2018-2019 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think its safe to say that tuition will be roughly the same as the previous school year: Student Budget/Cost of Attendance - David Geffen School of Medicine - Los Angeles, CA. Maybe add a few hundred to a thousand (for tuition, not room/board), just to be on the safe side as you're planning your finances. Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What’s the story on the admissions website? Think Dean Hall is no longer the dean of admissions?

Reactions: 1 user
What’s the story on the admissions website? Think Dean Hall is no longer the dean of admissions?
Looks like the school is going through a lot right now. I think they’re also planning on changing their curriculum soon.

Looks like it.

r/hmmm
Screenshot_20190501-110957_Chrome.jpeg

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like dgsom has had ample time to adjust to Dr. Hall's departure. I don't think it would significantly affect timing. But, I expect the unexpected with ucla.
it seems as though drew/ucla had movement, but not sure if the same committee decides for drew/ucla. Also not sure how many WL movement there will be this year, since apparently not a lot of people dropped ucla (according to an insider source, but don't hold me on it).

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
it seems as though drew/ucla had movement, but not sure if the same committee decides for drew/ucla. Also not sure how many WL movement there will be this year, since apparently not a lot of people dropped ucla (according to an insider source, but don't hold me on it).

Lol. Is your inside source the director of admissions? Cuz then it might be out of date

Reactions: 3 users

That's devastating to hear...

It’s also hearsay from an anonymous source via a stranger on the internet ?
I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes... just what I heard from someone at UCLA. I’m hoping this also isn’t true since I’m also waiting. Also, I said don’t take my word for it. I was just trying to see if anyone knew anything else/can confirm/deny. A few months prior, I asked admissions about the wl mvt and they said there was going to be substantial wl movement, so I was just trying to see if anyone had more current news...

View attachment 260744
email sent to UCLA staff about a week ago

Wow. The step down feels so immediate. I would have thought he would at least oversee the finish of this current application cycle and given this time for administration to find a new admissions dean, preparing for the next cycle. But life gets in the way and I wish Dr. Hall the best.

To anyone in the facebook group: How many of the 315 currently in it are accepted students (roughly)? Also, does it include CDU? Confused why prior years have nearly 500.. hopefully, it's a good sign?

To anyone in the facebook group: How many of the 315 currently in it are accepted students (roughly)? Also, does it include CDU? Confused why prior years have nearly 500.. hopefully, it's a good sign?
It does include CDU students and usually FB groups are well over the size of the class because many current medical students join as well so they can answer questions etc.

It does include CDU students and usually FB groups are well over the size of the class because many current medical students join as well so they can answer questions etc.
You mean many current medical students join so they can advertise their freaking apartments for subletting lol.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone gotten off the WL? When can us WL folks expect to hear back? I kinda want to call the office and ask, especially with the change in admissions leadership but I also work and I'd need to squeeze time out to call.

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone gotten off the WL? When can us WL folks expect to hear back? I kinda want to call the office and ask, especially with the change in admissions leadership but I also work and I'd need to squeeze time out to call.
This is just me spitballing, but the “big day” was only 2 days ago. Most admissions offices still need to meet and figure all of their strategies out because they now have an updated idea of what their class will look like.

Reactions: 3 users
aww bye Dean Hall. Such a kind, funny guy. Will be missed for sure

So, are there new accepted students trickling into the class FB group?

Reactions: 1 users
So, are there new accepted students trickling into the class FB group?

no.

I would say 50-60% of people I met on a second look who added FB friends with made a committeement post to somewhere else. Including some fellow Geffen scholers. Hope this brings some comforts...

Reactions: 5 users
no.

I would say 50-60% of people I met on a second look who added FB friends with made a committeement post to somewhere else. Including some fellow Geffen scholers. Hope this brings some comforts...
You're the hero this thread has been waiting for.

Reactions: 4 users
3/14 friends at 2nd look I made on FB made announcements they were going elsewhere, but hey, still something!
no.

curious what other schools UCLA admits ended up choosing? I imagine it must have been particularly hard turning down the Geffen!

Only ones I knew were NYU and Harvard.
curious what other schools UCLA admits ended up choosing? I imagine it must have been particularly hard turning down the Geffen!

Any idea when waitlisted candidates will start hearing back?

Any idea when waitlisted candidates will start hearing back?
I called them today, and I was told that no one has been accepted from the waitlist yet. They did not confirm whether the class is already full or not. They are still gathering the numbers...

Reactions: 5 users
I called them today, and I was told that no one has been accepted from the waitlist yet. They did not confirm whether the class is already full or not. They are still gathering the numbers...
Is it possible that no one will get accepted off the waitlist even though accepted candidates have been withdrawn?

I think "plan to enroll" vs "commit to enroll" has limited acceptances and delayed movement across all schools.

There's no actual deadline for when you absolutely have to press that "commit to enroll" button... So technically people can remain in "plan to enroll" until literally weeks before orientation... :meh:

Its interesting that this system takes schools an even longer time to estimate the number of students attending, not just DGSOM specifically. I think schools should just look at how many students have accepted their offer now that its past 5/1. Those that have accepted a school's offer as of now would for sure matriculate if everything ended today. Therefore, the remaining spots or lack thereof would be for those on the WL. And as people withdraw from hereon out, a school would fill the class from the WL. Maybe I'm missing something, but don't schools have all this information and should have a fairly good estimate by now on how many students will attend. On the other hand, I can understand if admissions committee needs to meet to reevaluate the WL.

Its interesting that this system takes schools an even longer time to estimate the number of students attending, not just DGSOM specifically. I think schools should just look at how many students have accepted their offer now that its past 5/1. Those that have accepted a school's offer as of now would for sure matriculate if everything ended today. Therefore, the remaining spots or lack thereof would be for those on the WL. And as people withdraw from hereon out, a school would fill the class from the WL. Maybe I'm missing something, but don't schools have all this information and should have a fairly good estimate by now on how many students will attend. On the other hand, I can understand if admissions committee needs to meet to reevaluate the WL.

I think the following fictional scenario is UCLA dealing with right now
Assuming this is what the adcom has:
Class size(regular MD): 120 (i think? 165 total - 20 prime - 20 CD - 5 MDPHD)
Total # accepted: 180 (assuming they over-accepted judging by 2nd look exp/speech, there were 160+ applicants at the 2nd look...)
Total # accepted committed to UCLA on AMCAS by now: 80
Total # accepted plan to UCLA on AMCAS by now: 50 (waiting for waitlists)
*assuming 50 applicants withdraw their acceptances at UCLA by now

The school now has about 40 spots left. Yet, 50 people have acceptances that guarantee enrollment.

I think it's reasonable for the school to avoid touching the waitlist as little as possible, if not at all.

I think the waitlist movement begins when the Total # accepted plan to UCLA on AMCAS by now drops below 40.

Which can take a while... Like I previously mentioned, people can literally hold their "plan to enroll" until weeks before orientation.

Does anyone know when the deadline to select commit to enroll for UCLA is? Or when orientation starts?

Does anyone know when the deadline to select commit to enroll for UCLA is? Or when orientation starts?
Dgsom academic calendar says orientation starts 8/5 for all students.

From applicant portal:
"Commit to Enroll – Applicants with acceptance offers will be required to choose Commit to Enroll at DGOSM 3 weeks prior to the start of our pre-matriculation programs (if accepted to PRIME-LA and Charles R. Drew Medical Education Program or UCLA-Caltech MSTP), or 3 weeks prior to the start of class for the Regular MD program. Selection of this option requires the applicant to withdraw all other acceptance offers, including waitlist positions from other medical schools. Failure to select Commit to Enroll may result in the withdrawal of your acceptance offer."

so basically if your current commitment's 3 weeks begins before July 15 (UCLA's 3 weeks) then you're out of the running?

Well, it's hard to say at this point. My guess is that with Dean Hall being gone, the admissions process at UCLA is even more of a mess than usual. Hence, it's taking extra long to get any WL movement. Historically, most of UCLA's waitlist movement has been in May/June. I think it's reasonable to expect some movement during these months if there are not enough PTE and CTE students to fill the class currently.

But who knows... everything's speculation.

Well, it's hard to say at this point. My guess is that with Dean Hall being gone, the admissions process at UCLA is even more of a mess than usual. Hence, it's taking extra long to get any WL movement. Historically, most of UCLA's waitlist movement has been in May/June. I think it's reasonable to expect some movement during these months if there are not enough PTE and CTE students to fill the class currently.

But who knows... everything's speculation.

It's so sad that I remember one of my fellow interviewees asked Dean Hall "What if UCLA over-accepts?"

to which he responded:
"That's highly unlikely under my watch. In the past few years, we have generated a very predictable amount of positions to give at certain points. So it shouldn't be a problem."

I hope his resignation is not linked to the messy situation of this year's admission... but i think we all think that they are linked...