2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+1 super pumped now to attend. The hotel they put us in looks pretty tight too
Hell yeah. Might go wild and open up one of those hotel room waters.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm..I didn't get a travel award. Those of you who got travel awards: did you RSVP to the second look weekend? And, did you all get Geffen scholarships?

Reactions: 1 user
Hmm..I didn't get a travel award. Those of you who got travel awards: did you RSVP to the second look weekend? And, did you all get Geffen scholarships?

I did rsvp but did not recieve the Geffen.

Members don't see this ad :)

Yes and Yes. I dont think this is Geffen related. I think it's more likely due to FAP?

Received Geffen, had not yet RSVP'd, from East coast

Just learned that I won't be able to make it to Second Look bc of some family issues :(

Would anyone here be able to speak to the quality of advising at UCLA? One of my primary concerns with the school was that interview day felt a bit disorganized/impersonal; I'm worried that this might translate to getting "lost in the crowd" so to speak with regards to finding research/clinical mentors, etc. My undergrad advising experience was basically that meme of the dog walking itself, so I'm really hoping to attend a med school that's the opposite. Also, would it be very difficult to match back onto the East Coast from UCLA?

Sorry to hear about your interview experience. If you (or anyone else) has feedback on things that should be improved about that day but prefer to do it anonymously, feel free to PM me.

As for advising, I haven't had any issues with it myself. Just the other week, I was actually strongly encouraged to make an advising appoint which I didn't really think I needed for selecting MS4 classes haha, so they definitely keep tabs on you to make sure you feel supported. In terms of assigned mentors, you have the dean of students, the dean of your society who oversees that 25% of the class, clinical preceptor theoretically in your specialty of choice during MS3 , another several college chairs assigned halfway through MS3, and a mentor in your specialty of choice assigned closer to the end of MS3. There are ample research opportunities and meet & greets through specialty interest groups that this shouldn't be an issue. And then of course there's the multiple opportunities to meet your own mentors, through everything from shadowing to cold-emails.

We take a lot of pride in our current student outreach to accepted applicants (although your Facebook class page has been rather quiet so far!), and the culture of student-to-student mentorship collaboration continues throughout all four years. I still text my upperclassmen with questions weekly, receive questions from underclassmen just as frequently, and just this weekend have been trading notes on how to do well on rotations at specific sites with classmates.

I don't think you'll feel like a dog walking yourself. But I also don't want anyone to think that the mentorship here is perfect, nor that the school overall (or any other med school) is perfect. Could the mentorship be more personalized one of our peer institutions with only 40 students/class rather than 180? Probably, simply because it's easier for deans and administrators to remember 40 names. But I don't think your are missing anything critical in regards to mentorship, so your decision on which institution to attend can be guided by other priorities.

If you are interested in still revisiting even though you can't attend second look, reach out to the MS1s working admissions outreach. There is precedent for having students coming back for unofficial second looks, and they may be able to help arrange something for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to hear about your interview experience. If you (or anyone else) has feedback on things that should be improved about that day but prefer to do it anonymously, feel free to PM me.

As for advising, I haven't had any issues with it myself. Just the other week, I was actually strongly encouraged to make an advising appoint which I didn't really think I needed for selecting MS4 classes haha, so they definitely keep tabs on you to make sure you feel supported. In terms of assigned mentors, you have the dean of students, the dean of your society who oversees that 25% of the class, clinical preceptor theoretically in your specialty of choice during MS3 , another several college chairs assigned halfway through MS3, and a mentor in your specialty of choice assigned closer to the end of MS3. There are ample research opportunities and meet & greets through specialty interest groups that this shouldn't be an issue. And then of course there's the multiple opportunities to meet your own mentors, through everything from shadowing to cold-emails.

We take a lot of pride in our current student outreach to accepted applicants (although your Facebook class page has been rather quiet so far!), and the culture of student-to-student mentorship collaboration continues throughout all four years. I still text my upperclassmen with questions weekly, receive questions from underclassmen just as frequently, and just this weekend have been trading notes on how to do well on rotations at specific sites with classmates.

I don't think you'll feel like a dog walking yourself. But I also don't want anyone to think that the mentorship here is perfect, nor that the school overall (or any other med school) is perfect. Could the mentorship be more personalized one of our peer institutions with only 40 students/class rather than 180? Probably, simply because it's easier for deans and administrators to remember 40 names. But I don't think your are missing anything critical in regards to mentorship, so your decision on which institution to attend can be guided by other priorities.

If you are interested in still revisiting even though you can't attend second look, reach out to the MS1s working admissions outreach. There is precedent for having students coming back for unofficial second looks, and they may be able to help arrange something for you.

Do you know when current students will be reaching out to acceptees? I had a few questions and filled out the form but haven’t heard anything

Do you know when current students will be reaching out to acceptees? I had a few questions and filled out the form but haven’t heard anything

Not sure--this is spearheaded by MS1s each year, but they are currently gearing up for the Wednesday's Block 3 exam, which is the hardest of their 5 exams during this year. In the meantime though, don't hesitate to ask q's on the class FB page, as long as you feel comfortable doing so with any q's that aren't too personal in nature!

Hi friends! Anybody get accepted recently? shoutout to end-of-october crew

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Is that all accepted students or incl admin/current students as well?

A significant portion is current med students. However, I would imagine that UCLA has admitted about their class size, as the dean said they planned on doing that by January.

Does anyone know whether there are still any scholarships left to go out/ when scholarship considerations end? I was accepted about a month ago and wondering if there's still a chance!

Reactions: 3 users
Last edited:
Thank you. Is that all accepted students or incl admin/current students as well?
Just to let you know, I'm accepted UCLA and not in the group and not plannign on joining in the near future. I'm sure there's more people like me who aren't inclined to use the groups, so I wouldn't use FB groups as proxies for how many people are going.

Does anyone know whether there are still any scholarships left to go out/ when scholarship considerations end? I was accepted about a month ago and wondering if there's still a chance!
I might be wrong, but I received the scholarship with the acceptance.

anyone else not get a waitlist email? I feel the rejection coming...

Reactions: 5 users
Just called and was told that they are in the middle of the acceptance cycle and that they hope to notify us if we are waitlisted in april...
Also, it was said that they will continue accepting until their class is full.

Brrrrr...not sure what to think now that people are getting WL messages a month earlier than this!

Brrrrr...not sure what to think now that people are getting WL messages a month earlier than this!
Honestly same!!! That is not at all what it sounded like on the phone....

Are we assuming if we haven't heard back post-II by now (A or WL) then it's an R?

Just got an email that the WL notification was sent in error... after 2 AM? Is this a joke?

Last edited:
There has been an error in notification. The alternate/wait list offer was sent in error. We apologize for any inconvenience.

That’s messed up. For what it’s worth, I got the WL email but no error email. Who knows?

Sorry, we’re not ready to move you to our pretty uncertain list, we’re going to keep you on the completely uncertain list

Reactions: 7 users
DGSOM has AOA, correct? How do current medical students feel about this -- does it cause competition/stress? I am weighing DGSOM vs. another top ranked school that likes to advertise that they do not have AOA which they say makes things less competitive.

DGSOM has AOA, correct? How do current medical students feel about this -- does it cause competition/stress? I am weighing DGSOM vs. another top ranked school that likes to advertise that they do not have AOA which they say makes things less competitive.
What is AOA

What is AOA
A K-pop band. You can choose to continue your med school education or join them on tour if you're accepted into AOA.

Jk. But why don't you google it

Reactions: 4 users
I got the email last night, asking me to check portal and was waitlisted. Then I got an email at 4 AM today saying it was a mistake...and I guess I am no longer waitlisted..

Are there people who are actually on the waitlist (i.e. did not get the error email today?)

I feel so disappointed and frustrated with how UCLA runs their admissions. I thought they were going to take feedback from students on how to improve their cycle this year, yet there’s a lack of transparency and mistakes like this without any explanation.

AOA exists but isn't really a thing that is talked about here for whatever reason; probably since the 1st 2 years are P/F w/o internal ranking, so really just the 3rd year grades and rest of CV can matter, and by MS3 we're too busy worrying about other stuff. At least in my class there is no real role of stressing about/competition for AOA in day-to-day life, and we are at the end of MS3. I hear at some schools the AOA thing may factor in more.

Having no AOA at the peer institution you refer to should certainly be a point for them over us, but not a very big point if my class is representative of what yours will be like. I would say presence/absence of internal ranking, and whether or not the MS3/4 grades are also P/F or H/HP/P/F is much more contributory to competitive attitudes and daily stress. Here we have no internal ranking, but MS3/4 grades are H/HP/P/F. The latter is pro for anyone applying to a competitive specialty who wants to shine on their app and honor everything, but a con to anyone applying to less competitive specialties & programs who don't need to honor everything. Personally, I do wish I were at a clinical P/F school since I don't feel the need to pan-honor for my specialty, but YMMV.