bloskinbreath

2+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Will also be withdrawing my acceptance and attending another school for the same reasons listed above. When I attended second look, current students admitted the slight awkwardness and reduced research opportunities for those not receiving the Geffen, which imho is just not an appropriate atmosphere for a t10 medical school. Will instead be attending a different t10 school that does not offer merit aid to any student (and also frankly had a much more responsive and welcoming administration and student body). Highly disappointed, as UCLA was my number 1 choice going into the cycle.

Of course, UCLA is an amazing institution and an incredible opportunity for any student. I hope my withdrawing opens up a spot for someone on the waitlist!
Hi! I'm a current MS3 with the Geffen Scholarship and I wanted to address a few concerns that seem to have come up on the page.

(1) Geffen scholarship students vs non-Geffen scholarship students: I think first and foremost, there is no difference in research opportunity between Geffen and non-Geffen scholarship students. The school does not have any clear division between the two groups. We do not get ANY preferential treatment in terms of research opportunity. There isn't a special research coordinator for Geffen Scholarship students. No one assigns us a research mentor. The dinner that the geffen scholarship students have during the semester is purely a social gather, centered on taxes lolol. They literally give us sandwiches or some burritos and it's more of an informal "this is how much taxes you pay on the striped and you better pay those taxes" type of deal. Super low key and really not anything special. I promise you're not missing out. Among the student body, it doesn't matter who's a scholar and who's not. No one really cares... At the end of the day, the scholarship does not define social groups or creates any noticeable rift in students. We're all very grateful for the financial gift but to say that somehow we get any preferential treatment is not true at all. My feeling is that you might have spoken to a distressed MS1 who was stressed about their research summer abstracts due that week.

(2) Admissions process vs. student affairs (aka what y'all when just went vs. student life): Yes, the admissions process is awful. Yes, they have been trying be more transparent. Yes, I know it sucks. I almost withdrew my application because of the negative interview experience I had. However, there have been so many student lead initiatives to change the process and it is slowly coming through. UCLA has so many applicants, and they do try to review the applications in a holistic way. (see recent Dean's message about the revoking the hard GPA/MCAT cutoffs). They try really hard to get through the apps and as a result, everything is freaken slow. However, I can assure you student affairs is SO MUCH DIFFERENT. All our Deans are very receptive to students and student feedback. On a personal note, I've been needing time off for doctor appointments quite frequently during clerkships. He's consistently been my advocate helping me navigate through my pre-clinical and clinical years and is always happy to chat.

I hope this clears up any misconceptions that the incoming class may have. I was choosing between several top tier schools and am so happy to have chosen UCLA. Picking a medical school is a deeply personal decision and I know y'all will be happy wherever you end up. In the end, base your decision off of your personal experience and whether you can see yourself there this August. Ignore the rest of the noise. Wishing y'all the best!

Last edited:

Laix

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
wow this thread blew up with the geffen vs non-geffen thing...

At the end of the day, guys, just know that this is SDN. AKA anyone can say anything they with whatever intentions.

My second look experience:
- Amazing current MS1s. I exchanged a lot of phone numbers and one of them is actually helping me to land a spot for the summer research (before school begins) in the lab he's working at for a quick project.
- The foods are great! I liked the toco, pasta...etc. IDK Why they had garlic cream cheese for breakfast... :rolleyes:
- Talked to Dean Hall, super nice guy and actually explained to me why delay occurs (lots of back/forth and/or tabling at both committee meetings, meetings don't occur that often, rater/interviewer procrastination = months of silence). The dude(shout out to your bravery!!) in front of me talking to Dean Hall asked him about the threshold! Dean Hall dodged it and said they are reconsidering and it was a lot more complicated.
- I cringed a little during the DEI pannel... no offense but it was just a little, I swear it's just a little, too much Political correctness for me. UCB people plz don't crucify me.

Reactions: Rachapkis

Aree

2+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
wow this thread blew up with the geffen vs non-geffen thing...

At the end of the day, guys, just know that this is SDN. AKA anyone can say anything they with whatever intentions.

My second look experience:
- Amazing current MS1s. I exchanged a lot of phone numbers and one of them is actually helping me to land a spot for the summer research (before school begins) in the lab he's working at for a quick project.
- The foods are great! I liked the toco, pasta...etc. IDK Why they had garlic cream cheese for breakfast... :rolleyes:
- Talked to Dean Hall, super nice guy and actually explained to me why delay occurs (lots of back/forth and/or tabling at both committee meetings, meetings don't occur that often, rater/interviewer procrastination = months of silence). The dude(shout out to your bravery!!) in front of me talking to Dean Hall asked him about the threshold! Dean Hall dodged it and said they are reconsidering and it was a lot more complicated.
- I cringed a little during the DEI pannel... no offense but it was just a little, I swear it's just a little, too much Political correctness for me. UCB people plz don't crucify me.
Lol don't you want a little break before starting the madness that's med school? You'll have a lot of time for research!

Reactions: shoredreamer3

puahate

Membership Revoked
Removed
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Lol don't you want a little break before starting the madness that's med school? You'll have a lot of time for research!
research for the summer seems relaxing tbh

Apr 5, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
DGSOM's website says that the White Coat Ceremony will take place on August 9 at 4 PM at Royce Hall. If my aging memory is serving me correctly, I recall that Royce Hall is pretty big. Do any current medical students (or anyone else) know if there is a limit on the number of people that can attend the ceremony for any one student?

Radiata20

2+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2016
Status
Medical Student
DGSOM's website says that the White Coat Ceremony will take place on August 9 at 4 PM at Royce Hall. If my aging memory is serving me correctly, I recall that Royce Hall is pretty big. Do any current medical students (or anyone else) know if there is a limit on the number of people that can attend the ceremony for any one student?
No limit (at least not my year)! Bring all your friends and friends of friends and cousins thrice removed—I doubt UCLA would complain about the extra parking cost revenue :laugh:

Toutie

2+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2015
Status
Non-Student
Pretty sure capacity of Royce is just under 2K. So I think there will be enough room for you to bring your 10-15 family members. :rofl:

Laix

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
Im enjoying the life rn haha I mean what's left to enjoy since GOT is finishing up in 5 weeks...

Reactions: Tenniz and Troyzle
Apr 22, 2019
So... does anyone know how many applicants are on the WL and whether the committee will meet again to decide? Browsing previous threads, there seems to be a departure from past years. I recall Dean mentioning everyone would be put on WL post-II but alas this is not the case.

May 2, 2018
Status
So... does anyone know how many applicants are on the WL and whether the committee will meet again to decide? Browsing previous threads, there seems to be a departure from past years. I recall Dean mentioning everyone would be put on WL post-II but alas this is not the case.
Dean mentioned that UCLA does reject applicants post-II at my interview.

Sep 14, 2018
Does the admissions office send out email confirmation of receipt for updates uploaded to the portal?

Mar 9, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, I am currently on the waitlist, and I was debating if I should send a letter of update or letter of interest. I have recently began tutoring high school students, which I would mention, but I don’t have any other big updates. Recently began a job as a barista, lol

UCLA is my top choice, but I keep hearing mixed opinions about letter of interest and letters of intent.

Has anyone gotten off the waitlist with any of these.

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked elsewhere

Radiata20

2+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Given that it is almost time for waitlists to start seeing a lot of movement, while letters without significant updates are still relatively unlikely to help much, they also certainly won't hurt (if written in good taste and free of typos).

Reactions: BETAMERCAPTO42
Aug 1, 2018
Did any accepted student get a quote for tuition? I dont qualify for FA so couldn’t apply and asked them but they said it’ll be finalized in July.

All the other schools I was accepted to gave me a quote for tuition and think its a little weird that they don’t let you know what tuition will be before you decide on a school

May 2, 2018
Status
What’s the story on the admissions website? Think Dean Hall is no longer the dean of admissions?
Looks like the school is going through a lot right now. I think they’re also planning on changing their curriculum soon.

Neuronom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
2+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2017
Status
Reactions: StanleyYelnats

CorallyPink

2+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
It seems like dgsom has had ample time to adjust to Dr. Hall's departure. I don't think it would significantly affect timing. But, I expect the unexpected with ucla.
it seems as though drew/ucla had movement, but not sure if the same committee decides for drew/ucla. Also not sure how many WL movement there will be this year, since apparently not a lot of people dropped ucla (according to an insider source, but don't hold me on it).

Apr 29, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
it seems as though drew/ucla had movement, but not sure if the same committee decides for drew/ucla. Also not sure how many WL movement there will be this year, since apparently not a lot of people dropped ucla (according to an insider source, but don't hold me on it).
Lol. Is your inside source the director of admissions? Cuz then it might be out of date

CorallyPink

2+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
It’s also hearsay from an anonymous source via a stranger on the internet ?
I’m not trying to step on anyone’s toes... just what I heard from someone at UCLA. I’m hoping this also isn’t true since I’m also waiting. Also, I said don’t take my word for it. I was just trying to see if anyone knew anything else/can confirm/deny. A few months prior, I asked admissions about the wl mvt and they said there was going to be substantial wl movement, so I was just trying to see if anyone had more current news...

Aug 24, 2018
To anyone in the facebook group: How many of the 315 currently in it are accepted students (roughly)? Also, does it include CDU? Confused why prior years have nearly 500.. hopefully, it's a good sign?

Tenniz

2+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2017
To anyone in the facebook group: How many of the 315 currently in it are accepted students (roughly)? Also, does it include CDU? Confused why prior years have nearly 500.. hopefully, it's a good sign?
It does include CDU students and usually FB groups are well over the size of the class because many current medical students join as well so they can answer questions etc.

May 2, 2018
Status
It does include CDU students and usually FB groups are well over the size of the class because many current medical students join as well so they can answer questions etc.
You mean many current medical students join so they can advertise their freaking apartments for subletting lol.

Oct 10, 2018
Has anyone gotten off the WL? When can us WL folks expect to hear back? I kinda want to call the office and ask, especially with the change in admissions leadership but I also work and I'd need to squeeze time out to call.
This is just me spitballing, but the “big day” was only 2 days ago. Most admissions offices still need to meet and figure all of their strategies out because they now have an updated idea of what their class will look like.

Jul 27, 2018
3/14 friends at 2nd look I made on FB made announcements they were going elsewhere, but hey, still something!
no.

I would say 50-60% of people I met on a second look who added FB friends with made a committeement post to somewhere else. Including some fellow Geffen scholers. Hope this brings some comforts...

Laix

2+ Year Member
Apr 7, 2017
Status
3/14 friends at 2nd look I made on FB made announcements they were going elsewhere, but hey, still something!
Lol I didn’t count my friends exactly but we might share some of these friends!

Apr 7, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I would say 50-60% of people I met on a second look who added FB friends with made a committeement post to somewhere else. Including some fellow Geffen scholers. Hope this brings some comforts...
curious what other schools UCLA admits ended up choosing? I imagine it must have been particularly hard turning down the Geffen!