Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

  1. Kamelo&K

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2018
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    3
    Congrats!!!! If you don't mind me asking, were you deferred to MD only recently or a while ago? I applied PRIME but haven't heard anything yet
     
    wesleysnipes likes this.
  2. wesleysnipes

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2017
    Messages:
    464
    Likes Received:
    554
    it seems like the dream is still alive for the PRIME and MSTP reject gang
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    TwinOne, PB& and ays0110 like this.
  3. hermioneweasley111

    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2018
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    1
    It always goes straight to the automated voice message. What did you do?
     
  4. freedoctor17

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2016
    Messages:
    1,803
    Likes Received:
    1,605
    Status:
    Pre-Medical, Medical Student (Accepted)
    Might be a stupid question but are you calling during business hours?
     
  5. Itdistractsfromthenow

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2018
    Messages:
    53
    Likes Received:
    101
    Anyone think there will be more calls today? Or do we think UCLA is finished with acceptance calls for the year?
     
    premedlurkerlolz likes this.
  6. this is_a foreground

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2018
    Messages:
    56
    Likes Received:
    71
    Thank you!! I was deferred to MD a month ago
     
    wesleysnipes likes this.
  7. this is_a foreground

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2018
    Messages:
    56
    Likes Received:
    71
    aw that's annoying. I just called (during business hours, as freedoctor17 brought up)
     
    freedoctor17 likes this.
  8. Synthetase

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2018
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    52
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Idk. In any case, I’m about to send an update/LOI tomorrow when I get my final grades
     
  9. nekoatsume

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2017
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    123
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    PRIME applicant, just got the shift to MD only. Completed 10/11.

    As an aside, they took out the weird "congratulations" part of the email of of y'all were complaining about before lol
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    burb and PB& like this.
  10. husk

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2018
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    1
    When we’re you transferred to MD only? I just got transferred today. Still hoping hey are offering interviews.
     
    nekoatsume likes this.
  11. PB&

    PB&

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2018
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    105
    +1 as well. complete 8/26 Kinda expected this! I didn't know they preferred someone with connections to CA. Had I known, I would've applied MD only.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. CardioEnthusio15

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2015
    Messages:
    293
    Likes Received:
    163
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Got transferred to MD only as well. Email addressed from PRIME-LA. Does this mean we are no longer considered for both PRIME programs? Westwood and Drew?
     
  13. Zumy10

    Joined:
    May 8, 2018
    Messages:
    129
    Likes Received:
    73
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    When did you interview?
     
  14. Synthetase

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2018
    Messages:
    32
    Likes Received:
    52
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    10/26 :|
     
  15. Zumy10

    Joined:
    May 8, 2018
    Messages:
    129
    Likes Received:
    73
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Oh ok good luck!!
     
    Synthetase likes this.
  16. this is_a foreground

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2018
    Messages:
    56
    Likes Received:
    71
    I got transferred a month ago. My interview is scheduled for late Jan, and I've seen from past years' threads that UCLA has scheduled interviews until March. Best of luck, friend :xf:
     
  17. puahate

    puahate Probationary Status
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    517
    Likes Received:
    515
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I am applying in 2019 and I like UCLA but i am just not sure if it is worth it to apply here.
     
  18. burb

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2018
    Messages:
    136
    Likes Received:
    170
    If you really like it, it is worth it! Are there specific concerns that you have? Or is your thought that it may be too competitive? I would never have expected an II from here in a million years, and honestly I was mostly encouraged to apply because I'm IS. You can see my stats below; they're nothing special, but for some reason I'm heading to LA in January for an interview. I think the one thing I learned from this cycle is that everything is just one big surprise!
    [​IMG]
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    bree95 and Laix like this.
  19. puahate

    puahate Probationary Status
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2014
    Messages:
    517
    Likes Received:
    515
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    Ill give it a shot then. IDK because I see IS people not getting secondaries with great stats and ECs. Then I see people like @Laix getting scholarships. I am OOS too so the bar is probably even higher for me. I am just in a toss up. I DO want to go to UCLA but is it even worth it to send in the primary. I keep on hearing about this "cut-off" but I dont know what it is and MSAR does not really help with showing the cutoffs since I think theu pool UCLA/Drew applicants in as well.
     
  20. burb

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2018
    Messages:
    136
    Likes Received:
    170
    Hmmm, yeah there are a lot of factors to consider when applying. I also hear you on your concern about the new cut-off--I also do not know much about that so it brings in a new unknown. Honestly, I know this sounds cheesy, but your application will be unique to you so I would be cautious about extrapolating from other folks on SDN, especially given that this is only a small portion of the entire applicant pool. If you have an advisor, I might discuss these pros and cons with them so that they can hopefully give you slightly more objective info about your chances. Seriously though, if you like this school I would go for it (even if the chances are low!). I would have always regretted not applying, even if I end up getting rejected.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  21. wesleysnipes

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2017
    Messages:
    464
    Likes Received:
    554
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  22. Laix

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2017
    Messages:
    316
    Likes Received:
    499
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    My stat is not spectacular at all(Besides having 99th and 100th percentile on B/B and C/P). In fact, I was screen out of 10 schools before even getting their secondary. However, I made it to UCLA with Geffen. This only means that UCLA is truly holistic, that they take your journey, origin, background, status, struggles into consideration when they look at your stat and ECs. I will have to proudly say that I have poured a lot of my college life into developing my personality and self-growth throughout college in the form of ECs and that I have faced chronic life struggles. I think UCLA is impressed by my resilience and ability to hold on to science despite all the challenges. At least, it's the only reason I can think of.
     
  23. wesleysnipes

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2017
    Messages:
    464
    Likes Received:
    554
    UCLA is the least stat hungry school in the top 10. Just look at the MCAT and GPA ranges on the MSAR. They are truly holistic while other schools just claim to be.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  24. meronebib

    Joined:
    May 2, 2018
    Messages:
    57
    Likes Received:
    58
    Status:
    Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    They are very holistic, but the MSAR ranges don't give the full picture. If I'm not mistaken, both PRIME and Drew stats are included in the MSAR. Also, I heard that UCLA is going to have a 514 MCAT cutoff soon? I don't know for certain, but that's what I've heard.
     
  25. begginandpleadin

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2018
    Messages:
    47
    Likes Received:
    28
    Has anyone who interviewed in late October gotten a geffen?


    Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
     
  26. supermanmd2019

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2018
    Messages:
    26
    Likes Received:
    16
    I submitted around 9/20 and am figuring out when I would receive an II. Anyone who completed around the same time received II already?
     
  27. rball

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2018
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    72
    Status:
    Medical Student
    As a resident on the west coast, I have a few med student friends at UCLA, and I just want to counter the misconception posted above that UCLA is holistic. In past years, yes UCLA was holistic and was committed to building a diverse class. Recently, not as much.

    UCLA has changed their admissions over this past year to focus heavily on stats at the expense of diversity. They have instituted a new hard cutoff in terms of GPA and MCAT that is in fact fairly high.

    This can lead to many disadvantaged applicants being screened out, who in years past would have gotten a fair chance. The school might advertise diversity, but their standard MD program has become much, much less diverse than virtually any other top school in the country (at least in terms of racial/ethnic diversity and URM numbers). They get their racial/ethnic diversity solely from the drew and prime programs. Their published stats are very misleading and may not even be entirely accurate. Many students are frustrated about this change in philosophy by the school and this deception of applicants.

    My advice to people considering ucla (or really any medical school) is to talk to students who actually study there and who are not directly associated with admissions. That will give you a better idea of what the school is really like.
     
    #1227 rball, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  28. wesleysnipes

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2017
    Messages:
    464
    Likes Received:
    554
    what are the MCAT/GPA cutoffs?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  29. Laix

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2017
    Messages:
    316
    Likes Received:
    499
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)

    I will have to counter this with my own experience. I don't think "having friends who are UCLA" is a valid source for anything. If anything the tone of this post feels a bit like coming from a rejected student. Just my two cents, n of 1.
     
    wesleysnipes likes this.
  30. Sadigh

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2018
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    6
    I disagree with this. Being a research assistant at the school of medicine, an undergrad at UCLA, interviewing at the med school, and knowing many of the medical students and professors, I can tell you that this is not true. They are very holistic in their selection process and don’t see grades and mcat as a cut off.
     
  31. rball

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2018
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    72
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Laix, you can look at my post history dating back to last year and see that I’m not a rejected student.

    Not really sure why you want to make it personal, I’m just sharing my perspective knowing several students who actually attend the medical school.

    In response to the post directly above, this is a perspective coming from knowing actual MS1s who attend the school. They had a town hall meeting about the admisions change and new cutoff. If you dont believe me, talk to actual med students who attend the school.

    In response to the cutoff question, i think it was around a 87 percentile on mcat...don’t remember the gpa though.

    Not trying to attack ucla-phenomenal reputation coast to coast in all things medicine, and anybody who gets in there should feel very lucky. I just want to warn future applicants and propsective students against misconceptions about the school.

    My advice still stands - talk to people who actually attend the school and who arent directly involved in admissions to learn more about it.
     
    #1231 rball, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  32. Laix

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2017
    Messages:
    316
    Likes Received:
    499
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)

    My apology, I never had the habit of clicking on someone's username to find out the hospital. Still, this is SDN and no one knows the truth, it's all speculation.
     
  33. rball

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2018
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    72
    Status:
    Medical Student
  34. Laix

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2017
    Messages:
    316
    Likes Received:
    499
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    In that exact article:" We know, for example, that performance on MCAT, like many standardized tests, is confounded by socio-economic status and privilege." If a school that is aware and considering this fact isn't as holistic as you claim, then idk what is.

    In fact, I think this article actually enhances the credibility of the school's holistic admission.
     
  35. rball

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2018
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    72
    Status:
    Medical Student
    First of all, i dont want to invalidate your success or get into an argument w/you or anything like that. Congrats on getting into UCLA and your Geffen, that is amazing and you should be proud.

    The article states that there is a new hard cutoff mcat and gpa, which is exactly what I said before you attacked me and claimed that my post sounded like a UCLA reject.

    It is great that the dean says she values diversity. I’m just talking about what has actually happened at the school. It is true that there is now a hard GPA/MCAT cuttoff, and it is true that the school has dissolved its disadvantaged subcommittee from the admissions process. It is true that the class has lost much of its racial/ethnic diversity because of these changes. It is true that some students are upset and hurt by these changes. Go to second look, talk to many current students who are not directly involved with admissions, and see for yourself.

    I just want to guard applicants against patently false claims that ucla “is truly holistic while other schools just claim to be”. You’ll find that at least compared to the standard MD program, many other top schools have become more holistic than UCLA, not less.
     
    #1235 rball, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  36. Sadigh

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2018
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    6
    Have you ever thought of maybe trying for law school?
     
  37. rball

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2018
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    72
    Status:
    Medical Student
    No actually I'm perfectly happy to have an MD and to be pursuing a career in medicine.. incredibly rewarding. Just out here trying to clarify some misconceptions; there were def a ton of misconceptions back when I was applying too.

    Thanks for trying to make it personal though, you two seem to really have a knack for that. I see you're in your application cycle, best of luck with the process and hopefully you'll end up somewhere you like.
     
  38. StanleyYelnats

    StanleyYelnats I can fix that

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2018
    Messages:
    78
    Likes Received:
    132
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    @wesleysnipes I think it’s a 514 and is most likely a reaction to the fact that UCLA’s Step 1 scores are a lot lower than most other schools in its tier. Still, I think this is a horrible idea
     
  39. Laix

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2017
    Messages:
    316
    Likes Received:
    499
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    I would like to know these schools. Mind drop some names?
     
    minimato likes this.
  40. rball

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2018
    Messages:
    51
    Likes Received:
    72
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Sure - virtually every school that is a peer of UCLA. I'm talking about the standard MD program (not Drew/Prime), and for the MS1 class only (since this was the first class that the policy affected). So schools like Stanford, UCSF, Columbia, Duke, Pritzker, Northwestern, etc etc.

    Again, I am sincerely not trying to bash UCLA, it is a fantastic school as I've said before. I just felt that some of the above comments were misleading to future applicants in light of UCLA's drastic admissions change.
     
    f4reignbeauty likes this.
  41. Sadigh

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2018
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    6
    Hey, just poking some fun. Completely understand your point and wishing you the best of luck. Sure you’re doing great.
     
  42. futuredoc9307

    Verified Account

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2018
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    13
    Thank you for sharing this. Although you're currently not getting much love on this thread, I appreciate you trying to shed light on a reality that could be overlooked by many. I also heard this from some mentors who are on admissions at Geffen. And tbh, if you add 2 and 2 together, the existence of the cdu and prime program which are screened by a completely separate admissions committees but still apart of UCLA make sense. It is the primary form of Geffen retaining an acceptable amount of diversity. Never said great, but acceptable.

    @Laix, I also didn't see the need to respond to the video you posted earlier cause it was just loaded with baloney but I'll point out that the youtuber contradicted himself. Yes, its fine for ucla to have standards. But you are clearly screening out what could be exceptional physicians who may not have outstanding numbers simply bc they experienced a difficult transition into college (which is something the youtuber pointed out himself). Someone who gets a 3.2 but had a 4.0 in a ton of upper division science courses is way more impressive than someone who stayed at a 3.4 throughout. And this same rational can be explained with the MCAT as well. Someone who scores 85th precentile studying on their own without a prep course while working part time and being a full time student is way more impressive than someone who had 3 months of dedicated time solely for the mcat and could afford assistance through a prep company. By creating this new cutoff, you're not even giving what could be very resilient and resourceful students a chance.

    However, I will add my .02 and say in a way this is good. Because it's best to not go somewhere you are not truly wanted, but rather there to just fill a quota. @rball I completely agree with talking to students who have nothing to do with admissions if you want a more accurate and comprehensive view of the school as these types of issues are incredibly important, especially for urm that experience enough isolation in the medical field as it is.
     
    #1242 futuredoc9307, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  43. Almondzzz

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2018
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    12
    To end this argument once and for all:

    Fact #1 - There is a new hard cutoff
    Fact #2 - It began with last year’s applicants
    Fact #3 - there was a town hall about what it means for the school’s diversity
    Fact #5 - the cutoff is not 514 like some have speculated. It has been posted somewhere in the internet if you are really really curious. But I am not sure how secret it is supposed to be so I will not be the one to leak it on here.


    Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
     
    rball and Synthetase like this.
  44. Almondzzz

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2018
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    12
    I am taken aback by the hostility towards @rball when he/she was just trying to help. Everything said is pretty accurate.


    Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
     
  45. f4reignbeauty

    f4reignbeauty Nature lover <3
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2014
    Messages:
    837
    Likes Received:
    1,229
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Please refrain from attacking one another on this thread, applying to medical school is difficult enough. Additionally, I would agree with above posters, instead of speculating about new admissions policies, it is always a great idea to ask current students who are not apart of admissions.

    It also might be best to not ask about this information on SDN either.

    Nonetheless, all of us students here at DGSOM (amongst all 4 tracks) are rooting for you all! We want you to win, and we want you to feel supported. Please try not to stress out too much, and enjoy your holidays.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    this is_a foreground and rball like this.
  46. minimato

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2018
    Messages:
    104
    Likes Received:
    107
    Status:
    Pre-Medical

    Nobody is trying to be hostile here, we are just trying to express our opinions. I agree that UCLA is reducing its diversity with this cutoff but I still disagree with your point that UCLA is less or even at the same level of holistic as these peer schools that you mention. I know several people who interviewed at UCLA solely this cycle or last years cycle and no other T10 or T20 schools. Is this luck or a coincidence? Perhaps. Does it suggest something else? I would think so, as most people who interview at top schools interview at peer institutions. Sure, other schools might not have an MCAT cutoff that is expressed as loudly as UCLA has, but they most likely have these conversations internally to their committee, and there are still cutoffs at top schools. After this policy change for UCLA, I can agree that a matriculant can have a lower MCAT score at Uchicago, but I highly doubt that the uchicago or northwesterns give candidates with an mcat between 510 and 515 equal consideration, they just don’t. So, I wouldn’t say that UCLA is less holistic than any of its peer institutions, at worst it’s equal and I still believe it’s more holistic.
     
    solokey96 likes this.
  47. f4reignbeauty

    f4reignbeauty Nature lover <3
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2014
    Messages:
    837
    Likes Received:
    1,229
    MDApps:
    Status:
    Medical Student
    As you know, applying to medical school is a "toss up." Just because you interview at one Top 10 school, it does not guarantee that you will interview at other Top 10 programs. Hence, why it is always recommended that students create a balanced school list that includes safeties, as well as reaches. That has nothing to do with holistic review either, because, we are not privy to what admissions committees consider merit... nor are we privy to what each of these Top 10 schools are looking for in an applicant.

    Tbh, you all may not have been hostile, or attacking the earlier poster (thus, I apologize for how I phrased my earlier sentiments); however, this conversation is entirely speculation, and not necessarily helpful. If you have additional questions, please feel free to shoot me a PM. I love connecting with, and speaking with premeds!
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    StanleyYelnats likes this.
  48. wesleysnipes

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2017
    Messages:
    464
    Likes Received:
    554
    You had a point with the new cutoffs that were put in place recently, however, there's no way you can tell me that Pritzker and Northwestern have a more holistic admissions criteria than UCLA. Median GPA is 3.91 and MCAT is a 520 for both of these schools. You're trying to tell me that numbers aren't a HUGE part of the admissions process at those two schools?

    Also, does anyone know the new GPA cutoff?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Laix likes this.
  49. StephCurry18

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2018
    Messages:
    10
    Likes Received:
    32
    all this arguing but all I want is a call from Dean Hall :unsure:

    - October Boi
     
  50. StephCurry

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2016
    Messages:
    23
    Likes Received:
    19
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I know right. Also is this new GPA and MCAT cutoff pre II? Or do they also impose those cutoffs after?


    Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
     

Share This Page