2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Today is a good day for a lot of us! But I will not count yourselves out of the game yet! There's only going to be more!

Reactions: 6 users
Has anybody that interviewed early November heard back? Its been dead silent and its freaking me out!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a call from Dr. Hall. He told me that 2nd look is April 6th and 7th and also that I got the Geffen Scholarship, and I can't breathe.

This was after I received an emailed acceptance with no scholarship and they told me that if you get an acceptance, the scholarship would be included, and he said they're sending me an updated acceptance letter. Holy ****.

congrats!! that's so awesome. do you know how often they give geffens after the fact? currently in a similar situation -- accepted with no scholarship. i'm weighing dgsom with another top tier acceptance, but a merit scholarship from DGSOM would make me come there 100%

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats!! that's so awesome. do you know how often they give geffens after the fact? currently in a similar situation -- accepted with no scholarship. i'm weighing dgsom with another top tier acceptance, but a merit scholarship from DGSOM would make me come there 100%
I was in a similar boat! But unfortunately, I have no idea. I would assume most people with Geffens would post on SDN and ~20% get the Geffen so maybe go through and see how many have it so far and make your assumption based off that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

How large did they say UCLA's class would be this year? I recall hearing that it would be smaller but not certain.

Reactions: 1 user
How large did they say UCLA's class would be this year? I recall hearing that it would be smaller but not certain.
Dean Hall said they were shooting for 120 acceptances by mid Jan

Accepted today! Interviewed early October. My first acceptance as well :)

Reactions: 8 users
It's silly how they string us along forever isn't it? Does the cycle really need to be anywhere near this long? The answer is no.

This school wasn't my top choice (it might have been had I learned more about the Gefden scholarship), and managed to do very well this cycle but yeah it doesn't make sense to string people along if you're done interviewing. Let us know. I can I imagine how stressful this is for people wait to hear back for even their first interview let alone their first acceptance.

Any early October people feeling super depressed too :sorry:

Interviewed early October. Definitely fretting because they still have to get through November and early December interviewees.

Hope more of us early interviewees will hear back good news. I really don't want to play the waitlist game.

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed in September and still waiting to hear. I have completed OChem III and Biochem II (quarter system) since I submitted my application, both with As. Should I submit an update with transcripts?

Interviewed in September and still waiting to hear. I have completed OChem III and Biochem II (quarter system) since I submitted my application, both with As. Should I submit an update with transcripts?

It seems like we only get 5 updates in the portal. If you think that is a significant update, I would add it to your file. I'd personally combine it with some other updates about work/activities and attach it as one update.

also interviewed in september...is it too late for us :'(

Did Dean Hall ever say if/when they will tell applicants who were waitlisted or rejected post-interview? Is it just going to be a situation where if we don't hear back by January, we're automatically waitlisted? I feel tempted to call admissions to ask about this but that's probably just a reflection of my disappointment from not hearing anything yesterday.

Reactions: 2 users
It seems like we only get 5 updates in the portal. If you think that is a significant update, I would add it to your file. I'd personally combine it with some other updates about work/activities and attach it as one update.

Did Dean Hall ever say if/when they will tell applicants who were waitlisted or rejected post-interview? Is it just going to be a situation where if we don't hear back by January, we're automatically waitlisted? I feel tempted to call admissions to ask about this but that's probably just a reflection of my disappointment from not hearing anything yesterday.

Yeah I think I will combine it with a letter that also describes work/activities update. Just realized this quarter's grade don't officially come out until next Wednesday so I have to wait...story of our lives. I don't remember Dean Hall saying anything about if/when they will notify waitlists/rejects. Feeling the same dread/disappointment as you for sure.

i think calling them would be a good idea. if you do, let me know what they say!

So I’m in the minority for getting accepted without the full ride? Lmao what is going on this year

73/120 =/= 20% yo... what's going on...

Our class size is roughly 180 students when you combine all four tracks (and students from all tracks can qualify for this scholarship).

Also, there are folks who do not matriculate to DGSOM (despite receiving a Geffen scholarship), so that may account for why the number of offers is so high.

Quick question: Do you get the call from the dean only when you got Geffen scholarship? Or do you get a call even if you get accepted without scholarship?

Accepted on Thursday, but I couldn't answer the call because I was on a flight..

I think UCLA is known for doing that if you look at past year thread. In fact, I think it's a common big name schools' thing
Yeah kinda salty cuz last year my app was way weaker and I got a secondary in august. And this year I got nada.

Quick question: Do you get the call from the dean only when you got Geffen scholarship? Or do you get a call even if you get accepted without scholarship?

Accepted on Thursday, but I couldn't answer the call because I was on a flight..
I got an email with an acceptance then a call for the Geffen. Definitely call back Monday!

Yeah kinda salty cuz last year my app was way weaker and I got a secondary in august. And this year I got nada.

Was there any red flags in your secondary? Maybe there wasn't enough improvement on the topic they think need to be addressed? Or maybe UCLA is not friendly to reapp?

@Laix, @Troyzle and others who got Geffen... any idea what they look for in granting the scholarship? I'm just wondering what chances I have of getting it at this point, since if I don't get it, I will likely go to another school I've been accepted at.

Also does anyone know if there is a deadline by which we have to submit UCLA's "Plan to Enroll" thing in their portal. Thanks!!

@Laix, @Troyzle and others who got Geffen... any idea what they look for in granting the scholarship? I'm just wondering what chances I have of getting it at this point, since if I don't get it, I will likely go to another school I've been accepted at.

Also does anyone know if there is a deadline by which we have to submit UCLA's "Plan to Enroll" thing in their portal. Thanks!!

Good Question for me! I have LM Score of 68, but I would say my EC are one of a kind! So I think by merit they are looking beyond the numbers!

Edit: I don't think they give out Geffen after the acceptance though. I thought it comes with the acceptance.

Good Question for me! I have LM Score of 68, but I would say my EC are one of a kind! So I think by merit they are looking beyond the numbers!

Edit: I don't think they give out Geffen after the acceptance though. I thought it comes with the acceptance.

Will chime in say my LM is 72. I have a fairly unique life story and a lot of different ECs. It's definitely not all about numbers but I'm sure those don't hurt.

I received the Geffen call after my acceptance email.

Congrats on your acceptance and receiving the Geffen! An incredible accomplishment!

Thanks for sharing your LizzyM, hope you don't mind answering a few questions!
Did you work during college? I noticed that UCLA's secondary has room specifically for work experience, which I definitely took advantage of since I worked throughout college. Also, what was your assessment of your interview performance?