Fyi: I had my application fees waived for most med schools).
I was between UCLA and some out of state schools, but I think this scholarship made the decision for me to stay in California.
Good luck everyone! Let me know if I can answer any related questions

Wait so you got the travel award after your interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!!! When did you hear back? Also did you upload any updates after your interview?

I heard back today! I uploaded an update like two weeks ago, had a bunch of new research I wanted to update on.

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like them Geffy's are starting to roll out little by little

Did you ask admissions for it, or was it just auto-awarded to you? I got FAP for the application, but no travel award
Got the travel award after my interview. Didn’t ask for it (I didn’t even know that was available)

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone share their experience as a married student here? I am getting married soon and am planning to live with my SO at whatever school I attend. However I am still very social and have a little bit of FOMO since I would not be living in Weyburn (which is for single students only, i believe). Are there perhaps off-campus apartments close by to the Weyburn apts to make me feel like I’m still part of the student community?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Isn't life supposed to end after getting married? ... but for real congrats on the marriage. I'm wondering the same thing about housing

There are definitely off-campus apartments all over Westwood, and even those people who live off campus end up feeling pretty integrated (in my opinion!). I think the first few weeks are rougher socially if you don't live in Weyburn because people are just randomly like "come hang out at my apartment in 10 min!" but after that we (at least the MS1s) end up spending a lot of our time on campus studying together so you don't feel that much FOMO! I can think of a few people who don't live in Weyburn and still don't feel any less socially a part of the class than the rest of us.

Reactions: 1 users
@ms UCLA goers
I was accepted 11/25, but I had kinda a weird interview experience. This was my dream school, but when I went, I didn't love it. During the tour, these other students yelled out to us, "Don't go here! It's hard." When I asked one of my interviewers about clinical/community/doctoring opportunities, he said that you kinda do it yourself. He made it sound like UCLA didn't emphasize these things that much, and you're supposed to already be great/do it on your own. When I asked him about what sets UCLA apart, he said that it was UCLA/it's the brand/prestige. I was really turned off! And everyone on this thread is talking about how the students are so happy, but my tour people compared to other schools I visited didn't seem like it as much. I think I'm still gonna go here/I'm stoked that I got in, but I kinda want to hear more about people's experiences/opportunities/the school.

Also where should I live?
Also should I bring my car? Am from the East coast, but I love driving
What are the people like? Are people pretentious? Do they like to hangout together?

I bolded the stuff that I'm curious about as well.
If you want someone to talk to about how happy they are or the good and the bad of the school, I'm here to talk and happy to chat! And also honestly surprised that you heard this, I feel like I know a lot of the tour guides and can't imagine any of the ones I know saying that. Also, congratulations on your acceptance!!!!

Anyone know how many total acceptances they are sending out this year?

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if they’re done sending out IIs?
Am also wondering this with respect to UCLA PRIME...
people offered an II for PRIME have until Dec. 3rd to respond--after this, maybe the people who did not get an II (like me), will be moved to MD only... But, if there are no IIs left, I am essentially rejected by UCLA (PRIME and MD only) already? hmm

Am also wondering this with respect to UCLA PRIME...
people offered an II for PRIME have until Dec. 3rd to respond--after this, maybe the people who did not get an II (like me), will be moved to MD only... But, if there are no IIs left, I am essentially rejected by UCLA (PRIME and MD only) already? hmm
I got transferred to MD only from PRIME a couple weeks ago. I asked admissions whether this would affect my chances of getting an II for MD only this late in the game and they said that I should not be concerned as there are "sufficient spaces" if I were to be offered an interview. I'm not sure what to make of it but wanted to share with this group

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone that interviewed mid-late Oct heard back yet?

Is there a place to leave our bags during the interview so I could go straight to the airport after?
Also, any general tips for the interview at this school?

Is there a place to leave our bags during the interview so I could go straight to the airport after?
Also, any general tips for the interview at this school?

Yeah they have space for them in the room where they give the presentations

Are they receptive to in the area request? I am coming from NY to SF and think SF may be close enough to LA??

Are they receptive to in the area request? I am coming from NY to SF and think SF may be close enough to LA??

UCs dont respond to ITA requests, and especially with UCLA's interview season ending so soon I wouldnt expect it to do anything

Every time I get a notification I jump out of my seat thinking more decisions have been released. But alas it's just an interestingly extensive discussion on the riveting topic of how close SF is to LA

Reactions: 13 users
I really wish they were more transparent about their decisions post-interview. A couple of cycles ago, my friend interviewed sometime in October and didn't hear anything back until he started medical school in August, where it was a rejection.

I really wish they were more transparent about their decisions post-interview. A couple of cycles ago, my friend interviewed sometime in October and didn't hear anything back until he started medical school in August, where it was a rejection.

I'm pretty sure they don't reject people until the end of the summer, but if you look at past years they do seem to accept people off the waitlist through the summer. Just remember that there are brilliant people at every medical school, so even if it doesn't work out at one school, it doesn't mean that you will be any less of a physician at the end of the day. :)

Or 1.5 hour flight...same price as an east coast Amtrak if you do Southwest
46 hour bike ride for those wanting a little exercise between interviews to de-stress

Reactions: 13 users
Does everyone have a “UID” at the top of the portal by their name?

ACCEPTED!! Interviewed 9/28
Received an email to check portal
Cannot believe it. This is my dream school

Reactions: 19 users
ACCEPTED!! Interviewed 9/28
Received an email to check portal
Cannot believe it. This is my dream school

Congratulations!!! Now that you're in and all is done, be the hero we need but don't deserve, call the admissions office, and ask them when the other decisions are supposed to come out.

Reactions: 10 users
I interviewed 10/20 and am really hoping that they are starting to look at the October interviewers, as opposed to having already done so... October boys, I think the time is nigh.

I interviewed 10/20 and am really hoping that they are starting to look at the October interviewers, as opposed to having already done so... October boys, I think the time is nigh.
Given that they are still releasing Sept acceptances right now, It seems logical that there is still a good batch of october acceptances coming out, hopefully soon.

Is it safe to say that IIs are no longer being extended? Applied to PRIME and did not get an II during what I think is the first and only wave last week.

I just called the admissions office and they said that "additional interview invites are still being sent out." When asked if mid-December will be the conclusion of the interview period she said "Yes, but additional days might be added, depending on what the committee wants and needs to do"

Hopefully a sliver of hope for some of us. ><

Reactions: 4 users
I just called the admissions office and they said that "additional interview invites are still being sent out." When asked if mid-December will be the conclusion of the interview period she said "Yes, but additional days might be added, depending on what the committee wants and needs to do"

Hopefully a sliver of hope for some of us. ><
What about prime II? Anymore gonna send out u know?

I'm sad to say, but earlier on the thread there were a few people who had interviewed in October that had gotten accepted

I'm sad to say, but earlier on the thread there were a few people who had interviewed in October that had gotten accepted

I only recall seeing one; regardless, I think it's safe to say that most of the people who have been accepted are September interviewees.

Any September interviewees still not hear anything?

Reactions: 6 users
What about prime II? Anymore gonna send out u know?
Unfortunately, I didn't ask about PRIME. But it might mean that those of us who did not get PRIME may still have a shot to be transferred to the MD review pile.