Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by gyngyn, Apr 21, 2018.

1. toasty2224

Why would they impose the cutoff after they interview someone..?

2. Itdistractsfromthenow

UCLA is the only top 15 program I've gotten an II from, but their median on MSAR for this past year was 517, wasn't it? It's high, but not at 520+ like some of the other uber-competitive schools.

3. ObjectiveBoba

ObjectiveBoba SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

Pre-Medical
    "One issue at the core of the debate is whether it is appropriate to make the first evaluation of the thousands of applicants based on metrics of MCAT scores and GPAs. Intuitively it seems that some initial selection should be possible to allow for greater holistic review of a subset of the 14,000 applicants."

Seems like the screening policy was instituted, which then caused consternation among faculty/students, which led to the end of the year message being solely focused on admissions policies. I've never seen a dean's corner be so focused on admissions, which is interesting to say the least.

Honestly, I don't think it'll increase too much from a 517. There aren't enough California applicants scoring 520+ to make the mean 520-521 like its peer institutions (since UCLA and UCSF both draw 2/3rds of its matriculants from Californians). You see UCSF facing the same issue regarding MCAT scores. A 520 is what, a 98th percentile? So you have around 2,000 applicants a year with a 520+, of which ~20% are Californians, so only a pool of 400 to choose from -- of which a vast majority may choose other schools.

As an upcoming applicant to UCLA, I'm a bit concerned -- hopefully UCLA can retain its diversity and holistic review that separated it from the other T20s.

#1253 ObjectiveBoba, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    lakertodoc likes this.
  4. wesleysnipes

[​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. thesecretisme123

Did anyone got an secondary or interview from here with an MCAT below a 514 or 512?

6. CryptoNick

How is this guy a credible source? For a large part of the video he is just asking for likes. Seems like social media spam. He quotes Trump too. o_O.

Toutie, Laix and rball like this.
  7. rball

Medical Student
    Just to respond to this - yes numbers are of course a huge part of the process at Pritzker or Northwestern. But look at their MCAT range and GPA range of the MS1 class. Its clear that lower stats applicants still have a shot. Look at the ethnic/racial makeup of their class, its clear that both schools are still fairly diverse. But guess what, for UCLA's incoming class, you won't find this information. They haven't released the profile of their current MS1 class to anybody (from what I hear, MS1s at the school were never given this information either). I wonder why...

My point was simply that by instituting a hard gpa/mcat cutoff, UCLA has moved in the opposite direction in terms of diversity. While other top schools do have high stats, it is clear from their class profiles that they are accepting at least a few lower stats applicants and that they are able to maintain racial/ethnic diversity.

fling105 and wesleysnipes like this.
  8. wesleysnipes

I agree, but all of this depends on how you're looking at things. UCLA puts a hard cutoff at 514 and then probably emphasizes ECs after you surpass that cutoff. Northwestern and Pritzker don't have that cutoff but place a much larger emphasis on having high stats. Overall the medians at Pritzker and Northwestern are not only higher, but significantly higher.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. rball

Medical Student
    I respectfully disagree - the medians you are looking at for UCLA are from one and two years ago, before the cutoffs were in place. UCLA hasn't released the median for this MS1 class, which was the first class on which the hard cutoffs were put into place. So the current median GPA/MCAT for UCLA may be close to or equal to (or even higher than) those stat powerhouse schools. There is no way to know because UCLA has not made that data public yet.

The few MS1s I know at the school were blindsided by the lack of diversity within the standard MD program and the fact that they made it in through cutoffs, given that UCLA was always thought of as a school that values diversity and doesn't care as much about stats. I think it's unfair for current applicants to face these types of misconceptions when applying and deciding where to attend, given how difficult and stressful the process is.

#1259 rball, Dec 22, 2018
    StanleyYelnats and Niendorf like this.
  10. Laix

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Can I ask what type of diversity you are referring to?

11. rball

Medical Student
    Sure - diversity meaning the ethnic/racial diversity within the standard MD MS1 class, excluding Drew and Prime. Very few (barely any/almost zero) URMs in the standard MS1 class. Again now that you're accepted, I'd really recommend talking to MS1s who actually attend the school for more details.

StanleyYelnats likes this.
  12. Laix

The reason why I asked about this is that I know a couple current medical students(5, 3 MS1) there and they told me that everyone they met there has a unique story and that they felt the admission officers did a great job assembly a class that fits well and yet so diverse. I feel like we might be talking to completely different groups of medical students at DGSOM...

13. rball

Medical Student
    Interesting, well I can only speak from what I have heard that the URM numbers are incredibly low. I suppose since its such a large school, different groups of students may feel differently about the diversity.

Definitely talk to current students not involved in admissions about it; what I have heard is that there are some gung-ho students involved w/admissions (this is true of almost all schools), but there are also many, many students who are frustrated.

StanleyYelnats likes this.
  14. Laix

It could be that the URM minority only hang out with each other? People of color do have the tendency of hanging out as a group, at least at the beginning of the school. It also could that the Admission officers focus more on the background story rather than just racial status. I personally know a very wealthy African American who has a better stat than me, but he was not interviewed(far from what I know) at any top 20 medical schools. Also, I would be very careful on claiming anything with the adjective "many, many" if we don't have any valid evidence.

15. rball

Medical Student
    I'm simply saying what I have heard quoted word-for-word from a few MS1s I know very well at UCLA. I'm not trying to give misleading adjectives.

If I were you Laix, I'd be careful about talking down fellow applicants who are going through the same process as you are and may not be as fortunate to have had the same success. I'd also be careful to not make assumptions about people of color.

16. Laix

I am a people of color myself and I speak for my own experience in both how I felt the process turns out for me, and my interactions with people of color. In a way, we on SDN are all had/have the tendency of making assumptions aren't we here?

I do appreciate that you are trying to be helpful and sharing the information, but personally don't appreciate the method of delivering: that you jump on and start accusing the school for being non-holistic and non-diverse focusing while not attending this school. I rarely quote any of my friends' words on anything, especially to the extent of sharing that information to another school's application thread, which prob gets hundreds of pairs of eyes looking at every day. I can't possibly imagine the amount of hope the posts you wrote to the future applicants when they looking over this year's thread. Yet, this is exactly the reason why we all should take SDN with a grain of salt. Like what @CryptoNick claimed, the Youtuber has no valid source and Dr. Martin's report did not publicly announce the exact number of the cutoff for either GPA or MCAT.

As far from the topic you brought up and expressed concerns. I appreciate your advice and again, apologize to my previous rude comment on mislabeling you as a potential rejected student. I am sure there are more serious and intense discussions happening among the admission officers right now as Dr. Martin has claimed in her end of the year report. If you look at my post on this thread throughout this whole process, you should prob get the sense that I am in general a pretty non-optimistic person as I always assume the worst and be surprised by the best. I am not saying that you are wrong, or that what you are claiming isn't happening. I just want to say that I have faith in the school that I am fortunately accepted to with this generous scholarship when it comes to addressing diversity, and limitations that will potentially prevent them from recruiting diverse students.

#1266 Laix, Dec 22, 2018
  17. StanleyYelnats

StanleyYelnats I can fix that

As a “people of color”, you should know better than to generalize all of us with stereotypes- it’s very concerning. I don’t see why that doctor on YouTube would lie about the new admissions standards, and I’ve seen people on Reddit discussing the new cutoff as well. I think it’s a really bad idea because MCAT prep is inherently extremely expensive, and favors the wealthy, who tend not to be underrepresented minorities in medicine. Having a cool life story is not diversity, having a class that reflects the American population is. This will hurt the racial diversity of the school, I guarantee you, and UCLA will be worse off for it.

18. bigal123

Wow, so you accuse someone of using stereotypes and then make some of your own in the same paragraph! You have just won the SDN hypocrite award, my friend.

Laix likes this.
  19. Laix

I am sorry, what?

I didn't indicate that the youtube lied, I simply stated that his claim isn't a valid source of information as MSAR. People's discussion on reddit/sdn, again, is also not a reliable source of information and should be taken with a grain of salt as advised.

UCLA is well aware of that in Dean's Report. Quoting:" We know, for example, that performance on MCAT, like many standardized tests, is confounded by socio-economic status and privilege. "

How can you say that coming from different backgrounds and life origins isn't diverse?? Increasing diversity among the medical students was first initiated to address the increasing diversity among the patient population. According to logic, Asian doctors only care for Asian, White docs only care for white, LGBTQ only for LGBTQ, underserved originated docs only care for the underserved. Since when does it become this black and white? Diversity is not just about race, status, ethnicity, origins, sexual orientation but also about one's uprising story, motivation for medicine, passion and drive, career goals. Through having a diverse class, the school hopes the students will influence and peer educate each other by sharing their stories and experiences to promote social competences in future physicians. I believe not just UCLA, any schools believes in this.

If "This" is referring to a threshold cutoff of the 514/3.5 rumor flying around, then I agree, that the bar is a little too high for a black and white actual cut off. However, I am sure that at least some admission officers share our concerns. However, I would definitely be expecting a cut off for 505/3.2 threshold or something along the line that many top tire schools already utilizing for initial screening.

20. meronebib

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I'm starting to lose interest in this thread.

21. f4reignbeauty

f4reignbeauty Nature lover <3
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    In my four years as a medical student, I have never unwatched a thread until now. Nonetheless, wish everyone the best of luck in their application cycles.

22. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical, Medical Student (Accepted)
    Only reason I'm still following this is in the hopes they're still sending out interviews even though it seems like they're done haha. Good bye cali dreams </3

23. StanleyYelnats

StanleyYelnats I can fix that

K chill. You and @Laix need to stop resorting to personal attacks when y’all have nothing intelligent to contribute, p sure it’s against forum rules. It’s not a stereotype that certain minorities have lower SES and fewer resources. Best of luck to everyone applying! Stanley out

#1273 StanleyYelnats, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    this is_a foreground and rball like this.
  24. chick_fil_eyyy

Same, I get mini palpitations every time this thread is updated thinking acceptances have gone out again

freedoctor17 likes this.
  25. rball

Medical Student
    Look man, I said I didn't want to get into an argument w/you, so this is my last post to you. You need to stop being so defensive. I am not making false or unfair accusations about the school. You've had multiple UCLA students come in here and basically verify what I've said. I attached a dean's report to add credibility to what I said. I gave you the approximate MCAT % cutoff that I had heard, take it or leave it.

I am not trying to mislead anyone, or bring down anybody's hopes. I said, multiple times, that UCLA is a fantastic school and that anybody should be lucky to get in here. From my perspective as a resident, I know of the strong reputation of the school and the number of high achieving residents it places every year. I just think that applicants deserve to have an honest assessment of each school when applying.

You, and another user, made blatantly false claims about UCLA not only to amp up the school, but to also put down other schools (with statements such as UCLA is the only top school committed to diversity). I wanted to correct that misconception, but you have been incredibly defensive about it and I'm sorry if I touched a nerve w/you. Every school has its pros and its cons, and I think applicants deserve to know about both the pros and the cons. This was important to me especially for this school given that I know MS1s who have felt deceived about some of the cons of this school.

Apologies to everybody else about this tangent. Best of luck with the app process, both here and everywhere else.

#1275 rball, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  26. Itdistractsfromthenow

So anyway...

Did September decisions come out over three or two weeks? I'm still being optimistic and holding on to some hope that admissions are still reviewing October interviewees... :)

Zumy10 likes this.
  27. Hirro

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    In the interest of quelling this, I received a secondary but not II with a 513/3.5.

Thank you for your contributions in trying to promote a meaningful discussion, @rball and @f4reignbeauty.

StanleyYelnats and Toutie like this.
  28. esob

esob Protomolecule
    Moderator Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 2+ Year Member

This thread is intended for "school specific discussion," so please limit discourse in this thread to the topic at hand. There are plenty of other areas to discuss challenging issues in medicine but this is the not the place for them as most users watching this thread are looking for specific info about Geffen.

analbeadamulet and stephthelorax like this.
  29. TearsonmyMCAT

I'm actually mad at myself at this point for emailing them about my application in October and giving them my secondary money just to be rejected in April :mad::mad::mad:

Astrotist likes this.
  30. husk

So are there interview a left for those denied by PRIME and suggested to MD?

31. evolog

Does anybody know how the travel award is given? Is it for applicants they are likely to accept or based on financial state (like FAP)?

32. RunIt23

Pre-Medical
    I got a secondary and have below a 514.

33. gonz

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just gonna ask again because I saw that it didn't get a response earlier but... do they do post-ii rejections or is it typically just silence?

freedoctor17, gogojo and Kycie like this.
  34. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

In the past they didn't send rejections until June and that was post interview I think so from what I could tell it was just silent rejections for pre-interview people but the thread was super long (43 pages) so I didn't look super deep.

But also people reported getting interviews all the way through March so I'm confused how this year they're supposedly done interviewing already? Did they change the way they do things this year?

MedHead99 likes this.
  35. Laix

I think last year the students got an email indicating that the class was filled and that acceptance will be released if a spot opens in April.
    I assume this year will be the same case. Dean Hall did mention that they are doing a ranked waitlist this year.

36. meronebib

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Anyone interview in November and get an acceptance?

37. Zumy10

Pre-Medical
    I think there was only one early November

m1995 likes this.
  38. inacrowdofthousands

Pre-Medical
    Still no II or rejection...:shrug:

Astrotist likes this.
  39. Astrotist

Pre-Medical
    UCLA got me messed up this cycle smh

40. rob1233

They shortened the interview season, yes.

m1995 and freedoctor17 like this.
  41. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Dang i was holding out some hope for here still haha, guess my last tiny bit of hope for having a shot at the cali dreams is it Stanford pulls through :p

42. Astrotist

Pre-Medical
    Weird flex but ok

43. freedoctor17

2+ Year Member

Sorry I just realized that makes it sound like Ive actually interviewed there but its been silent from there too. Meant there's still a little hope there because they've been known to send interviews through january in the past so gonna hold out hope for one haha.

Astrotist likes this.
  44. Laix

Happy New Year to this thread. Hope more of you get accepted in the next couple of months and to see some of you in eight months!

m1995, teriyakibeef, burb and 3 others like this.
  45. begginandpleadin

Anyone know when the next round of acceptances might go out

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

evolog likes this.
  46. kakaaw

Pre-Medical
    Jan 15 or so

47. YellowCharmander

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Why Jan 15th? Is that a just a guess or do you have a reason lol

stephthelorax, Synthetase and Zumy10 like this.
  48. Jamba1995

Pre-Medical
    rejected today! Was never sent a secondary to begin with :p Good luck yall!

49. MomJeansandDadJorts

+1.

50. PotatoBug

+2

Sent from my SM-G920T using SDN mobile