Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. art2018

Medical Student (Accepted)
    A mid-September interviewee here but I feel your pain :/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    foodholic, Kycie, MrsDrDr and 2 others like this.
  2. TempuraOreos

Pre-Medical, Medical Student (Accepted)
    This school wasn't my top choice (it might have been had I learned more about the Gefden scholarship), and managed to do very well this cycle but yeah it doesn't make sense to string people along if you're done interviewing. Let us know. I can I imagine how stressful this is for people wait to hear back for even their first interview let alone their first acceptance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    reddyice likes this.
  3. rob1233

People in this thread emailed the adcom and they said december 10th was the last day

4. minimato

Pre-Medical
    Interviewed early October. Definitely fretting because they still have to get through November and early December interviewees.

Hope more of us early interviewees will hear back good news. I really don't want to play the waitlist game.

5. e2468

thanks!

6. MrsDrDr

Pre-Medical
    Interviewed in September and still waiting to hear. I have completed OChem III and Biochem II (quarter system) since I submitted my application, both with As. Should I submit an update with transcripts?

Kycie likes this.
  7. willowseeker394

also interviewed in september...is it too late for us :'(

Kycie likes this.
  8. minimato

Pre-Medical
    It seems like we only get 5 updates in the portal. If you think that is a significant update, I would add it to your file. I'd personally combine it with some other updates about work/activities and attach it as one update.

Did Dean Hall ever say if/when they will tell applicants who were waitlisted or rejected post-interview? Is it just going to be a situation where if we don't hear back by January, we're automatically waitlisted? I feel tempted to call admissions to ask about this but that's probably just a reflection of my disappointment from not hearing anything yesterday.

9. MrsDrDr

Pre-Medical
    Yeah I think I will combine it with a letter that also describes work/activities update. Just realized this quarter's grade don't officially come out until next Wednesday so I have to wait...story of our lives. I don't remember Dean Hall saying anything about if/when they will notify waitlists/rejects. Feeling the same dread/disappointment as you for sure.

Kycie and minimato like this.
  10. willowseeker394

i think calling them would be a good idea. if you do, let me know what they say!

Kycie likes this.
  11. mangotangowangojango

Dean Hall said 73 Geffen scholarships were offered last year and they plan to offer more this year!

12. Laix

73/120 =/= 20% yo... what's going on...

13. SpashMountain12

SpashMountain12 SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    So I’m in the minority for getting accepted without the full ride? Lmao what is going on this year

14. f4reignbeauty

f4reignbeauty Nature lover <3
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Our class size is roughly 180 students when you combine all four tracks (and students from all tracks can qualify for this scholarship).

Also, there are folks who do not matriculate to DGSOM (despite receiving a Geffen scholarship), so that may account for why the number of offers is so high.

Laix likes this.
  15. MomJeansandDadJorts

I never got a secondary and not even a rejection. Wut

LemonNation likes this.
  16. Laix

I think UCLA is known for doing that if you look at past year thread. In fact, I think it's a common big name schools' thing

17. Laix

What do you all think?

18. hermioneweasley111

Quick question: Do you get the call from the dean only when you got Geffen scholarship? Or do you get a call even if you get accepted without scholarship?

Accepted on Thursday, but I couldn't answer the call because I was on a flight..

19. MomJeansandDadJorts

Yeah kinda salty cuz last year my app was way weaker and I got a secondary in august. And this year I got nada.

20. Troyzle

I got an email with an acceptance then a call for the Geffen. Definitely call back Monday!

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

21. Laix

Was there any red flags in your secondary? Maybe there wasn't enough improvement on the topic they think need to be addressed? Or maybe UCLA is not friendly to reapp?

22. precisiongraphic

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    That's likely.

tshabalalala likes this.
  23. swamip

@Laix, @Troyzle and others who got Geffen... any idea what they look for in granting the scholarship? I'm just wondering what chances I have of getting it at this point, since if I don't get it, I will likely go to another school I've been accepted at.

Also does anyone know if there is a deadline by which we have to submit UCLA's "Plan to Enroll" thing in their portal. Thanks!!

24. Laix

Good Question for me! I have LM Score of 68, but I would say my EC are one of a kind! So I think by merit they are looking beyond the numbers!

Edit: I don't think they give out Geffen after the acceptance though. I thought it comes with the acceptance.

25. restitutor

2+ Year Member

Will chime in say my LM is 72. I have a fairly unique life story and a lot of different ECs. It's definitely not all about numbers but I'm sure those don't hurt.

premedlurkerlolz likes this.
  26. Troyzle

I received the Geffen call after my acceptance email.

27. teriyakibeef

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Congrats on your acceptance and receiving the Geffen! An incredible accomplishment!

Thanks for sharing your LizzyM, hope you don't mind answering a few questions!
    Did you work during college? I noticed that UCLA's secondary has room specifically for work experience, which I definitely took advantage of since I worked throughout college. Also, what was your assessment of your interview performance?

28. Throwaway21234567

I think Laix probably has incredibly unique ECs AND is really good at writing. that is my guess.
    I worked nearly full time for 2 years of college as a full time student and it hasn't helped much
    I have the same LizzyM as both of you, and also ORM CA resident, and nothing but silence from UCLA so far--although I applied PRIME, so I suppose I still need to be passed over to MD only soon. So maybe there is a small chance I could still get an II

PB& likes this.
  29. Laix

That's what I meant, You get the email then you get the call on the same date

30. Laix

I have been working since 9th grade, and still working while getting a Master.
    During undergrad I worked 36 hours per week in first year and 1 quarter in the second year before I get the Cali residency, then I worked 20-24 hours per week.
    I think I did good on the MMI, but one can never judge one's performance. Same for traditional. But my bottom line for an interview is to always smile and stay confident(in both physical gesture and tone). I will tell you though, when we the interviewees introduced ourselves and literally 90% of the room came from Ivy, JHK, or big names I was really nervous inside, but I never showed it.
    I can't really describe what my top EC is but I would say it's very unique and I poured my heart and soul into it.
    English was my second language so I don't think I am a good writer lol

teriyakibeef likes this.
  31. Troyzle

No. Haha. Mine was on a completely different date. Like 2 weeks later.

32. Laix

Wow! Congrats!

33. restitutor

2+ Year Member

To add on I got the call first followed by an email a few hours later! It seems pretty random overall! Hoping everyone hears good news though!

34. hermioneweasley111

So it seems like only those who got the Geffen scholarships get a direct call from the dean?

Can anyone confirm this?

35. Laix

Best confirmation just to call the office and ask :p

36. Synthetase

Pre-Medical
    Any post II rejections?

37. Kycie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    nothing

38. puahate

puahate Probationary Status
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What is UCLA's new GPA/MCAT cutoff?

39. hiitsme1234

For those accepted, is there a deposit that we have to pay? I didn’t see anything online

40. SpashMountain12

SpashMountain12 SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    Doesn't look like it!

41. hermioneweasley111

For those of you who got the geffen call, did the number come from a Santa Monica caller ID or Los Angeles caller ID?

Who.TF.is.LizzyM. likes this.
  42. minimato

Pre-Medical
    I'm not totally sure about this, but I've heard it's 514 - is this for next cycle? Also, if this is actually true, it seem crazy to have such a huge shift considering that's their median MCAT on their website. They've been one of the top programs that has been very forgiving of numbers, so I was surprised when I saw this.

I'm pretty sure it's LA. I also got the Santa Monica call and I jumped in my chair before I picked up, and it was a spam caller. I can't explain the rollercoaster of emotions I felt in those couple of seconds.

Laix and Synthetase like this.
  43. Synthetase

Pre-Medical
    I just got a similar call a few minutes ago and I’ve been sweating buckets ever since. I really need to go a few weeks without my phone or I’m going to get a heart attack ffs

burb likes this.
  44. ays0110

Pre-Medical
    I am over the moon at receiving an II from UCLA just now.
    I was rejected from the MD/PHD program two weeks ago and transferred over to the MD-only. Didn't think I had a chance, but here it is.

45. this is_a foreground

MD II right now!!! Rejected from PRIME and transferred to MD-only, grateful for this chance :horns:
    Complete 8/29, LM 70 IS

#1195 this is_a foreground, Dec 19, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
  46. PB&

PB&

Congrats! Omg I thought they were done. >< Do you mind sharing what dates are available?

47. this is_a foreground

I didn't see dates on my calendar (some technical glitch), but called admissions and got a late Jan interview

PB& likes this.
  48. hermioneweasley111

How did you contact the admissions office? I've been trying to call but no answer for the past few days.

49. lococola

IIRC the rest of the interviews are for people referred from MD/PhD or PRIME

tshabalalala and PB& like this.
  50. this is_a foreground

(310) 825-6081